Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The perfect mmo for everyone?

KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

What is the point of games in general?

Obviously it is to enjoy some downtime and unplug from reality for a while and have.....wait for it........FUN!!!

This new game seems to be going to great lengths to research archetypes and many other games to pull together the perfect mesh of a good chunk of what is FUN from each of these things.

Now I used to be a graphics nut! If the game wasn't made for 1600X1050 or higher I wouldn't bother. Now everything is in that or better.

I used to think that more realism made games better, until I saw how realism can also be a negative to the creative pallet of colors and imagination.

Gaming has come a long ways. There are still people who doubt the direction this game is taking. Even going so far as to try and point out imagined flaws before they even get a chance to try it out or even read a review of the game post release.

This game will push boundaries. It will knock down walls. It will mesh together things we have not seen before. This frightens some, makes other into doubters, but for me and many like me.....it might just be the game of choice for the next 5 yearsor longer  from release if all the mesh is done correctly.

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Have you actually seen it ie work for SOE or do you believe what they are promising? Frightens some? Stop labeling please, and pushing nonexistent product.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Trying to build the one suits all game, does not work... 

Peoples gaming expectations are way to different to go this route...

Perfect for a large group is great..

Perfect for everyone is an illusion.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    There isn't a single feature they brought up on the reveal that didn't greatly disappoint me: no levels, no classes, player tampered environments, randomly generated dungeons, "action" combat, no hotbars... this game has absolutely no redeeming qualities to me; so I'd say it is the exact opposite of perfect.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Oh FFS OP, are you paid to post? What a blind hype piece. Of course it's not the "perfect" game for "everyone" they are just going to advertise it like it is in order to generate as many sales as possible. So "you" like what you have heard so far? So some other people don't. Great. Now be wise and don't buy into the positive or negative hype for a game no one outside beta and the team really knows anything about besides pre-release blurbs designed to sound good and reveal nothing really substantive. We won't know if it's a good or bad game until we can play it and the only boundaries we know it will push are related to the wallet and potentially the capacity of a toilet to flush without backing up. Time will tell.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Erm... there is no such thing as a perfect MMO for everyone. Different tastes etc.

For one, it looks like EQNext will be missing the traditional gear treadmill with dungeons/raids/quests, so that will put off a large amount of people (even if I for one won't miss them).

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Karble

Obviously it is to enjoy some downtime and unplug from reality for a while and have.....wait for it........FUN!!!

This new game seems to be going to great lengths to research archetypes and many other games to pull together the perfect mesh of a good chunk of what is FUN from each of these things.

Now I used to be a graphics nut! If the game wasn't made for 1600X1050 or higher I wouldn't bother. Now everything is in that or better.

I used to think that more realism made games better, until I saw how realism can also be a negative to the creative pallet of colors and imagination.

Gaming has come a long ways. There are still people who doubt the direction this game is taking. Even going so far as to try and point out imagined flaws before they even get a chance to try it out or even read a review of the game post release.

This game will push boundaries. It will knock down walls. It will mesh together things we have not seen before. This frightens some, makes other into doubters, but for me and many like me.....it might just be the game of choice for the next 5 yearsor longer  from release if all the mesh is done correctly.

errr... "perfect" mmo for "fun". mmmk can you get any more vague? And you knock people for "imagined flaws" while you gush your nerd boner about promised features we havent even seen? so you got a job from SOE to "Make Money at Home on the Internet"? boooooo you fail.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

It's impossible for an MMORPG to be perfect for everyone.

EverQuest Next is not out yet. Which means that the developers exaggerate about everything like crazy. It's like somebody on a dating site, writing "and I have my own car (actually I borrow it from my parents) and I won several beauty contests (in kindergarden), have my own (inflatable) yacht...", and so on.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Don't build unrealistic expectations.

This game is super far off anyway, the player sub-contractors haven't even built the world yet for SOE through the Landmark game.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Look up the definition of the word "fun", it's not actually what I want in my MMORPGs.

I'm looking for a sense of accomplishment and reward for a job well done, that's what I get enjoyment from, supplemented with a strong and near unending progression curve.

Resource and territory control and the denial of same to others in an open world environment is also more to my liking.

