Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A REAL review of FF ARR from IGN

Comments

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Wow...do we differ in opinion on SWTOR - I find that game to be terrible in comparison to FF ARR and I'm a really big Star Wars fan...so it was doubly tough for me. I think you're wrong about the 1 month die down...I think the game will continue to grow and get better and has the best "potential" of any MMO I've played in years.

Now...this potential could be squandered if SE fails to come up with a very good, meaningful 1st patch come November/December - and I'll have plenty enough to keep me busy until then. Time will indeed tell.

The launch was too big not to have a one month die down.  i dont think it will be as drastic as most other recent games, but it will happen.

One big advantage FFXIV has:  one of the first groups to jump ship from both SWTOR and Rift were the PvPers.  This group never joined FFXIV in the first place.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    ehh anyone can agree with mmorpgs you can't rate them until alteast 1 year in to see where the company goes with the game. all this early crap is just sill until you see them make changes to how they want the game.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

IGN and "Real" review. That made me giggle...

Sorry, hard to take them ever seriously, considering they are far from giving good reviews.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Sorry, hard to take them ever seriously, considering they are far from giving good reviews.

You may giggle but the IGN review was a helluva lot more fair and accurate than the crap being opined on this forum.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38

I don't take any professional review seriously, just like I don't take random reviews by forum posters seriously. 

Nothing beats watching a few streams, a few youtube gameplay videos, and a good solid reading on the main website regarding in game features (as well as developer roadmaps for the future)

Anyway using these kinds of reviews are the same as xfire numbers ect...just use to push an opinion....

Even if I like the game and the review is positive...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Purutzil

You may giggle but the IGN review was a helluva lot more fair and accurate than the crap being opined on this forum.

Who's to decide what's accurate when it comes to opinions? As for ign's review, I would certainly hope it's less emotionally driven than a typical MMORPG.com forum post. A portion of the community posts simply to stir up forum PVP here. Even considering that there are plenty of posters here who attempt to be fair in their assessments, both positive and negative.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

8.6/10 is way too high.  That reviewer used to be with gamespy and I simply don't share his view of MMORPGs.

FFXIV is a shallow game with more simplistic than ever gameplay and all I can say is, give it a month or two, and this will be SWTOR 2.0.

There just isn't much to this game.  You speed level to 50 with a weak story quest, weaker generic quests, and fate grinding which is just xp welfare for dummies.  At endgame you grind a very few instances.  That's it.

Once the new game smell wears off, we'll see.  People thought SWTOR was the greatest game ever when it first released too, and with just about every other failure since WoW it's been the same story.  Start out sub based, too solo, too ez-mode, weak endgame, and in the end can't retain players, and F2P candidate within a year.

FFXIV has a lot less going on than the failed clones before it, has boatloads of quality of life issues, and plays dumber and faster than any previous clone.  Logically this game should fall even faster than previous failures.  We shall see.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

All I ever see on this site is if there is a review that is written by a professional writer, then they are bought off. Technically "no duh" you don't pay a sub to view this site, or IGN, but game companies pay to advertise cause you go there. Doesn't mean they have to give a good review.

Then I read through some people's comments and either they cannot comprehend what they read, or didn't read the article to begin with. Then you got to deal with the score they were given, it's not a number that is just pulled out of the air, but to understand it, you have to understand how audit weights work. Let's say your auditing say...a bathroom. If you give the toilets a 2/10 cause they are filthy,  but you give ledges a 10/10 cause there is no dust on top of the partitions, the room doesn't get a 6 overall. Toilets weigh more than ledges in overall score.

I might not agree with the 8.6 score (I actually kinda do, maybe 8.1, but hey I'm not going to make a big deal about it) but I am not going to claim that they were bought cause I don't know the formula they use when making the score. I imagine music doesn't weigh as much as graphics, and graphics not as much as gameplay, but hey I don't know. (BTW, neither do you)

Seriously, go to IGN, look up reviews, and start at the bottom of the scores.

Compare

http://www.ign.com/games/action-girlz-racing/wii-889218

with

http://www.ign.com/games/final-fantasy-xiv-online/pc-20000148

Is the only real difference that SE is a big time company? Action Girls Racing just didn't pay them enough right? Get over it. The game is not perfect, but it passes. an 86 out of a 100 is a B student, you got everything mostly right but you didn't make perfection. FF14 is not perfect, no one said it's perfect, but compared to how bad games can actually be, yeah it's an 8.6 easy.

