Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Josh Foreman, GW2 dev:the numbers are pretty dismal

GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Josh Foreman is a lead dev on GW2.  He designed the Mad King Clock Tower and worked on the Super Adventure Box 1 and 2.  Just throwing that out there in case someone tries to say he's a minor figure or irrelevant to the design of GW2.  Anyway, according to a statement he made on his blog, the number of people actively playing the game is "dismal".  To quote: "Later in the day I casually asked the founder/president if we had any analytics about how many people were playing.  Well collecting that kind of data seems to be really fun for him as far as I can tell, so we ended up working together to gather that information for a while. That was nice, except for finding out what I suspected based on my forum experience: the numbers are pretty dismal (Compared to the exceptional numbers of the first SAB) right now.  I really hope that this patch will bring people back, but without the old reward schedule I don’t think it will happen.  So I’m pretty bummed and feel like I let down the whole company and especially my team because I made some poor judgement calls as coordinator.".

So, contrary to what the fanboys have been claiming, the number of people actually playing has gone down and by quite a bit.  The word "dismal" doesn't strike me as meaning "the population appears to be growing still'.  Discuss amongst yourselves.image

http://www.joshuaforeman.blogspot.ca/2013/09/epic-weekend.html

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Josh Foreman is a lead dev on GW2.  He designed the Mad King Clock Tower and worked on the Super Adventure Box 1 and 2.  Just throwing that out there in case someone tries to say he's a minor figure or irrelevant to the design of GW2.  Anyway, according to a statement he made on his blog, the number of people actively playing the game is "dismal".  To quote: "Later in the day I casually asked the founder/president if we had any analytics about how many people were playing.  Well collecting that kind of data seems to be really fun for him as far as I can tell, so we ended up working together to gather that information for a while. That was nice, except for finding out what I suspected based on my forum experience: the numbers are pretty dismal (Compared to the exceptional numbers of the first SAB) right now.  I really hope that this patch will bring people back, but without the old reward schedule I don’t think it will happen.  So I’m pretty bummed and feel like I let down the whole company and especially my team because I made some poor judgement calls as coordinator.".

So, contrary to what the fanboys have been claiming, the number of people actually playing has gone down and by quite a bit.  The word "dismal" doesn't strike me as meaning "the population appears to be growing still'.  Discuss amongst yourselves.image

http://www.joshuaforeman.blogspot.ca/2013/09/epic-weekend.html

As an unbaised, non-player, I'll point this out as others will soon too, context is your friend.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    So, he is saying the numbers of players taking part in the latest mini game are dismal compared to the previous mini game, and you use that to claim he is talking about overall playerbase numbers? GG.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    bleh...

As an unbaised, non-player, I'll point this out as others will soon too, context is your friend.

Please stop making sense. This is the internet for chrissake!!!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah as others have mentioned he is referring specifically to those using SAB.

I would go out on a limb and say a large majority of the core GW2 players arent that keen on SAB, they see it as a side-game gimmick. At least thats the impression I got from my guild when I logged on to try the new SAB.  Everyone in my guild was busy doing champions or fractals.

I rarely log onto GW2 anymore, usually for a quick game of PvP, but I like SAB so glad to see it back. But I don't think the core GW2 players feel the same as myself. They would rather be doing other content.   

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Hmm, it wasn't take clear if he meant people doing the SAB is down or that the first SAB brought a lot of people back but the second one didn't and overall numbers are down.  If what he meant was the former rather than the latter then I guess we can disregard all of this.  I was kind of surprised to see the word "dismal" used when describing the population because, even though I stopped playing and uninstalled awhile ago, I know more than a few people who play on a regular basis.

Either way, I'm sure the GW2 White Knight Brigade will be along to sort me out.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

When you put something like that in your sig and make posts like this...It's pretty obvious what your intentions are and they're less than honest....but really if this is all you can find, maybe you should find a better hobby ?

Why anyone would put so much effort into trolling a game, I will never understand.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    No need to get the gw2 pro brigade because you already owned yourself.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by evilastro

I like SAB so glad to see it back. But I don't think the core GW2 players feel the same as myself. They would rather be doing other content. 

i read something similar on forums

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/sab-bts/SAB-is-dying

There’s one easy explanation for why SAB wasn’’t as popular this time around.

