Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Was Your First RPG (PC or Console)?

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The temple of apshi was my first. I remember you got this book with the game and when you came to a room it told you what page to read. I was so young I never used to bother reading and often had no idea what I was doing. It was for our TRS-80 and had no real graphics. Not really sure you can call it a computer game by todays standards. It was more of a first attempt to move off pen and paper.

Wizardry is the first game I remember that was actually a fully graphical "dungeon" and might and magic is the first one I played where you actually moved around the world....god I hated running into sprites !

• viddsterviddster Member UncommonPosts: 220
    There were probably some earlier ones, but the one that I remember and always springs to mind is Dungeon Master on the Atari ST, although Rogue also has to have a mention.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    King's Quest II.  I <3 Roberta Williams.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Going to show my age now but my first was a text based adventure game called Zodiac on the Oric 1
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by muffins89
    King's Quest II.  I <3 Roberta Williams.
    Thanks for mentioning Mrs. Williams. I had no idea who she was so I Googled her. Thanks for that :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception on Commodore 64 is the first I remember. 

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Pc or console? Where are we, in the kindergarten? :)

I'm not quite sure about my first, in the mid '80s, on C64, probably Ultima IV, Pool of Radiance, or Bard's Tale (tales of the unknow).

On PC somewhere in the early '90s EoB or Pools of Darkness (the 4th of the series).

On console... lol. I've never touched any consoles so far, except PSP because of VCS (can't help it, Vice City rocks)

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Wizardry: Proving grounds of the mad overlord.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

AD&D for the short-lived Aquarius...hooked up to a black and white tv.  Total awesomesauce.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512
    Aklabeth would be my first.  Followed by Wizardry : Proving Grounds and Ultima I.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Phantasy star on the sega master system

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    rings of pwer
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

StarFlight 1986

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

I had a Tandy 1200 and CM-5 moniter.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Hard to remember clearly honestly.  I think it may have been Lufia?
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Kingmob23
    Originally posted by severius

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box CoverWwe

Well if we are counting those than my first was Advanced Dungeon and Dragons for the Intellivision.

Same here. AD&D on the Intellivision was my first too.  The good old days.

However I think I do remember playing Atari's Adventure too.  It looks familiar but it's been so long ago and my memory has been affected by a great many of things since then.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

A good friend of mine's dad worked for EDS, they had 2 Apple computers and a Beta VCR when my parents still had a black and white TV lol. He had this game and we played it ALOT on the downstairs PC in 1984.

image image

In 1980, these 2 P&P games were hot stuff. Though we had some AD&D and MERP books, these two titles were the most fun at the time. Fun times.

He also had an Intellivision and D&D on it. I stayed up all night playing it a few times. For me personally, when I got my first PC, I bought Pool of Radiance in 1990, my first AD&D PC title. I have the Forgotten Realms Collection still in my library. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• hpistihpisti Member UncommonPosts: 78

Bard's Tale, Wasteland, Dragon WarsSSI Gold Box series, Ultima

Bard's Tale III I still have on my hard drive :)

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

This title ofcourse, was my first real MMO. I logged on for the first time March 23rd, 1999. My first billing was April 23rd, 1999 for my first Paid Sub. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

On the Amiga

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    on PC probably EOB1, but before that i already played some dungeon crawler on sinclair spectrum 128.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

The first game I'd actually call an RPG by modern terms due to it having a Leveling Mechanic would be Rogue. Awesome game that I still play every once and a while.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Final Fantasy 1 for the NES, Followed by Legend of Zelda, then Crystalis, and then Legacy of the Wizard.

@Bren

Rogue was the shiznit.  Totally forgot about that.  Yea, that was my 1st one too.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Secret of Mana for the SNES
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by severius

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box Cover

This would be my first RPG also. I remember finding the easter egg in it also, where the developer or writer or something like that hid his name in the puzzle somewhere. Let me tell you it was also scary getting chased by the black dragon.

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

Final Fantasy 1 for the NES, Followed by Legend of Zelda, then Crystalis, and then Legacy of the Wizard.

If LotW counts as rpg than that was my first. Otherwise it would be

North American box art

Followed by Dragon Warrior, FF1, and Zelda

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo