Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best single player/solo MMORPG?

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Of course your question doesnt make sense at all,basicly what you are asking is What MMO is worst(not virtual world at all)  which is best for you.

Well mmm maybe these forums ?

Worst for you, best for me. It makes perfect sense because we have different preferences.

And certainly the answer can be answered. There are plenty of MMORPGs with good solo content. I understand that you don't like them. But i am not making this topic to talk about games you like, am i?

All you need to do is write that to your original question.

Peeps i am not making this topic to talk about games you like,am i ?  you can copy / paste that if you like.

And sorry  ,like I am now playing this  best mmo for you  (these forums) and i can play Skyrim at the same time,you cant.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I actually had a lot of desire to play through older games like Ultima and Wizardry and Might n Magic.I unlike many of the new era find games like Dragons Age to be very weak.I also lost interest in Skyrim very quickly,these are games that i hear most everyone praise yet they contradict themselves.

These games and many modern games are all looks and terrible game play.I do see bits and pieces of effort but the overall effect of a game has to keep me interested beyond the initial look of the graphics.That is why the older RPG's were much better,they were at the top of the heap for their time and game play was also at a premium.

Now i look at what these new games COULD be doing and they fall well short of capabilities,whereas those older games pretty much left little to be demanded.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I actually had a lot of desire to play through older games like Ultima and Wizardry and Might n Magic.I unlike many of the new era find games like Dragons Age to be very weak.I also lost interest in Skyrim very quickly,these are games that i hear most everyone praise yet they contradict themselves.

SKYRIM is just too much walking around.

I like more focused games like Splinter Cell, Dishonored, Deus Ex ....

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Team Fortress 2

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    My brain is melting and I didn't need to add anything chemically to do it - I just read this thread.    Think the OP is on the wrong forum because clearly he doesn't even know his own mind.
    Originally posted by Gorwe

But I'd keep to singleplayers/MOBAs if I were you. Recently I found out that I basically don't like MMOs because there's too much chaff to too little wheat(and that wheat isn't healthy to boot ffs!). Compared to the likes of Morrowind/NWN/PST/Dragon age/Diablo they plainly, forgive the term, suck. Why? Artificial elongation of play time. Ie: stupid gear grinds and collect 10 Bear paws quests(and only every Third Bear dropping paws O.0).

I am not disagreeing totally. MMORPGs are indeed, only a small part of my entertainment portfolio. However, i will raise two points.

First, it is not one or zero. While on average, what you say (MOBA and SP RPGs are better) may be true, but there are always gems in any genre, and there is no reason i should discriminate against MMOs. I simply don't restrict myself to any genre, and make decisions on game by game basis.

Secondly, the strategy works so far for me. For example, Marvel Hero is a pretty good solo MMORPG, and i played the story campaign like a SP game. Is it as polished, or as good as D3 as a ARPG? Of course not. But i don't just play one game (D3 in this case) forever either. Does MH warrant 30 hours of my time? Absolutely. In fact, if you play it as a ARPG, you can gone through it in 30 hrs and there is very little artificial elongation of time. In fact, it is fun enough that i may go back from time to time.

This artificial elongation of play time, and stupid gear grind that you are talking about, is simply a mind artifact created by MMO players who want to play just one game for a long period of time. Since i have no such shackle, i don't suffer from them. If the "grind" (i.e combat & farming) is fun (like D3), i will play it longer. If not, i will finish the content and move on.

Hence, i do play SP (and no MOBA, i don't like MOBA despite they are very successful, but that is another discussion) mostly but i see no compeling reason to "keep to" anything. That will simply decrease my fun.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

I'm not quite sure why there are some fairly negative responses on this thread. If you assume, and I believe you should in this case, that posts like this are not outright trolling then a discussion on solo MMO gaming is entirely warranted and can be meaningful no matter what your stance may be on the core subject. It is a factor in current MMO gaming and can't simply be brushed aside.

There is an insanely long stickied thread for the solo vs grouping debate. The debate that still worms its way into every other thread with the same tired arguments on both sides. So if you just accept that solo play is an experience that many wish to pursue then the natural question is 'what game gives the best solo gameplay?'. An analysis of the reasoning behind solo gameplay in an MMO world can be discussed in a number of other venues.

It may even be useful question for those that wish to avoid games that provide a solo outlet. I would say that from my entirely anecdotal experience many so-called solo gamers are in actuality a 70/30* (*made up number) mix of solo to group player anyway.

