Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm 50. Gear treadmill, no thanks.

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Originally posted by Swids2010
    You should really stop playing MMORPG's if you don't like gear treadmill

We don't take kindly to logic & common sense 'round these here parts son!

Because all MMOS are about gear treadmill right?

Anything that benefits your character is "gear".

What games would you use as an example that don't make you grind for something?

Gear acquistion starts from lvl 1 in MMOS...agreed.

I am talking about the gentleman who suggests that you should stop playign MMOS if you hate gear grind. You put a very clever spin on the situation but you know that what i am referring to is the classic WOW hamster wheel gear grind at end game. And no that is not the only way to acquire gear and no that is not the only end game in every MMORPG.

To say 'please stop playing MMO because you hate gear grind' is just wrong. Knowing very well that OP is talking about the FFXIV end game gear grind.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by echolynfan

I agree and would like to know also...

Acquiring gear for your character is a far cry from grinding for gear as is done in a traditional theme park MMORPG.  You'd have to play some of the games such as I mentioned above to understand the difference.

I will give you one example.  Currently playing on a freeshard of DAOC, and got my character to level 50, and put on him an effective, but affordable template.  Haven't changed his gear in over 2 months of heavy end game play, and likely won't ever have to.

Sure, I can spend tons of game gold to tweak his template to the point of perfection, but there really is no need to so I probably won't bother.  I'll only likely replace some of them with better when they start to wear out. (which happens in DAOC, gear loses durability to the point of being useless)

So yes, gear is part of the game, but no one really thinks of it as a gear grind. 

Now realm points and gold, those are what we grind on in DAOC, but not necessarily because we need better gear. (in fact, most of that extra cash is needed for housing, respecs of your character's class and realm abilities and what not, but not really gear)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    No the point with gw2 was once you reached top end, you didn't get a total scale up with tier x, so eventually once the population normalises everyone will have the same gear stat level. scaling up was a way of allowing those under 80 to still play and be reasonably competitive. As has been said time and time and time again in many forums, a treadmill is only a treadmill if you are continually forced to ride it. As a concrete example I play gw2 on and off and have a few ascendant gear that I got 6 months ago and I do very well it is fun. The last Time I entered wow I was absolutely destroyed in pvp and almost useless - i was punished for not keeping on the treadmill.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Originally posted by Mortemia
    Luckily a friend tossed his account to me since he got through the content pretty quickly and I gave the game few evenings. I'm just glad I didn't buy it myself yet and got a free run. Otherwise it would have been same disappointment as with Guild Wars 2. :)

This game is miles better than GW2 ! I would much rather play this without PvP then that joke of a game. But yeah it's definitely not a long term mmo for me.

Common sense I know, but it's worth mentioning that not all MMOs can cater to all people. Those games are usually huge fails. This game is for the PvE crowd, there aren't many very good PvP mmos currently IMO, but FF fans love FFXIV and I've enjoyed it for what it's worth. I don't think they should just slap on crap to make more people happy though. I get really tired of everyone screaming that every MMO should be different so it suits their needs. 

Just like GW2 doesn't need to suit your needs? A lot of us like it just as it is.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Apparently, you hate everything lol. SO...good luck with that.

At least it's safe and indoor work; if you plan to be an Online Prophet of Doom, embrace the defeatism whole hawg.

The offering plate doesn't cover the cost of all those new games you have to keep buying, though.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SilenttankSilenttank Member Posts: 18
    I'm just gonna assume you don't play with a group of friends and do stuff together, of course you're gonna get bored with an MMO playing by yourself. Besides, right now it's about making your character the strongest it can be, but when they release the PvP and player housing and whatever they wanna add it'll make the game more rich with content and what it was designed to be. Don't look at an MMO and judge it's longevity based on it's original content.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Hmm, how about Pac Man? There's no gear in that game. I've seen games that have claimed to not be about gear and ended up being precisely that. One specifically stated as such was GW2 which claimed it's WvWvW environment would give all players an even playing ground based simply off the fact that if you are at least 32 and have all your ability slots available, you will have a fighting chance. I can tell you right now, my Warrior at 32 in WvWvW was no where near as easy to triumph in battle as he was at 80 with top end gear. So yes, gear treadmills exist in EVERY MMO, even if you are led to believe it doesn't.

This is about where your post lost all credibility. I don't even think it needs an explanation.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    All gameplay can be considered a 'grind' of we look at it from this perspective. when the word 'grind' becomes a negative is where you are forced to grind to avoid falling behind some curve.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    I feel the same way,i love the game but with no pvp it gets stale really fast unfortunatly.
  • amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by ckeeton999
    I doubt it'll go f2p . It's a really good game

Implying all the other games that went free to play were not good games?  Good has nothing to do with it.

• ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    Do you think rift and swtor were good games?
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by amber-r
    I doubt it'll go f2p . It's a really good game

Implying all the other games that went free to play were not good games?  Good has nothing to do with it.

They won't make FF14 go F2P ever at all. Final Fantasy 11 is still going strong with a subscription so the chances of this one going F2P are slim to next to none. 

Do you think rift and swtor were good games?

Rift was a decent game. And guess what? If did decently.(Until Storm Legion)  SWTOR was a bad game and guess what? It did badly. This game is better than Rift. I'll leave it at that.

