Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggest a game to me!

piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

After having subscribed to Rift for a long period, I have decided to unsub and start playing it casually instead, now that it's F2P. I still like Rift a lot, but feel like I have room for a second MMO, which could eventually become a replacement MMO. I'm not quite up to speed with the latest MMOs, so instead of researching every single one of them (it's a jungle out there!), I thought I'd might as well ask the awesome community here for suggestions.

What I'm looking for is this:

1. Game MUST be solo friendly. I hardly ever do dungeons (only if I have non-daily quests in them) and never raid, so the game has to offer something more/other than that. I do however enjoy public quests and dynamic events a lot, as long as it's something you can join/leave at your own leisure.

2. Must have PvP (preferably in the form of battlegrounds) with grindable gear and/or levels to keep me busy (this is very important).

3. Robust crafting system (preferably one that doesn't require BoP mats only obtainable through raiding).

4. Relatively big world (it's a big plus if it encourages exploration, but not a must).

5. Prefer western style graphics, but not an absolute must, if the game's really good.

6. I would prefer P2P, but can live with F2P if the model is good.

I realize that I pretty much just described Rift, but I hope to find something a bit like it, that will still feel fresh.

I have already tried:

SWTOR: An okay game, but falls flat (in my opinion) in some areas, most notably F2P model, world design and crafting.

Everquest 2: This is definitely one of the games I consider. The world is pretty good, so is the crafting. The big downside for me is the look of the game. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I never liked the graphics that much. I heard it has PvP battlegrounds now, are they any good? Could you level up through PvP if you wanted to?

LOTRO: Also under consideration. Only major downside is the lack of a solid PvP system, rest seems okay.

WoW: A friend convinced me to give it a shot, but I just can't get into it. I hate the art style (too much "color explosion" for my taste), but have to admit that it has a lot to offer, so I still consider it. As far as I can tell though, this game has little endgame content for the solo player and no public quests or dynamic events?

Guild Wars 2: I bought it at launch, but lost interest about a month after I hit 80 and had 100% world completion and completed most jumping puzzles. Game's good in many ways, but it had little staying power for me. It lacked a carrot to chase I guess.

So, any suggestions? Feel free to answer/comment on the questions in green as well, and sorry in advance for any bad english ;-)

Comments

• CptSausageCptSausage Member Posts: 1
    The Secrete World I heard is good. Never tried it. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    EQ2 fits all your criteia pretty well .. excellent game...
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Defiance is a great second MMO. You can jump into the game and play for 20-30 minutes at a time and have a blast.
  • piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Thanks all 3 of you. I'm terribad at shooters, so defiance and secret world are probably not for me. I actually played Defiance at launch (mostly because I like Trion), but it felt very unfinished and didn't make a very good impression.

Maybe Everquest 2 is the best choice for me, but how good is the PvP? Can you level up through PvP?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

its pretty good and yes you can but altho it will scale you .. it will bea long and dirty road ..:)

Alternitivley the lore and questing are top notch ... overland and dungeons plenty , housing and crafting are great ..

Also we are getting a new class in November so there will be planty of folks goin thru .lower levels ..

Antonio Bayle and Unrest are good srvers .. i am on Unrest as Ricochet .. gimme a holler i can try to help you get started ..

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    GW2 or TSW. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I recommend The Secret World. Its not a shooter lol.

Fun game great change of pace.

• scarlettxscarlettx Member Posts: 30

Hey Piquet! I can only speak to WoW, as it was my first and only MMO (I posted my own LFGame thread the other day - loads of great responses if you care to read through them), but to answer your question ...

As someone who was in a small guild that never got to experience end-game because most of them lost interest in level grinding, I can confirm that it felt like there was very little to do at max level as a solo player. Sure, crafting and farming was still fun, but filling my coffers with gold (and rarely finding anything worthwhile to spend it on) got to be tedious toward the end. Now to be fair, I never got into PvP, so maybe that would have enhanced the solo end-game a great deal, but it just wasn't something that interested me. So unless you guild up and get into raiding, or you really enjoy the farm/craft/AH-for-profit cycle as I did for a while, WoW may not hold much late-game appeal for you either.

Really appreciate that you listed out everything you liked about RIFT though. That's high on my list for new MMOs to try out!

Originally posted by drtack1

I recommend The Secret World. Its not a shooter lol.