It’s simply not new.

The patch in April came as a big surprise, and everyone was really enjoying the cute throwback to retro games and the April Fools joke that brought it out.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

bla.bla.blahhh...

You made a mistake. No big deal - Just say so instead of pulling this crap!

First rule of holes: If you find yourself in one - Stop digging!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Worst troll ever. Try harder next time!
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Hmm, it wasn't take clear if he meant people doing the SAB is down or that the first SAB brought a lot of people back but the second one didn't and overall numbers are down.  If what he meant was the former rather than the latter then I guess we can disregard all of this.  I was kind of surprised to see the word "dismal" used when describing the population because, even though I stopped playing and uninstalled awhile ago, I know more than a few people who play on a regular basis.

He's specifically talking about SAB.  Context is your friend.  He is in charge of SAB, and he was disappointed to see that compared to the first SAB, the numbers of people completing world 2/tribulation mode content is dismal.

So... I guess we can safely disregard all of what you were saying?  You did say so yourself.

One reason the SAB numbers is so low is a lot of people are doing the OTHER part of the patch.  Yes.  Every 2 weeks, there are multiple parts to the patch.  It's not like they only added SAB  In this case, they added ascended weapons, and crafting to 500 to make them.  Rather than spending the literally HOURS it takes to beat even a single SAB tribulation world, many people are concentrating on getting their first shot at the new BiS weapons.

And while SAB will be running for a month, just 1 week from now (It's been running for 1 week), they're adding a significantly retuned boss and some story to go with it.  So a lot of people will be doing that.  I'm only doing JUST enough SAB to get the achievements, personally.  Don't have enough hours in the day to run all the crazy new insanely hard stuff.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Meowhead

He's specifically talking about SAB.  Context is your friend.  He is in charge of SAB, and he was disappointed to see that compared to the first SAB, the numbers of people completing world 2/tribulation mode content is dismal.

So... I guess we can safely disregard all of what you were saying?  You did say so yourself.

One reason the SAB numbers is so low is a lot of people are doing the OTHER part of the patch.  Yes.  Every 2 weeks, there are multiple parts to the patch.  It's not like they only added SAB  In this case, they added ascended weapons, and crafting to 500 to make them.  Rather than spending the literally HOURS it takes to beat even a single SAB tribulation world, many people are concentrating on getting their first shot at the new BiS weapons.

And while SAB will be running for a month, just 1 week from now (It's been running for 1 week), they're adding a significantly retuned boss and some story to go with it.  So a lot of people will be doing that.  I'm only doing JUST enough SAB to get the achievements, personally.  Don't have enough hours in the day to run all the crazy new insanely hard stuff.

If thats the case, then I guess so.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

So GW2 is dying omg noooooo.

Fact that I had a 6hr!!!! qeue to get into WvWvW pretty much confirms that. :S

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's not surprising.  I didn't really like the 1st SAB.  It was fun for a day though, but it just seems like wasted content.  I didn't even try the 2nd SAB at all.  I'm just waiting for the Tequatl patch, which should be really nice.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

He is only commenting on SAB2 , not the game

And he is right, this time there is little incentive to play SAB2

Its extremely hard , and takes real long to complete. So most people (including me) just played it once to see how it looks, and stopped. Opposed to first that had some extensive farming.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Ok so who is really surprised that people don't want to play the new SAB?

The first one was brilliant and took skills. The new one is just filled with instant death traps everywhere and I'm not even talking about tribulation mode.

So why did they mess up SAB so badly? Because they want to sell that infinite continue coin.

This is the first example where you can really see how the shop influences ingame content.

PS: And yeah OP please read your own posts more carefully before you desperately try to back up that signature of yours.

Harbinger of Fools
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Poor OP tought he could compare a minigame to the overal playerbase totals.
    Try harder next time bro.
    I dont like GW2 anymore and i quited playing it and have much more fun in Tera (atm)
    But i dont understand the grief some people try to bring down on mmo's.
    They hope to provoke a response that triggera flamewar and fanboy versus hater reactions.

And what did he get ? a full flat hand right on the left cheek.
    Hard.

Try reading your shit instead and try at least to understand what stuff is writen down before making a fail tread proving your reading comprahension is like a 5 year old.
    have a nice day kiddo

Originally posted by Dakeru

Ok so who is really surprised that people don't want to play the new SAB?

