Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Review in Progress #3

13»

Comments

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75
    the fates look like crap.. GW2 dynamic events are way better.. not only that this game is so 2 dimensional... you hardly platform anywhere so its basically pure combat nothing else, gw2 have better exploration... 
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords
    the fates look like crap.. GW2 dynamic events are way better.. not only that this game is so 2 dimensional... you hardly platform anywhere so its basically pure combat nothing else, gw2 have better exploration... 

Define "2 dimensional" and "platform" please.

I'm having a blast as a tank in ARR. My queue times are generally about 5 sec or so. I've always enjoyed tanking in other mmo's, so it's no surprise that I'm having fun as a warrior. However, one of my biggest gripes is how disappointing the dungeon loot has been so far. Hopefullly this gets better later on.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Leiros
    Originally posted by dwarfkinglords

Define "2 dimensional" and "platform" please.

I'm having a blast as a tank in ARR. My queue times are generally about 5 sec or so. I've always enjoyed tanking in other mmo's, so it's no surprise that I'm having fun as a warrior. However, one of my biggest gripes is how disappointing the dungeon loot has been so far. Hopefullly this gets better later on.

Pretty sure that's a roundabout way of him complaining that there's no jumping puzzles in the game. In a sense he's right, Squeenix added jumping to the game, but didn't really add any reason to jump. Sure there's a few shortcuts which can be taken here or there, but so far that's been about the extent of it. Exploration as a whole so far (only level 17 on my main class) has been pretty nonexistent. I will admit that's one thing Arenanet did right; there's tons of stuff to discover off the beaten path.

As far as FATEs vs. Dynamically Static (as I call them) events go, they're almost completely identical. The only 'advantage' (and I use that term quite loosely) GW2's version has is that success / failure for one event will sometimes trigger another one in the same or a nearby area. That's it. Both of them are generally zerged down with no effort whatsoever, frequently involve simply collecting or killing things, and neither of them have any sort of effect on the world which lasts for more than a few minutes at best. To claim that one is better than the other is just silly.

I'll stick with FFXIV though. It's the first FF game I've found fun & engaging since FF9, and so far the story (unlike most previous FF games after 7) actually makes sense and is well written, with nary an overly emo, overly silly, or overly annoying character in sight... so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't have a version of Snow, Squall, or (God help me) Tidus hiding in the wings somewhere.

• fistanmagefistanmage Member Posts: 4
    this review is nothing but a bash. Seriously I play a DPS or DD role as my main and I play a tank.. I love them both. As a tank it our job to learn the dungeon and mobs. we are your guides to a safe and happy journey through the maze of death. I hate it when I am tanking and there is more then one Arcanist in the group. I have done this for my Free Company to help. and they use the Tank carbie. Yes it is nice to solo with. But honestly at the lower level dungeons a tank does not get the skills it needs to have major hate. So all you ACN players.. and there are a lot of them.  Please as a tank I ask you not to use your tank pet. Cause really.. you do that and pull argro off the tank. we can not get it back from it. So then what is a tank suppose to do. Cause well we are not DPS or Damage Dealers. we are the groups get your butt beat on person. So if you use a tank pet and grab argro off the tank and well you die.. Stop yelling at the Healer and the Tank.. cause one the healer heals the tank..  Sorry but it is how this game works.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Aori

People who say dungeons are easy.. which one are they?

Tank: CC the triangle

DPS1: tank them all

DPS2: ya we don't need CC

Healer: **** my life

Tank: Don't stand in front

DPS1: Then turn it around

DPS2: Raise!

Seriously this is very common..

So true it makes me want to cry (WHM myself)

And the dps dare to complain about "bad" tanks and healers, when they're all exactly like that.

99.9% of the dps in the game doesn't understand that the game is FAR more about control / aggro management than any DINGDING OVER 9000! DPS!!!!11.

I personally stop healing after the first time DPS get damaged by red (aoe/cone) or pull aggro, if they get hit again, i don't heal them. Shouldn't be that hard to manage aggro with the build in hate meters and tells all around.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Aori

People who say dungeons are easy.. which one are they?

