Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

So I'm 50. Gear treadmill, no thanks.

13

Comments


  • Originally posted by Tsumoro

    Originally posted by amber-r

    Originally posted by ckeeton999 I doubt it'll go f2p . It's a really good game
    Implying all the other games that went free to play were not good games?  Good has nothing to do with it.
    They won't make FF14 go F2P ever at all. Final Fantasy 11 is still going strong with a subscription so the chances of this one going F2P are slim to next to none. 

     


    FFXI was a unique game and still got population in 2013. Sorry but FFXIV is just an another WoW clone with worse combat and there is no pvp at the moment. So...

  • SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

     


    Originally posted by Tsumoro

    Originally posted by amber-r

    Originally posted by ckeeton999 I doubt it'll go f2p . It's a really good game
    Implying all the other games that went free to play were not good games?  Good has nothing to do with it.
    They won't make FF14 go F2P ever at all. Final Fantasy 11 is still going strong with a subscription so the chances of this one going F2P are slim to next to none. 

     

     


     

    FFXI was a unique game and still got population in 2013. Sorry but FFXIV is just an another WoW clone with worse combat and there is no pvp at the moment. So...

    Have you even played FFXIV?  It's not a WoW clone and it has better combat than WoW and FFXI combined.  It's faster paced, smoother and has more dynamic elements to it.  The PvP in FFXI sucks and is rarely played by the majority anyway.

    image
  • muchavezmuchavez asdf, VAPosts: 200Member
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Originally posted by Swids2010
    You should really stop playing MMORPG's if you don't like gear treadmill

    We don't take kindly to logic & common sense 'round these here parts son!

    Because all MMOS are about gear treadmill right?

    Anything that benefits your character is "gear".

    What games would you use as an example that don't make you grind for something?

     All games have grind however there is an important aspect you and many people in this thread are missing.

    There are treadmill games and non treadmill games.  There is grind in both however there is a specific difference.

    In treadmill games, you grind gear so you can grind for more gear.  There is no other endgame, if you aren't grinding for gear, there is nothing else to do. 

    These types of games suck.

    In non treadmill games there is still grind however the grind is used to supplement a greater goal of the game.  Probably the best specific example are territory control games, some are better than others but just to list some examples off the top of my head.  EVE, GW2, Planetside2, Perfect word

    Yes there is grind, however you are grinding so you can get more powerful and help your alliance take territory and win a global war.

    Another example on the more PvE side would be how about building your a guild town with your guild mates?  Or maybe competing in PvP arena battles?  There are plenty of endgame options that allow for replay value and give a purpose to the grind.

    I have not played FFXIV so I don't know much about it but it seems as if the OP was stating that there is nothing to do other than dungeon grind for gear.

    If you were stating that the only thing to do endgame in mmo's is grind then you are wrong. (And thank god you don't create games :) )

  • echolynfanecholynfan Lancaster, PAPosts: 681Member
    Originally posted by SNAFUdamus

    It was worth the $29 I payed in the store. I played to 50, and had fun. But really it is just a shallow MMO. And crafting? Common on, whos life is boring enough for them to sit there and become a level 50 miner? For what? To what end?

     

    $29 for a couple weeks of play, tis the norm with MMOs these days. This one actually was at least priced right. I had a hankering to play a BARD so I tried it. I didn't like it. It is no bard either I might add, its just a crappy archer with a few songs that really don't do a dam thing.

     

    Also all you guys that say I am "bitching" are misreading it. I am simply stating facts, facts tend to come across as bitching when you want to deny the facts.

    The same kind of person that thinks someone who rushed to 50 and then said there's nothing left to do is boring.

    Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

  • JuaksJuaks Cocoa, FLPosts: 274Member

    Took you 50 levels realize this game is a theme park and consist in gear grind progression?

    PvP has never been a serious feature in FF games. You should have known that. It's all about the story, sorry if you didn't like it but plenty of people enjoy it and think is fantastic.

    Next content patch in November will add some pvp, housing, raiding and yes, more hard dungeons to grind.

    It looks like you should go play a sand box or maybe MMORPG's are not your thing anymore.

    Anyone thinking or desiring this game going F2P is being delusional not only because FFXI reference but because Yoshi has been very clear about it.

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    `
  • TorkazTorkaz Kenosha, AKPosts: 91Member Uncommon
    The game is a money pit.  When FFXIV first came out, they took a bunch of peoples money.  Now its "reborn" cause it was complete crap the first time, now people pay for it AGAIN.  This company is all about taking peoples money.  Simple as that.  (Sure they gave you the game for free if you bought it before but that was a long time ago and some people cannot find their old accounts etc.) 
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,451Member Uncommon

    The only thing i can say is Square Enix although showing us a lot of copy ideas from other games,they will  deliver more content that is not the same as other games.

