Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iv'e been banned

Comments

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

oh really? SE stated that some of their info has been leaked and to change ur info. the rep I spoke to said the same thing although im surprised he did. so sorry that u r incorrect about me looking at gold sites or pwr lvling sites.
    obviously u missed the original post about SE's info being leaked. if u play FF then look at the launch screen and read their thread about leaked info. its right there plain as day.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by spookydom
    I just had an email today from Square saying my account had been closed because of suspicious activity......Ummm?.....I don't even own a copy of the game. I had a beta account but that's it. Seems like this hacking epidemic a bit of a problem for you guys at the moment then. My sympathies. 

It probably wasnt from Square.  I get like 1-2 of those a month in my spam box, saying my GW2 account has been closed, where I can still play fine, or my WoW account has been closed (not subbed anymore) .

Ignore it, its just a phishing email trying to get you to input your login on a fake website.

this happened to me on Thursday and I have yet to receive an email saying my account is suspended.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Every game should implement an external keychain authenticator.

While not 100% effective against other tactics like social engineering to get the authenticator removed, or man-in-the-middle attacks, it does really help to prevent a huge amount of problems.

Keyloggers are generic, but if someone really wanted to take your account, they would at least need to craft a virus to your specific game (+use the code before you do, change the password, then block access and hope the user doesn't notice for awhile (weeks) .. ie not good black market material that sits around until sold in bulk).

/shrug

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by silverreign

its my fault because I have an iphone. I could have downloaded the free token to FF just like I did for rift, WoW, and swtor. yes SE had their info compromised. And yes im sure that's how my account was hacked. but had I taken the 20 seconds to download the token and apply it, this wouldn't have happened. so that's why its my fault.

Do you watch copulation or enter fansites on the computer you use for FFXIV? Those are likely sources of major hacking:/. 

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by silverreign its my fault because I have an iphone. I could have downloaded the free token to FF just like I did for rift, WoW, and swtor. yes SE had their info compromised. And yes im sure that's how my account was hacked. but had I taken the 20 seconds to download the token and apply it, this wouldn't have happened. so that's why its my fault.
    Do you watch copulation or enter fansites on the computer you use for FFXIV? Those are likely sources of major hacking:/. 

lol. no I don't. the computer is rarely used for anything other than mmo's. the occasional amazon or ebay order. not much else.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

oh really? SE stated that some of their info has been leaked and to change ur info. the rep I spoke to said the same thing although im surprised he did. so sorry that u r incorrect about me looking at gold sites or pwr lvling sites.
    obviously u missed the original post about SE's info being leaked. if u play FF then look at the launch screen and read their thread about leaked info. its right there plain as day.

This?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/7360774bfa00f42c1264a0d58b41eaefc2aeef7b

They did not announce that they were compromised, they claimed the info was gathered from unaffiliated services and because players multi-purpose account names and passwords they were used to gain access to FF14 accounts.

I'm not going to pretend to know your situation or infer who is at fault in it.

Originally posted by Dagon13
    Originally posted by silverreign oh really? SE stated that some of their info has been leaked and to change ur info. the rep I spoke to said the same thing although im surprised he did. so sorry that u r incorrect about me looking at gold sites or pwr lvling sites. obviously u missed the original post about SE's info being leaked. if u play FF then look at the launch screen and read their thread about leaked info. its right there plain as day.
    This?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/7360774bfa00f42c1264a0d58b41eaefc2aeef7b

They did not announce that they were compromised, they claimed the info was gathered from unaffiliated services and because players multi-purpose account names and passwords they were used to gain access to FF14 accounts.

yes. that's my bad. I read it wrong at first. however the rep I spoke to said something had happened but wouldn't elaborate what that was. he did say that there was an awful lot of accounts hacked and banned in a very short amount of time.
    Originally posted by Konfess
    Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat

[edit].

Why do you keep saying it is your fault? It is not your fucking fault. And you are giving indication that whoever get hacked is responsible for the crime. No, it is not. I don't understand why this site has such 'culture' of putting hacking problem to victims. It is very immature and very low in culture. It is first of all, the criminals' fault and then it is the company's fault that they can't properly punish and control the proper targets.