Fun game great change of pace.

I never even considered Secret World, because for some reason my impression was that it was a shooter lol.

I looked it up and watched some youtube videos. The game actually looks great, though I'm not sure what to think about the crafting system, hoped it would be more fleshed out. What I do like is how different it is to everything else I've tried, so it's definitely worth a try. Thanks :-)

Originally posted by Scorchien

its pretty good and yes you can but altho it will scale you .. it will bea long and dirty road ..:)

Alternitivley the lore and questing are top notch ... overland and dungeons plenty , housing and crafting are great ..

Also we are getting a new class in November so there will be planty of folks goin thru .lower levels ..

Antonio Bayle and Unrest are good srvers .. i am on Unrest as Ricochet .. gimme a holler i can try to help you get started ..

Thanks Scorchien! Thats really nice of you. image

I already have characters on the Splitpaw (EU) server, so that's probably where I'm going to play if I choose EQ2, but I appreciate your offer. I agree that lore and quests are really good, the only thing I'm not sure about is the PvP, but I guess it's something I just have to try to get an idea if it's any good.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    I recommend EVE
    Originally posted by scarlettx

Hey Piquet! I can only speak to WoW, as it was my first and only MMO (I posted my own LFGame thread the other day - loads of great responses if you care to read through them), but to answer your question ...

As someone who was in a small guild that never got to experience end-game because most of them lost interest in level grinding, I can confirm that it felt like there was very little to do at max level as a solo player. Sure, crafting and farming was still fun, but filling my coffers with gold (and rarely finding anything worthwhile to spend it on) got to be tedious toward the end. Now to be fair, I never got into PvP, so maybe that would have enhanced the solo end-game a great deal, but it just wasn't something that interested me. So unless you guild up and get into raiding, or you really enjoy the farm/craft/AH-for-profit cycle as I did for a while, WoW may not hold much late-game appeal for you either.

Really appreciate that you listed out everything you liked about RIFT though. That's high on my list for new MMOs to try out!

Glad if I could inspire you to try out Rift. I think it's of the better MMOs out there, it has a lot of content! You can definitely tell that it was made on a much smaller budget compared to WoW (production value and polish is not as good as WoW's), but if you can look past that, you're in for a treat. I think Trion accomplished something great with Rift. It started out as a definite WoW clone, but I think they have moved so far away from WoW, that that's no longer the case.

To name some of the things that sets It apart from WoW:

• Planar attunement (with 1079 levels to grind)
    • Awesome housing
    • Dynamic events
    • Instant adventures (public quests that you can join from anywhere at any time with scalable difficulty and rewards depending on the amount of players
    • Slivers (quick mini raids)
    • Chronicles (scenarios for 1-2 players - can be soloed if well geared)
    • Artifacts (like collections in EQ2)
    • Wardrobe system
    • Armor dyes
    • Souls (each class have 9 souls or skilltrees that you can mix and match any way you want)
    • Roles (works like WoW's dualspec, but you can have 5 different specs or "roles")

The game also has battlegrounds (a matter of opinion, but I find them really fun), 3-way PvP on a large map, crafting, dungeons, raids, fishing and cooking. The pre-expansion world is perhaps not as interesting and big as the 2 expansion continents, but once you get to the 2 new continents, the game starts to shine.

Originally posted by Mavolence
    I recommend EVE

I tried it several years ago, but I found it extremely hard to solo, so I didn't play for long.

• pkpsangriapkpsangria Member Posts: 8
    I would recommend Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. It meets every one of your requirement except that its PVP will be implemented in the next patch as something called "Frontier". 
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

My suggestion, don't look towards the big MMOs for your next one. It's gonna feel samey and will burn you out quickly.

As for my suggestion, I'd go with Wurm online. It's a breath of fresh air amongst all the themepark garbage clones.

A few main features:

fully open world

'servers' are linked islands and you can sail from one to another with a ship

can build houses anywhere and in any shape you want them

can terraform the entire world in any way you like

crafting is the most important part of the game. everything is player crafted

you can pay your membership with the money you earn ingame

a few words of caution:

don't expect a massive community. This game has 500-1k concurrent users but this is a very stable number and has slowly risen over the years.

this game is hard compared to the traditional MMO. gathering resources to build things takes time. A single 3 meter long house wall takes 20 planks. This is not instant gratification in any form.

combat is not an option for a starter. You'll be running from the majority of aggressive mobs until you get your hands on some mid-level gear.

there is an entry barrier which is pretty steep for an indie game (16-24 euro). You can download and try the game for free though.

