Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

This game is WAY too childish

13»

Comments

  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef of heroes, MSPosts: 213Member

    You DO realize that regardless of the MMO, you're running around interacting with what amounts to imaginary characters of various imaginary races inhabiting an imaginary land, killing imaginary monsters for imaginary loot right? Sorry, but no amount of imaginary 'grittiness' will ever make what we do even close to an activity for adults. And you know what?

    Wouldn't have it any other way!

  • TheMaahesTheMaahes Marlborough, MAPosts: 185Member
    Originally posted by Rekindle

    I patched GW2 the other day and logged on to take a look.  Now, I realize we're talking about a fantasy game and its a game and its for entertainment.  As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me. 

    Seriously, what age group was this game made for and its just made for the youngest? 

    I just can't understand how a mature, cognitive adult could get much out of this experience.

    You should elaborate on what you mean by "childish".

  • BetakodoBetakodo Poor land, FLPosts: 338Member

    The story is definitely childish, which is sad considering the story of Guild Wars 1 was one of the game's strong points. There's no character development aside from Trahearne's and there are no real action cutscenes, just two people talking together. GW1 was all about the cutscenes although you have to account for the fact that it was 2005, even so there are still more action cutscenes in GW1 than GW2 by a long shot. I feel Guild Wars 2 did somethings right, but lost out on what made Guild Wars 1 great. For example in Guild Wars 1 there were no vistas or points of interest marked for you on your map. Everything was a secret, a beautiful view or a secret entrance to the Underworld were all things people had to discover, including towns. Well actually, there are no towns in Guild Wars 2 aside from the starter towns and Lion's arch.

    GW1 was kick your butt hard after the searing and you were forced to look for groups to do missions. On top of that people failed during the missions and you couldn't proceed with the story.  GW2's personal story servers no challenge except through the difference in level if you didn't grind enough hearts.

  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 558Member
    I miss the days when adults and kids alike could enjoy games like Secrets of Monkey Island, Gobliins, or Discworld together without the adults complaining that they're "too childish."
  • GinazGinaz Calgary, ABPosts: 1,731Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nevulus

    The Op states: " As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me" and you people verbally attack him. To makes matters worse, you try to disguise your attacks. Shameful what this forum has turned into over the past few years.

     

    I wont even bother quoting the two disruptive individuals, it's not even worth it., hence this post has been edited.

     

     

    No one really verbally attacked him.  He was implying that people who enjoy GW2 must be children or simple mined because "as an adult gamer" he felt the game was childish and since an "adult" doesn't enjoy it then those that do must be children or child like.  Theres better ways to present your argument than with thinly veiled insults.

    image

    Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

    Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

  • BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,941Member Uncommon
    I like gw2 but it is very childish in places, even the quest dialogues are childish in many places.

    Re post above he was most certainly attacked, read the posts again.

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • bartoni33bartoni33 Southern IllinoisPosts: 1,080Member Uncommon

    The multiple levels of irony here are epic!

    Here's a wakeup call:

    I work in a major retail outlet. We have all ages working here, in different levels of professions, blue collar to white. We share a large break room with many tables set close to each other.. One day a few of my co-workers and I were talking about MMO's and gaming in general. A few were ribbing on WoW because of the Pandaren that just came out, calling it childish. Some were defending it. One piped up that anyone not playing FPS like CoD and MoH were childish because of the lack of realism that you get in FPS. It was getting kinda heated and loud at that point!

    The table next to us was full of guys (different ages from 20-50s) that work out in the Tire and Lube area. One of them turned around and said "you guys are arguing about how childish one computer game is over another? You realize that ALL computer games are for children right? Adults play real games like poker and darts and sports".

    We are arguing about how one games is more childish than another when all computer games are child-like in some way or another. We are immersing ourselves in a make believe word that is nothing like the real one. We are creating another persona in another world and doing things that we cannot do IRL. That is exactly what children do daily when the play with their toys.

    BTW OP is trolling us. His opinion is OK but the whole "you are functionally retarded if you like GW2" part makes this a flame post. If this thread isn't locked by the time I post this I will be shocked!

    EDIT: I am shocked! Also the most ardent Troll of GW2 is actually forced to defend it because of how flametastic this thread is! i will give him props for being the better man/troll.

    image

  • DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Nevulus

    The Op states: " As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me" and you people verbally attack him. To makes matters worse, you try to disguise your attacks. Shameful what this forum has turned into over the past few years.

     

    I wont even bother quoting the two disruptive individuals, it's not even worth it., hence this post has been edited.

     

     

    No one really verbally attacked him.  He was implying that people who enjoy GW2 must be children or simple mined because "as an adult gamer" he felt the game was childish and since an "adult" doesn't enjoy it then those that do must be children or child like.  Theres better ways to present your argument than with thinly veiled insults.

