Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scott Hartsman on RIFT and other Trion games

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/23/scott-hartsman-on-leading-trion-worlds-out-of-the-woods/

Free-to-play has propelled RIFT into an entirely new tier of operation. While he couldn't give numbers, Hartsman said the game is making "vastly" more money than before and has the largest monthly player population it's ever had.

He wanted to clarify that he isn't for or against free-to-play; for him, it's all about finding the right fit for the right model. Hartsman said that for a game to go F2P, the audience has to be interested in it, the game has to be modified to work with it just right, and there need to be enough resources to do it. He praised the decisions that the RIFT team made with this F2P model, saying that Trion chose absolutely right in ensuring that players felt good about what they bought instead of buying to alleviate pain.

"I would say that RIFT is the most successful F2P conversion that's ever been done because the team went deep and thoughtful about the best way to do that," he said.

What the future holds for RIFT is still a mystery -- Hartsman wouldn't spill details of the roadmap -- but he's certain that it will thrill fans of the game.

Comments

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I can tell you that I NEVER and would never have subscribed to this game as P2P. Not because it was bad or otherwise, I just no longer choose to play P2P games. However, once Rift went F2P I downloaded it and have played it more consistently than any other game. Ive admittedly only been playing for a little over a month but in that time I've spent $30.00 and I can see myself spending more in the future.

Trion certainly got my money when they otherwise wouldn't have.