You have to be mad not just to the hackers but also to the company who gives you an unnecessary extra problem by banning victims' accounts. 

Come on, people, COMMON SENSE, WHERE DID YOU PUT IT?

You are correct, it is never the victims fault.  The reason society blames the victim is to reinforce the idea that the crime could not happen to anyone else.  It is a defense mechanism that leaves everyone defenseless and vulnerable to attack.  The victims are obviously weak, "so attack them again".  "Blame the victim for what has been done to them."

Criminals are to blame.  Equally so are the Corporations that place their customer in danger is a total disregard for anyone's safety.  This happened before in recent history with SOE, it's not like SE didn't know this could happen.

Read Integrity Compromised, and Hacked!, to find out what is being done to prevent this.

BOTH the player and the company have a responsibility to account security.  Any person that doesn't take steps to protect themselves is either foolish or ignorant.  This includes doing continued business with a company that does not protect your security.  Anyone that says otherwise is equally foolish and/or ignorant.  

• NleonNleon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    It says "companys' "which is a typo. If it was "companies' " it would mean other external sources. If it was "company's" it would mean Square Enix. So its not clear.

Originally posted by silverreign oh really? SE stated that some of their info has been leaked and to change ur info. the rep I spoke to said the same thing although im surprised he did. so sorry that u r incorrect about me looking at gold sites or pwr lvling sites. obviously u missed the original post about SE's info being leaked. if u play FF then look at the launch screen and read their thread about leaked info. its right there plain as day.
    This?

yes. that's my bad. I read it wrong at first. however the rep I spoke to said something had happened but wouldn't elaborate what that was. he did say that there was an awful lot of accounts hacked and banned in a very short amount of time.

It's very possible that we'll see an announcement in the coming days/weeks.  I hope not but we'll see.

Originally posted by Nleon
    It says "companys' "which is a typo. If it was "companies' " it would mean other external sources. If it was "company's" it would mean Square Enix. So its not clear.

"Currently, we have confirmed that a third party is using account names and passwords, thought to be obtained from security breaches of other companys' online services, in attempts to gain unauthorized access to Square Enix accounts."

I suppose it is open to interpretation, but it clearly states "other" so I think their intent is fairly clear.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    I swear by my security tokens.  I have one for Blizzard, SOE, SWTOR, and now Square.  Cheapest and best investment ever.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • NleonNleon Member UncommonPosts: 28

"Currently, we have confirmed that a third party is using account names and passwords, thought to be obtained from security breaches of other companys' online services, in attempts to gain unauthorized access to Square Enix accounts."

I suppose it is open to interpretation, but it clearly states "other" so I think their intent is fairly clear.

Maybe but I don't think that a huge company as Square Enix has only one online service.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    There was an announcement by SE last week saying: "Currently, we have confirmed that a third party is using account names and passwords, thought to be obtained from security breaches of other companys' online services, in attempts to gain unauthorized access to Square Enix accounts."  So basically, if you used the same account/password on another service then you should change that info immediately.  It's a known issue though so I think you should get your account back soon.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by spookydom
    I just had an email today from Square saying my account had been closed because of suspicious activity......Ummm?.....I don't even own a copy of the game. I had a beta account but that's it. Seems like this hacking epidemic a bit of a problem for you guys at the moment then. My sympathies. 

LOL - you too huh?   I get this to many games I am not even subscribed to like Rifts, SWTOR, Warhammer - I think the phishers just toss spam out to whomever ends up on their mailing list.   image

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Sorry to hear about your troubles, OP. I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Even accounts with security tokens are getting hacked. I doubt its your fault OP.Join the club of some thousand stolen accounts for which SE does nothing
    I doubt token users are getting hacked. The hackers go after easy ones, they just move on, they don't have time to break the secure accounts.
    True but nowadays they mostly  target system databases to find security holes so they can bypass entirely the log in procedure.I tried to find the topic in the official forums about people getting hacked even though they had security tokens but they deleted it.
    I remember Blizzard making an official statement that there were zero cases of compromised accounts that had a security token applied, despite many players claiming otherwise.  I'm not saying which party, the company or the players, are lying, but you should take anything anyone says on the internet with a grain of salt.
    In the MMOs I've had secure accounts with, *I* can not log on without my key. I don't see how someone else could...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Every big popular game will be a huge target.

