Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why are zones so small in this game? (disappointed as an explorer)

2»

Comments

  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Posts: 981Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

    Even though i leveled to 50 on my lancer and saw every nook and corner, the explorer inside me was left unsatisfied and wanting more. The maps are too small and i feel claustrophobic in zones.

    At first when i heard about mounts being introduced in the game i thought great, i won't have to run around in huge world of final fantasy. But my chocobo was better served as my healing companion.

    I run everywhere on foot. Mount hardly makes a difference thanks to small maps. The pathing is designed very much like 1.0, linear paths, invisible walls which block you and won't let you jump off the ledge or small obstacles. Many times i felt i was playing WITCHER 2. 

    World is anything but open, npc are stuck to one spot with glue under their feet. There is no movement, no life in cities or in outposts. NPC's are just standing there waiting to hand you your next task. The only thing going on for it is the background music and sound effects but that can only go so far to give you sense of immersion when everything else is so static.

    Small zones devoid of any life... was this intentional? i discussed about this with my FC mates and they said it could be because SE wanted to maintain visual quality. But then i remembered TERA which looks as impressive and even more in some areas and yet have much bigger zones.

    So what could be the reason behind such small maps in FFXIV? was it really just about visual quality or this is all they could muster up in the time they had? anyone else who loves to explore completely disappointed by the size of the world in FFXIV?

     

    Disappointed as an explorer?  Really?   I'd be interested to know how this disappointment differs from any of your numerous prior posts in which you bash FF:ARR for any of a number of baseless claims.  I find it surprising that you are even playing the game, much less exploring in it given that by reading your prior posts anyone would come to the obvious conclusion that you simply hate the game.  In fact, I'd even go as far as to proclaim you the "Chairman Of the Negative Crew."  Posing as a "disappointed explorer" when the truth is that all you are trying to do is criticize the game is a bit low, don't you think? We aren't all as gullible as we may appear on these boards.  You seem obsessed.  What's your next thread going to be , "Disappointed by the lack of rest time given in Inns."  Countdown 3 ... 2 ... 1

     

  • QSatuQSatu WarsawPosts: 1,733Member Uncommon

    they had to remake the game in 2 years. This is one of the results of that. Making maps is time consuming.

     

  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx California, WAPosts: 1,985Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

    Even though i leveled to 50 on my lancer and saw every nook and corner, the explorer inside me was left unsatisfied and wanting more. The maps are too small and i feel claustrophobic in zones.

    At first when i heard about mounts being introduced in the game i thought great, i won't have to run around in huge world of final fantasy. But my chocobo was better served as my healing companion.

    I run everywhere on foot. Mount hardly makes a difference thanks to small maps. The pathing is designed very much like 1.0, linear paths, invisible walls which block you and won't let you jump off the ledge or small obstacles. Many times i felt i was playing WITCHER 2. 

    World is anything but open, npc are stuck to one spot with glue under their feet. There is no movement, no life in cities or in outposts. NPC's are just standing there waiting to hand you your next task. The only thing going on for it is the background music and sound effects but that can only go so far to give you sense of immersion when everything else is so static.

    Small zones devoid of any life... was this intentional? i discussed about this with my FC mates and they said it could be because SE wanted to maintain visual quality. But then i remembered TERA which looks as impressive and even more in some areas and yet have much bigger zones.

    So what could be the reason behind such small maps in FFXIV? was it really just about visual quality or this is all they could muster up in the time they had? anyone else who loves to explore completely disappointed by the size of the world in FFXIV?

     

    Disappointed as an explorer?  Really?   I'd be interested to know how this disappointment differs from any of your numerous prior posts in which you bash FF:ARR for any of a number of baseless claims.  I find it surprising that you are even playing the game, much less exploring in it given that by reading your prior posts anyone would come to the obvious conclusion that you simply hate the game.  In fact, I'd even go as far as to proclaim you the "Chairman Of the Negative Crew."  Posing as a "disappointed explorer" when the truth is that all you are trying to do is criticize the game is a bit low, don't you think? We aren't all as gullible as we may appear on these boards.  You seem obsessed.  What's your next thread going to be , "Disappointed by the lack of rest time given in Inns."  Countdown 3 ... 2 ... 1 

     

     

    I hit 50 a  while ago (that is how i made 1 to 50 lvling guide)  so this is my experince that i am sharing with people. Instead of attacking me why not stick to the topic? only because i made this topic today doesn't mean i had this revelation just a few hours ago while playing the game and logged off to rush to forums to make a topic about it.

    This is something that has bothered me from day one. And i have discussed it with my friends as well as FC members. But since you are keeping tabs on what i have been posting how come you didn't mention the part where i said that leveling is the best part of the game and i really enjoyed the class/job system? ofcourse not you won't mention that. And who are these 'we' and what baseless claims? please elaborate.

