Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm 50. Gear treadmill, no thanks.

SNAFUdamusSNAFUdamus Member UncommonPosts: 59

So I got my Bard to 50 (best DPS in the game atm). Started working on lancer for the extra skills and got thinking. What do I do now. Well there are the raids and the endgame dungeons, frankly the story is just a super cheesy  version of star wars.

There isn't PvP so what am I striving for? Better gear, for what? So I can repeat the same dungeons over and over and over again just so I can have shinier gear? Just to be able to repeat the same dungeons again?

Its a pretty game, but other than that frankly its just a mix between SWToR and WoW, with some extra cheese on top.

Didn't even need the whole free 30 days to know this game will go nowhere.

Comments

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Maybe you should read up on the game, instead of just trying to play it like WoW.
  • funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by SNAFUdamus

So I got my Bard to 50 (best DPS in the game atm). Started working on lancer for the extra skills and got thinking. What do I do now. Well there are the raids and the endgame dungeons, frankly the story is just a super cheesy  version of star wars.

There isn't PvP so what am I striving for? Better gear, for what? So I can repeat the same dungeons over and over and over again just so I can have shinier gear? Just to be able to repeat the same dungeons again?

Its a pretty game, but other than that frankly its just a mix between SWToR and WoW, with some extra cheese on top.

Wow. Thanks for letting me know. I was thinking of trying this game out but didnt see on their main website if there was any factions/sides to choose or pvp. Pvp is a must in MMORPG's.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So I got my Bard to 50 (best DPS in the game atm). Started working on lancer for the extra skills and got thinking. What do I do now. Well there are the raids and the endgame dungeons, frankly the story is just a super cheesy  version of star wars. There isn't PvP so what am I striving for? Better gear, for what? So I can repeat the same dungeons over and over and over again just so I can have shinier gear? Just to be able to repeat the same dungeons again? Its a pretty game, but other than that frankly its just a mix between SWToR and WoW, with some extra cheese on top. Didn't even need the whole free 30 days to know this game will go nowhere.

So I took a minute to look up your post history. I was curious which mmos you did like. Apparently, you hate everything lol. SO...good luck with that.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by funcon

Wow. Thanks for letting me know. I was thinking of trying this game out but didnt see on their main website if there was any factions/sides to choose or pvp. Pvp is a must in MMORPG's.

They are planning on adding PvP late this year/early next year called the Frontiers. I agree PvP is awesome and that's certainly what I prefer, but many folks do not, especially the FF crowd. Nothing wrong with it, they just like raiding for tomes for gear as endgame. So be it lol. Doesn't mean you or I need to like it.

I am planning on running the rest of my free trial out, then I will check out the game again once Frontier lands are in.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

So I got my Bard to 50 (best DPS in the game atm). Started working on lancer for the extra skills and got thinking. What do I do now. Well there are the raids and the endgame dungeons, frankly the story is just a super cheesy  version of star wars. There isn't PvP so what am I striving for? Better gear, for what? So I can repeat the same dungeons over and over and over again just so I can have shinier gear? Just to be able to repeat the same dungeons again? Its a pretty game, but other than that frankly its just a mix between SWToR and WoW, with some extra cheese on top. Didn't even need the whole free 30 days to know this game will go nowhere.
    first of all u played to 50 so u had to somewhat enjoy what u were doin to hit max lvl. second of all u just described every mmo ever. I mean what do u think end game is? get gear to better run the same old stuff till they release new. its hilarious how people r unnin straight to 50 then complain. the game just released. my toon is doin everything. every class, every job. im not gonna rush to the end only to start posting on forums how I played my "free 30" and done cus theres nothing to do. take ur time. let the game come to u. make love to the game, don't ram it to death. u will wear her out then what? :)
  • Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    You should really stop playing MMORPG's if you don't like gear treadmill

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

what did u expect? That's exactly what they had planned, and what the fans expected.

I didn't buy ff14 because i knew exactly that's what the game would end up being. Sorry for your loss. Perhaps you should do your research better next time and not just buy every game that gets hyped up so we do not have to come to forums and read constant whining.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Swids2010

We don't take kindly to logic & common sense 'round these here parts son!

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Luckily a friend tossed his account to me since he got through the content pretty quickly and I gave the game few evenings. I'm just glad I didn't buy it myself yet and got a free run. Otherwise it would have been same disappointment as with Guild Wars 2. :)
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by Mortemia
    Luckily a friend tossed his account to me since he got through the content pretty quickly and I gave the game few evenings. I'm just glad I didn't buy it myself yet and got a free run. Otherwise it would have been same disappointment as with Guild Wars 2. :)

This game is miles better than GW2 ! I would much rather play this without PvP then that joke of a game. But yeah it's definitely not a long term mmo for me.

