Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underappreciated potential...

2»

Comments

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Snow CrashYes, yes, I know the original devs of Second Life patterned the "game" after the multiverse in Snow Crash, but I mean a real game based on the story.There is so much potential content packed into that book the MMO could be running for years without the need to conjure up new ideas.

Speaking of Neal Stephenson, his recent novel 'Reamde' is well worth a read and has an interesting take on an MMO and the mechanics of gold selling and in-game economies in the story.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by MuffinStump

Snow Crash

Yes, yes, I know the original devs of Second Life patterned the "game" after the multiverse in Snow Crash, but I mean a real game based on the story.

There is so much potential content packed into that book the MMO could be running for years without the need to conjure up new ideas.

Speaking of Neal Stephenson, his recent novel 'Reamde' is well worth a read and has an interesting take on an MMO and the mechanics of gold selling and in-game economies in the story.

Just finished it. 'Twas awesome. :-)

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Would love to see a Jericho (2006 TV series) MMO.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

it took me all of 3 seconds to answer this because i have a lot of passion and love for the Jason and the Argonauts movies.

Somebody actually made a real cheap game off that movie but was no where near good enough.If done professionally it would be an amazing game.You could have ship building needed to travel to distant islands and battle other cultures [please no more FACTION] ,i prefer cultures.Every single game that comes out uses Factions,it is like carbon copy game design,each copying the last.

Just imagine this ONE scenario.Your group goes out and slays a dragon.You burn it and gather the dragon's teeth.You keep those in a bag ,ready to toss them out during a rainstorm.The children of the Hydra ARISE,Skeleton warriors to fight with you or against you.FFXI uses the Charm ability to charm creatures to fight on their behalf,again that is part of the magic in the series.

Giant Roc,Crabs,Cyclops and various other creatures.You have the Giant Tasos immune to weapons and melee damage.

You could even have the island of NI with killer rabbits ....ummm lol j/king.

The game would basically revolve around all the mythical creatures with the main story line based on securing the golden Fleece.The game would have a large land mass with many undiscovered islands with hidden treasures and Pirates.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

I agree with Shadowrun, but let's up the ante a bit. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

CTHULHUPUNK!

That's right. Take all the high technology & corporate shenanigans of cyberpunk, add in the Lovecraftian nightmare of your choice, and you have one of the most awesome settings created that not many people seem to know about.

Cybernetically enhanced Deep Ones used as corporate shock troops? Check.

Genetic experimentation on shoggoths? Check.

Futuristic weaponry combined with eldritch incantations of power? Check.

Digitized Elder Gods invading cyberspace and causing hackers to go mad on a global scale? Check.

It really blows my mind that to my knowledge, nobody has ever made a video game with this setting, much less an MMO. Much like the lack of a decent game based on Macross (seriously, how the hell do they keep fucking them up?), it's a continuing source of bewilderment for me.

I guess fighting near-immortal creatures with advanced weapons, cybernetics, and ancient, forbidden knowledge while keeping an ever-slipping hold on your sanity doesn't appeal to people these days, more's the pity.

Edit: Thought of another one. Ravenloft. It's a fantastic setting, yet there's only been a grand total of 1 PC game which has used it. Keeping this brief so I won't go into details, but it's a gothic horror type setting within the D&D universe and it's really worth checking out.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Robotech
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by MuffinStump

Make a true Shadowrun MMO. It is brought up in nearly every thread discussing such topics but I feel like saying it again. Shadowrun. There.

Yes, I am aware of the various false starts concerning this IP.

Shadowrun returns. Not a MMO but still a pretty decent Shadowrun RPG.

+1 to Shadowrun Returns. Between SR, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, and Borderlands 2, I kind of forgot MMOs exist. ;-)

There are some short term decent MMOs too. i have been playing Marvel Heroes & STO in between SP games. Variety is good.