That minor rant aside, I would say that determining the viability of solo play in some games might hinge on the player's willingness to play multiple alts that supply the main character. At least in judging what content you might tackle if you are into the challenge of soloing hard content (in some cases a self imposed permadeath can even be fun). For sheer solo fun and full character progression though I vote The Secret World.

tldr: TSW

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Teala
    My brain is melting and I didn't need to add anything chemically to do it - I just read this thread.    Think the OP is on the wrong forum because clearly he doesn't even know his own mind.

I agree...

This is coming from the same guy who arduously pontificates about F2P and it is clear to see why.... Rather than invest in a game, he rides on the back of whales (or merely players who don't mind paying for their entertainment) plays through the SP "storyline" then "moves on and maybe reads a book"

Not that there is reallyu anything wrong with this style of play as many probably do this, but to come to a MMORPG forum and constantly rub "the majorities" (at least on this sites) nose in it is just trolling... Constant troll threads about "la de da I just play mmo's then abandon them when I reach the "end"" and "F2P is the fyootureee"

It's clear the 2 go hand and hand... Perhaps a better forum for your style of gameplay is RPGWatch or RPG Codex. Google them I am sure you will find a whole community there that would love to read the thousands of posts you wrote about their style of gameplay.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    surprisingly i would say EQ2 if you play as a Shadowknight :)
    Originally posted by Wighty

Not that there is reallyu anything wrong with this style of play as many probably do this, but to come to a MMORPG forum and constantly rub "the majorities" (at least on this sites) nose in it is just trolling... Constant troll threads about "la de da I just play mmo's then abandon them when I reach the "end"" and "F2P is the fyootureee"

Is it trolling when the themepark players "rub" the sandbox player, or the pve ones rub the pvp ones? Opposing opinions are being aired here everyday.

Plus, i did NOT say solo is superior than grouping in the topic, did i? I am merely pointing out that many MMOs can be enjoyed as a solo game (giving the response, and even the complaints here, that obviously is true, even if some don't like it). If so, it is fair game to discuss what MMO has the best solo-side of the game.

And if you do not want to discuss solo MMO, you can easily ignore this topic. There are others who do, and in fact, gives good discussion about various MMOs which can be enjoyed as a solo game.

Originally posted by Benedikt

Really?

Is it solo-able? Or does it have good solo (instanced) content? There is a difference, at least in my mind.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    wait wut, single player massive multiplayer online role playing game?

Killing dragons is my shit

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Benedikt

Really?

Is it solo-able? Or does it have good solo (instanced) content? There is a difference, at least in my mind.

up to the point where instances starts to include epic mobs, you can solo group instances. with epic mobs - when you are higher level then the mob and have healer mercenary, you can kill them in cca 50% of cases

edit: i mean epic x2 mobs, epic x4 are not soloable :) unless you are really significantly higher level and mentor down

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by arieste

TOR is very much designed for single-player as well, but the writing and story quality are just atrocious.  Most of it makes no sense whatsoever even from a protagonist perspective.  It's just extremely dumb and aimed at 8-year-olds.  

I agreed. I purposefully did NOT list TOR. It is a much worse SP games than these other ones i mentioned, to me at least.

If they have spent more effort in terms of writing and story scripting, instead of making the world, it would have been a much better game.

With all due respect, that makes no sense.  In fact, it's pretty much the opposite of what Bioware should have done.  I disagree with both of the quoted posters regarding the story.  The story in SWTOR is obviously its best feature, and as good as it is going to get for an mmorpg, which by nature isn't going to be conducive to  GREAT story-telling due to limitiations in the massive online structure.  Still, as far as storyline goes, few, if any, games could rival SWTOR (TSW is also very good, and LOTRO is probably a step above but benefits from basing the entire game on one of the greatest stories of all time).  

Bioware's problem isn't that they should have spent more time writing and story scripting and less time in making the world, it is just the opposite.  The world-design suffered horribly because they spent their entire time writing the story and getting the voice acting right.  Look at the world:  Linear, lifeless, claustrophobic.  They spent so much time making an immersive story that they forgot to provide us with an immersive, ambient atmosphere.  They basically boxed themselves in with their story, and the rest of the game suffered as a result.  

Still, if played as a single-player RPG, this game can be enjoyable for at least a couple of trips to level cap.  So, to answer the OP, I'd put SWTOR on the list with LOTRO, Rift,  WoW, and GW2.  All very solo-friendly games.  Technically, any of the themepark games these days can be soloed all the way to cap.  

