Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Never played MMO before. What should I start with?

2»

Comments

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass New York, NYPosts: 548Member

I would recommend three options, that you can try for free and if you like it you can pay for.  This way you don't waste your money if you don't like it.

• WoW
    • Rift 
    • SWTOR

I personally would recommend WoW or SWTOR, but if you don't want to pay a subscription for WoW play Rift.  SWTOR and WoW are easy to get into and are newbie friendly.

If you place important on leveling and story play SWTOR.  If you like a lot of end game content and want to see many players while leveling play WoW (cross realm helped a lot with lower levels).  If you don't care about story or leveling/quests and place important on combat I would try Tera, but it won't have as many players as WoW or SWTOR.

• Try Guild Wars 2. It is very friendly with new players and very easy to learn. You're not an old school mmorpg player. So you will absolutely love it.

• scarlettxscarlettx Phoenix, AZPosts: 30Member
    Originally posted by ragz45

Rather than jumping into an older game like EvE & World of Warcraft where 99% of the people playing have been playing for years, and have their characters set, you will be playing catch up the entire time.  Your best bet is to find a newly released game to jump in on where you can ride the wave of new players through out the game, which makes things much easier.  If you like fantasy settings FFXIV:ARR is at the perfect time for a brand new player to jump in.  

The only stipulation I suggest is finding an amazing guild that is willing to be patient with a newbie and walk them through the learning process.  

That's a seriously great point, Ragz. I leveled solo in WoW until level 60-ish because I couldn't find a newbie-friendly, anti-drama guild on my server that was genuinely active. Later, I switched to a different server with a group of friends who agreed to all level new toons together, and it was an entirely different experience - but I was still the lone newb who had yet to ever level cap or experience the end-game. So getting in on a new game at/near launch, or at least within the first year or so that it's been released, is a great idea for new players.

• evilpreyevilprey CalafatPosts: 67Member Uncommon
    Guild Wars 2
  • TrykenTryken Ultima Online Correspondent Orlando, FLPosts: 63Member
    I'd say based off your lack of experience Guild Wars 2. It's fun, has good solo content, good group content. While I'd be more hesitant suggesting it to the MMO veteran who's been playing since UO or EQ1, I think for the new player it's a great place to enjoy fully a first MMORPG experience.
  • xyagentguyxyagentguy Seattle, WAPosts: 78Member

I would strongly discourage WoW or any of the Everquest games or "older" mmorpg's.  Only for one reason.  You will be utterly overwhelmed by the MASSIVE amounts of content those games have churned out over the many years.  The level cap is now giant and there are SO many added tools and features and alternative ways to advance, etc.  It's wonderful stuff, but you sort of have to experience it organically I feel.  It's REALLY tough for a new player to enter one of the long-established mmorpg's.

I also vote Guild Wars 2 because after you buy it, it's free to play and you have very little to lose.  It is, without question, one of the most beautiful and polished mmorpg's ever launched.  It is like playing in a painting, I love it.  However, it isn't without it's faults and a close number two would be Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn.  This game JUST launched, it's not very expensive, and the vast majority of non-hardcore players will be in the same boat, starting from the beginning.  It's a REALLY nice experience to play an mmorpg from the beginning and see all the changes and advancements as they happen, organically.  Thought FF14 will have a monthly fee after the first free month. 

So I vote either Guild Wars 2 or Final Fantasy 14 and am VEHEMENTLY opposed to picking up WoW as your first mmorpg.  Hope that helped! 

• ArthasmArthasm LoznicaPosts: 754Member Uncommon
    I would recomended Wow, but since you new to MMOs, I suggest to avoid Wow, community is a way to retarded to accept newbies. Try Rift or any other suggested game. If you're going to try Rift, suggest to turn of 1-29lvl chat.
  • scarlettxscarlettx Phoenix, AZPosts: 30Member

Originally posted by xyagentguy

I would strongly discourage WoW or any of the Everquest games or "older" mmorpg's.  Only for one reason.  You will be utterly overwhelmed by the MASSIVE amounts of content those games have churned out over the many years.  The level cap is now giant and there are SO many added tools and features and alternative ways to advance, etc.  It's wonderful stuff, but you sort of have to experience it organically I feel.  It's REALLY tough for a new player to enter one of the long-established mmorpg's.

I also vote Guild Wars 2 because after you buy it, it's free to play and you have very little to lose.  It is, without question, one of the most beautiful and polished mmorpg's ever launched.  It is like playing in a painting, I love it.  However, it isn't without it's faults and a close number two would be Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn.  This game JUST launched, it's not very expensive, and the vast majority of non-hardcore players will be in the same boat, starting from the beginning.  It's a REALLY nice experience to play an mmorpg from the beginning and see all the changes and advancements as they happen, organically.  Thought FF14 will have a monthly fee after the first free month. 

So I vote either Guild Wars 2 or Final Fantasy 14 and am VEHEMENTLY opposed to picking up WoW as your first mmorpg.  Hope that helped! 

Originally posted by Arthasm

I would recomended Wow, but since you new to MMOs, I suggest to avoid Wow, community is a way to retarded to accept newbies. Try Rift or any other suggested game. If you're going to try Rift, suggest to turn of 1-29lvl chat.

You guys make awesome points. I've only ever played WoW myself, so I came to MMORPG specifically looking for another one to try, and hearing all these viewpoints is really awesome.

xyagentguy, I'm dying to try GW2 but I'm just holding off a few months till Xmas sales. (Dearly hoping GW2 goes on an Amazon gold box deal or similar.) Love how you described it, "like playing a painting". Hopefully my somewhat older PC meets all the system requirements - it's too good to pass up!

Arthasm, you're sadly on-point with regards to the community (such as it is) being somewhat anti-newbie. Good luck to anyone trying to level up as a 1st time tank or healer via LFG. Unless you pick up your skills remarkably quickly, you'll get inundated with frustrated veterans who are rolling new toons and have already run those dungeons dozens of times or more. I've read that the PUGs in WoW are amongst the worst in any MMO, and I believe it!

• ArthasmArthasm LoznicaPosts: 754Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by scarlettx

Arthasm, you're sadly on-point with regards to the community (such as it is) being somewhat anti-newbie. Good luck to anyone trying to level up as a 1st time tank or healer via LFG. Unless you pick up your skills remarkably quickly, you'll get inundated with frustrated veterans who are rolling new toons and have already run those dungeons dozens of times or more. I've read that the PUGs in WoW are amongst the worst in any MMO, and I believe it!

Nah, veteran (at least normal one) would help you and point at mistakes, if you made ones. The idiot would bash you, calling you noob, point at you for every wipe, without explanation what you did wrong. But, yes, some peop... idiots calling themselves veterans. I agree about PUGs, especially  those who are doing cata Heroic raids, case for those who study psychiatry, if you're to lazy to go to mental institution and write your phd, join heroic lvl 85 raid with lvl90 pugs and enjoy the insane show.

2»