    Next time if you can not refrain from personal attacks i suggest ignore my posts. 

  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon
    Not being able to swim is really hindering on the limitations, though Yoshi-P said he would want content for when they implement swimming. This game is really weak on the exploration, but the zone designs is what keeps me impressed. I was really hoping there'd be alot more caves or buildings to delve in, but that's why I got GW2 for.
  • Hitman211Hitman211 bannedville, IDPosts: 52Member

    My theory on "WHY" has to do with three things.

    First of all the old open world game engine was horribly built, I think they scrapped it for good.  The game engine we are using now *feels* like the Sleeping Dogs game engine.  Benefits are that it runs great and issue free.  Problem is there seems to be a max size you can create any given area.

    Then there's the attention to detail. It is easier to make a more detailed and meaningful world when you have to deal with set maps instanced together like some form of load screen yarn.

    Finally there was the time aspect.  Game was completely remade into what you see today in a few years.  A very short time.

    So we have the swapping from a bad open world game engine to a good non open world engine...a lack of time, and the benefit of being able to make the areas more detailed in their craped schedule.

    Personally I always prefer the open world set up.  Im not going to hate a good game because its not open world.  I actually don't mind load screens all that much to be honest.  I think people make this a larger deal than it has to be.

    Some of the maps in this game are pretty large, others not so much.

    As far as future maps and future development they might go the AOC route and make transitioning between maps seem less like instancing and more like traveling through a narrow pass...and they might makes new areas more open...who knows.

    Fact of the matter is you can run everywhere in the world, you are going to want to use the teleport, favored destination, and recall system since its a big world despite instancing...and you are going to be running instanced dungeons for most of your game play unless you quit the first month having gotten to 50 and no interest in endgame.

    If open world is a deal breaker, skip this game though.

  • HusvikHusvik Somewhere, ONPosts: 440Member
    Listening to the Bombcast this week and they got into a wee rant about why do people always have to feel like every product should be specifically made for them?

    Something along those lines. Which yea, wtf don't like it, who cares? I don't like "fertilizer", anyone who listened to the cast will get that.
  • VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 2,576Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by khameleon
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    More than likely PS3 limitations.

    This is not true at all.

    This game was made for PC and then ported to the PS3 after. So they didn't limit the zones because of that at all. 

    Not true at all.

    They talked about making the game for both PC and PS3 already very early in the development. From the original FF XIV you could see that things like UI were designed to work for the consoles. It's not a PC game that later got a console version added, but a game that's been designed, built, and now also launched, for both PC and PS3.

  • XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,601Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by QSatu
    they had to remake the game in 2 years. This is one of the results of that. Making maps is time consuming. 
    Unfortunately the most likely answer will be the one ignored.


    They had to remake the entire game world.

  • JuaksJuaks Cocoa, FLPosts: 274Member
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by mithrillion
    Originally posted by DocBrody

    Sounds exactly like SWTOR..

     

    You really should try Age of Conan, none of these problems are there, the world opens up beautifully after the starter Island, and it's HUGE

    http://youtu.be/00dHRBaX-f0&hd=1

    What? In my opinion SWTOR is a game with one of the better map designs. It has large explorable maps, below average zoning except in docks/fleets, hidden areas that you won't discover by merely going through missions, and a consistent art style for each of the planets. Some of the planets are on the scale of a whole continent in WoW, so "small and restricted" definitely does not apply to it.

    Tatooine alone is bigger than entire Black Shroud area combined together. That is how pathetically small maps are in FFXIV. You feel like you are trapped in a shoe box.

    Did you ever consider that Tatooine is a PLANET?

    And comparing a single player game to an MMO is ridiculous.Your comparisons are awful . Get real.

  • Juice2000Juice2000 weymouthPosts: 92Member
    I think the size of the maps are more a result of the limited amount of time they had to make ARR. Since the announcement that they were begining work on ARR to its release they had just over a year to bring out a whole new game. I imagine this greatly reduced the amount time allocated to design each zone. How about we wait till the first new map and we see what they do with more time and focus available to them.  
  • time007time007 Houston, TXPosts: 488Member Uncommon
    its cuz of the PS3 restrictions. 

    image
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLPosts: 618Member Uncommon
    Meh.  Huge open worlds just for the sake of being huge open worlds do not appeal to me at all, content > space. 
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Meh.  Huge open worlds just for the sake of being huge open worlds do not appeal to me at all, content > space. 

    Well the problem is that FFARR is pretty light on content as well, so.....

    Small world with limited content.

    I think the right answer is they rushed it (as someone above pointed out) and ended up with a small world and not much content that even casual players will go through in the first month.

