Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whoever wants to try this game

KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80

This is my first impression of playing first 2 hours of this game.

Quest system : identical to original wow, but slightly less kind, quest line doesn't match map flow very well, so it's geographically more confusing than wow, which is not a good thing for theme park game. (this is theme park game.) 

Story telling : identical to SWTOR, plus excessive loading is annoying.

Class system : similar to games like Eden Eternal. Nothing new.

Graphic : is ok, not great.

Why this game is so popular now?

I have no idea. But my guess is that,

1. it is attractive to Final Fantasy fans. I haven't played any of FF series (I tried, but it wasn't really my thing.), so I guess I can be objective or even critical to FF environment.

2. end game contents 'may' be cool. But it is a long way for a gamer who's worn down by similar games.

So, conclusion is this.

Do not expect anything new. There is no new contents for new players. If you are looking for something new, you will be disappointed.

But if you are just looking for something to spend your  time mindlessly, 29$ isn't really a loss for this content imo.

If you like Japanese style fantasy world, you may even love this game. (I don't like them.)

Personally, I am not sure if I can keep leveling my char to max level. I was already bored after 2 hours.

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    The class system, or Job system was developed by Final Fantasy many years ago.  You crediting it to Eden Eternal is insulting.  You haven't played final fantasy games, therefore you would never have known that.  Stop making snap judgements when you know nothing.
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    OP, glad you really put in some time before posting a review...........2 whole hours, where did you find the time?
  • StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I agree with all of the above ( Except everything the op said). If you arn't going to level, at least try the crafting, its SO refreshing from every other crafting system I have tried so far, And is very fun.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    It's mostly shills trying to hype the game that already failed horribly once.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by KoreanSoWhat
    I just came to see how dumb this article is going to be, I read 10 lines and gave up. Total waste of my time.

Figured it was appropriate.

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    The class system, or Job system was developed by Final Fantasy many years ago.  You crediting it to Eden Eternal is insulting.  You haven't played final fantasy games, therefore you would never have known that.  Stop making snap judgements when you know nothing.

Who invented what first is not my interest at all. My point is that there is nothing new or interesting, or market-competitive in that system. So, FF invented it? I can't give less damn.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I'm sorry, he never said EE did it first. He simply said it is LIKE EE. It gives people without FF experience a frame of reference if they are familiar with EE.  Take a breath. He wasn't insulting your precious IP.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Funny that you bring up Eden Eternal, where do you think they got their class system idea from? Final Fantasy, lol. Final Fantasy is renowned for having a "one character can be all classes" system in several installations of the FF series. FF III already had that in 1990. (Although who knows where FF got their inspiration from, I do now know what preceeded FF III XD)

Originally posted by marinrider

I'm sorry, he never said EE did it first. He simply said it is LIKE EE. It gives people without FF experience a frame of reference if they are familiar with EE.  Take a breath. He wasn't insulting your precious IP.

Well the vitriol from you was completely unnecessary.  The context of his post is uninformed, consisted of two hours of gameplay, and was generally insulting the intelligence of the average human.  The problem with his statement about the class system lay with the fact that nothing about it will be "new" or "different" because it is iconic to the series and there is no reason to change it.  The comparison to EE was completely unnecessary and sounded like the rest of his post: uninformed poison.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Funny that you bring up Eden Eternal, where do you think they got their class system idea from? Final Fantasy, lol. Final Fantasy is renowned for having a "one character can be all classes" system in several installations of the FF series. FF III already had that in 1990. (Although who knows where FF got their inspiration from, I do now know what preceeded FF III XD)

So it is a very old system. Again, I don't give a slightest damn about who did what first. What I care is who IS doing great right now.  

By the way, this post is not for you FF fanboys, as subject clearly indicates. This post is for people who is considering to try this game or not. You guys already like this 'game'? then go waste your time in this game or whatever. 

And I just spent another 30 min in FF XIV and have one more to add, which is,

Traditional targeting system : which is not a bad thing, nothing against it. But isn't a great thing either. Especially when this game already has so many not-new-at-all characteristics, no one can say this typical targeting system is helping in any way.

So far, my 2.5 hours of FF XIV experience was like this :

Run to '!' mark to grab quest > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > do quest stuff > Run to NPC > > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue 

>Stuck in unskippable pointless storyline video(?) for 1~2 minutes > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > Finish a quest > Rinse and repeat.

Reminds me of SWTOR days. What happened to SWTOR by the way? 

Anyway, I will give a few more shot to this game, but countless previous experiences are telling me not to.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

This is my first impression of playing first 2 hours of this game.