Thank you all, I appreciate all the suggestions! :-)

Everquest 2 is probably my best option as it stands. I have decided to stay with Rift for the time being and have Everquest 2 as a second MMO when I need a break from Rift.

Wurm Online sounds very interesting by the way and VERY different, might try that out too.

Thanks again guys!

Originally posted by pkpsangria
    I would recommend Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. It meets every one of your requirement except that its PVP will be implemented in the next patch as something called "Frontier". 

If it wasn't for the mandatory dungeon running, I would definitely give this game a chance. The crafting alone sounds really good, but I'm trying to avoid games that forces me to do dungeons. Thing is that I'm really bad at playing a particular role in a group and hate the whole concept of it, so I try to avoid it as much as I can. Thanks for the suggestion though ;-)

• scarlettxscarlettx Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by piquet

Glad if I could inspire you to try out Rift. I think it's of the better MMOs out there, it has a lot of content! You can definitely tell that it was made on a much smaller budget compared to WoW (production value and polish is not as good as WoW's), but if you can look past that, you're in for a treat. I think Trion accomplished something great with Rift. It started out as a definite WoW clone, but I think they have moved so far away from WoW, that that's no longer the case.

To name some of the things that sets It apart from WoW:

• Planar attunement (with 1079 levels to grind)
    • Awesome housing
    • Dynamic events
    • Instant adventures (public quests that you can join from anywhere at any time with scalable difficulty and rewards depending on the amount of players
    • Slivers (quick mini raids)
    • Chronicles (scenarios for 1-2 players - can be soloed if well geared)
    • Artifacts (like collections in EQ2)
    • Wardrobe system
    • Armor dyes
    • Souls (each class have 9 souls or skilltrees that you can mix and match any way you want)
    • Roles (works like WoW's dualspec, but you can have 5 different specs or "roles")

The game also has battlegrounds (a matter of opinion, but I find them really fun), 3-way PvP on a large map, crafting, dungeons, raids, fishing and cooking. The pre-expansion world is perhaps not as interesting and big as the 2 expansion continents, but once you get to the 2 new continents, the game starts to shine.

Piquet, that's probably the most concise and compelling pro-RIFT summary I've read. You sure do know how to sell a game! :)

Which server(s) do you prefer? Another MMORPG'er recommended Threesprings as being a great PvE choice.

Originally posted by crasset15

My suggestion, don't look towards the big MMOs for your next one. It's gonna feel samey and will burn you out quickly.

As for my suggestion, I'd go with Wurm online. It's a breath of fresh air amongst all the themepark garbage clones.

A few main features:

fully open world

'servers' are linked islands and you can sail from one to another with a ship

can build houses anywhere and in any shape you want them

can terraform the entire world in any way you like

crafting is the most important part of the game. everything is player crafted

you can pay your membership with the money you earn ingame

Crasset, I was just reading about Wurm for the first time on Massively last night. Reminds me of Second Life but with an actual purpose and function beyond random, aimless wandering. Looks really intriguing!

Originally posted by piquet

Originally posted by pkpsangria

If it wasn't for the mandatory dungeon running, I would definitely give this game a chance. The crafting alone sounds really good, but I'm trying to avoid games that forces me to do dungeons. Thing is that I'm really bad at playing a particular role in a group and hate the whole concept of it, so I try to avoid it as much as I can. Thanks for the suggestion though ;-)

I know how you feel. I tried (and failed pretty epically) to be a tank on my first WoW toon. I re-rolled and went for DPS, but was told repeatedly that I needed to study my rotation. Eventually I became really excellent at my class and effective in dungeons, but they can be really stressful, especially if you're primarily using a Dungeon Finder or similar for your grouping, as I was. PUGs can be really nasty and inhospitable at times!

I believe it was mentioned earlier, but have you looked into The Secret World? It's supposed to be very solo-friendly and without all the mandatory grouping or dungeon running.

Your thread has gotten me really interested in trying out EQ2 myself (as well as RIFT). So many games, so little time! ;)

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I don't think Secret World is really what he's after.  I could be wrong haven't played that much of it.

World is instanced so not that big.  Combat is a bit meh.  And crafting does not seem to be a big part of the game.  Good story missions and interesting world are its biggest draws IMO.

