Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please give your opinion: Server Populations and You!

2»

Comments

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I played on low pop servers and low pop games before and they are really not that bad. The real issue is population stability. If people are quitting left and right it is no good regardless of population.

Average MMO shard / server size is in the 3k to 15k range though.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Scot
    Having lots of toons around you that you don't interact with is pointless. But you do need lots in those big battles. Generally speaking I am not a fan of cross server battles, I think it detracts from the community aspect of the MMO. But it could be a solution if you like smaller populations in a MMO which has GW2/WH/AoC style battles.

And i am a huge fan of cross server functionalities, particularly if i can group with friends across server lines (like real id on battle.net).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Novusod

I played on low pop servers and low pop games before and they are really not that bad. The real issue is population stability. If people are quitting left and right it is no good regardless of population.

Very good point. Churn can negatively affect a community. A community of 20 regulars can sometimes provide a better environment than a community of 200 where those members are coming in and leaving at a rapid rate.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• scarlettxscarlettx Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Very good point. Churn can negatively affect a community. A community of 20 regulars can sometimes provide a better environment than a community of 200 where those members are coming in and leaving at a rapid rate.

I'd love to find a game with a small community of cool, friendly regulars versus something with WoW-like scope. I've heard EQ and EQ2 are more likely to fit that mold since the remaining (dwindling) player base are long-time loyalists, but then I wonder how newbie-friendly that population would be. Any suggestions would be welcome!

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by scarlettx
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'd love to find a game with a small community of cool, friendly regulars versus something with WoW-like scope. I've heard EQ and EQ2 are more likely to fit that mold since the remaining (dwindling) player base are long-time loyalists, but then I wonder how newbie-friendly that population would be. Any suggestions would be welcome!

EQ: not newbie friendly at all and catch up is hell.  ALso at max level EQ is a forced grouping game (mostly) which form the other thread you said you wouldnt want.

EQ2 on Antonia Bayle server is much more newbie friendly and I believe they are giving you an option to jump up to level 80 or so soon (which i wouldnt recommend, becaus ehte lower content is great).  EQ2 also has a nice mentor system so if you make friends they can downlevel to run content with you.

Really with most games its about finding the right guild/meeting the right people.