Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whoever wants to try this game

124»

Comments

• Aussie77Aussie77 Member Posts: 21

The OP is getting smashed for his opinion which he should be entitled to share with others. There are probably quite a few people out there that aren't FF fans and are looking for a theme park mmo with a very small amount of patience and a desire for quick gratification. That's who the OP was addressing I believe.

I don't think 2 hours is enough to really grasp the true breadth of gameplay an MMO offers. Then again players are looking for this quick sense of satisfaction when jumping into a new game and developers realize that for the most part. Unfortunately FFXIV still has a slight feeling of playing like FFXI and that game really didn't take off until you started grouping and getting advanced jobs etc.

This isn't the game for the OP and probably many of the WoW players looking for something to cure their burn out.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    While it's an alright game, I think part of is current popularity has to do with timing. No other new MMOs and players somewhat bored of their current. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

The hate and vitriol from posters to the OP of this thread is sad and pathetic. Ever hear the term: First impressions are important? Well, he gave his opinion of the first impression of the game. Just like other games, don't say 'Play it until lvl 50 and then give us an opinion'. If he can't even get through the first couple of levels why would he go through up to level 50  with the same type of quests, when you are bored, is not fun. May as well beat your head against a wall.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    While I don't consider it the best MMO I've played you gave a MMO only 2 hours before reviewing it how could you possible know anything about the game through personal experience all you have experienced is what 1 to level 7/8 at the most to be honest it seams you have little knowledge off mmo's in general if you think 2 hours of gameplay qualify as enough time to write a review. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Aussie77

The OP is getting smashed for his opinion which he should be entitled to share with others. There are probably quite a few people out there that aren't FF fans and are looking for a theme park mmo with a very small amount of patience and a desire for quick gratification. That's who the OP was addressing I believe.

I don't think 2 hours is enough to really grasp the true breadth of gameplay an MMO offers. Then again players are looking for this quick sense of satisfaction when jumping into a new game and developers realize that for the most part. Unfortunately FFXIV still has a slight feeling of playing like FFXI and that game really didn't take off until you started grouping and getting advanced jobs etc.

This isn't the game for the OP and probably many of the WoW players looking for something to cure their burn out.

No, OP is getting smashed, not because he is sharing his opinion, but because of the context in which he shared it.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by botrytis

The hate and vitriol from posters to the OP of this thread is sad and pathetic. Ever hear the term: First impressions are important? Well, he gave his opinion of the first impression of the game. Just like other games, don't say 'Play it until lvl 50 and then give us an opinion'. If he can't even get through the first couple of levels why would he go through up to level 50  with the same type of quests, when you are bored, is not fun. May as well beat your head against a wall.

So it s ok for you to say this, yet when I and many others said similar about GW2 it wasn t for you. When I get home I ll post a quote from you if you would like. Or you can just admit it now, and not waste my time.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Aussie77

No, OP is getting smashed, not because he is sharing his opinion, but because of the context in which he shared it.

agreed, the OP while sharing his opinion, a very uninformed one perhaps, it was stated in a way as to cause an argument, and his replies were equally vitriolic, especially if people dared to contradict him. So the OP got flamed a bit, i think thats what he wanted tbh, maybe he was just having a bad day and needed to 'offload' on people a bit?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Soki123

So it s ok for you to say this, yet when I and many others said similar about GW2 it wasn t for you. When I get home I ll post a quote from you if you would like. Or you can just admit it now, and not waste my time.

I respected their opinion but when they state EVERYTHING AS FACT then that is different. I have played the FF beta and thought it was a yawn. Thee is not difference in any of the quests for ANY of the professions (much like Rift).

Since the shoe in on the other foot, you don't like it do you?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I respected their opinion but when they state EVERYTHING AS FACT then that is different. I have played the FF beta and thought it was a yawn. Thee is not difference in any of the quests for ANY of the professions (much like Rift).

I thought the same thing about the beta. But, I bought the game and gave it a second shot and I am so glad that I did. 

I'm a huge GW2 fan but it is nice to do something besides playing it. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

FFXIV is a breath of fresh air, albeit with a slight dung smell.  They game is good, and has a lot of room to grow, even for a Themepark based game.  It is definitely better than what the OP believes, but it certainly isn't the holy grail of online games.  However, I will say that I'm thoroughly enjoy the game so far.  The crafting is, by far, the biggest draw.  The job system is great, and there is quite a bit to do in terms of customization, however the restrictions on what abilities you can take and the lack of some of the other "iconic" classes makes things slightly bland (emphasis on slightly).