Key things to remember,do NOT hit any email unless you know who it is.Just send it to the trash if you do not.You can hold your mouse over an email to see the address of the sender,trust me do not even click it .

Secondly do not use the same password as other sites,you will get hacked.You simply cannot trust if developers are selling your emails to other advertisers,those advertisers could be non legit.

BTW their investigation will be VERY slow.I highly doubt it takes that long ,it is a matter of them only doing it once a month.I had to wait 3 weeks for them to investigate,geesh i could do 50 accounts in that time,it is a lazy effort on their part,i almost quit playing because of it.

What pissed me off was my account was logged in from Japan,so it was a no braIner and still took them 3 weeks.Furthermore their shoulld be security that sends a red flag when someone tries to login from a foreign country.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat

Why do you keep saying it is your fault? It is not your fucking fault. And you are giving indication that whoever get hacked is responsible for the crime. No, it is not. I don't understand why this site has such 'culture' of putting hacking problem to victims. It is very immature and very low in culture. It is first of all, the criminals' fault and then it is the company's fault that they can't properly punish and control the proper targets.

You have to be mad not just to the hackers but also to the company who gives you an unnecessary extra problem by banning victims' accounts. 

Come on, people, COMMON SENSE, WHERE DID YOU PUT IT?

Exactly, you need some common sense.

Hacking happens.  Of course it's the hackers fault you get hacked.  The company (SE in this case) has nothing to do with it.  But since WE KNOW that hacking happens, there's little excuse for not doing extremely simple things to minimize your personal risk.  SE didn't get hacked, they're not giving away your login data, they have zero responsibility for what YOU do with YOUR computer.

None of this is new.  Every big MMORPG has problems with accounts getting "hacke" because so many people are terrible with their account info and/or password behavior.

The gil selling sleaze bags aren't hacking into SE - they don't have that much talent - if they did - they wouldn't be screwing around with something as lame as selling gil to cheaters.  They pick on easy targets.

It's also unlikely that peole with authenticators and one-time passwords are getting truly hacked.  Again, people can post whatever BS they want on the web and people LOVE to play the blame game to avoid admitting their own stupidity.

Basic common sense.  Hacking happens.  Use even basic security practices like using unique and strong passwords and your chances of getting "hacked" (not really hacking when you give away your info, which is what most of these "victims" are doing one way or another) are greatly reduced.

Simple things to avoid getting pseudo hacked:

- DO use virus protection (you can get high quality virus protection from microsoft - zero fees - microsoft security essentials - and there are probably others)

- Do use unique and strong passwords (programs like KeePass can help you keep track of usernames and passwords safely)

- Ideally use unique usernames/emails for your logins (companies using email as login is utterly stupid, yeah, you can create email accounts easily enough but it's silly to inflict this on customers)

- DO NOT buy gil or other services from disreputable entities (which is any that are selling cheating).  IMO, people who cheat deserve to get hacked so if you're a cheater, I kind of hope you get hacked and banned.

- DO NOT give away your account info ever for any reason, because nobody legit will EVER ask for it, including the customer support people for whatever game you're playing

- DO NOT share you account login with your friends, family, mommie, whoever - because you can never be sure they will exhibit any of the appropriate behaviors mentioned here

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Even accounts with security tokens are getting hacked. I doubt its your fault OP.

Join the club of some thousand stolen accounts for which SE does nothing.

I doubt token users are getting hacked. The hackers go after easy ones, they just move on, they don't have time to break the secure accounts.

True but nowadays they mostly  target system databases to find security holes so they can bypass entirely the log in procedure.

I tried to find the topic in the official forums about people getting hacked even though they had security tokens but they deleted it.

I remember Blizzard making an official statement that there were zero cases of compromised accounts that had a security token applied, despite many players claiming otherwise.  I'm not saying which party, the company or the players, are lying, but you should take anything anyone says on the internet with a grain of salt.

This!

No one has hacked these Security tokens yet. Unless you play in an internet cafe and leave Your phone or physical token lying around and a hacker happens to quickly use it to get into Your account.

