Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm 50. Gear treadmill, no thanks.

Comments

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    The game is a money pit.  When FFXIV first came out, they took a bunch of peoples money.  Now its "reborn" cause it was complete crap the first time, now people pay for it AGAIN.  This company is all about taking peoples money.  Simple as that.  (Sure they gave you the game for free if you bought it before but that was a long time ago and some people cannot find their old accounts etc.) 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The only thing i can say is Square Enix although showing us a lot of copy ideas from other games,they will  deliver more content that is not the same as other games.

This is still exactly like a brand new game even through it is not brand new,so give Square time and you will see more to do than other games.

Where i question gamer's is i hear certain types of complaints that may or may not be warranted  ,however they are not going to get any different in any other game,so why the griping?I could see if you are playing a game like Wow or Eve that has been around 5-8 years and still see nothing but more maps or more gear or more ships,that is shallow on actual content but FFXIV is only a few weeks old.

So many have been blinded by Wow,that one dimensional game play,following the paint by numbers questing then end game instancing or pvp.If people would have played vanilla FFXI they would understand how much content Square makes all into PVE.

I think the point if if you can find a game that does content "NOT mini games" then i say go for it,but i have played 90% of the games and i have yet to see that game full of content,aside from FFXI.You know what 99% of the gamer's do with all that content in FFXI?They don't use it,they still play it like Wow,so i think we have to blame the gamer's not the developer.

When i hear "What do i do know"i feel those gamer's miss the whole point of gaming.That question is ALWAYS related to what do i do now at max level.The POINT to gaming ,is to find  a game that you enjoy the combat and the character class design.Where or when or how that combat takes place should not matter just so long you are having fun with your character.This is NOT a race track where your goal is to hit the finish line,there is no finish line,you are suppose to be playing to just login and have fun.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    The game is a money pit.  When FFXIV first came out, they took a bunch of peoples money.  Now its "reborn" cause it was complete crap the first time, now people pay for it AGAIN.  This company is all about taking peoples money.  Simple as that.  (Sure they gave you the game for free if you bought it before but that was a long time ago and some people cannot find their old accounts etc.) 

Now that's just trollin.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Its 5 oclock some where.
  • VondrexVondrex Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I enjoy gear treadmills but, this game is boring to me. I really want to like it but having a hard time.
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Wizardry

The only thing i can say is Square Enix although showing us a lot of copy ideas from other games,they will  deliver more content that is not the same as other games.

This is still exactly like a brand new game even through it is not brand new,so give Square time and you will see more to do than other games.

Where i question gamer's is i hear certain types of complaints that may or may not be warranted  ,however they are not going to get any different in any other game,so why the griping?I could see if you are playing a game like Wow or Eve that has been around 5-8 years and still see nothing but more maps or more gear or more ships,that is shallow on actual content but FFXIV is only a few weeks old.

So many have been blinded by Wow,that one dimensional game play,following the paint by numbers questing then end game instancing or pvp.If people would have played vanilla FFXI they would understand how much content Square makes all into PVE.

I think the point if if you can find a game that does content "NOT mini games" then i say go for it,but i have played 90% of the games and i have yet to see that game full of content,aside from FFXI.You know what 99% of the gamer's do with all that content in FFXI?They don't use it,they still play it like Wow,so i think we have to blame the gamer's not the developer.

When i hear "What do i do know"i feel those gamer's miss the whole point of gaming.That question is ALWAYS related to what do i do now at max level.The POINT to gaming ,is to find  a game that you enjoy the combat and the character class design.Where or when or how that combat takes place should not matter just so long you are having fun with your character.This is NOT a race track where your goal is to hit the finish line,there is no finish line,you are suppose to be playing to just login and have fun.

This exactly - good post +1

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• BlazefireBlazefire Member UncommonPosts: 44

To everyone already complaining about being 50 and bored.... I have a bit of advice... next time why don't you take your time and try to enjoy the content... have ya ever heard about foreplay in the bedroom? It makes it a lot better when you take it slow.... instead of ram bammin' it and being over in 2 minutes top.

This idea can transfer over to MMO's.... stop and smell the roses next time. What is the rush?? I mean seriously you guys sprint to the finish line in a mad dash like a rabid dog. I have a word for everyone that plays this way... locusts. You guys come into a new MMO and swarm it, consuming every bit of content in under a month... and then you fiendishly drool at the mouth crying for more... More... MORE!!!

Did you even read any of the story? I think it has been pretty cool so far... I have been playing since early release and my max level is still only 30, so I KNOW you guys that are already 50 have been playing WAY too much, and going WAY too fast... and before you begin in on how I must suck.... don't even bother.... I have been playing MMO's since the beginning, and maybe that's why I know better at this point.

Oh well... maybe next time, right? The only bit of advice I can give you at this point is wipe the drool from your mouth, step outside and get some fresh air... take a shower... and try to take it a bit slower with the next MMO that releases.