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    The best solo playing game I've ever played is Real LIFE and I'm having a blast pretending shit happens and spending other peoples money too it's brilliant.

Asbo

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    The best solo playing game I've ever played is Real LIFE and I'm having a blast pretending shit happens and spending other peoples money too it's brilliant.

Too much griefing, horrible community, and not a big fan of permadeath.  

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I didn't read this whole thread but if I understand the OP correctly, I'd say TSW is the best mmo for single player play.

Originally posted by Riposte.This
    wait wut, single player massive multiplayer online role playing game?

Yeah .. like TOR, TSW, Marvel Heroes, and plenty of other examples. You are not paying attention to modern MMORPGs?

Originally posted by NightBandit

How is RL solo-able? You don't have a boss, family and neighbors (even if you decide you don't want friends)?

Originally posted by Jaedor

I didn't read this whole thread but if I understand the OP correctly, I'd say TSW is the best mmo for single player play.

I see TSW comes up a lot. I have did a trial of it a while back, may be it is time to go back (or when i have time).

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Narius... I highly recommend trying tsw. If you want an mmo with an excellent single player experince this is the one. If you suddenly feel like grouping it is easy to do. The group content is pretty average in terms of gameplay though.

I still think neverwinter has a fast paced fun single player expexperience.... just no mmo attached!
    Originally posted by madazz
    Narius... I highly recommend trying tsw. If you want an mmo with an excellent single player experince this is the one. If you suddenly feel like grouping it is easy to do. The group content is pretty average in terms of gameplay though.

I still think neverwinter has a fast paced fun single player expexperience.... just no mmo attached!

Yeah .. i will take that advice. I have already tried it before, and kind of like it.

May be i will go back to NWO too. I played that a bit and it feels like a decent 3rd person ARPG. However, the story does not move very fast, compared to STO & Marvel Heroes.

I wonder how many hours of SP content does these two games (TSW and NWO) have. I probably would go for the shorter one first.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Yeah .. i will take that advice. I have already tried it before, and kind of like it.

May be i will go back to NWO too. I played that a bit and it feels like a decent 3rd person ARPG. However, the story does not move very fast, compared to STO & Marvel Heroes.

I wonder how many hours of SP content does these two games (TSW and NWO) have. I probably would go for the shorter one first.

NWO has much less than TSW. Plus it isn't nearly as interesting (imo). NWO has the kind of stories that most people just click through (myself included). TSW has interesting stories, lots of cutscenes and sometimes interesting rewards too (cool clothing pieces). The only thing is, some of the quests in TSW may not be to your liking. Of course, you can just simply not do those ones. Overall I'd go for TSW over NWO. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by madazz Narius... I highly recommend trying tsw. If you want an mmo with an excellent single player experince this is the one. If you suddenly feel like grouping it is easy to do. The group content is pretty average in terms of gameplay though. I still think neverwinter has a fast paced fun single player expexperience.... just no mmo attached!
    Yeah .. i will take that advice. I have already tried it before, and kind of like it. May be i will go back to NWO too. I played that a bit and it feels like a decent 3rd person ARPG. However, the story does not move very fast, compared to STO & Marvel Heroes. I wonder how many hours of SP content does these two games (TSW and NWO) have. I probably would go for the shorter one first.  
    NWO has much less than TSW. Plus it isn't nearly as interesting (imo). NWO has the kind of stories that most people just click through (myself included). TSW has interesting stories, lots of cutscenes and sometimes interesting rewards too (cool clothing pieces). The only thing is, some of the quests in TSW may not be to your liking. Of course, you can just simply not do those ones. Overall I'd go for TSW over NWO. 

And read some sort of guide on the builds. It is possible to put a bunch of points in skills that look good individually, but all together don't do much and put a hamper on your progression through the game.

Don't throw away any items. Deconstruct them and save the resulting materials. Even the low level materials, because you can combine the low level materials into higher level materials to make the higher level items. You will make enough in game money without selling items to expand your inventory and such anyway, so you don't really need to sell your stuff. Just deconstruct as many things as you can, and make the highest grade materials for crafting that you can.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Well you can't go wrong with TSW...if you like modern setting/conspiracies etc. Otherwise, it Might not be up your alley. Still, the voice acting/inv-sab missions/atmosphere is superb. It's just that I don't care about modern setting in games. To each his own. It is a Great game anyhow.

I think a modern conspiracy setting will be fresh. How many games can boast that?