Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OFFICIAL: Cheating, exploiting, botting, terrain glitching, and node teleporting confirmed!

CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
Proof: http://imgur.com/I89Pt7c

How it works:
The gil-sellers hack the terrain. They position themselves in walls, under the ground, and invisible (you can't see their character models, period). This prevents them from being interrupted or getting agro.

The next step is they bot/macro the nodes. I'm inclinded to believe it's a bot as opposed to a macro, given that they are on around a 20 second timetable per 4 nodes.

Furthermore, they teleport between nodes instantly. I'm not even sure how they manage that one, but they're legitimately insta-warping between nodes to maximize their time spent farming vs. walking.

This screen is from Central Thanalan, on the Ultros server. I'm sure you have these same types of people on your server, cheating the same way.

SE better get their **** together; this kind of stuff ruined FFXI, and if they don't seriously crack down on it, it's going to ruin FFXIV too.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Saw this earlier in Thanlan area but i thought maybe i was lagging or it was a glitch.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

nothing new here. it happens in every mmo since the beginning of time.

its in SE's best interest to nip this stuff on the bud, so Im sure they will. The game is barely a month old, lets hold off on the Doom&Gloom ok?

I hope since you cared enough to post this here, where itll do no good what so ever, that you also reported it using the correct avenues.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

its in SE's best interest to nip this stuff on the bud, so Im sure they will. The game is barely a month old, lets hold off on the Doom&Gloom ok?

No, it was in their best interest to go out of their way to prevent or at least limit it from happening in the first place, their failure to do so is not really excusable, this isn't their first time to the rodeo.

People need to stop apologizing for development houses and start holding them to the higher standards they should be. 

After all, this is a P2P game, what exactly are you getting for your money?

Improved security and playing experience should darn well be at the top of the list.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

Originally posted by Kyleran

No, it was in their best interest to go out of their way to prevent or at least limit it from happening in the first place, their failure to do so is not really excusable, this isn't their first time to the rodeo.

People need to stop apologizing for development houses and start holding them to the higher standards they should be. 

Improved security and playing experience should darn well be at the top of the list.

oh please. name ONE mmo that hasnt had the same issues. IM sure you can understand that SE was a bit overwhelmed by the games reception and the Gil sellers bombardment. If you arent willing to give them time to deal with the issues maybe you should step away from ALL mmos for a while.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

At the same time, it does happen in every MMO.  I've not played one yet that doesn't have this kind of stuff.  A lot of the time it's not even RMT, it's the players themselves trying to gain any advantage they can.

You can't prevent this stuff, it's going to happen.  You do have to be firm with the ban stick though and quickly before their items hit the market.

• NleonNleon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    If this surprised you, wait until you meet the bot parties.
  • Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Cymdai
    Proof: http://imgur.com/I89Pt7c

How it works:
    The gil-sellers hack the terrain. They position themselves in walls, under the ground, and invisible (you can't see their character models, period). This prevents them from being interrupted or getting agro.

The next step is they bot/macro the nodes. I'm inclinded to believe it's a bot as opposed to a macro, given that they are on around a 20 second timetable per 4 nodes.

Furthermore, they teleport between nodes instantly. I'm not even sure how they manage that one, but they're legitimately insta-warping between nodes to maximize their time spent farming vs. walking.

This screen is from Central Thanalan, on the Ultros server. I'm sure you have these same types of people on your server, cheating the same way.

SE better get their **** together; this kind of stuff ruined FFXI, and if they don't seriously crack down on it, it's going to ruin FFXIV too.

Yep, seen it on Moogle (eu) in western Thanalan, probably mining copper nodes, thought it was a glitch as well... Seems to be part of the game. Doesn't affect me personaly, but if SE want to keep their game 'clean' they have to do something about this illegal way of exploiting the game.

My favorite part is that there's immediately 1 asshat on the official forums whose like ""You didn't discover anything, stop acting like you did."

I will never understand why people post mindless drivel solely to try and undermine posts that are there to improve the community. It's like... what? You're mad I'm advocating the prevention of exploits on the official forums? I'm sooooo sorry to have inconvenienced that undoubtedly super important person by using the proper and official channels.

Ugh.

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    the lofty realm of P2P was supposed to be free of this scourge.
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I never really got suspicious of this sort of thing until the last couple days.Created an alt character that started in Gridania (Siren server NA).Took my archer through North Shroud maybe 3-4 times while leveling,getting 1st few lvls then central then back,plus the hunting log.

Anyway I noticed this same character was always at the nodes every time,sometimes I would watch him and he would sit at the spot until it spawned,then hop to another :(

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

actually you are not the only or first to post about this issues on the forums. Another thread even if you claim it "Official" really does no good. Wouldve been better to add your finding to one of the already multipage threads on the topic. I do agree with that poster on the official forums some what.. it seems like you are attention seeking a bit by thinking your post is special or will make more of a difference than any of the others.

here are 3 threads, still on the fron page of the appropriate forum*

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/90731-Port-hack-while-mining-ore?p=1264889&viewfull=1#post1264889

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/92431-Mining-bot-teleport

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/90762-Underground-Botters

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by flclimax
    the lofty realm of P2P was supposed to be free of this scourge.

Said no one........ever.

Prevention is not going to happen. Everyone knows and accepts this. It's really about how it's handled.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Yeah,

So what about this makes it "OFFICIAL" or "confirmed!"

It's a shame that it's happening, but it's not like it was in, say, Aion.

I hope they get it clamped down before it has more serious ramifications, but let's not go all Chicken Little around here.

It's a catchy title.

Are you more likely to look at a thread that's like "Suspicious behavior", or one that says "Official!" with a list of the types of cheating?

It seemed more like common sense to me than anything... spread awareness.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Alders

At the same time, it does happen in every MMO.  I've not played one yet that doesn't have this kind of stuff.  A lot of the time it's not even RMT, it's the players themselves trying to gain any advantage they can.

You can't prevent this stuff, it's going to happen.  You do have to be firm with the ban stick though and quickly before their items hit the market.

Seriously.  Prevention is impossible, especially for a game with this kind of popularity.

Getting on the developer for this just makes you look like someone with unrealistic expectations.

Now a better chat filter, THAT is what you can get on SE about.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by Cymdai

My favorite part is that there's immediately 1 asshat on the official forums whose like ""You didn't discover anything, stop acting like you did."

I will never understand why people post mindless drivel solely to try and undermine posts that are there to improve the community. It's like... what? You're mad I'm advocating the prevention of exploits on the official forums? I'm sooooo sorry to have inconvenienced that undoubtedly super important person by using the proper and official channels.

Ugh.

I actually upvoted that guy.. There's literally nothing positive about that message. I think your intentions were initially good, but all something like your post will do is drive people away from the game. You think SE hasn't heard or seen these guys doing it? They know. Detecting / Eliminating botters is often a Cat & Mouse game. Once the exploits are confirmed - SE has to figure out how they did it, and do their best to eliminate it. This happens for many many games. Especially when the majority of the client information is located on your computer. Sorry, but it really just looked like you were just trying to make a name for yourself, instead of just reporting a problem.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

No AFK timers at launch, no anti spamming in shout.  No easy way to blacklist.  SE was asleep at the wheel when it came to protecting their players or even thinking ahead a tiny bit with regards to exploiters.

its like they though their player base was going to be a bunch of nuns.  I've never seen a AAA title lacking the most common defenses.