• JasdemiJasdemi Member UncommonPosts: 149
    PvP will never work with 500ms built-in delays. 
  • SNAFUdamusSNAFUdamus Member UncommonPosts: 59

It was worth the $29 I payed in the store. I played to 50, and had fun. But really it is just a shallow MMO. And crafting? Common on, whos life is boring enough for them to sit there and become a level 50 miner? For what? To what end?

$29 for a couple weeks of play, tis the norm with MMOs these days. This one actually was at least priced right. I had a hankering to play a BARD so I tried it. I didn't like it. It is no bard either I might add, its just a crappy archer with a few songs that really don't do a dam thing.

Also all you guys that say I am "bitching" are misreading it. I am simply stating facts, facts tend to come across as bitching when you want to deny the facts.

• obsolete5obsolete5 Member Posts: 82

i decided i want you now i know

i need

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by SNAFUdamus

So I got my Bard to 50 (best DPS in the game atm). Started working on lancer for the extra skills and got thinking. What do I do now. Well there are the raids and the endgame dungeons, frankly the story is just a super cheesy  version of star wars.

There isn't PvP so what am I striving for? Better gear, for what? So I can repeat the same dungeons over and over and over again just so I can have shinier gear? Just to be able to repeat the same dungeons again?

Its a pretty game, but other than that frankly its just a mix between SWToR and WoW, with some extra cheese on top.

Didn't even need the whole free 30 days to know this game will go nowhere.

I'm curious what you were expecting when you hit 50.  Did you think there was going to be some kind of new end game activities you haven't seen before?  I'm also pretty sure you could have found out what type of end game would be waiting for you before you even bought the game.  

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Your complaint just amounts to wanting PvP in the game.  Every MMORPG end game is like an endless treadmill of raiding and PvP.  Both are nothing but time killers designed to keep you playing long enough for new content to be added.  What else did you expect?  This is the reality of MMORPG's.  I'm surprised you didn't realize this sooner.

• Originally posted by Tsumoro

Originally posted by ckeeton999 I doubt it'll go f2p . It's a really good game
    They won't make FF14 go F2P ever at all. Final Fantasy 11 is still going strong with a subscription so the chances of this one going F2P are slim to next to none. 

FFXI was a unique game and still got population in 2013. Sorry but FFXIV is just an another WoW clone with worse combat and there is no pvp at the moment. So...

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

Originally posted by Tsumoro

Originally posted by ckeeton999 I doubt it'll go f2p . It's a really good game

FFXI was a unique game and still got population in 2013. Sorry but FFXIV is just an another WoW clone with worse combat and there is no pvp at the moment. So...

Have you even played FFXIV?  It's not a WoW clone and it has better combat than WoW and FFXI combined.  It's faster paced, smoother and has more dynamic elements to it.  The PvP in FFXI sucks and is rarely played by the majority anyway.

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

All games have grind however there is an important aspect you and many people in this thread are missing.

There are treadmill games and non treadmill games.  There is grind in both however there is a specific difference.

In treadmill games, you grind gear so you can grind for more gear.  There is no other endgame, if you aren't grinding for gear, there is nothing else to do. 

These types of games suck.

In non treadmill games there is still grind however the grind is used to supplement a greater goal of the game.  Probably the best specific example are territory control games, some are better than others but just to list some examples off the top of my head.  EVE, GW2, Planetside2, Perfect word

Yes there is grind, however you are grinding so you can get more powerful and help your alliance take territory and win a global war.

Another example on the more PvE side would be how about building your a guild town with your guild mates?  Or maybe competing in PvP arena battles?  There are plenty of endgame options that allow for replay value and give a purpose to the grind.

I have not played FFXIV so I don't know much about it but it seems as if the OP was stating that there is nothing to do other than dungeon grind for gear.

If you were stating that the only thing to do endgame in mmo's is grind then you are wrong. (And thank god you don't create games :) )

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by SNAFUdamus

It was worth the $29 I payed in the store. I played to 50, and had fun. But really it is just a shallow MMO. And crafting? Common on, whos life is boring enough for them to sit there and become a level 50 miner? For what? To what end?

$29 for a couple weeks of play, tis the norm with MMOs these days. This one actually was at least priced right. I had a hankering to play a BARD so I tried it. I didn't like it. It is no bard either I might add, its just a crappy archer with a few songs that really don't do a dam thing.

Also all you guys that say I am "bitching" are misreading it. I am simply stating facts, facts tend to come across as bitching when you want to deny the facts.

The same kind of person that thinks someone who rushed to 50 and then said there's nothing left to do is boring.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Took you 50 levels realize this game is a theme park and consist in gear grind progression?

PvP has never been a serious feature in FF games. You should have known that. It's all about the story, sorry if you didn't like it but plenty of people enjoy it and think is fantastic.

Next content patch in November will add some pvp, housing, raiding and yes, more hard dungeons to grind.

It looks like you should go play a sand box or maybe MMORPG's are not your thing anymore.

Anyone thinking or desiring this game going F2P is being delusional not only because FFXI reference but because Yoshi has been very clear about it.

`
This discussion has been closed.