Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What SWTOR could have looked like in Cryengine 3

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaFSd-ezQc&hd=1

looks very Coruscant-like to me, just much better.. and they haven´t even added NPCs yet

Comments

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    ya the sucky part, one of the reasons bioware went with that graphic style was to accomidate lower end systems :(
  • SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137
    And it still runs like garbage :(
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by zaylin
    ya the sucky part, one of the reasons bioware went with that graphic style was to accomidate lower end systems :(
    Originally posted by Sharkypal
    And it still runs like garbage :(

Too much outsourcing and reliance on incompetence to get everyone through the week .. week by week, no quality, just a paycheck for the devs.

I think the original idea was there .. keep the graphic level good or better, but keep it such that when presented in a MMO it won't bog down systems.   That part was fine.  Then the graphics engine devs came along and gave a horrible engine to poop on everyone elses hard work, then couldn't fix a damn thing because most of the team was layed off. (because EA see's present dollars, not future dollars.)

I think the musicians that worked on SWTOR should have been the highest paid on the team, personally... they came through when others did not.

I like the video, OP.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    That is Star Citizen, right?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by zaylin

Yes but the art style......is so timeless.

NOT.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

Yes, this is a pre-pre-alpha walkthrough to show fans some of the in-game art at this station.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I have a hard time believing the engine makes the game good or bad, as suggested by the OP.  The Hero engine could be just fine with more work.  I seem to remember reading about the version of Hero engine used by SWTOR being very incomplete, but they used it anyways. 
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Do you understand how games work at all, I do, I work with this stuff, certain engines are used for a reason one  is so others can play the game, low end etc, Cry Engine is also designed for NON MMO's , can it be used sure, so can The Unreal, but should they, no they really shouldn't...    SO picking the game engine  is very important, so many of you want great graphics, but yet most have no clue with that being said what can happen, this means all of you need to update more often and buy good PC's gamers would  be bitching look what happen with AOC, hardly anyone could run it because hardly anyone had the computer to, they had bug issues as well but aside from that most had to run on lower settings..

Do any of you understand, when designing MMO's you need to make low poly models?? Do you understand what that even is? Well research it, some games like Far Cry can be made like that because it isn't as big as an MMO, so stuff like this can be made, High poly models for characters are 100k-800k polys maybe more...

Low poly models 100-3k....  Alot needs to be faked with shaders using Normal maps, post processing effects, and so on, most of you really don't understand why they do what they do.  I didn't either until I went and got my degree so before you like to rip on a company understand how these things work...

If they would of used Cry Engine, most of you would of never been able to play the game period... And don't say you can play Far Cry either, that game is alot smaller then SWTOR .

Cry Engine, you can make MMO's , I have made smaller scale version of an MMO with it, but if I was a big company and making SWTOR, I would of picked Hero to, Hero doesn't decide  on how the end result  is either....

I can make minecraft style graphics in any game engine including Cry engine. 

PS: I have a pro  version to CRY Engine, Unity 4.0

I have used Unreal Engine, UDK, Torque, Unity, CRY 2 and 3, and many in house engines.. I have even used Hero, any company with half a brain would use Hero Engine. The tools out of the box are amazing to build a MMO, this is why Repopulation is using it. For this very reason I bet... Plus its cost effective, an MMO is a big gamble today...

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Yes, this is a pre-pre-alpha walkthrough to show fans some of the in-game art at this station.

Actually becoming more and more exciting about Star Citizen.

Thanks for the link OP.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Yes. It's from RobertsSpaceIndustries.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Game design, not graphics kept me from subbing past my free month.

Graphics are nice, but always a lower priority for me, not saying I want stick figures or something that looks like it was made at the same time pong was, but TOR would of been fine with me graphics wise if it had better design for my tastes.