Tank: CC the triangle

DPS1: tank them all

DPS2: ya we don't need CC

Tank: Don't stand in front

DPS1: Then turn it around

DPS2: Raise!

Seriously this is very common..

LMAO! As a healer and tank i agree. xD

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    If you are a caster stay caster.in theory you can go disciple of war.but on average I would stay caster.your class boss also warn you.yes you can go other class.but I would suggest you master this one first.follow the warning of the class master.same for crafting.
  • DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by fistanmage
    this review is nothing but a bash. Seriously I play a DPS or DD role as my main and I play a tank.. I love them both. As a tank it our job to learn the dungeon and mobs. we are your guides to a safe and happy journey through the maze of death. I hate it when I am tanking and there is more then one Arcanist in the group. I have done this for my Free Company to help. and they use the Tank carbie. Yes it is nice to solo with. But honestly at the lower level dungeons a tank does not get the skills it needs to have major hate. So all you ACN players.. and there are a lot of them.  Please as a tank I ask you not to use your tank pet. Cause really.. you do that and pull argro off the tank. we can not get it back from it. So then what is a tank suppose to do. Cause well we are not DPS or Damage Dealers. we are the groups get your butt beat on person. So if you use a tank pet and grab argro off the tank and well you die.. Stop yelling at the Healer and the Tank.. cause one the healer heals the tank..  Sorry but it is how this game works.

I have to use my tank pet sometimes because people join as a tank, but don't even use their taunts. So I use topaz to grab adds that are beating on the healer.

But this is usually at early levels. Not needed by level 30.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Is there nothing exciting enough to review in this game that in the first RIPs the topics have been server stability, party size, and inventory systems? This is not a good sign for something that has been named AAA game.
  • HjorulvHjorulv Member UncommonPosts: 17

Having played a tank, healer and dps in the game, it's the same dynamic as every other game.  DPS just try to put out as much damage as possible, when that isn't really playing responsibly for a party victory.  That's why I personally call DPS [Duh, Point, (Shoot, Swing or Spell)]  At least in this game, they tried to give DPS some kind of responsibility in instances.

I do see some long term problems.  Developing additional classes to higher levels is going to mean endless grinding of dungeons, fates and leves.  Quests are pretty much gone if you quested through your main.  Leves are limited per day and dungeon queues can be pretty long so leveling additional classes could end being chasing fates all day.

I see the queues for Trials getting even longer than they already are as more and more people make their way through their storylines.  There will be no reason for anybody who has gone through the regular trials to ever do them again, so people coming in later in the game could find it next to impossible to get groups for them.  People have brought up that it's good to make people group in order to advance through the storyline, but if queues for the trials are longer than a person has to play in a sitting, they won't be able to go anywhere.  Especially for Summoners whose class quests are tied to the trials as well.

As for the questing in the game, I'd say it was so-so.  A lot of times I felt less like an adventurer and more like glorified delivery boy. ( ie. bring this letter to this person and then bring it to someone else, or the go get this from a merchant and bring it back)  Geez, it's an online game.  Haven't they heard of e-mail and Amazon.com?  ;)

To me, the heavy reliance of instant-death mechanics in instances shows a lack of imagination by developers, and does nothing to build group dynamics, and frankly does just the opposite.  When developing dungeons, I always thought it was the cheap and easy way out.  Most of the instances when one person goes down the whole group is SOL for the boss, trial, etc.  Does it show great skill to avoid all the death mechanics?  Not really.  A lot of times it amounts to simply luck.  I would much rather have mechanics that test the skill of players to think of abilities (maybe some not so used) to mitigate or avoid some damage and to work together to achieve victory than mechanics which amount to oops I should've gone left instead of right.

Overall, it's a solid game, but in the long run, I see it keeping big Final Fantasy fans, but not much else.

• RdeleoRdeleo Member Posts: 2
    And yet still MMORPG hasn't change the score... update it!
  • s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Definitely excited for this, have just been waiting for the server and launch  problems to settle.