One more thing about all this, any review I have ever read on this site from the forum posters is nothing but rants and raves and opinionated garbage. They weigh things with extreme prejudice and hit too critically and take off too much for things that are really not that big a deal. There is also too much misunderstanding of art design vs. graphics quality. Also when you have quest in a game that you don't want to read in the first place you can't get mad cause they are there. I see this all the time, people complain about worthless quest everywhere, but I just don't see it. Not every one is a enthralling winner, but that's kind of the point, your helping mundane people with mundane things. 

The actual written review was a fair account of the game, obviously written from someone who enjoyed themselves, which also speaks about the game. I do not thing that Hoard was the greatest game ever, but I did enjoy it. Like another user posted, the metacritic score is doing good too, so it's not just one reviewer who liked it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Thanks for this. Not sure the jaded...........rubbish comment was necessary, but the review seemed pretty fair.

But my usual approach to games is try it yourself. One players perfect game can be another's anathema. Try it and make your own mind up - bearing in mind of course that your opinion can change as you progress through the game.

To me, it's a tried and trusted mmo formulaic game. How much staying power it will have depends as usual on:

1) how fast players eat up the end progression content v how quickly SE keep the raid/gear treadmill going

2) the variety of other end game content

Agree with you about trying personally and have followed always this advice. As long game has 3rd person view and can move avatar with mouse, I will buy and try.

And was rarely sorry. ARR is not this case, total, incredible disappointment. Maybe because always enjoyed so much FF series on console, not sure. Maybe because purchased ARR version knowing I do not have to, could download for free client because have purchased 1.0.

Never in past have stopped to play any game so fast, got bored so fast by all aspects. Except sound and environment (with great weather effects). This is my opinion but I'm happy if game will stay because i'm sure many are very happy with it. Problem is if will make enough money to stay alive and possibly expand.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

OP if you don't like the people that post here why do you?  Are you on a holy crusade or something.

IGN are really a very untrustworthy review site, they need money from advertising and companies that want a good review simply push money at them before to color their opinions, they didn't even offer seperate reviews of both systems.  You are even starting to see the companies offering money to youtube reviewers these days to make promos to do the same.  Angry joe etc.

End of the day reviews have been proven to be untrustworthy anyway, tor and gw2 proved this.

You obviously like the game, many do not.  There is something to the dislike to the game because if this was a genuinly good game we would all be still playing it and wanting it to be successful to play it for a long time.  As it is we don't and it won't.

You're fighting a losing war, as more time passes more people will start getting bored and turn on the game.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by icculus2112
    Originally posted by akkedis86
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by DMKano

IGN reviews - lulz

http://www.ign.com/games/star-wars-the-old-republic/pc-816935

9/10

IMO SWTOR was 7/10 for the first month, after that 6/10 

FFARR is a much better game (initially) and is a better game after a month, but suffers from lack of content and a very small world.

When I started FFARR itr felt like 8.5/10, after I hit 50 feels like 7/10

Hehe...yeah..that review may have been skewed by the reviewers nerd-love for Star Wars. What REALLY hurt SWTOR more than anything was utter lack of content added in subsequent patches and a failure to fix some glaring technical problems along with a rather boring game world...bad crafting system...etc etc.

FF ARR will go the same way if SE doesn't come through with it's planned patch in November with Housing....etc:

http://zantetsuken.net/news/final-fantasy-xivs-patch-future-2-1-2-2-and-beyond

Everyone agree about how bad EA and BW handled SWTOR after launch, till the server merge and the anouncement of content updates every 45-60 days, now the game is actually good, and probably with a few more updates, like the space pvp xpac or dlc, the game will be close to be that SWTOR mmo that everyone was waiting. My point is, MMOs need time but FF need and update pretty fast or they gonna lose an isane amount of players after the free month.

This!

But seriously. Let's be honest. Final Fantasy had good sales as no other high-budget MMOs have come out recently. It has a niche market, and you will see people leaving the game fairly fast.

And to be honest, FF is not a tripleA game. It has no staying power, and is largely unvoiced. I give it a 7/10 tops. It is incomplete, and lacks what other games consider vital. 

On the other hand, I've been playing SWTOR for more than a year now, and I cannot shake it. I will NOT sub to this low-budget FF game, and I demand quality for me to justify spending money.

While I do agree that putting things behind a paywall, even for subscribers is a bit harsh, a lot has to be said for the story, and immersiveness of SWTOR.

Some people might like FF: ARR, but I certainly do not.

Let me provide some facts:

1)It has slow, and dumbed-down combat at-least for the first 20-30 levels(Even worse than Rift). 

2)The quests are insignificant, click here, do this type of thing.

3)Quests are largely unvoiced, and when it is they have not even bothered with lip syncing.

4)Lack of PVP(I know FF has not had PVP historically, but this is supposed to be a big title.)