I love how you can say an entire game is boring after only playing 2 hours. Its like saying "I know how a novel is going to end after reading the first 10 pages". You know only the starting zone of the game during the first 2 hours. How about leaving it and seeing the rest of the game before you make any snap judgements of the game.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

Most people who skip dialogue don't care for dialogue in 99% of the games they play (from experience both personally and externally)

I find it a pointless aspect to complain about.

Everything else is pretty funny so I'm glad I got to read it. Keep posting.

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

So it is a very old system. Again, I don't give a slightest damn about who did what first. What I care is who IS doing great right now.  

By the way, this post is not for you FF fanboys, as subject clearly indicates. This post is for people who is considering to try this game or not. You guys already like this 'game'? then go waste your time in this game or whatever. 

And I just spent another 30 min in FF XIV and have one more to add, which is,

Traditional targeting system : which is not a bad thing, nothing against it. But isn't a great thing either. Especially when this game already has so many not-new-at-all characteristics, no one can say this typical targeting system is helping in any way.

So far, my 2.5 hours of FF XIV experience was like this :

Run to '!' mark to grab quest > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > do quest stuff > Run to NPC > > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue 

>Stuck in unskippable pointless storyline video(?) for 1~2 minutes > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > skip boring dialogue > Finish a quest > Rinse and repeat.

Reminds me of SWTOR days. What happened to SWTOR by the way? 

Anyway, I will give a few more shot to this game, but countless previous experiences are telling me not to.

You might want to rest for a bit before doing so. 

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

On a positive note, if you enjoy a solid story, then i suggest you give it a try, since this thread is for people that are looking to try it.  The story is interwoven into the game through both quests, 4 man instances, and 8 man instances.  The culmination of your entire adventure actually feels like an adventure when it is over.  So many great themes and shouts to former FF games along with some great storytelling.  That alone is worth the price of the box.  

There are some negatives.  Fate grinding for the rush crowd has tainted some people's view of the game and that is legitimate.  40-50 slows down pretty hard and can be quite a chore.  There are other shortcomings that others can probably point out, but in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives.  

• dannycpwdannycpw Member UncommonPosts: 3
    The moment u type skipped the dialogue proves that you are nothing more than a bias person. You wanted to give review and played for like 3 hours max? And top of it, the way you been describing it proves that you are NOT EVEN interested in the game in the first place. So instead of trying to give off your ridicule 'review' here, it would be better for you to keep your opinion to yourself and play back your fan game SWTOR.

On a positive note, if you enjoy a solid story, then i suggest you give it a try, since this thread is for people that are looking to try it.  The story is interwoven into the game through both quests, 4 man instances, and 8 man instances.  The culmination of your entire adventure actually feels like an adventure when it is over.  So many great themes and shouts to former FF games along with some great storytelling.  That alone is worth the price of the box.  

There are some negatives.  Fate grinding for the rush crowd has tainted some people's view of the game and that is legitimate.  40-50 slows down pretty hard and can be quite a chore.  There are other shortcomings that others can probably point out, but in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives.  

I really hope you are right. I am looking forward to play dungeons soon and that's one thing that keeps me going. Hopefully I can respect more of this game after I experience dungeons, and maybe change overall opinion about this game. 

About the stories, good stories are always welcome. It is not about  the story itself, it is about how it is spoken. I seriously think SWTOR type of story telling (Maybe people will argue it is also from FF, I don't know about that.) isn't really universally enjoyable system for most of MMO population. It is exclusively certain RPG fans' taste, not even whole RPG fans'. Stories must be told more naturally, one good example will be Skyrim's way of story telling (not saying it is perfect, it has it's own defect too.) Or, the amount of story telling contents must be reduced and only very important events must be done as story telling, or it will just bore people off like SWTOR did. But it is bearable for me so far.(it is strictly my opinion but I know I represent A LOT of people in this matter.)  Story telling system isn't really the big matter here anyway.

Originally posted by dannycpw
    The moment u type skipped the dialogue proves that you are nothing more than a bias person. You wanted to give review and played for like 3 hours max? And top of it, the way you been describing it proves that you are NOT EVEN interested in the game in the first place. So instead of trying to give off your ridicule 'review' here, it would be better for you to keep your opinion to yourself and play back your fan game SWTOR.

You didn't even read my stuff properly. I don't even like SWTOR. I hate that game. It is one of the biggest failure of all game history. I mentioned SWTOR as a VERY BAD example of fail MMORPG. You are not very intelligent, are you?