I really want my Red Mage, and player Housing (coming soon  to a zone you have to load into near you!)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

FFXIV is a breath of fresh air, albeit with a slight dung smell.  They game is good, and has a lot of room to grow, even for a Themepark based game.  It is definitely better than what the OP believes, but it certainly isn't the holy grail of online games.  However, I will say that I'm thoroughly enjoy the game so far.  The crafting is, by far, the biggest draw.  The job system is great, and there is quite a bit to do in terms of customization, however the restrictions on what abilities you can take and the lack of some of the other "iconic" classes makes things slightly bland (emphasis on slightly).

I really want my Red Mage, and player Housing (coming soon  to a zone you have to load into near you!)

I feel the same way! On top of that, they really go out of their way to teach you the history and lore. I like that very much! 

I finally got my chocobo today and it took forever. It was one of the best series of gaining a mount in any game I have played. It wasn't just handed to me at a certain level, I had to earn it by doing 3 dungeons and a tough boss fight along the way. I'm usually a solo player and this forced me to join up and have fun with other players. I'm really enjoying this title!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I honestly could care less, I just find it funny it s different to your liking. That said, did you really just say theres really no difference in the quests, and yet defend GW2, which IMO, is the same thing over and over and over , oh did I mention over.

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80

Just a quick update.

Since my last 2.5 hours of playing this game, I could never log into this game. I just couldn't since I know it will be boring.

To compensate my unfulfilled craving toward MMORPG, I actually re-downloaded Diablo 3 which I despise of. 

I found my account was inactive for more than 450 days, but there were a few good updates so I could enjoy for a day, and I am sure I will enjoy for a while. 

Just thinking about playing FF XIV again, discourages me. I just can't keep going since I know EXACTLY what it will offer me.

Yes, I know EXACTLY what it will offer me wihth my "2.5 hours" of gameplay.

I feel sorry to all those fan boys who don't like what I've said. It's sad but true. 

And I know this game will fail in two months. 

TWO months. that's my generous expectation.

And after 3~4 months, nobody except a few dozens of FF fanboys, will ever mention, or even remember of this game. 

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80

One more thing, whoever is interested in this game, I will tell you about this game's so called "Fate System".

It will exactly identical to Rift's system that I don't remember of it's name.

You don't have to buy this game to know what exactly 'Fate system' is like. Just download already-turned-into-F2P Rift, and see what's their thing it like. FF XIV's Fate system is not better then it and is not different from.

This system is one of the reason why Rift was another typical failure.

Fate system exists for this one purpose :

To let players have a substitute contents of the 'raid contents' which can be difficult or even impossible without proper preparation and planning. So players can have fake satisfaction of fulfilling a raid. (But, since a lot of players are not dumb, they will be bored of it pretty fast. Since it is not challenging at all, as long as they have at least one finger to click a keyboard.)

Raids are designed for players to fail. They were designed to be difficult. But unsuccessful games can't keep people long enough for them to enjoy/appreciate the hard earned experience and ability to conduct "Raids". So Rift and FF XIV brough this 'Fate system' which can be defined as 'extremely easy raid-like content'.

All you will do in this Fate system is just spam clicking your keyboards and move once in a while just to avoid a few more keyboard click for potential healing. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

To make a list of the kind of players that may like this game:

*People who like dungeons.

*People who like multiclassing.

*People who like elaborate crafting.

*People who like to play the market.

*People who like raiding.

*People who like decent stories in their mmorpgs.

*People who like beautiful world and good music in their  mmorpgs.

*People who dislike to action-based combat and prefer a slower pace, more like in the middle between real-time and turn-based.

*People who hate item malls.

Edit:

Also of course:

* People who like Final Fantasy.

The list could be two lines.  People who love Final Fantasy regardless of anything else.  And people that aren't tired of playing the same themepark MMO over and over and over.  Listing stories as a positive in a MMO really shows me how different fans of the same genre can be.  It should be a virtual world with consequences, not led by the nose being told a "story".

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I have been playing the game for about a week, put in quite a few hours.  It's a lot better than the original version, so if you enjoyed the 1.0 FFXIV chances are you will really enjoy this version.

It's Final Fantasy, so it has FF type of graphics and mobs and the story lines for each class is total FF stuff.  If you enjoy FF, you will like this BUT you HAVE to enjoy MMOs to stick with this game.  If you are just a FF fan, don't bother with this game because there is a lot more MMO stuff in this game than FF stuff.

This is a game that should have voice overs.  The way the cut scenes work, your character does not even talk.  He moves his lips, sometimes you are given a choice between two option but it has no bearing on the quest or outcome.  Adding voice overs would have done wonders for this game, and it could have worked great.

This game takes 15 levels before the world is opened up (even if you have a 1.0 port over character).  You are region locked with your first class and you have to advance the main story line to open up the other two regions.  This is really a pain if you want to jump right in and multi-class....because you cannot.  This was a bizarre choice.  It will not take that long to get to level 15 if you are new and it will not take that long for a 1.0 character to advance the story quests.  They scale down your level for some of the instanced quests, but if you have 1.0 end game gear it's not even a challenge.  Some of the instanced class quests are very hard for an on-level character.