Finally, a strong economic engine driven by a strong crafting system and some means to take items out of the system, either through destruction/theft by other players or even attrition through wear is also desirable.

As what they've revealed so far really hasn't addressed any of the above, (and truthfully I'm not expecting them in this title) I remain unconvinced that this will be a game for me over the long haul.

And that's OK, it will be "fun" for many I'm sure, I'm just a tough person to please but there's some other titles that hold some promise.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    No offense, Kyle, but I've played games like that before, and I'm glad as fuck developers progressed beyond those. I don't really care how a dictionary defines fun, but I sure as hell want a lot of it in a game.
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    No offense, Kyle, but I've played games like that before, and I'm glad as fuck developers progressed beyond those. I don't really care how a dictionary defines fun, but I sure as hell want a lot of it in a game.

That's OK, we enjoy different things, and fortunately not all developers have "progressed" (not sure I agree with your usage of this term) beyond these mechanics.

They are still making MMO's for people looking for a challenge.  I'm willing to wait patiently until they are delivered. (and am playing the older titles until they do)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    While I don't agree that there is a perfect MMO for everyone I see the point you are making OP and agree that SoE is trying to get as close to it as possible. They seem to have studied the most successful MMOs (and games) and pulled out what they believe to be the defining "fun" characteristic that drew people in. WoW's raid gear progression, LoL's vast class system, MOBA combat where there are fewer abilities that are more important, Minecraft's open resource and building, etc. while adding to them and making it work for an MMO. Will this attract all players? No, that's impossible. Will it attract the majority of players who have enjoyed the components they are bringing together. That depends on how good and fun it ends up being, we won't know until it's out.

There's no problem with taking about "maybes" at this point. This thread surprises me greatly at how quick people are to put someone down for optimistically hoping for a good MMO. No wonder there are only 3-4 threads active a day now. People losing interest? Nope, far from it they have just moved elsewhere.
  • nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70

OP, I agree with you for the most part, though I think calling anything the "perfect" game is naive.  There will always be players who focus everything they don't like about a game rather than what they do like.

Also, there will always be players like Kyle who just want to keep grinding endlessly for meaningless levels and gear that will keep games like WoW alive indefinitely.  I'm just not sure why he would bother posting in the EQN forums if everything he wants out of an MMO is already provided.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    If you try to make perfect game for everyone, you will end up with a game that won't satisfy anyone.  Feel free to quote that.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Wasn't that what everyone said about GW2??

Oh please OP, you are saying the same thing as the doubters only in reverse.  Push Boundaries. Knock Down Walls.  (well it might do that in game ;)  ) Mesh things we have not seen before??  A game you might play for 5 years?? You can say all this in a game you have not seen?

Why get this excited over what is basically an idea, at this point.  Why not relax and see how things develop so that you aren't back here in 6 months raging about how it all went to hell in a handbasket.

They really need to get rid of the Hype meter on this site.  What a stupid idea.  Better to call it the Disappointment meter.

Hype and hate are the same thing IMO.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

Umm how can you knock the negative comments about the game with reasoning that they have not tried it out yet...

and then post "This game will push boundaries. It will knock down walls. It will mesh together things we have not seen before." 

do you need reminding that you have also not seen the game?  therefore by your own statements above you are full of shit.

Originally posted by nisrak

OP, I agree with you for the most part, though I think calling anything the "perfect" game is naive.  There will always be players who focus everything they don't like about a game rather than what they do like.

Also, there will always be players like Kyle who just want to keep grinding endlessly for meaningless levels and gear that will keep games like WoW alive indefinitely.  I'm just not sure why he would bother posting in the EQN forums if everything he wants out of an MMO is already provided.

Not quite sure how you got out of any of my posts that I enjoy playing WOW or enjoy gear grinders which couldn't be further from the truth.

The mechanics I described were found in a much different set of titles, including Lineage 1 and 2, DAOC, SWG, and EVE just to name a few.  It might have even included WOW back in the vanilla days, but in its current incarnation, not so much.

In fact, 2004 and WOW marked the start of the decline of MMORPG's which is what SOE is trying to dig their way out of with some new ideas.