The first one was brilliant and took skills. The new one is just filled with instant death traps everywhere and I'm not even talking about tribulation mode.

So why did they mess up SAB so badly? Because they want to sell that infinite continue coin.

This is the first example where you can really see how the shop influences ingame content.

PS: And yeah OP please read your own posts more carefully before you desperately try to back up that signature of yours.

.... World 2 isn't THAT hard.  ... and they did tweak almost all the really annoying parts, actually.

Josh Foreman was actually talking about how he felt bad that it came out that hard, most of the testing group was apparently more experienced in jumping puzzles than your average GW2 player.  They tried to fix it up so it's not actually nearly as fatal as Tribulation mode (And it isn't anymore).

If you look at the patches, they removed a lot of the most annoying parts, like the waterfall, the rapids damaging you, they even fixed up a lot of the traps in the ninja temple with the gong.... and they made the one really long jumping part in world 2-3 SIGNIFICANTLY easier.  I was shocked how easy it was actually, since I beat it the original way the first time and constantly fell.  When I did it again in tribulation mode (Post patch) I didn't fall even once.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

besides the hillarious assumptions of the OP - it was clearly too early to bring back the SAB. I loved it the first time, but grinded it so hard, i cba to enter it again within a year. bring it back in 6 months and youll have your numbers in there again.

the next patch on tuesday tho ... that will be big movietime.

edit: i forgot @ OP: I, in all honesty, would try to sue the crap out of you for intentional reputational damage, beeing ANET. For the fun alone. :D

[mod edit]

Uhhhh... no?  They were just being fair and evenhanded?

This is a crazy concept, but... people who... even if they aren't playing a game, or even aren't a fan of it...

... want to make sure that people make factual statements and don't spread misinformation?

Or are we supposed to lie about the games we don't play/enjoy?  :/

I was proud to see people being fair. :P  This behavior should be encouraged.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

You fanbois are hilarious!

Most of you that defended GW2, also said you were NOT playing the game anymore!

And, even though your NOT playing the game, your SURE there are LOTS of people playing it....LOL

I swear, the avg IQ around this site has gone wayyy down over the last few years

This is a crazy concept, but... people who... even if they aren't playing a game, or even aren't a fan of it...

... want to make sure that people make factual statements and don't spread misinformation?

Thank you so much for proving my point!

How can they be fair and evenhanded, when they are NOT playing?

How can they know what the population is like in GW2, if they are NOT playing?

How can it be "fair", giving opinions about a game you are NOT playing?

How can they know what the people who are actually playing GW2 are thinking, if they are NOT playing?

Now, would you mind re-read the whole thread and let us know, which of the guys saying that they are not playing the game, in fact has told us something about the population in GW2 and how great GW2 is doing?

They were saying that the OP was trying (again) to bash GW2. 

You haters are hilarious!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

IMO I think it may be in reference to the first SAB or maybe even special event participation overall. I have not seen a noticeable decrease in players, at least on my server (Tarnished Coast), to warn of dismal player activity...although it does seem like most people aren't as hyped for this round of SAB.

I can't speak with certainty if the population is still growing or not with new accounts, but I can say it does not feel as if it is shrinking or suffering from dismal activity across the entire game. 

You fanbois are hilarious!

Most of you that defended GW2, also said you were NOT playing the game anymore!

And, even though your NOT playing the game, your SURE there are LOTS of people playing it....LOL

I swear, the avg IQ around this site has gone wayyy down over the last few years

Thank you so much for proving my point!

How can they be fair and evenhanded, when they are NOT playing?

How can they know what the population is like in GW2, if they are NOT playing?

How can it be "fair", giving opinions about a game you are NOT playing?

How can they know what the people who are actually playing GW2 are thinking, if they are NOT playing?

well, im playing every day and i can asure you - population is not an issue in gw2 ^^

queues are. if anything, too many people are on my server ;)

and then again ... why am i answering to something like you?

.. blABLABLA intentional wrong assumptions bla bla ...

on a sidenote: dont you think your sig is pretty embarrassing now that 2013 is coming to an end soon and well ... gw2 is a great success?

This discussion has been closed.