Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick GPU Question

RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
Just a quick question for all of you techies out there. How outdated is the radeon hd7750 2gb gddr3? Would it be able to play games like tera gw2 and ffarr with max to ultra graphics with decent fps? I know it isn't a great card but will it really bottleneck my CPU which is a amd fx6300?

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Comments

• PGrimmPGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 40
    A 7750 isn't that old...  and paired up with the fx6300   it should be nice for any games.  now far as ultra settings..   you might need to scale back a tad or some of the newer games coming out. but  for anything out right now,  you'll play it nicely with great fps/quality.  People tend to over look two important system items, motherboard ( chip set, buss) and system ram.
  • RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    If it helps I have 8gb ddr3 @1600 and I know my chipset is a 760g(I have heard this is no good as well)

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

max and ultra settings on most games are simply NOT worth the GPU power they require compared to the typical "high" setting and thus cards such as the one you listed will surely suffer should you decide to play with those settings selected at the standard 1080p resolution most people do today.  To better answer your question though the card you mentioned is an entry level gaming card from AMD's previous generation (though it might as well be current from a standard consumer perspective) and will allow you to enjoy the games you listed at the resolution I stated as long as you are realistic in the GFX quality you are willing to accept for an "entry level gaming GPU".

EDIT:  It is a decent card for the money and will allow you to enjoy the current generation of PC MMORPG's but you must be realistic in the GFX settings.  There is a reason it is priced where it is compared to it's more expensive "cousins".

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Most of the issue you all face won't be the GPU directly.invariant tsc play a big role here in making everything smooth on all condition.MSI or msix will cause more mischief then GPU it self.1080iwas after all created to cheat your way to good graphic.contrary to popular belief 1080i does look good if the hardware and software timer are tight.
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by drbaltazar
    Most of the issue you all face won't be the GPU directly.invariant tsc play a big role here in making everything smooth on all condition.MSI or msix will cause more mischief then GPU it self.1080iwas after all created to cheat your way to good graphic.contrary to popular belief 1080i does look good if the hardware and software timer are tight.

I'm going to go out on limb here and say that if the OP understands what you're talking about in this post he probably wouldn't have asked the question he did in the first place.  First rule of public speaking, understand your audience!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

HD 7750 is a good graphic card, and you'll be able to play all games with good or at least decent graphic settings. I'd recommend buying it.

But to answer your question, no. If you want to have the best possible graphic settings in games you play, then a good graphic card is not enough. You'll need to have a top-end graphic card, and HD 7750 is not.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Yeah this might as well be in Chinese. I think I'll get the 7750 for now and upgrade later. Is the 7850 significantly better?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Any desktop video card with DDR3 memory is not built for gaming.  Period.  Unless you simply can't afford the $90 that it costs to get a decent gaming card, anything without GDDR5 should be dismissed out of hand.  Even a Radeon HD 7750 with GDDR5 would be much better than the same card with DDR3.
    Its my friends old card that he is giving me for free until I can upgrade. I'm looking at the 7850 but will that be out dated soon?

I got a question!when do we get esram quad channel GPU?Since gddr5 are only dual channel wouldn't 3 GB of esram instead of gddr5 be better?
    Where is Intel when you need them(grin)
    Also if it makes a difference i'm only playing in 720p. As I stated before its a temporary card that I hope will get me through the new year. When January rolls around I'm looking at getting a 7850. If this 7750 gddr3 is going to be a problem I might look at forking over money now and getting the 7770. Advice?

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Also if it makes a difference i'm only playing in 720p. As I stated before its a temporary card that I hope will get me through the new year. When January rolls around I'm looking at getting a 7850. If this 7750 gddr3 is going to be a problem I might look at forking over money now and getting the 7770. Advice?

If your only going to be playing in 720p and the card is free then I personally would take it and use it until you save the money for something better.

I would also save up enough money for at least a 7870 and would probably go ahead and get a 7950 if your power supply will support it.

For a free card to get you by until next Feb. it will do just fine. Just dont expect ultra max graphics on a budget minded card.

My PSU is only 500W is that enough for a 7950? Or would I need to go to 600W+? Does the performance increase from a 7850 to a 7950 justify an all new PSU?

My PSU is only 500W is that enough for a 7950? Or would I need to go to 600W+? Does the performance increase from a 7850 to a 7950 justify an all new PSU?

I would probably not buy a new psu to get a 7950. On a decent 500w PSU you can easily use a 7870 tho.

This one is on sale at newegg, comes to $159 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

Or you can look at a 7790 when the time comes http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125454

$139 after rebate.

As long as your not overclocking stuff a 500w psu should be ok. But it may depend on how good of a psu you have. If its a cheap one then maybe stick with a cheaper video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139050 

That is my power supply. That 7870 looks nice and if my PSU can handle it that looks like what i will get.

That is my power supply. That 7870 looks nice and if my PSU can handle it that looks like what i will get.

You should be fine with that psu and a 7870. As long as your not overclocking

Originally posted by jdnewell

You should be fine with that psu and a 7870. As long as your not overclocking

Okay thanks for all of the help!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Its my friends old card that he is giving me for free until I can upgrade. I'm looking at the 7850 but will that be out dated soon?

If you're getting it for free used and it's just going to be a stopgap, then go ahead.  I didn't want you to go buy a new DDR3 card thinking it was a powerful gaming card.  It will run just about any game you want, though sometimes at reduced graphical settings.  Your power supply can handle the card just fine.

Okay this will be my last set of questions(hopefully). How bad is the 760g chipset? From what I have read my fx6300 wasn't actually made to work with it and I should upgrade to a 970. Is this true? Does the 760g hurt the performance on my 6300?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Okay this will be my last set of questions(hopefully). How bad is the 760g chipset? From what I have read my fx6300 wasn't actually made to work with it and I should upgrade to a 970. Is this true? Does the 760g hurt the performance on my 6300?

If you already own the 760g motherboard and it supports everything you need, don't buy a new one. Speed differences between motherboards are small enough that it's not cost-effective to buy new motherboard just for speed gains.

If anyone is curious here is the FF benchmark. Not bad in my opinion. Especially with it set to stock clock.

My 7950 cant!ultra setting are usually meant for sli crossfired 780 or 7970