    I agree with this.I'm not a fan of GW2 but I'd hardly call it childish personally.But the OP pretty much inviting and was looking for negative responses just by the way he worded things as Ginaz stated.

  • KanethKaneth Posts: 1,922Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

    You DO realize that regardless of the MMO, you're running around interacting with what amounts to imaginary characters of various imaginary races inhabiting an imaginary land, killing imaginary monsters for imaginary loot right? Sorry, but no amount of imaginary 'grittiness' will ever make what we do even close to an activity for adults. And you know what?

    Wouldn't have it any other way!

    This a million times. I am 35, married and have a 7 year old daughter. I play games with my wife (mmos) and I play games with my child (skylanders). I would say Skylanders is a childish game, but tons of fun to play with the kiddo, especially when she gets super excited about a section. I wouldn't call any mmo that I've ever play childish, as I wouldn't let my child play pretty much any of them, at least not yet.

    The only thing childish is the over abundant use of the word childish on these forums when attempting to describe why someone doesn't like something else. EQN art style: childish, WoW: childish, GW2: childish, it goes on and on. Pretty much to the point where I mostly avoid these types of threads.

    However, this post with this pic summed up how I felt so well, that it needed a response. People, once your inner child dies, a huge portion of your soul dies. I'm lucky to have a child, so my jackass ways can be explained as being a good parent, but I won't change even after she's grown up. I love that I can still "play", I think I am a happier person for it.

  • usuckmmorpgcomusuckmmorpgcom c, KYPosts: 1,348Member

    Being childish is the least of this game's problems.

    How about the fact that is practically plays itself? That oversight seems far more important.

    Although the male characters do have that "women with beards" look to them.

  • djazzydjazzy louisville, COPosts: 3,578Member

    As you get older you get to a point where you don't really give a fuck.

    If it's a fun game, I'll play it.

  • observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,002Member Uncommon
    I agree with the OP somewhat.  GW2 has some elements that make it childish.  Cute Quaggan and Charr backpacks, Super Adventure Box, Brawling minigame, etc.  There was a thread about this on the official forums several months back.
  • kragekrage Miami, FLPosts: 419Member

    I find it amusing how there is even the slightest idea that specific MMOs relate to players intelligence, there is no MMO on the market that requires tremendous amount of brainpower to play, lets not kid ourselves here.

    Also, I play GW2:

    -27 Years old male

    -8 year Army Veteran (US Army Intelligence Analyst)

    -I am married (My wife also plays GW2 with me, and she was a CI Agent that is currently finishing her Bachelors in Physics)

    -I run my own business, and volunteer at several non-profit organizations around my area

     

    I must be a child for playing GW2, OP your level of insight into the minds of millions of GW2 players is astounding!

    image
  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member
    Originally posted by Betakodo

    The story is definitely childish, which is sad considering the story of Guild Wars 1 was one of the game's strong points. There's no character development aside from Trahearne's and there are no real action cutscenes, just two people talking together. GW1 was all about the cutscenes although you have to account for the fact that it was 2005, even so there are still more action cutscenes in GW1 than GW2 by a long shot. I feel Guild Wars 2 did somethings right, but lost out on what made Guild Wars 1 great. For example in Guild Wars 1 there were no vistas or points of interest marked for you on your map. Everything was a secret, a beautiful view or a secret entrance to the Underworld were all things people had to discover, including towns. Well actually, there are no towns in Guild Wars 2 aside from the starter towns and Lion's arch.

    GW1 was kick your butt hard after the searing and you were forced to look for groups to do missions. On top of that people failed during the missions and you couldn't proceed with the story.  GW2's personal story servers no challenge except through the difference in level if you didn't grind enough hearts.

    I detest this about many recent MMO offerings. No open worlds and no exploration worth a shite. Just when you think someone gets it kinda right...GW2 areas are more open than most or give a decent illusion of openness and of life and activity even underwater...then you notice everything is marked on the world map. I want to freaking explore and discover not run from map icon to map icon checking off items like I'm going grocery shopping from a list. I like achievements but make them surprising..like you would never have thought to get an achievement for ..jumping off a mountain or drowning or discovering an underground lair. FFS give us whole worlds again without the rote, connect-the-dots game play.

    Ahh..wishful thinking.

    Now..with all that long  winded banter said...I still play GW2 from time to time. I really do like it and think it is a pretty decent game but just don't find myself playing steadily. One day I just go.."Oh yeah...why don't I play this game". Don't know what it is.

    As for GW2 maturity level..part of it is childish, i guess, like most fantasy MMOs..but sometimes I want a little silly fun. I love serious dramas, thrillers, realistic crime novels and am fascinating in reading/watching about serial killers. But I also like comic books and an occasional cartoon or Disney film.. Nothing wrong with that .