• TarandTarand Member Posts: 5

I`m just curious, bear with me please my MMo experience started with wow :P

What was endgame in those fantastic old MMOs like SWG, UO and EQ1?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Tarand

the speed of the treadmill was set to 3.  now developers set it to 8.

Originally posted by Tarand

Only what you made out of it.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yeah screw gear treadmills, I want my gear all handed to me so I run out of content to do and quit the game instantly for it!

Right OP? That what you want? Even though gear has only a small you want it removed so you can breeze through the game,call it easy and that it has no content and move on? Just figuring thats what you want so you can complain about that and how the game is too easy instead.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I'm kinda fascinated what will happen when this game does go free to play, I wonder if the fans will carry on playing or if they will quit over it.  Will be interesting to watch.  I personally can see it going free to play pretty quick, I appreciate this is not even imaginable for many of the games fans for some reason though.

I've seen similar things with fans of other games but never as strong as many here seem to be feeling it.  My feeling is they will simply accept it and indeed put a positive spin on it when it does happen honestly.  They can seeminly put a positive spin on just about anything they do with this game, or try to.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by ckeeton999
    Do you think rift and swtor were good games?

Rift was a decent game. And guess what? If did decently.(Until Storm Legion)  SWTOR was a bad game and guess what? It did badly. This game is better than Rift. I'll leave it at that.

Better is subjective and i am glad we don't share the same point of view. Even at release Rift had lot more content and that is what matters. Content is the king something that is severely lacking in FFXIV. And if you think players are going to stick around with promises of something coming up in future while opening their wallets for SE you are mistaken.

FFXIV reminds me of similar problems that SWTOR had.... content lite with very weak end game as a result they lost way too many players. History is going to repeat itself and prove once again why releasing P2P MMOS with such weak end game and light content is a big mistake. Players do not tolerate this anymore.

And no, one does not need a crystal ball to see this coming. FFXIV isn't even half of the game RIFT was at release. 

I will leave it at that.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Rift was a decent game. And guess what? If did decently.(Until Storm Legion)  SWTOR was a bad game and guess what? It did badly. This game is better than Rift. I'll leave it at that.

Better is subjective and i am glad we don't share the same point of view. Even at release Rift had lot more content and that is what matters. Content is the king something that is severely lacking in FFXIV. And if you think players are going to stick around with promises of something coming up in future while opening their wallets for SE you are mistaken.

FFXIV reminds me of similar problems that SWTOR had.... content lite with very weak end game as a result they lost way too many players. History is going to repeat itself and prove once again why releasing P2P MMOS with such weak end game and light content is a big mistake. Players do not tolerate this anymore.

And no, one does not need a crystal ball to see this coming. FFXIV isn't even half of the game RIFT was at release. 

I will leave it at that.

I am still at a loss as to where you guys come from when you say there is no content.

What level did you stop the main story quests?

What level did you stop your main class/job quests?

What level did you stop crafting?

What level did you stop gathering?

What rank are you with your GC?

What level did you stop doing Guildhests?

How many Guildleve allowences do you have currently?

What level did you stop doing the side quests?

How many dungeons do you have yet to complete?

I haven't even touched on endgame yet. I started this game in BP4 with an Arc. Got to 20 and didn't like it, So I tried a Glad. Same thing, got to 20 and didn't like it. Now I am level 30 with my Archer and leveling Pug on the side, I have most of the trade crafts to between 20-25. Since I leveled crafting to support the classes and started over, I hit most of them.

Fact is, Now that I am 30, I have spend my share of time in the Fates loop, but it's not very long before I have to drop out and take care of some of my other business. (see above) One of the biggest shames would be to sit in the FATE loop at the lowest rank for the GC and be wasting all those seals.

Originally posted by amber-r

I'm kinda fascinated what will happen when this game does go free to play, I wonder if the fans will carry on playing or if they will quit over it.  Will be interesting to watch.  I personally can see it going free to play pretty quick, I appreciate this is not even imaginable for many of the games fans for some reason though.

I've seen similar things with fans of other games but never as strong as many here seem to be feeling it.  My feeling is they will simply accept it and indeed put a positive spin on it when it does happen honestly.  They can seeminly put a positive spin on just about anything they do with this game, or try to.

That's because the game is outstanding and some of the comments made about the game are misleading IMO.

Oh...and don't play the lottery.

I will leave it at that.

I played Rift and you HAVE to be kidding. Rift is a good game but FF ARR is MUCH better. Story is better...performance is better...combat is better..crafting is WAY better.

SWTOR doesn't even begin to touch this game and I also played that - as well as being a big Star Wars fan and ex-SWG player and I couldn't stomach it.

I will leave it at that.

I will leave it at that.

I am still at a loss as to where you guys come from when you say there is no content.

What level did you stop the main story quests?

What level did you stop your main class/job quests?

What level did you stop crafting?

