Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well that escalated quickly... :X

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I was trying to start a new Daggermancer in GW2... and, well I had started all my 8 chars on an US server, because back then I was mostly playing on my nighttime. Now, I thought, he I could do some Guesting on an EU server when I play on daytime to meet some EU buddies. BUUUT, lo and behold. You can't. You can transfar. But you can't transfer ONE char to play there, oh no. You have to transfer ALL of them or none.

WTF?

And then they want 1800 crystal, because you can transfer. All. Or none. I mean, wow, that's quite expensive for something the system does automatically. Or maybe some 14 year old Indonesian child does in liek 30 seconds of pressing a few buttons!

And no, you can't create a new char on another server for the fun. Oh no, that wuld be too easy. You have to create ALL of them on the SAME server!

Seriously. WHO the heck decices such bullshit??

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Elikal

I was trying to start a new Daggermancer in GW2... and, well I had started all my 8 chars on an US server, because back then I was mostly playing on my nighttime. Now, I thought, he I could do some Guesting on an EU server when I play on daytime to meet some EU buddies. BUUUT, lo and behold. You can't. You can transfar. But you can't transfer ONE char to play there, oh no. You have to transfer ALL of them or none.

WTF?

And then they want 1800 crystal, because you can transfer. All. Or none. I mean, wow, that's quite expensive for something the system does automatically. Or maybe some 14 year old Indonesian child does in liek 30 seconds of pressing a few buttons!

And no, you can't create a new char on another server for the fun. Oh no, that wuld be too easy. You have to create ALL of them on the SAME server!

It was that way since GW2 became live. It is nothing new. This is someone who is trying to make a shit storm  out of something that was reported at the beginning.  BFD!!

They are trying to prevent guild from transferring to better servers and tilting the WvW matches. They were free before but too many people were transferring to spy and cause havoc on WvW.

YOU can guest but that means getting an invite.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I'm sure the logic behind the way server selection and transfers work is to promote server pride especially for WvW. Unfortunately server pride went out the window with the way they allowed free transfers for months and had the rapidly rotating server match ups. If playing on both US and EU servers is super important to you, you can always buy another account for playing EU. Not the solution you wanted, I know.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I understand the WvW thing. But that isn't so difficult. Are US servers ever fighting against EU servers anyway`?

Anywho, then allow to make chars on other servers, but you can play WvW only with ONE. Voila, problem solved. 1800 Crystals, thats 30 Euro! I get an entire new COPY of the game for that money! That is sheer robbery.

And well the problem is new to ME.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Oh it seems you decided to post this to here, too.

It won't do you any good, unless you're here just to vent steam.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

WTF?

well, if you'd know the server architecture then you'd realise why it's this way...

The whole thing works that way because it's cheaper and they have seperate databases for US and EU servers as well as the location of them. So if you want to play on EU servers you have to transfer your ACCOUNT to EU server.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

GW2  (and GW1) is one of the few games where you add a friends character to your friends list

the entire acct will be flagged as a friend  -- including new characters that don't exist yet

same goes for blocking spammers -- the entire spammer acct is flagged for blocking using only one character name

i don't know if these system mechanics are part of the transfer issue

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I understand the WvW thing. But that isn't so difficult. Are US servers ever fighting against EU servers anyway`?

Anywho, then allow to make chars on other servers, but you can play WvW only with ONE. Voila, problem solved. 1800 Crystals, thats 30 Euro! I get an entire new COPY of the game for that money! That is sheer robbery.

Everything they did regarding servers was to reduce the costs to minimum so they can provide a B2P game.

I don't see how exactly is this a robbery when you can buy gems with in game golds! 1800 crystals aren't that expencive and also, they did this because you want to transfer to a highly populated/almost full server.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

the gw2 server set up is the dumbest crap i've ever seen.  why the hell would i want to be locked down to one server?  especially if my server is dead or full of ass clowns.

traditional servers are where it's at

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

You can grind gold ingame and do the change for free :)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

the gw2 server set up is the dumbest crap i've ever seen.  why the hell would i want to be locked down to one server?  especially if my server is dead or full of ass clowns.

If you don't like it don't play.

It is a B2P game any way.  As people said, they have separate databases of players in EU and NA right now. They will have another separate one for Asia. It is ease of maintenance and updates that this was done. I see nothing wrong with it.  Most ass clowns are in FF right now as they like being elitist snobs.

YEAH - traditional servers are where it is at - tell that to the FF players with their precious game. It has had more server hiccups than when WoW came out. Yeah - they are really stable.

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315

Only problem i see is WvWvW since you can guest on 2 other servers for 20 hours every 24 hours for all your pve needs

Edit

and for dungeons you dont have to switch and lfg tool is inc sept 17

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Do you not see the inconsistency in those statements?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Do you not see the inconsistency in those statements?

