Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whoever wants to try this game

Comments

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat

This is my first impression of playing first 2 hours of this game.

Quest system : identical to original wow, but slightly less kind, quest line doesn't match map flow very well, so it's geographically more confusing than wow, which is not a good thing for theme park game. (this is theme park game.) 

Story telling : identical to SWTOR, plus excessive loading is annoying.

Class system : similar to games like Eden Eternal. Nothing new.

Graphic : is ok, not great.

Why this game is so popular now?

I have no idea. But my guess is that,

1. it is attractive to Final Fantasy fans. I haven't played any of FF series (I tried, but it wasn't really my thing.), so I guess I can be objective or even critical to FF environment.

2. end game contents 'may' be cool. But it is a long way for a gamer who's worn down by similar games.

So, conclusion is this.

Do not expect anything new. There is no new contents for new players. If you are looking for something new, you will be disappointed.

But if you are just looking for something to spend your  time mindlessly, 29$ isn't really a loss for this content imo.

If you like Japanese style fantasy world, you may even love this game. (I don't like them.)

Personally, I am not sure if I can keep leveling my char to max level. I was already bored after 2 hours.

The reason that it's popular is that people played it more than 2 hrs before reaching a conclusion. Look, if you decided after 2 hrs, it's not your game, I won't tell you you are wrong. I've been there, Played MMOs for less time than it took to download and install. However, Your summary of the game is inaccurate based on only 2 hrs. You don't know the game yet. So it's fine to explain how you didn't like your tutorial and couldn't get past that, but don't tell people what they can expect. Unless you clarify that it's only 2 hrs.

If a MMO does't grab you in 2 hours then playing 4 or 5  hours won't make a difference. Starting levels are very crucial so if it doesn't grab you in the beginning players won't continue to play it for some magical level to come along and suck them in.

2 hours is a lot of time to make an assesment about whether you are going t play a MMO long term or not. 

I find it interesting how fans gets so defensive and start talking about how many hours one should put in or what 'level' ' (everyone has their own favorite number) they should reach before making an opinion. 

Time and time again same defensive arguments as if we are stuck in a time loop on these forums.

You honestly want to argue this point? Good job trying to sound convincing, but that is just flat out silly.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Quest system : identical to original wow, but slightly less kind, quest line doesn't match map flow very well, so it's geographically more confusing than wow, which is not a good thing for theme park game. (this is theme park game.) 

1. it is attractive to Final Fantasy fans. I haven't played any of FF series (I tried, but it wasn't really my thing.), so I guess I can be objective or even critical to FF environment.

2. end game contents 'may' be cool. But it is a long way for a gamer who's worn down by similar games.

So, conclusion is this.

Do not expect anything new. There is no new contents for new players. If you are looking for something new, you will be disappointed.

But if you are just looking for something to spend your  time mindlessly, 29$ isn't really a loss for this content imo.

If you like Japanese style fantasy world, you may even love this game. (I don't like them.)

Personally, I am not sure if I can keep leveling my char to max level. I was already bored after 2 hours.

The reason that it's popular is that people played it more than 2 hrs before reaching a conclusion. Look, if you decided after 2 hrs, it's not your game, I won't tell you you are wrong. I've been there, Played MMOs for less time than it took to download and install. However, Your summary of the game is inaccurate based on only 2 hrs. You don't know the game yet. So it's fine to explain how you didn't like your tutorial and couldn't get past that, but don't tell people what they can expect. Unless you clarify that it's only 2 hrs.

If a MMO does't grab you in 2 hours then playing 4 or 5  hours won't make a difference. Starting levels are very crucial so if it doesn't grab you in the beginning players won't continue to play it for some magical level to come along and suck them in.

2 hours is a lot of time to make an assesment about whether you are going t play a MMO long term or not. 

I find it interesting how fans gets so defensive and start talking about how many hours one should put in or what 'level' ' (everyone has their own favorite number) they should reach before making an opinion. 

Time and time again same defensive arguments as if we are stuck in a time loop on these forums.

There are certain keylevels though when important aspects of the game opens up.

lv10 war/magic: cross-classing war/magic and access to crafting/harvesting classes.

lv15 war/magic: first dungeon 

lv15 craft: cross-classing crafting skills

lv18 war/magic:  market-playing

lv20 war/magic: first "difficult" boss encounter

(This is what I know of, and I am currently lv30ish in both crating and a war/magic class)

I do not consider Grand Companies nor Chocobo mount to introduce important interesting aspects of the game; they are more just a part of the atmosphere. That's why I don't mention them.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Funny that you bring up Eden Eternal, where do you think they got their class system idea from? Final Fantasy, lol. Final Fantasy is renowned for having a "one character can be all classes" system in several installations of the FF series. FF III already had that in 1990. (Although who knows where FF got their inspiration from, I do now know what preceeded FF III XD)

So it is a very old system. Again, I don't give a slightest damn about who did what first. What I care is who IS doing great right now.  