Or you've got a keylogger and the hacker activily monitors and catches Your inputs and manages to get into Your account within 30 Seconds before the Security key expires.

But the newer and better Security tokens only allow the same key to be used once. Especially bank tokens have this nowadays.

Seriously, hacking accounts With Security tokens is way above the heads of these RMT criminals and COSTs way to much effort to even undertake.

There are so many easy victims to pick from With easy guessable account names and passwords. Add to the fact that the vast majority uses these same account names and passwords litterly everywhere! Even unprotected Public forums and sites that get hacked on frequent basis and their database stolen, without them even noticing it most of the time.

These RMT criminals just buy username and password lists from these hackers and try them against games like these and so take over people's accounts.

This is how the vast majority of accounts get compromised!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Even accounts with security tokens are getting hacked. I doubt its your fault OP.

Join the club of some thousand stolen accounts for which SE does nothing.

True but nowadays they mostly  target system databases to find security holes so they can bypass entirely the log in procedure.

I tried to find the topic in the official forums about people getting hacked even though they had security tokens but they deleted it.

This!

No one has hacked these Security tokens yet. Unless you play in an internet cafe and leave Your phone or physical token lying around and a hacker happens to quickly use it to get into Your account.

Or you've got a keylogger and the hacker activily monitors and catches Your inputs and manages to get into Your account within 30 Seconds before the Security key expires.

But the newer and better Security tokens only allow the same key to be used once. Especially bank tokens have this nowadays.

Seriously, hacking accounts With Security tokens is way above the heads of these RMT criminals and COSTs way to much effort to even undertake.

There are so many easy victims to pick from With easy guessable account names and passwords. Add to the fact that the vast majority uses these same account names and passwords litterly everywhere! Even unprotected Public forums and sites that get hacked on frequent basis and their database stolen, without them even noticing it most of the time.

These RMT criminals just buy username and password lists from these hackers and try them against games like these and so take over people's accounts.

This is how the vast majority of accounts get compromised!

It's how the Blizzard and SOE key generators work.  So new, as in the past 4 years or so with MMORPGS.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    my account was suspended a week ago today and still waiting on the "investigation" to conclude

Originally posted by Preythan
    my account was suspended a week ago today and still waiting on the "investigation" to conclude
    aww damn it. my wifes been goin apeshit cus she wants to wait for me to continue playin. hell I was banned in WoW and had my account reinstated and all my shit back within 6 hours. like I said, I did buy gold back in the day. family workin at blizz FTW. lol
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

I was banned too (still am) after being hacked. Still trying to get in contact with Customer Service and haven't been able to. Currently been on hold for 2 hours and 26 minutes. Went through the chat support system and after waiting in que for nearly two hours (starting at 154 in que, and 148 in que two different times), when you get to 3rd or 4th in the que it says "Cancelled, no agent to assist you" or some bullshit.

Has anyone actually talked to anyone ? This is such crap..banned for something I didn't do, and no support afterwards.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I wanna first start by saying I know this is completely my fault. I was playing Thursday afternoon when I stopped to shower and make lunch. I left my game on since there is no afk timer. I returned to b at the title screen. didn't think much of it at first. tried to log in to the message saying u r still logged in try again after a few moments. well a few hours later I started to read forums. that's when I learned people that were getting the same message for a long period of time were hacked. well I became a statistic. since u r still able to get to the character screen I checked and saw that there was a new toon on a new server. GOLD SPAMMER!!
    after a couple hours I was able to log in and see no damage was done to any toon. they just made a new toon on a new server. so I changed my password and got a token. yes I know I should have had one from the start. like I said, I know its my fault. after I logged out I couldn't get back on. my account has been suspended. so after being on hold for 2 hours 10 min Friday night I was able to talk to a rep. I verified that its my account. he said I was banned for gold spamming. he said they will do an "investigation" do determine if I intentionally did this. lol. so now I wait to get their decision. im sure they will let me reactivate my account. just sucks to have to wait when I could b playing. especially since the log in problems have been fixed.

Well this should be an easy fix. They should be able to see your IP address each time you have played then see a NEW IP address for the gold spammer..that kind of thing.