Well i think he means that sure all chars on 1 server but if i get bord i can go to this server and start some more..... but due to gw2 dont want to waste server space on alot of dead chars you cant do that, i myself think thats a good idea.

if the transfer cost was only rl money ala wow i would not like that idea but not that is not so ( atm 1800 gems can be bought with 88g and 89s)

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    We have known about the US/EU split since beta. Why are you bringing this up a year later?
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

The only issues I see with the entire OP's post is the issue of regional EU/US (and soon to be Asian) split.  Because of server guesting, there should be no issues at all within one's own region.  That has the exception of WvW, but of course that is separate because it's basically 'server wars' (allowing guesting on that end would cause all sorts of score stacking, spying, and other issues).   WvW is also the reason why people only have a single "home server" and cannot have multiple characters across multiple servers.

But to the problem with regional and why there isn't cross-server guesting across regions.  It's because the data centers aren't linked.   The EU data centers are located somewhere in or around Germany, where as the US data centers are in....Washington? (I think they're at A.Net's Redmond facility, but don't know that for sure).    So it's a technology reason that they cannot allow guesting between the  two because latency and communication limitations.

One last thing to consider with that whole Gem Cost for server transfer.  As others have mentioned, it's entirely possible to spend the 60-80 gold and transfer without paying any real $$ at all. 

But when in comparison of other games, take a game like World of Warcraft as an example of working against you. WoW character transfer costs $25 USD PER CHARACTER to transfer from one server to another. Oh...and here's their restrictive notation: "Characters can only be transferred between realms and accounts in the same region."

Hopefully all that above is taken into consideration before asking for the moon....

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Honestly, I would just wait for a sale and purchase a new account for EU. It's easy enough to level up and I THINK that you can send stuff to EU accounts from US accounts.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by botrytis

It is a B2P game any way.  As people said, they have separate databases of players in EU and NA right now. They will have another separate one for Asia. It is ease of maintenance and updates that this was done. I see nothing wrong with it.  Most ass clowns are in FF right now as they like being elitist snobs.

YEAH - traditional servers are where it is at - tell that to the FF players with their precious game. It has had more server hiccups than when WoW came out. Yeah - they are really stable.

Because the GW2 servers didn't have any hiccups when it launched... *rolls eyes*

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I'm sorry, I'm failing to see how the anchorman reference applies to your situation.  Did you kill someone with a trident out of frustration?  Otherwise, what does that have to do with your post?

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by botrytis

Because the GW2 servers didn't have any hiccups when it launched... *rolls eyes*

did they?,,,,*rolls eyes back*.....I guess if you never played the game you wouldn't know the answer

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

I'm sorry, I'm failing to see how the anchorman reference applies to your situation.  Did you kill someone with a trident out of frustration?  Otherwise, what does that have to do with your post?

Well, it was just my escalating anger with each new sour discovery what doesn't work in GW2.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Well, it was just my escalating anger with each new sour discovery what doesn't work in GW2.

It's been like that forever, though. D:  The Europe and US servers are two totally seperate server sets.  They're physically not in the same place.

The WvW is separated, the sPvP is separated, the trading post is separated.

It's not really an attempt to get gems, either, since they are letting people guest within the US cluster or within the European cluster.  Talk about an incredibly small market, JUST the amount of people willing to swap from US to Europe or vice versa.... what would even be the benefit to that, vs. just making both clusters intermingle if it was feasible with their server architecture? :/

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I like the GW2 setup where I can guest my toons to any NA server for free. takes 1 click of the mouse and you can either play on guest server or your home server

Now suppose you are playing any traditional MMO and your server dies, you pay a fee to transfer your toons to another server that you know noting about. Might spend 20 or 30 bucks and find out you just paid to transfer to a server with a bigger bunch of asshats

I miss DAoC

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

1. Dont transfer to most populated server so it wont be 1800 gems

2. If you delete all your characters you can transfer for free

3. 1800 gems is not 30 Euro, its 22 Euro. How much it costs to transfer 1 character in WoW again (P2P game)?

4. You can also transfer for free if you want to grind enough gold and buy gems ingame, that would be like 80-90g, or less to less populated server

5. QQ moar in a B2P game

6. GW2 has best server setup, along Rift where transfers are free 1/week, but guesting in GW2 beats that

And yes, whoever said, compared to FFXIV, GW2 had miniscule launch problems and 99% of people could actually play in headstart and week(s) later.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Seriously! It was known from the start you could only play on a single server! That Your account would be bound to the server you choose at the beginning and that all future chars would be created there.

The game even warns you when you create Your first char and choose Your server for first time, that the decision would be final! /sigh

The only reason there were free transfers available during the first months, was to offload the Heavy pop servers.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    it is cheaper to buy the second game tbh :D