By the way, this post is not for you FF fanboys, as subject clearly indicates. This post is for people who is considering to try this game or not. You guys already like this 'game'? then go waste your time in this game or whatever. 

And I just spent another 30 min in FF XIV and have one more to add, which is,

Traditional targeting system : which is not a bad thing, nothing against it. But isn't a great thing either. Especially when this game already has so many not-new-at-all characteristics, no one can say this typical targeting system is helping in any way.

So far, my 2.5 hours of FF XIV experience was like this :

Run to '!' mark to grab quest > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > do quest stuff > Run to NPC > > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue 

>Stuck in unskippable pointless storyline video(?) for 1~2 minutes > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > Finish a quest > Rinse and repeat.

Reminds me of SWTOR days. What happened to SWTOR by the way? 

Anyway, I will give a few more shot to this game, but countless previous experiences are telling me not to.

If I would percieve or play MMO's that way I would become very bored aswell. Luckely I don't play MMO or MMORPG the way I highlighted red.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

You honestly want to argue this point? Good job trying to sound convincing, but that is just flat out silly.

Exactly my point. Fans will now come and tell everyone how many hours they are suppossed to play before realising that this MMO is for them or not. Let me tell you something very simple.. for every MMO not just FFXIV..starting levels are the most crucial and if it doesn't grab you then, players won't trudge through 4 or 5 hours of boring gameplay for some magic to happen.

So yeah i do want to argue this point. You underestimate the beginning levels of the game and impact it has on new players.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Stopped reading at this point!

why waste ppls time with your "informed opinion" after 2 hours!! 

Come back after 100 hours and then i may listen to you.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Harvesting system reminds me of runescape which i acualy love :3

Exactly my point. Fans will now come and tell everyone how many hours they are suppossed to play before realising that this MMO is for them or not. Let me tell you something very simple.. for every MMO not just FFXIV..starting levels are the most crucial and if it doesn't grab you then, players won't trudge through 4 or 5 hours of boring gameplay for some magic t happen.

So yeah i do want to argue this point. You underestimate the beginning levels of the game and impact it has on new players.

I am not even arguing about FFXIV here. I am saying your statement is stupid, in general.

"2 hours is a lot of time to make an assesment about whether you are going t play a MMO long term or not. "

- by saying this, you are saying you may consider playing a game long term after only just 2 hours if it tickles your fancy for those 2 hours.

Exactly my point. Fans will now come and tell everyone how many hours they are suppossed to play before realising that this MMO is for them or not. Let me tell you something very simple.. for every MMO not just FFXIV..starting levels are the most crucial and if it doesn't grab you then, players won't trudge through 4 or 5 hours of boring gameplay for some magic t happen.

I am not even arguing about FFXIV here. I am saying your statement is stupid, in general.

"2 hours is a lot of time to make an assesment about whether you are going t play a MMO long term or not. "

- by saying this, you are saying you may consider playing a game long term after only just 2 hours if it tickles your fancy for those 2 hours.

Ofcourse..why else do companies offer trials for their MMOS? so that if players like what they see in the beginning they might become regular long term players..

I can't understand what is so silly about giving a game a try for few hours and then decide whether that a particular game is for you or not in long run. You make it sound as if just introduced an alien concept in MMO genre.

And i suggest go easy on name calling and try to have a conversation like an adult.

Ofcourse..why else do companies offer trials for their MMOS? so that if players like what they see in the beginning they might become regular long term players..

I can't understand what is so silly about giving a game a try for few hours and then decide whether that a particular game is for you or not in long run. You make it sound as if just introduced an alien concept in MMO genre.

And i suggest go easy on name calling and try to have a conversation like an adult.

I am sorry for the name calling and if it offended you. However, my point stands. I feel no need to explain it further so I'll leave it at that.

• spoononespoonone Member UncommonPosts: 40
    To those who does think 2 hours is not enough play time to judge.   I played a few hours in the beta and know this game is not for me.
    Originally posted by spoonone
    To those who does think 2 hours is not enough play time to judge.   I played a few hours in the beta and know this game is not for me.

When ever MMOS offer free trials 2 hours were more than enough for me to decide whether i am going to buy it or not. Like i said earlier. People under estimate the impact the first few hours of game has on new players. If beginning is boring and doesn't grab you chances are you will just not stick with it for long term. Only people who think 2 hours are not enough are the fans who can not accept that people can actually dislike their favorite game after 2 hours of gameplay.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Let me break down each point where your credibility got crunched away.Let me break down each point where your credibility got crunched away.