5)Generally the game feels incomplete, small and uninspiring.

They are riding a IP wave, and the game will die down once every bodies 1 month free pass runs out.

If this is a re-release, I cannot begin to think how awful the original was.

The irony is this is coming from someone who has played SWToR over a year.

"fact" 1 also applies to SWTOR, which also has dumbed down content.  the GCD may be faster, but that doesnt make the combat any better.

"fact" 2 also applies to SWTOR.  The class story lines are great but the individual quests are mostly mundane.  The main storyline in FFXIV is good, and the class quests are entertaining (not deep like SWTOR, but thats where the main story is)

fact 3 (which is the first to actually be a fact) can be a negative to SWtOR because many (I am not one btw) feel that the voice overs for all the mundane quests is terrible and they just spam spacebar.  Its tough to dispute that this was a giant waste of resources.  

fact 4 (again, an actual fact) is a 'who cares' for most.  And its coming anyway.

"fact" 5 (not even close to a fact) is especially laughable coming from someone playing SWTOR for a year.  SWTOR featured tiny planets and overall probably less real estate than FFXIV.  SWTOR was also in much worse shape at launch than FFXIV when it lacked things such as guild banks or UI editing options.  these are the signs of an unfinished game.  Also, its not like SWTOR had a ton of endgame content either.

And the only reason SWTOR still exists is its IP.

I dont mean to dump on SWTOR, but this is why people's opinions on this site are mostly garbage.  You are disliking a game for flaws that were even more pronounced in your game of choice.  pot/kettle/black

And you mention what you consider to be the bad points, but you dont counter it with the good points, such as the crafting system, the armory system, the cities, the fact that the zones actually hold more than 100-200 people, etc

I completely agree with you for what it is worth. 

I was mostly trying to make a reference.

I would like nothing more than to have a fresh great MMO, but this is not it for me.

I Value story, and FF seems to have a great story, but nothing else that would keep me.

I am not here to argue though.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I'll agree, the review seemed pretty fair, was focused on what the game actually delivered, more focused on how what it is, and not so much on what is either coming later or on features that will never be.

Scores a bit too high to my liking, but I find all sites overrate titles compared to how I would do them.  Still, glad to see it wasn't give an 9.5/10 or something really silly like that.

But that said, I still value the opinions of others, I can handle it if someone is overly critical, or even outright lying, but then I don't see myself as the "defender" of any game out there.

(OK, maybe just a little bit for EVE)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by amber-r

OP if you don't like the people that post here why do you?  Are you on a holy crusade or something.

IGN are really a very untrustworthy review site, they need money from advertising and companies that want a good review simply push money at them before to color their opinions, they didn't even offer seperate reviews of both systems.  You are even starting to see the companies offering money to youtube reviewers these days to make promos to do the same.  Angry joe etc.

End of the day reviews have been proven to be untrustworthy anyway, tor and gw2 proved this.

You obviously like the game, many do not.  There is something to the dislike to the game because if this was a genuinly good game we would all be still playing it and wanting it to be successful to play it for a long time.  As it is we don't and it won't.

You're fighting a losing war, as more time passes more people will start getting bored and turn on the game.

I've asked myself that same question :)

The handful of people on this forum that seem to hate every game that comes out and then proceed to make dire predictions about it's early demise are not going to affect any MMO if it's done well - and FF ARR is done VERY well. 

The people on this forum are mostly bitter...jaded vets who feel they've been burned over and over again by AAA MMO games and it shows with the amount of negative posts. No MMO will EVER satisfy this crowd IMO.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

The review seemed fair however!

The game was made for consoles. Graphics and gameplay dumbed down for console players. I have a $3000 Desktop PC sitting on my desk waiting for a great game with some good graphics and artwork. That said I'm playing AC2 right now and EQ2 sometimes~. Not AoC, Aion, AO, CO, D3, DDO, DCU, DAoC, EVE, FE, GW, Rift, STO, SWTOR, which I have bought and tried. 

I have never identified with the FF universe and never owned a console. I do not know why people hate on the game so much. It's either fun or it isn't for you. What should anyone else care if someone plays it and likes it or not? For me, it's not going to make the cut and though I say this without trying it, taking everything into consideration, I'd say I'm pretty good at judging what I like and don't like. (even though I've tried so many games) I guess I'm just tired of Meh~ Burned out and not willing to burn more $ on them. I'd go back to EQ or Vanguard, EQ2 or AC or AC2 before I blow more coin on these Single Player games. Rag on the older games if you wish but they have what these new games do not, my desire to keep going back and logging into them. And that is saying something. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The handful of people on this forum that seem to hate every game that comes out and then proceed to make dire predictions about it's early demise are not going to affect any MMO if it's done well - and FF ARR is done VERY well. 