What level did you stop gathering?

What rank are you with your GC?

What level did you stop doing Guildhests?

How many Guildleve allowences do you have currently?

What level did you stop doing the side quests?

How many dungeons do you have yet to complete?

I haven't even touched on endgame yet. I started this game in BP4 with an Arc. Got to 20 and didn't like it, So I tried a Glad. Same thing, got to 20 and didn't like it. Now I am level 30 with my Archer and leveling Pug on the side, I have most of the trade crafts to between 20-25. Since I leveled crafting to support the classes and started over, I hit most of them.

Fact is, Now that I am 30, I have spend my share of time in the Fates loop, but it's not very long before I have to drop out and take care of some of my other business. (see above) One of the biggest shames would be to sit in the FATE loop at the lowest rank for the GC and be wasting all those seals.

I'm right where you are in game...almost exactly...even down to the crafting professions :)

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

To the OP, if you're going to see games in that way then it's pointless to even bother. Rather than seeing it as a gear treadmill and thinking to yourself "I'm gearing up only to be able to gear up some more", you should see it as working towards new experiences. The game changes the further you go and doesn't remain the same, but you seem to think it does. Gear is pretty much just a status symbol and the key to going further into the game, not just something you work to replace.

As a matter of fact, if you're going to look at things the way you are, why don't you just go commit suicide or something... I mean, you're gonna die anyway so why not save yourself the time and trouble. In all seriousness though, if you try to find things negative about something then that's all you're going to get. Instead ask yourself, am I enjoying what is in front of me (regardless if it is pointless or not), if the answer is yes then the game is doing what it should be doing... Entertaining you.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

Congrats on realizing they have a system in place to ensure "content burners" can't/won't burn through this game. :-)

Case in point, I love the fact you are leaving.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    So it took you less than 30 days to max level. Good to know because I doubt I'll be buying it now.

I will leave it at that.

I have always been a big fan of Rift (Look at my post history if you don't believe me), but you're not right in your assumptions. Shall we compare games?

Zones: 

Rift has 1 linear way to level per faction. It does split up a tiny bit at higher levels, but not so much.

FFXIV has 3 starting zones and a lot more zones per level than Rift has.

Content:

Rift had 10 dungeons at launch.

FFXIV has 13+ 4man dungeons (Haven't opened all of them up yet)

Rift had 1 Raid at launch

FFXIV has 5+ 8-man instances (Again, haven't opened all of them up yet)

Rift has PvP

FFXIV doesn't yet

That's about it for content. I'm not sure how you think Rift has more.

To sum everything up, it's clear that you have no idea about FFXIV, but you claim you do.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by Swids2010
    You should really stop playing MMORPG's if you don't like gear treadmill

GW1 had no gear treadmill, even through all of its expansions.

The superhero games like City of Heroes and Champions Online didn't have gear treadmills until after several expansions.

This might be hard for you to believe, but it is possible to have a successful MMO without a gear treadmill.

• NessinNessin Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    I have always been a big fan of Rift (Look at my post history if you don't believe me), but you're not right in your assumptions. Shall we compare games?

Zones: 

Rift has 1 linear way to level per faction. It does split up a tiny bit at higher levels, but not so much.

FFXIV has 3 starting zones and a lot more zones per level than Rift has.

Content:

Rift had 10 dungeons at launch.

FFXIV has 13+ 4man dungeons (Haven't opened all of them up yet)

Rift had 1 Raid at launch

FFXIV has 5+ 8-man instances (Again, haven't opened all of them up yet)

Rift has PvP

FFXIV doesn't yet

That's about it for content. I'm not sure how you think Rift has more.

To sum everything up, it's clear that you have no idea about FFXIV, but you claim you do.

One, you appear to have forgotten that FFXIV is a three year old game.

Two, FFXIV "3" starting areas quickly connect into one linear path going forward at level 15.

Originally posted by nennafir

The superhero games like City of Heroes and Champions Online didn't have gear treadmills until after several expansions.

This might be hard for you to believe, but it is possible to have a successful MMO without a gear treadmill.

I really don't see why it matters. Just because there's no restriction in place to mimick progression doesn't mean it's all about the gear treadmill.

Answer this for me... What was the purpose for running content in those games? Is that honestly a better reason then the games you're attacking? Why can't these other "gear treadmill" games share the same purpose. Just because content gives me better gear doesn't mean I'm doing it for that reason alone... I'm doing it for the experience and entertainment because, guess what, that's what games are DESIGNED TO DO.

Originally posted by nennafir

GW1 by ANET's own claim was not an MMORPG  and CoX is not a good example of a successful MMORPG. And even beyond the fact that CoX was shut down, the reason they adopted a gear treadmil was because the basis of their game was level to 50 and start over. There was no endgame gear grind because there was no endgame. Champions Online was simply not very successful.

So, I am also finding it hard to believe.

This discussion has been closed.