    This is still exactly like a brand new game even through it is not brand new,so give Square time and you will see more to do than other games.

    Where i question gamer's is i hear certain types of complaints that may or may not be warranted  ,however they are not going to get any different in any other game,so why the griping?I could see if you are playing a game like Wow or Eve that has been around 5-8 years and still see nothing but more maps or more gear or more ships,that is shallow on actual content but FFXIV is only a few weeks old.

    So many have been blinded by Wow,that one dimensional game play,following the paint by numbers questing then end game instancing or pvp.If people would have played vanilla FFXI they would understand how much content Square makes all into PVE.

    I think the point if if you can find a game that does content "NOT mini games" then i say go for it,but i have played 90% of the games and i have yet to see that game full of content,aside from FFXI.You know what 99% of the gamer's do with all that content in FFXI?They don't use it,they still play it like Wow,so i think we have to blame the gamer's not the developer.

    When i hear "What do i do know"i feel those gamer's miss the whole point of gaming.That question is ALWAYS related to what do i do now at max level.The POINT to gaming ,is to find  a game that you enjoy the combat and the character class design.Where or when or how that combat takes place should not matter just so long you are having fun with your character.This is NOT a race track where your goal is to hit the finish line,there is no finish line,you are suppose to be playing to just login and have fun.

     

     


    Samoan Diamond

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    The game is a money pit.  When FFXIV first came out, they took a bunch of peoples money.  Now its "reborn" cause it was complete crap the first time, now people pay for it AGAIN.  This company is all about taking peoples money.  Simple as that.  (Sure they gave you the game for free if you bought it before but that was a long time ago and some people cannot find their old accounts etc.) 

    Now that's just trollin.

  • moguy2moguy2 Saint Peters, MOPosts: 337Member
    Its 5 oclock some where.
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,247Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by moguy2
    Its 5 oclock some where.

    Its 3:07 pm here close enough.

  • VondrexVondrex Irving, TXPosts: 13Member Uncommon
    I enjoy gear treadmills but, this game is boring to me. I really want to like it but having a hard time.
  • echolynfanecholynfan Lancaster, PAPosts: 681Member
    Originally posted by Wizardry

    The only thing i can say is Square Enix although showing us a lot of copy ideas from other games,they will  deliver more content that is not the same as other games.

    This is still exactly like a brand new game even through it is not brand new,so give Square time and you will see more to do than other games.

    Where i question gamer's is i hear certain types of complaints that may or may not be warranted  ,however they are not going to get any different in any other game,so why the griping?I could see if you are playing a game like Wow or Eve that has been around 5-8 years and still see nothing but more maps or more gear or more ships,that is shallow on actual content but FFXIV is only a few weeks old.

    So many have been blinded by Wow,that one dimensional game play,following the paint by numbers questing then end game instancing or pvp.If people would have played vanilla FFXI they would understand how much content Square makes all into PVE.

    I think the point if if you can find a game that does content "NOT mini games" then i say go for it,but i have played 90% of the games and i have yet to see that game full of content,aside from FFXI.You know what 99% of the gamer's do with all that content in FFXI?They don't use it,they still play it like Wow,so i think we have to blame the gamer's not the developer.

    When i hear "What do i do know"i feel those gamer's miss the whole point of gaming.That question is ALWAYS related to what do i do now at max level.The POINT to gaming ,is to find  a game that you enjoy the combat and the character class design.Where or when or how that combat takes place should not matter just so long you are having fun with your character.This is NOT a race track where your goal is to hit the finish line,there is no finish line,you are suppose to be playing to just login and have fun.

     

     

    This exactly - good post +1

    Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

  • BlazefireBlazefire Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 34Member

    To everyone already complaining about being 50 and bored.... I have a bit of advice... next time why don't you take your time and try to enjoy the content... have ya ever heard about foreplay in the bedroom? It makes it a lot better when you take it slow.... instead of ram bammin' it and being over in 2 minutes top.

    This idea can transfer over to MMO's.... stop and smell the roses next time. What is the rush?? I mean seriously you guys sprint to the finish line in a mad dash like a rabid dog. I have a word for everyone that plays this way... locusts. You guys come into a new MMO and swarm it, consuming every bit of content in under a month... and then you fiendishly drool at the mouth crying for more... More... MORE!!!

    Did you even read any of the story? I think it has been pretty cool so far... I have been playing since early release and my max level is still only 30, so I KNOW you guys that are already 50 have been playing WAY too much, and going WAY too fast... and before you begin in on how I must suck.... don't even bother.... I have been playing MMO's since the beginning, and maybe that's why I know better at this point.

