Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An American Tragedy

psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

In light of the media attention surrounding this latest tragic shooting I felt the need to make a comment. 

As usual people with other agendas would twist tragedy to their own purpose, and once again video games, guns, and the Constitution of the United States of America are under attack. 

The United States is a unique bird in terms of our level of freedom and personal liberty, at times those freedoms are paid for in great and terrible tragedy.  This is one such time. 

There is much anger, rage, confusion, and finger pointing over this tragedy. There is criticism and condemnation from all over the world where sick people with dark agendas seek to twist this tragedy against our love of freedom.

Millions of people play violent video games all night long, many of those own guns. This tragic event, has nothing to do with video games or gun ownership. It has everything to do with responsibility.

Responsibility, that is the true problem with the United States today. So many people have forgotten that with every right, comes an equal level of responsibility. 

This young man was in pain, was tortured and ill, people knew it. The police knew it, doctors knew it,  family knew it, yet no one took the responsibility to help another human being who needed help so desperately.

What defines the United States, the greatness of this nation, is how we choose to deal with tragic events such as this. How we learn from them, how we come together in support of the families and communities devastated by them. 

In the aftermath of this  tragedy I would remind my fellow Americans of their responsibilities for the rights of freedom and liberty, and the world as a whole of its basic human decency. 

We may be different colors, worship different Gods, hold different beliefs, but when all is said and done each and every last one of us want exactly the same simple thing. 

To live, to love, to be healthy, to be happy.

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Nice speech...But, I don't see how this pertains to MMORPG's. A 'murica moment seems to excuse a lot. I don't think it should excuse spam. I am sure there is a more appropriate board on these forums then this one.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Hmm, Would you kindly link an article for your non-USA friends? kinda lost friend.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• tekhiuntekhiun Member Posts: 2

"The United States is a unique bird in terms of our level of freedom and personal liberty" 

I am sorry  to burst your bubble, but this is not true at all. Many other countries around the globe have more freedom and personal liberty than the US. Not only constitutionally but also culturally, so please kindly stop  using this rhetoric   It's simply not true.

I am not posting this to try to be an ass, I have sympathy  for those who suffered due to this tragic event, but i think it is important to point this out  because you guys seem to think that you live in a nation that is paragon of freedom, and it is just not the case, and you guys have to know this  first  if you really want to become one.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi
    Hmm, Would you kindly link an article for your non-USA friends? kinda lost friend.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/mass-shootings-us_n_3935978.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

It also points to alot of mass shootings going on. Nowhere is perfect but the OP's claim of America learning from their mistakes is rather erroneous. Still, a tragedy.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

The gun-lobby is a lot like our forums here. A mass of fairly sane and balanced people... with a small diamond core of batshit crazy with entitelment issues.

But at least we have a good place to send our doctors to get training on gun-shot wounds.

This have been a good conversation

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by psiic
    The United States is a unique bird in terms of our level of freedom and personal liberty, at times those freedoms are paid for in great and terrible tragedy.  This is one such time. 
    This tragic event, has nothing to do with video games or gun ownership. It has everything to do with responsibility.

I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better myself. There is a price to pay for liberty, and sometimes that price isn't a war - which we love to pretend is all there is to it, so we can send drones and anonymous soldiers to do our dirty work and pretend we have paid our bill. Sometimes that price is living with the consequences of what other people choose to do with their liberty.

I can totally see some idiot politician trying to link this to the release of GTA V or BF4... The only way it could have truely been prevented would have been to eliminate the liberties that allowed it to take place in the first place, and as tragic as this event, and the dozens like it that have preceded it; given the choice between the risk of an event like this (and keeping in mind it could very well be myself or one of my loved ones involved) or loosing my liberty, I would choose liberty every time, and even against larger and more heinous consequences.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I have already seen  the blame violent video game people out with this one.  Maybe we can at least direct them to WoW .

(Just a small joke there, relax).

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by tekhiun

"The United States is a unique bird in terms of our level of freedom and personal liberty" 

I am sorry  to burst your bubble, but this is not true at all. Many other countries around the globe have more freedom and personal liberty than the US. Not only constitutionally but also culturally, so please kindly stop  using this rhetoric   It's simply not true.

I am not posting this to try to be an ass, I have sympathy  for those who suffered due to this tragic event, but i think it is important to point this out  because you guys seem to think that you live in a nation that is paragon of freedom, and it is just not the case, and you guys have to know this  first  if you really want to become one.

This.  Its statements like this that make me ashamed to be an American sometimes.

For one example, most of the states dont even allow the freedom for same sex marriage.   

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

OP, you seem to be living in an illusion. USA as the most free country in the world ? Have you not read the news lately ? Your government spy on your own people,  they record every single phone call, read your emails, hack your computers and you don't even know about it.  If someone dares to announce all this crazy stuff he is hunted all over the world. Your people can be jailed and hold in jail without a court verdict. I'm sorry, but these are  the characteristics of a dictatorship.

And real freedom ends where it touches other people's basic rights. A sad amount of people (including children) die in the USA every year simply because every lunatic can get a gun there and go to shoot in schools, shopping malls or anywhere. That is freedom for a killer, but what about the freedom of the victims ?

• TSChzbarnaTSChzbarna Member UncommonPosts: 14

Methinks George Carlin said it best:

Now if you think you do have rights, one last assignment for you. Next time you're at the computer, get on the Internet, go to Wikipedia. When you get to Wikipedia, in the search field for Wikipedia, I want you to type in "Japanese Americans 1942" and you'll find out all about your precious fucking rights, Okay? All right. You know about it. In 1942, there were 110,000 Japanese American citizens in good standing, law-abiding people who were thrown into internment camps simply because their parents were born in the wrong country. That's all they did wrong. They had no right to a lawyer, no right to a fair trial, no right to a jury of their peers no right to due process of any kind. The only right they had: "Right this way" into the internment camps! Just when these American citizens needed their rights the most, their government took them away! And rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges. That's all we've ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news even badly, you know that every year the list gets shorter and shorter. You see all, sooner or later. Sooner or later, the people in this country are gonna realize the government does not give a fuck about them! The government doesn't care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare or your safety. It simply does not give a fuck about you! It's interested in its own power. That's the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I live in south-Africa whish has a mush higher crime rate cause of the incompetent and corrupt ANC government,

but we have less shootings like these and less victems I personally think its cause we cant buy the kind of weapons you can and its mush harder to get weapons and licences in south-Africa.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by tekhiun

I sort of thought this thread would start to devolve into this kind of discussion.

It's  now important for you to know that there are hordes of people in the U.S. who actually know this. The problem with the rest of the world, and I don't blame them, is that there is a certain type of  U.S. "marketing" that gets posted, written, broadcast because of the ideological underpinnings of our culture.

However,  many educated U.S. citizens know this and you are just responding to a stereotype. Pay it no mind.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I sort of thought this thread would start to devolve into this kind of discussion.

It's  now important for you to know that there are hordes of people in the U.S. who actually know this. The problem with the rest of the world, and I don't blame them, is that there is a certain type of  U.S. "marketing" that gets posted, written, broadcast because of the ideological underpinnings of our culture.

However,  many educated U.S. citizens know this and you are just responding to a stereotype. Pay it no mind.

Agreed.

EDIT: ***ing auto-bold.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This topic really doesn't belong here. It's more of an ethical/political conversation that we don't permit anymore.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.