Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Was Your First RPG (PC or Console)?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I was reminiscing a bit today and thought back to the first RPG I ever played. It was Crystalis on the NES. What was yours? I did do some Zelda, but Crsytalis was the game my ex-wife and I played for hours on end.

When I finally got my first PC (commodore 64) Phantasie

and Bards Tale were my major time consumers.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Does kings quest count? If not, I think it was dragon warrior.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I'd say King's Quest counts, even though it is classified as an "Adventure game."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It was Zelda for me.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

(Final Fantasy 6)

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

If we're counting King's Quest then it was my first, if not then it was Pool of Radiance. I think I might still have the box/disks for Pool still stashed away somewhere.

Zelda was my first console rpg.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Bards Tale, Dragon Warrior 1, and since I see people counting it as one The Legend of Zelda were my first ones.
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

Zork was my first RPG. I was too busy role playing outside to play games inside or at arcades wasting time.

I played Advanced D&D on Atari since I played a little table top.

Final Fantasy 1 for NES (which was really 2) US side .. first console RPG

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by severius

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box Cover

played it too.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I remember the King's Quest series myself (right, they were Adventure games).

But I'd say my first RPG was 'Darklands' by Microprose. Buggy as an Alaskan swamp, and that was in the days you had to get patches on floppy disks by snail mail. But still, I had a lot of fun with it. And I'd say that Darklands was the game that got me interested in the RPG genre.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box CoverWwe

Well if we are counting those than my first was Advanced Dungeon and Dragons for the Intellivision.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    original Pirates! on C64
  • AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Rings of Power on the sega master system I think, was an epic game that took me like 4 weeks to complete first time around. was also some dungeon game on a friends apple computer in 1982, stick skeletons attacking you, scary stuff.....

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

These may not count but they are the things that eventually led me to what I believe does.

The progression went like this....

Raiders of the lost Ark (Atari 2600)

Rogue (PC) Which put the bug into me to eventually get my own PC.

Adventures of Zelda (Nintendo)

The Hobbit (Commodore 64)

I really didn't consider these to be role playing games though as much as adventure games based on role playing game theories. 

Curse of the Azure Bonds was the first game that I considered to be a real role playing game.

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Curse of the Azure Bonds Pic

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Edited: Totally forgot about Kings Bounty. It was before everything else.

Quest for glory 4 - Shadows of Darkness.

Baldur's Gate and Fallout series came after.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

dragon warrior for me, as far as RPG's on video games go.

Talk about remembering things.  I remember trying to play Zork, and Ultima and being utterly and completely lost!

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box Cover

Pure awesomeness that you even remembered that game.  I played that also but had forgotten until I saw your link.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Atari 2600, Adventure

Wikipedia link

Adventure Box Cover

Guess my 1st adventure ever is an Atari 2600 console one as well. Only one that pops to mind is Raiders of the Lost Arc, but I'm pretty sure I've played 2600-RPGs before that...

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Actually I think it was Ultima 1 in black and white. That was way before Zelda and I played that when I was a kid. Or was it around the same time. (80s) before the 1986 remake.  Zelda was 1987 but maybe I played ultima 1 after or maybe zelda released later than 1987.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141

The original Wizardry when I was about 8.  You had to make your own maps.  My level 3 map went on for about 6 pages of graph paper all taped together.  A big spawling mess before my dad, a computer engineer, reached level three and discovered the level was full of teleports.  So it still fit into a 30 by 30 grid.  (I forget the actual level dimensions).   After that I just used his maps.

But Ultima 2 and on was all me.  I do vaguely remember that 'Adventure' game though.

• aspectofgoreaspectofgore Member Posts: 17
    fallout

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Morrowind.   Before that it was all 4X and strategy games.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Atari 2600, AdventureWikipedia link

Back in high school, I had an acquaintance that had an Atari 2600. I remember playing Adventure for maybe 10 minutes, when I died :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

Tir Na Nog and Avalon for me, on the spectrum. Also remember playing most of the Level 9 games for ages, especially Return to Eden and The Worm in Paradise!

Shortly moved on to The Bards Tale, Bloodwych and Lords of Midnight and that was me hooked!