    If they worked on it for another year - the game needs about 50% more of everything IMO.

     

  • KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLPosts: 618Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Meh.  Huge open worlds just for the sake of being huge open worlds do not appeal to me at all, content > space. 

    Well the problem is that FFARR is pretty light on content as well, so.....

    Small world with limited content.

    I think the right answer is they rushed it (as someone above pointed out) and ended up with a small world and not much content that even casual players will go through in the first month.

    If they worked on it for another year - the game needs about 50% more of everything IMO.

     

    So...huge open world with little content?  Yeah, that makes sense.

  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,536Member Uncommon

     

    It's starting to become somewhat of a pro more so than a con for me.  This is mainly because I've chastised games HUGE zones in the past whereby you never see another player, much less a different faction (if available).  With these smaller, yet beautifully crafted zones I almost always feel like there are people in the game.

    When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

  • KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLPosts: 618Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

     

    It's starting to become somewhat of a pro more so than a con for me.  This is mainly because I've chastised games HUGE zones in the past whereby you never see another player, much less a different faction (if available).  With these smaller, yet beautifully crafted zones I almost always feel like there are people in the game.

    Yar

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Meh.  Huge open worlds just for the sake of being huge open worlds do not appeal to me at all, content > space. 

    Well the problem is that FFARR is pretty light on content as well, so.....

    Small world with limited content.

    I think the right answer is they rushed it (as someone above pointed out) and ended up with a small world and not much content that even casual players will go through in the first month.

    If they worked on it for another year - the game needs about 50% more of everything IMO.

     

    So...huge open world with little content?  Yeah, that makes sense.

    Huh?

    how did you get to that conclusion?

    If they added "50% more of everything" as I said that would include more content...

    So a huge open world full of content.

     

  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,141Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

    Yeah, i wonder why there are so few "Haters" posting about the small size of Zones and the overabundance "Loading Screens" - that is one of the very weak points if the game!

    Snif, if it would be ONLY that .... would be great. Besides problem with size, players are well protected by miriad of invisible walls preventing them doing to themselves and harm by jumping from to high, bad quests, every alt has his own layout of virutally anything, unique gcd, ... besides no spam reporting (because obviously spammers in ff does not exists), Fate failure, ... 

    I have incredibli positive memories to FF series and Square Enix was very high on my preffered list ... but what have they failed to ruin with 1.0, they have finished with ARR, record holder of how fast have quit out of 30 days free. Lost all wish to play after aprox 3 days (normal, week days) ... simply could not force myself to login back. Shame.

  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,237Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

    Yeah, i wonder why there are so few "Haters" posting about the small size of Zones and the overabundance "Loading Screens" - that is one of the very weak points if the game!

    Snif, if it would be ONLY that .... would be great. Besides problem with size, players are well protected by miriad of invisible walls preventing them doing to themselves and harm by jumping from to high, bad quests, every alt has his own layout of virutally anything, unique gcd, ... besides no spam reporting (because obviously spammers in ff does not exists), Fate failure, ... 

    I have incredibli positive memories to FF series and Square Enix was very high on my preffered list ... but what have they failed to ruin with 1.0, they have finished with ARR, record holder of how fast have quit out of 30 days free. Lost all wish to play after aprox 3 days (normal, week days) ... simply could not force myself to login back. Shame.

    Well sorry you don't like it and I hope you find something you do. 

  • dyermaker714dyermaker714 Austin, TXPosts: 192Member
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

    Yeah, i wonder why there are so few "Haters" posting about the small size of Zones and the overabundance "Loading Screens" - that is one of the very weak points if the game!

     

    This is literally the reason I won't play this game. A non seamless world in 2013? Thats a joke. I can't think of very many things that can kill immersion more than a loading screen or invisible walls. That's not a world. Was very disappointed when I found out this game wasn't seamless
  • malamor666malamor666 Middletown, NYPosts: 4Member
    Originally posted by dyermaker714
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

    Yeah, i wonder why there are so few "Haters" posting about the small size of Zones and the overabundance "Loading Screens" - that is one of the very weak points if the game!

     

    This is literally the reason I won't play this game. A non seamless world in 2013? Thats a joke. I can't think of very many things that can kill immersion more than a loading screen or invisible walls. That's not a world. Was very disappointed when I found out this game wasn't seamless

    But it's Final Faliure 14! It has outdated dated combat and quest systems..justified by fanboi's cries of 'old-school'. Game is a stale turd with a new new skirt on..anyone who isn't a die hard is out before 30 days...cocoboo  tweety bird riding or not..maybe the barbie for grown up's  crowd who like the trans-gender cosmetic art style might stick....real gamer's..not so much.

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.