    Oh well... maybe next time, right? The only bit of advice I can give you at this point is wipe the drool from your mouth, step outside and get some fresh air... take a shower... and try to take it a bit slower with the next MMO that releases.

     

  • TarandTarand BergenPosts: 5Member

    I`m just curious, bear with me please my MMo experience started with wow :P

     

    What was endgame in those fantastic old MMOs like SWG, UO and EQ1?

  • muffins89muffins89 Yakima, WAPosts: 1,306Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tarand

    I`m just curious, bear with me please my MMo experience started with wow :P

     

    What was endgame in those fantastic old MMOs like SWG, UO and EQ1?

    the speed of the treadmill was set to 3.  now developers set it to 8.

    I think the prostitute mod corrupted your game files man. -elhefen

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tarand

    I`m just curious, bear with me please my MMo experience started with wow :P

     

    What was endgame in those fantastic old MMOs like SWG, UO and EQ1?

    Only what you made out of it.

  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon

    Yeah screw gear treadmills, I want my gear all handed to me so I run out of content to do and quit the game instantly for it!

     

    Right OP? That what you want? Even though gear has only a small you want it removed so you can breeze through the game,call it easy and that it has no content and move on? Just figuring thats what you want so you can complain about that and how the game is too easy instead.

  • amber-ramber-r londonPosts: 323Member

    I'm kinda fascinated what will happen when this game does go free to play, I wonder if the fans will carry on playing or if they will quit over it.  Will be interesting to watch.  I personally can see it going free to play pretty quick, I appreciate this is not even imaginable for many of the games fans for some reason though.

     

    I've seen similar things with fans of other games but never as strong as many here seem to be feeling it.  My feeling is they will simply accept it and indeed put a positive spin on it when it does happen honestly.  They can seeminly put a positive spin on just about anything they do with this game, or try to.

  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx California, WAPosts: 1,985Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by ckeeton999
    Do you think rift and swtor were good games?

    Rift was a decent game. And guess what? If did decently.(Until Storm Legion)  SWTOR was a bad game and guess what? It did badly. This game is better than Rift. I'll leave it at that.

    Better is subjective and i am glad we don't share the same point of view. Even at release Rift had lot more content and that is what matters. Content is the king something that is severely lacking in FFXIV. And if you think players are going to stick around with promises of something coming up in future while opening their wallets for SE you are mistaken.

    FFXIV reminds me of similar problems that SWTOR had.... content lite with very weak end game as a result they lost way too many players. History is going to repeat itself and prove once again why releasing P2P MMOS with such weak end game and light content is a big mistake. Players do not tolerate this anymore.

    And no, one does not need a crystal ball to see this coming. FFXIV isn't even half of the game RIFT was at release. 

    I will leave it at that.

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by ckeeton999
    Do you think rift and swtor were good games?

    Rift was a decent game. And guess what? If did decently.(Until Storm Legion)  SWTOR was a bad game and guess what? It did badly. This game is better than Rift. I'll leave it at that.

    Better is subjective and i am glad we don't share the same point of view. Even at release Rift had lot more content and that is what matters. Content is the king something that is severely lacking in FFXIV. And if you think players are going to stick around with promises of something coming up in future while opening their wallets for SE you are mistaken.

    FFXIV reminds me of similar problems that SWTOR had.... content lite with very weak end game as a result they lost way too many players. History is going to repeat itself and prove once again why releasing P2P MMOS with such weak end game and light content is a big mistake. Players do not tolerate this anymore.

    And no, one does not need a crystal ball to see this coming. FFXIV isn't even half of the game RIFT was at release. 

    I will leave it at that.

    I am still at a loss as to where you guys come from when you say there is no content.

    What level did you stop the main story quests?

    What level did you stop your main class/job quests?

    What level did you stop crafting?

    What level did you stop gathering?

    What rank are you with your GC?

    What level did you stop doing Guildhests?

    How many Guildleve allowences do you have currently?

    What level did you stop doing the side quests?

    How many dungeons do you have yet to complete?

     

    I haven't even touched on endgame yet. I started this game in BP4 with an Arc. Got to 20 and didn't like it, So I tried a Glad. Same thing, got to 20 and didn't like it. Now I am level 30 with my Archer and leveling Pug on the side, I have most of the trade crafts to between 20-25. Since I leveled crafting to support the classes and started over, I hit most of them.

    Fact is, Now that I am 30, I have spend my share of time in the Fates loop, but it's not very long before I have to drop out and take care of some of my other business. (see above) One of the biggest shames would be to sit in the FATE loop at the lowest rank for the GC and be wasting all those seals.