  • Arkade99Arkade99 Parsippany, NJPosts: 120Member Uncommon

    I thought the quest system was something more apt for a children's game, but gave it a chance anyway. The combat didn't really grab me. I tried several different classes but they all felt basically the same. The final straw for me was when I was prompted to pay for extra bag space. I knew the game had micro transactions, but I hate being nickled and dimed and not knowing what I'm going to have to pay for and how much it's going to cost. I prefer the transparency of a subscription. 

    Any one of those things and I might still be playing. But all 3 together were enough to make me stop.

  • CorehavenCorehaven Colorado Springs, COPosts: 1,538Member
    Originally posted by bartoni33

    BTW OP is trolling us. His opinion is OK but the whole "you are functionally retarded if you like GW2" part makes this a flame post. If this thread isn't locked by the time I post this I will be shocked!

     

     

    Actually after reading through the thread again, this is an obvious troll post.  I only say so because the OP never gave a single reason he thought the game was childish in any way.  He never gave one example.  The insinuation that everyone who plays GW2 is either a child or immature is very clear here. 

     

    I think in the end it probably wasn't even worthy of response or discussion. 

  • SirFubarSirFubar SeoulPosts: 397Member
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by bartoni33

    BTW OP is trolling us. His opinion is OK but the whole "you are functionally retarded if you like GW2" part makes this a flame post. If this thread isn't locked by the time I post this I will be shocked!

     

     

    Actually after reading through the thread again, this is an obvious troll post.  I only say so because the OP never gave a single reason he thought the game was childish in any way.  He never gave one example.  The insinuation that everyone who plays GW2 is either a child or immature is very clear here. 

     

    I think in the end it probably wasn't even worthy of response or discussion. 

    Exactly. And this is how every single trolling OP/post are. They bitch and bitch and are NEVER able to clearly explain why. But yeah, they are WAY more mature than a childish MMO... Even the OP mention he plays EvE so that he could look "more mature" lol. Fail from start to finish.

  • RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member
    Originally posted by observer
    I agree with the OP somewhat.  GW2 has some elements that make it childish.  Cute Quaggan and Charr backpacks, Super Adventure Box, Brawling minigame, etc.  There was a thread about this on the official forums several months back.

    This is fair, indeed but see the main issue is that anyone and almost everyone knows full on well the OP wasn't implying that, in fact I said what I said in on the first page as not just a question and statement(correct me if you shall lol) but only because he didn't elaborate, and then his actual intentions came about the second page or so.

     

    If the OP wasn't generalizing people or w/e who play the game(which he was) then I would even be up in arms. I can agree the backpacks are childish, hell SAB to be fair is not as childish because the setting really gives into those adults who because it's nostalgia to them in a sense, it wasn't directed for children, it really wasn't.

    The title of this thread was a fair opinion but the content of what you read afterwards is a stab at the people who play the game, intent could of been questionable but then it was explained.

     

    Oh and by the way I'm not just talking you Observer,In fact I'm sure you understand all this,  I mainly quoted you cause it was a respectable opinion, just felt like taking a step further on explaining to others in this thread why and how people generated most of their response, course I could be wrong, but it came from me reading each post and thinking  "Ahh I see what made him/her say that." 

     

    In the end you can say a game is childish to you because of X,Y,and Z but then stating it's tailored to children and etc or that a mature individual can't possibly like this game(I'm not saying this is said word for word but let's get real) is fallacy but maybe I'm wrong. It's all fine until you stab at people, it was well disguised though.

    I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

    I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

    P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

    Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

    I didn't feel the pve is childish.

    I do feel the WvW is  frankly an insult to those who bought the game thinking the WvW would approach the true genius of an 11 year old game ......  DAOC. Finding out WvW was just a 15 minute pvp game expanded to a full 24 hour one week scoring match(and not a true war) left me feeling duped.

  • NevulusNevulus Miami Beach, FLPosts: 1,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Nevulus

    The Op states: " As an adult gamer I can not play GW2 because it feels way too childish to me" and you people verbally attack him. To makes matters worse, you try to disguise your attacks. Shameful what this forum has turned into over the past few years.

     

    I wont even bother quoting the two disruptive individuals, it's not even worth it., hence this post has been edited.

     

     

    No one really verbally attacked him.  He was implying that people who enjoy GW2 must be children or simple mined because "as an adult gamer" he felt the game was childish and since an "adult" doesn't enjoy it then those that do must be children or child like.  Theres better ways to present your argument than with thinly veiled insults.

    They did attack him in thinly veiled sarcasm and outright insults. But you are correct, the OP stated his opinion in a manner that invites drama. The same drama that plagues these forums and ruined what was once an actual place for gaming discussion.

13»
This discussion has been closed.