Just turns out they aren't idea's I'm really much interested in, but no doubt the appeal will be there for many.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

If the past 5 years have taught us anything ; its that never trust the developers on their promises until you see them firsthand. We've been lied to, scammed from, and generally abused for a while now. Causal mainstream became the normal. This pressed developers to try to attain WoW like success and less on making great games; that will be beloved and played for years and years.

Too many video game companies not wanting to take a risk and catering to the casual players,that will spend 20 dollars on all the weapons in the cash shop ; whom later end of quitting anyways.

I am happy with all the Indie sandbox mmorpgs and AAA companies starting to get involved in the genre again, but I am getting weary of all the kick starters. Yes, some show promise, but once again trust is even lower than AAA companies.

Some games have done things in the past right. Such as UO's skills,housing, and player driven content. SWG's atmosphere, housing, being able to do whatever you like, and player driven community. Darkfall online's combat, territory control, item system and full loot. EVE's politics,community,planning, and risk vs reward. Mortal online's crafting.

To add to that; the game should have meaningful gameplay. Have enough things to do ;that, you never feel bored. Runescape before all the Evolution of combat, had this down pretty well. Developers need to cater to all playstyles within the game; whether, it is an explorer, crafter,pver, or pvper. There should be meaningful rewards for each play style, and the players should not  feel rushed to get to end game to have fun, or find out there is nothing else to do upon maxing out their character. No more everyone being the best at everything.

IE; If a player wanted to be an explorer and gain recognition for it; allow map chartering and have no maps except player created ones. Have everything based on what players find themselves and are willing to impart to the community. If a player chooses the map making skill; he would have an MS paint, or something similar; to fashion a map from. As the player skills up; different more complex images/shapes and templates become unlocked such as mountain croppings. There would have to be a way stop players from being able to put images on 3rd party sites though and ban those that do. Of course the game map would have to be fairly big; similar to Darkfall 1's. Those players that found a secret entrance way into a temple underwater; should be able to be remembered as the person that found that place. If they wanted to distribute maps to everyone within game, sell them, or keep them for their clan then that would be their right.  

Other game's have some basis right. For world events like GW2 and WHO;they are lackluster and not quite what they should be. If they can take what worked best for various other mmorpgs; have content and features, both player driven and game influenced; as well as, things we've been asking for; such as minimal gear grind, and player leaving impacts on the game world then it would be a phenomonal success. Game are try to be appealing to the casual crowd too much. Yes, they shouldn't be like a second job, but they should take effort and give enjoy and satisfaction every moment in game.

What I want; most likely will be a long way off, but they already have most of the groundwork done.

MurderHerd

• solarbear88solarbear88 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Trying to make a game for everyone EQUALS making a game for no one. Look at all the failed games lately.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

#1378694764769674 saying a non released product is THE next big thing for 10.000 years to come.

You sir, are very vulnerable to hype.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    The next big thing? So good it's frightening? Playable for the next five years? What a load of drivel. This has fallen off the radar for many. Disney graphics and gimmicks don't add up to the greatest MMO. Hype and fanbois aside, success or not will only be apparent after release. Free realms, their other kiddie game was hyped up to the teeth by Smedley as the future of online games - don't recollect that being a stunning success.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

The term "Everyone" is very inclusive and definitive.  I don't think EQN is going to be for everyone.

It does sport many ideas and prototypes for a really good game, but ideas being shown, such as arcade bouncy combat are a bit of a turnoff for me.  Add to that the parkour movement.  I think the graphics style is good, and the Disney aspects are OK, too!

Everquest to me is more than what was shown.  What was shown is just boom boom eye-candy to appease the GW2 generation, but that is not what EverQuest was to me from it's launch in 1999.

Gaming has come a long ways, OP.  I enjoy the new ideas - I would like to see them actually implemented though!

It's free, so I'll try it sure.  But love it for 5+ years?  Umm erg /choke ... I think it's going to be great for the first month?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Well if Bethesda did a "Tamrial: the Elder Scrolls Online" and made it play the way Skyrim does...I'd say that might be the perfect MMO.   :)
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

How about we wait for SOE to make or release a decent game first, before crowning it God?

The last several efforts have been sub-par, at best.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Burntvet

How about we wait for SOE to make or release a decent game first, before crowning it God?

The last several efforts have been sub-par, at best.

image  think your post says it all.