Yeah... WoW wasn't very original to its questing system first off, it was copy pasted from games like EQ1. That being said its a very silly thing to compare, and if you WERE comparing it... I'd honestly compare it more with FF14, while not perfect a lot of it matches the feel that game provides for its quests being more multi-party/story driven.

If by similiar to SWTOR you mean nothing like it... then yes. Its far more like... FF11. Yeah, FF11, a game that did this before hand that kind of emphasized the 'cut scene' quest/story telling. It doesnt' offer choices or anything, its just very much story driven. Loading is... um... unrelated to that? - points off that.

Yeah... points removed 0 percent score. Its based more on FF11 which really STARTED the "1 character, all class" system which Eden Eternal (a fun game btw that I enjoyed how they had it) picked up and used. That being said its not normally used, and its vastly more 'new' I guess if you want to call it that when you consider games like GW2 or SWTOR or most other MMOrpgs out there. Not original but good luck FINDING an original system out there. Its silly to complain about it in that way.

Graphics... yeah... I could quote it but your assessment on that was very vague and just worthless. Graphically the game has nothing really to point out against it maybe outside some graphical glitches that I've seen very rarely and likely on my side of things. If you judge graphics (which is subjective) you need to give content.

Over-all, you really tell absolutely posatively NOTHING. Your post helps not one bit at all. Your vague and throwing in very very vague things comparing it to other games which you can do with anything and give no good view of what a game is like. Come back with a real acessment if your attempting to 'convince' people to NOT try a game.

Bonus Points: Two hours of gameplay... TWO HOURS OF GAMEPLAY. Don't get me wrong, Guildwars 2 had me cringing after 2 hours, but that wasn't enough to make me feel like it was enough to give a judgement on it, and when I did come to a conclusion, I could give valid points.

When ever MMOS offer free trials 2 hours were more than enough for me to decide whether i am going to buy it or not. Like i said earlier. People under estimate the impact the first few hours of game has on new players. If beginning is boring and doesn't grab you chances are you will just not stick with it for long term. Only people who think 2 hours are not enough are the fans who can not accept that people can actually dislike their favorite game after 2 hours of gameplay.

People who fall in love with an MMO after only 2 hours are more foolish.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Let me break down each point where your credibility got crunched away.Let me break down each point where your credibility got crunched away.

Yeah... WoW wasn't very original to its questing system first off, it was copy pasted from games like EQ1. That being said its a very silly thing to compare, and if you WERE comparing it... I'd honestly compare it more with FF14, while not perfect a lot of it matches the feel that game provides for its quests being more multi-party/story driven.

If by similiar to SWTOR you mean nothing like it... then yes. Its far more like... FF11. Yeah, FF11, a game that did this before hand that kind of emphasized the 'cut scene' quest/story telling. It doesnt' offer choices or anything, its just very much story driven. Loading is... um... unrelated to that? - points off that.

Yeah... points removed 0 percent score. Its based more on FF11 which really STARTED the "1 character, all class" system which Eden Eternal (a fun game btw that I enjoyed how they had it) picked up and used. That being said its not normally used, and its vastly more 'new' I guess if you want to call it that when you consider games like GW2 or SWTOR or most other MMOrpgs out there. Not original but good luck FINDING an original system out there. Its silly to complain about it in that way.

Graphics... yeah... I could quote it but your assessment on that was very vague and just worthless. Graphically the game has nothing really to point out against it maybe outside some graphical glitches that I've seen very rarely and likely on my side of things. If you judge graphics (which is subjective) you need to give content.

Over-all, you really tell absolutely posatively NOTHING. Your post helps not one bit at all. Your vague and throwing in very very vague things comparing it to other games which you can do with anything and give no good view of what a game is like. Come back with a real acessment if your attempting to 'convince' people to NOT try a game.

I think your own credibility got crunched there. WOW questing 'COPY PASTED' from EQ1 really?

EQ1 requires a lot more effort from the player than most modern MMOs (WOW and EQ2 included):

All questing is scripted via /say in the command line. There are no quills to look for, or books to inform you who to see when you are done. You must do a lot of research as a new player just to know which NPCs give out what quests and which mobs drop the items for them (they do not show up with a flag on their tag letting you know they are for a quest).

The way things are worded in quest dialogs can be very particular - there used to be a joke circulating around the interwebs about what it would be like if SoE made a zone based on a Denny's, the parsing really was that weak in the beginning but it's not that bad now, most of the [keywords] are [bracketed] like [this] to avoid [player frustration]. >What about player frustration?