     

  • echolynfanecholynfan Lancaster, PAPosts: 681Member
    Originally posted by amber-r

    I'm kinda fascinated what will happen when this game does go free to play, I wonder if the fans will carry on playing or if they will quit over it.  Will be interesting to watch.  I personally can see it going free to play pretty quick, I appreciate this is not even imaginable for many of the games fans for some reason though.

     

    I've seen similar things with fans of other games but never as strong as many here seem to be feeling it.  My feeling is they will simply accept it and indeed put a positive spin on it when it does happen honestly.  They can seeminly put a positive spin on just about anything they do with this game, or try to.

    That's because the game is outstanding and some of the comments made about the game are misleading IMO.

    Oh...and don't play the lottery.

    Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

  • echolynfanecholynfan Lancaster, PAPosts: 681Member
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by ckeeton999
    Do you think rift and swtor were good games?

    Rift was a decent game. And guess what? If did decently.(Until Storm Legion)  SWTOR was a bad game and guess what? It did badly. This game is better than Rift. I'll leave it at that.

    Better is subjective and i am glad we don't share the same point of view. Even at release Rift had lot more content and that is what matters. Content is the king something that is severely lacking in FFXIV. And if you think players are going to stick around with promises of something coming up in future while opening their wallets for SE you are mistaken.

    FFXIV reminds me of similar problems that SWTOR had.... content lite with very weak end game as a result they lost way too many players. History is going to repeat itself and prove once again why releasing P2P MMOS with such weak end game and light content is a big mistake. Players do not tolerate this anymore.

    And no, one does not need a crystal ball to see this coming. FFXIV isn't even half of the game RIFT was at release. 

    I will leave it at that.

    I played Rift and you HAVE to be kidding. Rift is a good game but FF ARR is MUCH better. Story is better...performance is better...combat is better..crafting is WAY better.

    SWTOR doesn't even begin to touch this game and I also played that - as well as being a big Star Wars fan and ex-SWG player and I couldn't stomach it.

    I will leave it at that.

    Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

  • echolynfanecholynfan Lancaster, PAPosts: 681Member
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by ckeeton999
    Do you think rift and swtor were good games?

    Rift was a decent game. And guess what? If did decently.(Until Storm Legion)  SWTOR was a bad game and guess what? It did badly. This game is better than Rift. I'll leave it at that.

    Better is subjective and i am glad we don't share the same point of view. Even at release Rift had lot more content and that is what matters. Content is the king something that is severely lacking in FFXIV. And if you think players are going to stick around with promises of something coming up in future while opening their wallets for SE you are mistaken.

    FFXIV reminds me of similar problems that SWTOR had.... content lite with very weak end game as a result they lost way too many players. History is going to repeat itself and prove once again why releasing P2P MMOS with such weak end game and light content is a big mistake. Players do not tolerate this anymore.

    And no, one does not need a crystal ball to see this coming. FFXIV isn't even half of the game RIFT was at release. 

    I will leave it at that.

    I am still at a loss as to where you guys come from when you say there is no content.

    What level did you stop the main story quests?

    What level did you stop your main class/job quests?

    What level did you stop crafting?

    What level did you stop gathering?

    What rank are you with your GC?

    What level did you stop doing Guildhests?

    How many Guildleve allowences do you have currently?

    What level did you stop doing the side quests?

    How many dungeons do you have yet to complete?

     

    I haven't even touched on endgame yet. I started this game in BP4 with an Arc. Got to 20 and didn't like it, So I tried a Glad. Same thing, got to 20 and didn't like it. Now I am level 30 with my Archer and leveling Pug on the side, I have most of the trade crafts to between 20-25. Since I leveled crafting to support the classes and started over, I hit most of them.

    Fact is, Now that I am 30, I have spend my share of time in the Fates loop, but it's not very long before I have to drop out and take care of some of my other business. (see above) One of the biggest shames would be to sit in the FATE loop at the lowest rank for the GC and be wasting all those seals.

     

    I'm right where you are in game...almost exactly...even down to the crafting professions :)

    Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

  • tkoreapertkoreaper Castroville, TXPosts: 401Member Common

    To the OP, if you're going to see games in that way then it's pointless to even bother. Rather than seeing it as a gear treadmill and thinking to yourself "I'm gearing up only to be able to gear up some more", you should see it as working towards new experiences. The game changes the further you go and doesn't remain the same, but you seem to think it does. Gear is pretty much just a status symbol and the key to going further into the game, not just something you work to replace.

     

    As a matter of fact, if you're going to look at things the way you are, why don't you just go commit suicide or something... I mean, you're gonna die anyway so why not save yourself the time and trouble. In all seriousness though, if you try to find things negative about something then that's all you're going to get. Instead ask yourself, am I enjoying what is in front of me (regardless if it is pointless or not), if the answer is yes then the game is doing what it should be doing... Entertaining you.

This discussion has been closed.