Common sense I know, but it's worth mentioning that not all MMOs can cater to all people. Those games are usually huge fails. This game is for the PvE crowd, there aren't many very good PvP mmos currently IMO, but FF fans love FFXIV and I've enjoyed it for what it's worth. I don't think they should just slap on crap to make more people happy though. I get really tired of everyone screaming that every MMO should be different so it suits their needs. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by silverreign

first of all u played to 50 so u had to somewhat enjoy what u were doin to hit max lvl. second of all u just described every mmo ever. I mean what do u think end game is? get gear to better run the same old stuff till they release new. its hilarious how people r unnin straight to 50 then complain. the game just released. my toon is doin everything. every class, every job. im not gonna rush to the end only to start posting on forums how I played my "free 30" and done cus theres nothing to do. take ur time. let the game come to u. make love to the game, don't ram it to death. u will wear her out then what? :)

What's sad is that you (and most other players) think this is the only form of end game a MMORPG can have.  What you are describing is the modern day theme park, but if you had ever played games such as UO,  DAOC, SWG, AC1, Lineage 1 & 2, or EVE you'd soon learn there are other (and IMO better) ways to design MMORPGs.

But this title clearly advertised they were making it in the mold of the traditional theme park following back through WOW and even EQ1, so there should have been no surprise on the part of the OP in discovering it.  If you don't care for this form of gear grind, raiding end game /progression model you clearly should be playing something else.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

The problem is there is a whole generation of kids who don't really want to play an MMO but somehow convinced themselves they do...

A mix of other games in the genre such as GW2 and WoW?

Who would of thunk it!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Those were my exact thoughts when I started playing WoW.......Its nice to have an occasional gear upgrade while having fun exploring, its another to run the same dungeons dozens of times hoping for that 1% drop so you can do it again after the next expansion, and it sure isn't worth paying an extra 15 bucks a month.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by silverreign

What's sad is that you (and most other players) think this is the only form of end game a MMORPG can have.  What you are describing is the modern day theme park, but if you had ever played games such as UO,  DAOC, SWG, AC1, Lineage 1 & 2, or EVE you'd soon learn there are other (and IMO better) ways to design MMORPGs.

But this title clearly advertised they were making it in the mold of the traditional theme park following back through WOW and even EQ1, so there should have been no surprise on the part of the OP in discovering it.  If you don't care for this form of gear grind, raiding end game /progression model you clearly should be playing something else.

FFXIV 1.0 flopped so bad that they jsut couldn't take any gambles on this one...It had to be a wow clone as much as possible to recover the losses...As sad as that is, that is still the thinking in the industry.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Maybe you should read up on the game, instead of just trying to play it like WoW.

Why not? WoW is pretty much the manual for every game released after 2010.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by grapevine

And how does one plays it then?

If you are not into crafting and gathering there is nothing for you to do. Hit 50 stare at the hamster wheel gear grind..shake your head and quit.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    The gear treadmill was a given from the get go. It's a matter of time before it goes F2P. BEtter alternatives: Age of Conan, Rift, hell even SWTOR since it was improved lately. I am sticking with Skyrim in the meantime.

gameplay > graphics

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Because all MMOS are about gear treadmill right?
  • Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I would advise you to read up on a game before downloading or buying it next time mate. It plays and feels like WoW because its core mechanics and structure is based upon it according to the man who made it, Yoshi who believes WoW is a great example of how to build a succesfull MMO. Only time will tell if hes right.
  • ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    I doubt it'll go f2p . It's a really good game
  • ckeeton999ckeeton999 Member CommonPosts: 53
    Plus what this will have that wow or others don't have is player housing in the next major patch update
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Foomerang

So I took a minute to look up your post history. I was curious which mmos you did like. Apparently, you hate everything lol. SO...good luck with that.

I'm starting to think that all of these forum bitchers hate everything - nothing will make them happy. They DO like to bitch though...maybe that makes 'em happy :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Anything that benefits your character is "gear".

What games would you use as an example that don't make you grind for something?

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Anything that benefits your character is "gear".

What games would you use as an example that don't make you grind for something?

I agree and would like to know also...

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by echolynfan
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I'm starting to think that all of these forum bitchers hate everything - nothing will make them happy. They DO like to bitch though...maybe that makes 'em happy :)

That should include those who bitch about those who bitch, right?

Right?

This discussion has been closed.