Fallen Earth has a much larger world and does have instanced PvP.  It has fantastic crafting and all ingame items are player made.  Of course this negates gear drops, however in PvP you compete for rare mats which leads to better gear, so almost the same thing.  It is also F2P but definitely not pay to win.  

Definitely worth looking at as it will cost you nothing to try.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by CptSausage
    The Secrete World I heard is good. Never tried it. 

Started playing the secret world about a month ago.  really enjoying it.  It really makes you think in some of the puzzles.  An example is a morse code you have to figure out.  (of course you can use the interweb to help figure it out, or find the answer). The crafting I can't say much of.  I'm normally a crafting fiend, but I just don't feel it in this game.  The PVP is there, and a lot of people like it, but alas I can't really talk to it either.  I'm having enough with PvE right now that I'm not hung up with pvp yet.  overall, I can recommend it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

Wurm Online fits:

1: Solo Friendly- Difficult in your first few days as you get established soloing is possible but I would advice to  make a few friends as the game will become much easier....

2: PVP is open world however, at the same time pvp is not an occurrence that happens often either... as the world is quite large and simply finding another person to kill can be a task at times!

3: NOTHING currently out can even touch Wurm Onlines Crafting the ONLY Crafting system that could ever come close is Star Wars Galaxies....

4: Very big world, were you can build a boat and sail to another server with travel time upwards of an hour or more one way....

5: Graphics are lacking, Wurm is developed by one guy and he does his best but obviously he doesn't have the resources at his disposal that Blizzard or any big name has for that matter.... 

6: P2P with an ability to actually earn play time in game similar to Eve's Plex ability...

Sadly I feel Wurm is the best MMO on the market right now...  I wish Rolf would suddenly get rich so it could develop faster!

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

Originally posted by scarlettx
     Piquet, that's probably the most concise and compelling pro-RIFT summary I've read. You sure do know how to sell a   game! :)

Which server(s) do you prefer? Another MMORPG'er recommended Threesprings as being a great PvE choice.

Sorry if I sounded like a salesman, I guess I have rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to Rift, but having said that, I still think it's one of the absolute best themeparks available. I play on the EU server "Zaviel". I don't know much about the US servers, but Threesprings seems like the popular choice, so might be a good place to start :-)

I know how you feel. I tried (and failed pretty epically) to be a tank on my first WoW toon. I re-rolled and went for DPS, but was told repeatedly that I needed to study my rotation. Eventually I became really excellent at my class and effective in dungeons, but they can be really stressful, especially if you're primarily using a Dungeon Finder or similar for your grouping, as I was. PUGs can be really nasty and inhospitable at times!

I believe it was mentioned earlier, but have you looked into The Secret World? It's supposed to be very solo-friendly and without all the mandatory grouping or dungeon running.

Your thread has gotten me really interested in trying out EQ2 myself (as well as RIFT). So many games, so little time! ;)

Yeah, I just gave up on it, can't find the motivation to keep trying and I never found it that much fun to begin with. I decided to start playing EQ2 and already have fun with it. Don't know how the endgame will work out for me, but I'll take my time to get there and then see. Hope you will enjoy Rift/EQ2 as well if you ever try them. Thanks for your suggestions and feedback!

Originally posted by jfoytek

Wurm Online fits:

1: Solo Friendly- Difficult in your first few days as you get established soloing is possible but I would advice to  make a few friends as the game will become much easier....

2: PVP is open world however, at the same time pvp is not an occurrence that happens often either... as the world is quite large and simply finding another person to kill can be a task at times!

3: NOTHING currently out can even touch Wurm Onlines Crafting the ONLY Crafting system that could ever come close is Star Wars Galaxies....

4: Very big world, were you can build a boat and sail to another server with travel time upwards of an hour or more one way....

5: Graphics are lacking, Wurm is developed by one guy and he does his best but obviously he doesn't have the resources at his disposal that Blizzard or any big name has for that matter.... 

6: P2P with an ability to actually earn play time in game similar to Eve's Plex ability...

Sadly I feel Wurm is the best MMO on the market right now...  I wish Rolf would suddenly get rich so it could develop faster!

Sounds compelling. Will definitely check it out ;-)

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Hello kitty Online :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by apocoluster
    Hello kitty Online :)

I hate cats :-)