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Do you understand how games work at all, I do, I work with this stuff, certain engines are used for a reason one  is so others can play the game, low end etc, Cry Engine is also designed for NON MMO's , can it be used sure, so can The Unreal, but should they, no they really shouldn't...    SO picking the game engine  is very important, so many of you want great graphics, but yet most have no clue with that being said what can happen, this means all of you need to update more often and buy good PC's gamers would  be bitching look what happen with AOC, hardly anyone could run it because hardly anyone had the computer to, they had bug issues as well but aside from that most had to run on lower settings..

Do any of you understand, when designing MMO's you need to make low poly models?? Do you understand what that even is? Well research it, some games like Far Cry can be made like that because it isn't as big as an MMO, so stuff like this can be made, High poly models for characters are 100k-800k polys maybe more...

Low poly models 100-3k....  Alot needs to be faked with shaders using Normal maps, post processing effects, and so on, most of you really don't understand why they do what they do.  I didn't either until I went and got my degree so before you like to rip on a company understand how these things work...

If they would of used Cry Engine, most of you would of never been able to play the game period... And don't say you can play Far Cry either, that game is alot smaller then SWTOR .

Cry Engine, you can make MMO's , I have made smaller scale version of an MMO with it, but if I was a big company and making SWTOR, I would of picked Hero to, Hero doesn't decide  on how the end result  is either....

I have used Unreal Engine, UDK, Torque, Unity, CRY 2 and 3, and many in house engines.. I have even used Hero, any company with half a brain would use Hero Engine. The tools out of the box are amazing to build a MMO, this is why Repopulation is using it. For this very reason I bet... Plus its cost effective, an MMO is a big gamble today...

You should try out Aion.  It uses Cry Engine.  The zones are about as big as SWTOR's "planets".  Zoning / teleporting takes only seconds, because of other technology to load only as you go / load only what needs to be seen when porting in .. the internal map expands out silently in the background while you play.

Funny thing is, that you have have hundreds of players in your view on Aion, all wearing different armor, all with unique character models (awesome character creater).  The game never even flinches .. but on the same machine SWTOR chokes, gags, and sputters when more than a dozen players show up.

I think you are confusing low definition models with cruddy graphics engine.  It's like having a $2000 stereo system in a car that barely runs.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Karteli

You should try out Aion.  It uses Cry Engine.  The zones are about as big as SWTOR's "planets".  Zoning / teleporting takes only seconds, because of other technology to load only as you go / load only what needs to be seen when porting in .. the internal map expands out silently in the background while you play.

Funny thing is, that you have have hundreds of players in your view on Aion, all wearing different armor, all with unique character models (awesome character creater).  The game never even flinches .. but on the same machine SWTOR chokes, gags, and sputters when more than a dozen players show up.

I think you are confusing low definition models with cruddy graphics engine.  It's like having a $2000 stereo system in a car that barely runs.

hmmmm I wasn't impressed with how Aion looked at all. Not only was I not impressed with how it looked, the game itself sucked and the PVE was the worst Ive ever seen next to Warhammer. Is that why you hate SWTOR, because you think Aion is the perfect model? LOL

There Is Always Hope!

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

please tell me they are going to fix the animations.  I haven't seening running that bad since Warhammer Online.

The world looks pretty but very generic sci fi.

Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Karteli

hmmmm I wasn't impressed with how Aion looked at all. Not only was I not impressed with how it looked, the game itself sucked and the PVE was the worst Ive ever seen next to Warhammer. Is that why you hate SWTOR, because you think Aion is the perfect model? LOL

Slap yourself for bringing gameplay into a graphical discussion =D

Aion had some technological marvels, as an MMORPG, using the Cry Engine.  If you can't see that, it's on you, not me or anyone else.