Another thing to note about questing is that, except for the more recent expansions and their additions, most quests in EQ1 yield little to no XP at all, so starting out most of your XP will be had from grinding mobs. This changes as you approach the end game where doing quests becomes much more preferable to camping, but until you get there you'll find yourself grinding a lot, especially for AAs.

Factioning is different, such that there is no master window letting you know where you stand with whom. If you want to know how well you are doing with the sarnaks lately, you need to find one and /con it. Although it operates on a points system, you will never know the exact number, all you will know is what rank you are currently at.

So please tell me how it is copy pasted from EQ1? way to self own yourself their bud.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

When I played the beta I thought "hmm, same old thing". After buying it last week and playing it I'm hooked. The game is very well made and is set up for the Final Fantasy Role Playing adventurer. I am not a fan of the franchise! My kids played it while growing up and I am becoming hooked by the lore and storyline in the game.

For those of you that would rather listen to the OPs short history of the game, you will be doing yourself a great disservice by not trying it. I am still venturing to attain my mount and have gotten well over $30 worth of entertainment out of the game. I salute SE for another worthy title added to my permanent "C:Games" inventory.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheSlitherTheSlither Member Posts: 59

No, quests line match map flow. Maybe after lvl 18-20 you are going to another location which is not directly connected to your start area but if you following main quest you always ends in area for your lvl. Game offer many to do, especially when you are starting with your first class. Sometimes is even hard to keep every quest, heis, dungeon etc done and match lvl main quest. Eg you are lvl 25 and still have main quest lvl 20 because of lot of things to do.

IDK SWTOR, regarding loading times = fix your slow computer, I see only one problem here, lot of them doest have voice acting.

Doesnt mean its bad.

Again, fix your slow computer and put performance in option to max. For MMORPG graphic is one of best out here.

Yes you have no idea. Period.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    My advice set your preferred in each 3main city
  • ZagaZaga Member Posts: 23

If you already know that you don't like the FF series, and that you don't like the art style, and that you are burnt out from theme park quests... why did you even waste money on this game?

I agree that the game is not groundbreaking, but the job system and the crafting do bring something unique to the table. Even if they're not new concepts, they are concepts that haven't been done well in other recent games.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    The class system, or Job system was developed by Final Fantasy many years ago.  You crediting it to Eden Eternal is insulting.  You haven't played final fantasy games, therefore you would never have known that.  Stop making snap judgements when you know nothing.

Who invented what first is not my interest at all. My point is that there is nothing new or interesting, or market-competitive in that system. So, FF invented it? I can't give less damn.

Then i guess the same goes for your dumb post, we couldn't give a damn about YOUR opinion on a game that is much more than you lol, why do people feel there opinions should be of everyone elses?

The game has plenty of things better than other mmo's and alot the same and sure i guess some that are worse but who are you to judge if these things are everyone elses cups of tea? I could almost bet that alot of people will play this game just for the franchise even if the game sucked, is this a bad thing? no..of course i myself am playing it because it is just Final Fantasy, not because it has something innovative or something new but because just like every other FF game it has heart, it has a world i want to be a part of, it has a community that i have grown to love since FFXI it has everything i want in a MMO to keep me entertained and happy, so ask yourself this, do we really need yet another person who has absolutely no persuasion over us as human beings trying to tell us what to do, no we don't so either like the game and enjoy it or dislike it and move along to something you do like because whatever your agenda is towards this game is about as pointless as trying to barbecue ice cubes.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by daltanious

I can agree mainly on all but please, do not compare story telling marvel of SWTOR to this trash. Yet has to be made game to be even remotely close to swtor lush.

LOL, well maybe in your opinion but mine is the opposite swtor was the trash,but hey the voice acting was ok.

Even with the missing vocals in the FF cut scenes the story is WAY WAY better than SWTOR's and being a Star Wars fan it was really disappointing - even more so to find out the millions they spent went to the voice actors and NOT the actual game.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Wow.. er.. anyone reading this and thinking it's a serious first impression needs to disregard everything the OP said.

From comments like "Storytelling : identical to SWTOR" and "playing first two hours", it's obvious they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Nothing more needs to be said.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

That's not the point. No one will tell you you are wrong. After two hours you may very well decide the game isn't for you. But after two hours you don't have much of an informed opinion to be able to post in a forum describing what the game is all about. There are many MMOs that don't reveal themselves in 2 hours.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat.

just a small note - ffxiv 1.0 is a year older than eden eternal

• Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38

So we finally reached the point on this site where the haters over run the fans of the game and its declared a massive failure no matter how well its doing?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Bandaid47

So we finally reached the point on this site where the haters over run the fans of the game and its declared a massive failure no matter how well its doing?

I think it probably started with GW2 and has evolved over to here. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.