You are required to group in this game to advance your main region quests, and since that quest is required for other things to open up...that means grouping is required in this game.  Groups are 4 people.  You need a real tank and a real healer after level 15 (level 15 are the newbie dungeons).  No tank?  No dungeon for you.  The other two spots are for DPS.  There are no real utility classes, as every class is either a DPS, main healer or main tank type of class.  The utility stuff exists but it is not the primary focus of the classes.  So a BARD is a DPS class that has bard songs.  I think groups should have been 6 or at least 5 but that would mean they would have to re-tool the dungeons.

Dungeons are pretty hard, or should I say once you get to the real dungeons (not the level 15 stuff) your group roles will be firmly entrenched and you better be on your game or you will die a lot.  Actually, you will die a lot anyway...lol.

Loot is lackluster.  So far there is no must have loot.  Because it is a themepark game, you can just bypass the lower level or mid level dungeons and just hop in on the end game stuff.  You might need company gear though.

Crafting feels like a waste for the usual classes in themepark MMOs.  Like armorer or weaver....you can just get better stuff in dungeons.  But in order to put materia on your gear you will need those classes.  You do not have to do a crafting class, but I think most people have one.

This game side tracks you a lot and there is a ton of things that are gated.  In order to do one thing, you might have to do two other things first and in order to do those two things you might have to level another class....that type of stuff.

There are quite a few people playing this game.  There is a huge problem with Gold Sellers.  Just log into your main city....and watch the never ending spam.  It's pretty depressing.  You can turn off /shouts but this is a game that is better with people.

The grind in this game is pretty intense.  Classes, trade classes and land harvesting classes....then once you switch to a new class....you realize that there are no quests for you to do.  So you are stuck doing leves....which are low EXP for battle classes.  So what people do is grind FATEs (dynamic events).  FATEs are totally inferior to Guild Wars dynamic events.....but whatever, they are just there to mindlessly give you EXP.

If you can find a decent guild, and there are a lot of people playing this game, you will enjoy yourself.  The world is SMALL, zones are small and you will notice it....a lot.  There is nothing in this game that is new.  So if you are looking for something new, don't bother with this game.

I am enjoying my new 2.0 character and my 1.0 character even though she is stuck on a Japanese server.  I think they are opening up server transfers, or maybe they have....not sure.  Once EQ Next Landmark comes out, this game will probably be deleted.  It's a good game, but not that good.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat

Just a quick update.

Since my last 2.5 hours of playing this game, I could never log into this game. I just couldn't since I know it will be boring.

To compensate my unfulfilled craving toward MMORPG, I actually re-downloaded Diablo 3 which I despise of. 

I found my account was inactive for more than 450 days, but there were a few good updates so I could enjoy for a day, and I am sure I will enjoy for a while. 

Just thinking about playing FF XIV again, discourages me. I just can't keep going since I know EXACTLY what it will offer me.

I feel sorry to all those fan boys who don't like what I've said. It's sad but true. 

And after 3~4 months, nobody except a few dozens of FF fanboys, will ever mention, or even remember of this game. 

your OP post was your opinion and that was OK, but you decided to answer to the negative posts from other people. Now you type this nonsense and as a result, you already turned your own OP post into a troll post. You should have stayed with your first impressions instead.

You just lost any credibility on this topic.

Time to lock this thread.

Originally posted by rojo6934

Just a quick update.

your OP post was your opinion and that was OK, but you decided to answer to the negative posts from other people. Now you type this nonsense and as a result, you already turned your own OP post into a troll post. You should have stayed with your first impressions instead.

You just lost any credibility on this topic.

Time to lock this thread.

Agreed. 

Just a quick update.

This is what many GW2 bashers said about it around a year ago, and it is still going strong.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it will fail. 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I would say the majority of players do not give games more than 1-2 hours to "hook" them. The intro to any game is very important part. If you can't get the attention of your audience with some compelling gameplay or interesting story by then... Well you just flat suck.

Originally posted by Jyiiga

I would say the majority of players do not give games more than 1-2 hours to "hook" them. The intro to any game is very important part. If you can't get the attention of your audience with some compelling gameplay or interesting story by then... Well you just flat suck.

I find that the good games take time to develop as I play them. If I figure the game out in 2 hours it's pretty shallow imho.

This game literally takes hours to even get started in. There are many things that need to be done just to start unlocking some of it's best features. 

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I disagree with customization, there's little you can do to develop your own play style in this game. Your job role is locked, there are no talent tree. You can use cross class skills but none of the skills are game breaking enough to change your play style completely, not to mention there aren't many ability you can use from other jobs to begin with. You can allocate points but no matter how you allocate it it doesn't change your play style much.