Add the Aion engine to SWTOR sci-fantasy, then add the story and cut-scenes, and all the features SWTOR offers, and that would have been one killer of an MMORPG.  Add huge planets in seamless worlds, and you would find players everywhere reaching sexual fulfillment while simply playing.  As an added bonus, it would be "easier" to add a day / night cycle ... chairs would be sittable .. and the game would support chat bubbles without devs dragging their feet, "dis shit too hard, say nobodies wants on forum and dey believe what we's say." (Who says Ogre's don't exist)

To that, the future of the Cry Engine should hopefully include seamless worlds, because while Aion was visually spectacular with high frame-rates, (and load times were nil), big continents will only make players happy with any game.

Sorry I touched on your sensitive SWTOR defense buttons =D

ps- I'm not a big fan of Warhammer either.  Bought, played, done.  Too many bugs - on my last day I submitted about 50 of them, one by one.  Another early release doomed to failure at the hands of EA...

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    While the aesthetics look nice, I was rather put off by the blatant copy of Coruscant. Hasn't Star Citizen hired any creative types with originality?  
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

Do you understand how games work at all, I do, I work with this stuff, certain engines are used for a reason one  is so others can play the game, low end etc, Cry Engine is also designed for NON MMO's , can it be used sure, so can The Unreal, but should they, no they really shouldn't...   

... lots of self-praise and unwarranted condescension here cut out...

With that post, you really have no business being so arrogant. Might want to get off that high-horse before you fall off and injure yourself.

Are you aware that there already have been MMORPGs made with Unreal 3, and that they look and run great on moderate hardware?

Are you aware that there already have been MMORPGs made with  Crytek technology, that run and look great on moderate hardware?

Yes, low-poly models are important in a 3D environment, but raw polygon count is not what decides the look of something. More polys can be used to create more rounded and less blocky silhouettes, but that's the extent of it. The real star of the show is the quality of the texture art and the shaders used.

Having a licensed copy of different game engines does not make you an authority on the subject any more than having a retail copy of Word makes you an expert on writing. Ironically, you can learn everything you need to know about working with 3D game technology - stuff that applies to all 3D engines and platforms - without spending a dime. It's all out there on the internet. If you want to spend some money, you can go to Amazon.com or your local Barnes & Noble and find books on the subject. It's not exactly esoteric knowledge obtained only by buying a game engine license.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by syntax42
    I have a hard time believing the engine makes the game good or bad, as suggested by the OP.  The Hero engine could be just fine with more work.  I seem to remember reading about the version of Hero engine used by SWTOR being very incomplete, but they used it anyways. 

From what I remember reading, they (Bioware) took an early version of the Hero engine to demo the Old Republic to EA..and then preceded to use it as it was , tinkered with the engine so much that at the end it hardly resembled the then completed Hero engine (the actual one,not the one Bioware used). There was a article written on the Hero engine's main site that explained it all, but no idea if it still is there.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by bobdole1979

please tell me they are going to fix the animations.  I haven't seening running that bad since Warhammer Online.

The world looks pretty but very generic sci fi.

You do know that this isn't even technically a pre alpha build right ? This is more or less  a demo video of on what you can expect, but by no means the final product.

• Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    Oh swtor, the game that could have been =(
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I would have settled for Bioware's Frostbyte engine instead of the Hero engine we got.
    Originally posted by orionblack
    Originally posted by syntax42

From what I remember reading, they (Bioware) took an early version of the Hero engine to demo the Old Republic to EA..and then preceded to use it as it was , tinkered with the engine so much that at the end it hardly resembled the then completed Hero engine (the actual one,not the one Bioware used). There was a article written on the Hero engine's main site that explained it all, but no idea if it still is there.

here:

HeroEngine Meets StarWars

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

It was essentially Hero's defense to EA telling SW fans that there wasn't much that could be done to improve the game, due to the Hero Engine limitations.  Hero has a business to protect too.  They had their story to tell (and inform the public that EA is full of shit).  EA's comments eventually collapsed upon themselves.

This goes back a couple years.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Watched the video in the OP.  Hopefully they add some life to that city  before beta, otherwise it will be EXACTLY like SWTOR's Coruscant.  ;)