BTW, how is amnesia, i am considering getting that too (and i have yet finished Borderlands 2 although i did finish the story campaign in Splinter Cell Black List).

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275

Elfquest and Robotech could both be outstanding games if done right.

Book "Dun Lady Jess"  involves travel between two worlds, one where everything is done by magic and our own non-magical world and the problems that brings when items/spells from one world is used in the other. Plus the battle between good and evil players of both worlds.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Guess my follow up question flopped, lol.  At any rate, @Wizardry, I like the idea of an Ancient Grecian MMORPG.  For one it makes nations easy to do (not necessarily factions but cultures).

Ancient Greece was comprised of many city states. The models for which would make excellent starting cities based on a players style. Like Athens, a knowledge/learning based culture (a place where the games magicians and technicians could be born). Or Sparta, highly warlike but more concerned with national defense being very much stay at home warriors (The place where the most brutal life is lived and that is hard to get into if you don't come from there). Argos City of the Artisans. Or Corinth, City of commerce.

A players journey could taker them to the best places to learn what they want to know how to do. And along the way wind them up as adventurers. Facing off against mythological foes and foreign powers a like. Not to mention the domestic threat from fellow city states.

I really do agree that this setting, time, and place would make for a great MMORPG if done by the right people. And, I think the right people would be:

Just look at their brilliant work over the course of the total war series. They have dozens of accolades and really know how to make something engaging yet authentic. Plus they are thrown in with Sega who has a long history of game publishing and has the resources and knowledge to make it happen.

Now, again All...trying not to be too forceful with this but I think it would be beneficial to the thread to list what studio you think might best handle the MMORPG you want made out of your fiction of choice. And it would be especially in keeping with the topic if we try to consider studio's who have yet to have made an MMORPG. New MMORPG's from People who really should make one.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Helleri
    Guess my follow up question flopped, lol.
    For me, there really is not any publisher/dev studio I trust. The good ones of old have been eaten up by the big "We have investors!" studios.

Did not mean to ignore your follow-up :)

I also sound like a bitter vet. Guilty as charged! I miss the days when devs made games that they thought would be fun, not massive money makers following a formula :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    But you have to admit there are studios out there who have some real potential. A lot of the good ones have been eaten up true.  But I think there are still plenty of little guys left who have something to show us. After all look what the big guys have given us...It's not a high bar to raise.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

As far as development for Warriors - "Armies of the Night" goes, I'd give it to Rockstar provided they hired or at least consulted with the people from Realtime Worlds who created the engine and character builder for APB.  That was the first game in my life that I was ever able to build a character by sitting a mirror next to my monitor and then go into a game and play with it.  Good stuff for sure.  APB, in its essence though, is still a shooter and so my hope is that the Rockstar crew would be able to put the kinds of activities and missions into that game that would really bring it alive.

Here's the problem though.  Rockstar already has GTA, and who would play a WAOTN game by them if they could play GTA Online instead?  With this in mind my second choice would be for Microsoft Studios to pick it up.  Why them?  Well, because they need a big title and WAOTN would make the perfect kind of game to play both on PC, console, or both.  And, done properly, this title would make an excellent competitor for the possibility of such a game as GTA online.

No offense to Lionhead.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Helleri
    But you have to admit there are studios out there who have some real potential. A lot of the good ones have been eaten up true.  But I think there are still plenty of little guys left who have something to show us. After all look what the big guys have given us...It's not a high bar to raise.
    That's the catch 22, isn't it? The "little guys" may do the IP well, but they don't have the bucks to acquire the IP :/

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• yurilowell1983yurilowell1983 Member Posts: 6
    There's no studio that I put my faith into, really.  Nowadays, I see no creativity, just obvious attempts at making as much money as possible.  Most games are just copies of other games.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    A MMORPG in the world of "The Rose of the Prophet" from Weiss/Hickman would be interesting. So would one in the world of "Darksword " series from the same authors.

My computer is better than yours.