The people on this forum are mostly bitter...jaded vets who feel they've been burned over and over again by AAA MMO games and it shows with the amount of negative posts. No MMO will EVER satisfy this crowd IMO.

The weird part is your post history isn't clear of this type of activity. Why all of a sudden does this type of posting bother you, when you've done it yourself, when you didn't like something?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Distopia

The weird part is your post history isn't clear of this type of activity. Why all of a sudden does this type of posting bother you, when you've done it yourself, when you didn't like something?

Double standards. We human beings have a very short term memory when it comes to our own actions in past but we are very quick to point fingers at others.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by Stone_Fountain

The review seemed fair however!

The game was made for consoles. Graphics and gameplay dumbed down for console players. I have a $3000 Desktop PC sitting on my desk waiting for a great game with some good graphics and artwork. That said I'm playing AC2 right now and EQ2 sometimes~. Not AoC, Aion, AO, CO, D3, DDO, DCU, DAoC, EVE, FE, GW, Rift, STO, SWTOR, which I have bought and tried. 

I have never identified with the FF universe and never owned a console. I do not know why people hate on the game so much. It's either fun or it isn't for you. What should anyone else care if someone plays it and likes it or not? For me, it's not going to make the cut and though I say this without trying it, taking everything into consideration, I'd say I'm pretty good at judging what I like and don't like. (even though I've tried so many games) I guess I'm just tired of Meh~ Burned out and not willing to burn more $ on them. I'd go back to EQ or Vanguard, EQ2 or AC or AC2 before I blow more coin on these Single Player games. Rag on the older games if you wish but they have what these new games do not, my desire to keep going back and logging into them. And that is saying something. 

Try Tera and Guild wars 2, those will tax your system.

I'm trying to be more positive :) Seriously...I don't go around bashing every new MMO that comes out saying it has one month to live after launch and the only MMO I was really vocally opposed to was SWTOR - which WAS bad at the time. I'm not sure what's going on with SWTOR lately...anyone know if the game runs any better....etc?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I'm trying to be more positive :) Seriously...I don't go around bashing every new MMO that comes out saying it has one month to live after launch and the only MMO I was really vocally opposed to was SWTOR - which WAS bad at the time. I'm not sure what's going on with SWTOR lately...anyone know if the game runs any better....etc?

Swtor is along with wow most fun duo mmo ever released. "Fun" of course can mean different thing for i.e. pvp lover, pve lover, .....I could live for decades with this two only. Swtor was great at release and become just better in time. Overall quality (complex combat, fun, every keypress or mouse movement/button does just what it is supposed to), environment, ah, crafting, ...) is better of course with wow, but I simply love more swtor lore.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Instead of actually watching the video of course people would rather just bash IGN or instead of hanging out on the game forum they like they would rather come here and belittle and get attention towards their game cause it is dying.

This is a good review that points out the positives and negatives of the game and is dead on accurate great review. Haters gonna hate, just think some of you jaded gamers need to actually find a game to play rather than whining all day.

Thanks for sharing, it is a real good review.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

This may be the first time I've seen IGN lauded as a credible review source....

Having said that It isn't as biased as I thought it would be given that IGN has been a FFXIV hype machine for almost a month now.

Seems like a mostly  fair review of the first few weeks of this game.

Originally posted by Braindome

Instead of actually watching the video of course people would rather just bash IGN or instead of hanging out on the game forum they like they would rather come here and belittle and get attention towards their game cause it is dying.

This is a good review that points out the positives and negatives of the game and is dead on accurate great review. Haters gonna hate, just think some of you jaded gamers need to actually find a game to play rather than whining all day.

Thanks for sharing, it is a real good review.

Right on the money - thanks and it was m,y pleasure :)

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    "I agree with this review so it is real."

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Really?  The game is a 7 at best.  Great graphics, cool class system with being able to level everything on a single character, stronger emphasis on crafting, everything else the same MMORPG standard (which is fine and functional).  None of that takes into account the horrors of the relaunch with shutting down servers and character creation or the fact that people have multiple 50's playing casually prior to first month being up.  Good game, but it's a C average at best.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Really?  The game is a 7 at best.  Great graphics, cool class system with being able to level everything on a single character, stronger emphasis on crafting, everything else the same MMORPG standard (which is fine and functional).  None of that takes into account the horrors of the relaunch with shutting down servers and character creation or the fact that people have multiple 50's playing casually prior to first month being up.  Good game, but it's a C average at best.

And how long did you play the game for? 

This discussion has been closed.