Skipping dialogue isn't really my fault. It's not even about story itself. It's the fault of how the system is telling the story. It is a VERY BAD way of telling story. If not, I'd listen and enjoy the story like I do in other games that does story telling in a GOOD way, not in a VERY BAD way.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I'll just play 5.4 instead. Sadly, it's more fun imo.

I really hope you are right. I am looking forward to play dungeons soon and that's one thing that keeps me going. Hopefully I can respect more of this game after I experience dungeons, and maybe change overall opinion about this game. 

About the stories, good stories are always welcome. It is not about  the story itself, it is about how it is spoken. I seriously think SWTOR type of story telling (Maybe people will argue it is also from FF, I don't know about that.) isn't really universally enjoyable system for most of MMO population. It is exclusively certain RPG fans' taste, not even whole RPG fans'. Stories must be told more naturally, one good example will be Skyrim's way of story telling (not saying it is perfect, it has it's own defect too.) Or, the amount of story telling contents must be reduced and only very important events must be done as story telling, or it will just bore people off like SWTOR did. But it is bearable for me so far.(it is strictly my opinion but I know I represent A LOT of people in this matter.)  Story telling system isn't really the big matter here anyway.

As far as story is concerned, i have good news: it is nothing like SWTOR.  There are no choices in dialogue, it simply tells the story.  And it is masterfully told.  You may not like other things about the game, and that is fair, but stick it out and give it a legit shot.  I think you'll be pleased.  The dungeons after 30 can be quite difficult, especially the last two primal encounters.  Garuda still makes me freak out.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Who invented what first is not my interest at all. My point is that there is nothing new or interesting, or market-competitive in that system. So, FF invented it? I can't give less damn.

Why would you post a review about ANYTHING with only 2 hours of experience? Makes no sense..

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Do not expect anything new. There is no new contents for new players. If you are looking for something new, you will be disappointed.

Same can go for any other RPG out there.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Aori

The only breadcrumb quests are the story mode. You played a whole 2 hours, while I will admit the introduction isn't the best draw for a lot of players. The time isn't a lot for you to be telling people what to expect.

The dungeons are not mindless, the crafting isn't mindless and at the least the story mode chain in their majority are very nice if you enjoy any form of plot in your games.

The loading is an honest gripe, however I don't think its terrible.

I think the graphics are beautifully done. Now you might not like them but I would have to say that is a preference issue and not a game issue.

You sound like you're just tired of theme park centric MMO's.

If  your MMORPG fails to make people want to play past 10 mins let alone 2 hours, you failed in your mission.

A lot of people are saying the same song and dance with this one.  It pretty much is what it is, I give it 6 months before we can officially put a lid on it.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• degandersondeganderson Member Posts: 6

The OP's 5th word is "impression" He not once mentions the word review. He gives a first impression of a game to inform others who haven't seen it yet. The hate towards him that follows in this thread is quite bizarre.

Frankly; two hours of playing a game or reading 10 pages of a book are perfectly fine to get a good impression of what is to come. You can see if you like the style and get a taste of the overall quality of things to come. If a restaurant serves a lousy starter i'm not going to hang around waiting for the main course. Every writing course will tell you that if you screw up the introduction? don't bother with the rest because there's no one left to read it. Or as Robert McKee put it: "Within the first pages of a screenplay a reader can judge the relative skill of the writer"

The op did exactly that, if you had a different first impression then write your own thread about it so people can get a different outlook.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

To make a list of the kind of players that may like this game:

*People who like dungeons.

*People who like multiclassing.

*People who like elaborate crafting.

*People who like to play the market.

*People who like raiding.

*People who like decent stories in their mmorpgs.

*People who like beautiful world and good music in their  mmorpgs.

*People who dislike to action-based combat and prefer a slower pace, more like in the middle between real-time and turn-based.

*People who hate item malls.

Edit:

Also of course:

* People who like Final Fantasy.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Aori

To make a list of the kind of players that may like this game:

*People who like dungeons.

*People who like multiclassing.

*People who like elaborate crafting.

*People who like to play the market.

*People who like raiding.

*People who like decent stories in their mmorpgs.

*People who like beautiful world and good music in their  mmorpgs.

*People who dislike to action-based combat and prefer a slower pace, more like in the middle between real-time and turn-based.

*People who hate item malls.

Edit:

Also of course:

* People who like Final Fantasy.

Now now, FFXIV only has boring quests, mediocre graphics and a neverending loadstory.

You must be playing something else.

Please give an example of a good quest, and an mmo with better graphics.