Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO for a former WoW-chick & forever solo-RPG fan?

scarlettxscarlettx Member Posts: 30

Help me pop my MMORPG forum cherry by recommending me what would be only my 2nd MMO experience! (WoW being the first and only).

Looking for free-to-play, ideally. Very curious about GW2 but waiting till the Xmas sales roll 'round to see if I can score a great deal on the deluxe edition. Where my WoW experience is concerned, I played for about 6 months but left as my rag-tag guild was dying out and we were never able to get enough people leveled to experience end-game content. (I was the only one out of 12 or so who was leveling a toon for the 1st time; the rest were coming back from extended hiatuses.) To be honest, what I enjoyed most about WoW was the stuff that my guildies complained about: questing, crafting, and rollin' in the gold. Toward the end, I was only logging on to play the AH, which definitely wasn't worth my subscription fee.

So an MMO that's solo-friendly would also be ideal, but having an active community would be aces for down the road. PvP isn't much my thing, nor role play.

And as for my general gaming preferences, I'm a hardcore fan of the Mass Effect trilogy, as well as the Elder Scrolls games, Fallout 3, Dishonored, Dragon Age Origins, and Deus Ex. Not sure if anything quite along those combined lines exists in MMOs, but I'd love to find it. Suggestions?

Comments

• saitohxsaitohx Member UncommonPosts: 18

Final Fantasy Realm Reborn (subscription-based)... is pretty fun. I think the profession and instance are what makes it fun. 0 pvp thot.

Dragon Nest (Free to Play)... fun but can get boring unless you start making friends or have friends playing with you.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

"...questing, crafting, and rollin' in the gold."

I'd say Lord of the Rings Online.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

If you want a single player MMO then pick up "Skyrim Legendary Edition". It is a single player MMO. I was in the same boat as you looking for a MMO and that made me more than happy, it's a great game.

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

Eden Eternal is a MMO I recently played for quite a while, it seems to have a lot of what you listed that you like.

The game starts off pretty easy and basic but down the road it gets much much more complex with all sorts of crafting. You may like this. Guilds can buy their own towns, purchase and upgrade merchants that sell better stuff, get guild buffs, etc... lots and lots of features. It is in an anime/chibi style if you like or don't like that. The class system is similar to Ragnarok Online mixed with some Final Fantasy games.

You have a class advancement path (thief -> rogue -> ninja -> whatever) but to unlock certain classes you need to have leveled other classes up to a specific level (ex: for a samurai you need warrior 55 and thief 55, this may not be the actual requirement I'm just making it up for an example). You can change your class at ANY time, you are not locked in. Each class levels up separately. You can have a level 5 mage and a level 50 warrior.

(one of my favorite things is it keeps your gear loadout for each type of class so you don't have to carry around your equipment for every class, it remembers what you had equipped and will automatically switch to that gear when you change classes, weapons are the only exception, you have to change those yourself. It also remembers your hotkey setups for each class, this is also fantastic. These are minor but to me it's one of those features where if it wasn't there, it would make the game extremely tedious and annoying so I'm glad they had the foresight to add them).

Combat is pretty fun, dungeons at later levels can be very difficult solo but mostly possible depending on your class.

I am hesitant to suggest TERA online only because I feel it has probably one of the worst crafting systems I've ever experienced. They made the gathering the materials part fun and rewarding by giving you buffs for every time you collect something but the actual crafting is the most boring and odd system I've ever seen. It feels completely pointless and unrewarding. The only time you'll probably need to craft stuff is end game, otherwise it's just not worth it. Combat is great if you don't like auto targeting (click on an enemy and go through your hotkeys). If you do prefer combat like WoW you may not like this due to having to aim your hits and spells (most of them). Again very fun and depending on how good you are you can solo most things but it's much much faster and efficient with a few other friends.

• VoreDockVoreDock Member UncommonPosts: 128

If you liked WOW try SWTOR the set up is mostly the same the setting is very difrent but the content is wonderfull  once you get use to  voice over quests going back is hard 

• Godshelp12Godshelp12 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited August 2015
    [Delete]
    Post edited by Godshelp12 on
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

I think you might want to wait for The Elder Scrolls Online release next spring between February and May. Whilst I can't promise that it will be what you're looking for, and it won't be free to play, I do think that you will enjoy it.

It caters to both MMO and RPG fans by the nature of their design. In anycase, I don't believe you should go for another MMO that follows the typical hotbar combat system like the one in WoW because there simply is no game out there more polished than WoW when it comes to that gameplay. That includes Guildwars 2, even though it is a rather refreshing take on the hotbar combat (Action orientated).

I personally don't think that any of the current MMOs would be a good 2nd MMO for anyone who has ever played WoW for a greater period of time. (Although Guildwars 2 might be a great 1st MMO experience)

Originally posted by Godshelp12
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

If you want a single player MMO then pick up "Skyrim Legendary Edition". It is a single player MMO. I was in the same boat as you looking for a MMO and that made me more than happy, it's a great game.

I hope you're not serious about thinking Skyrim is a "Single Player MMO"...

It's an RPG, not an MMO.  MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online

The way the game plays it feels like a single player MMO, I would completely agree with Blazer on that... I felt like I was playing an MMO without the rest of the people.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205

Are you serious? Skyrim? MMO? Since when is single player considered as an MMO? specially the ones that you can't play with other people in the game. She meant by "solo" meaning, you still can play with thousands of people at the same time, but does not require to play in a group.

I suggest Age of Conan, amazing combat system, mount combat, awesome gore and slight nudity, guild cities and sieges, what else do you want from a game? Just ignore the group quests, you are good to solo, and leveling its rather easy by soloing as well, story quests does not require you to group up. I mean come on, you can do a execution moves on either other player (if you're in a pvp) and to the npc enemies. Oh! and don't forget crafting.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    This recommendations wont go over well here, but if you enjoyed the Mass Effect series then you may enjoy Star Wars: The Old Republic.  It is a story driven RPG like the M.E. series or the original KoTOR series.  There is no M. Night Shyamalan worthy twist in the story like in KoTOR 1.  F2P is limits the crafting,  twinking of Alts and the use of the Auction House.  The gear you get from quests, and flashpoints(dungeons) is fine.  Check Subscription, Preferred, Free-to-Play Features to see the difference between the different levels.  Preferred, IMO is the only comfortable F2P option, and is available after spending $4.99 in the cash shop. Good luck.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Godshelp12

I hope you're not serious about thinking Skyrim is a "Single Player MMO"...

It's an RPG, not an MMO.  MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online

MMO-RPG. I actually agree with him. Skyrim had many things in common with MMOs. The "Fetch 10 bearbums" was made into "Fetch [Random item] from [Random Dungeon] through the radiant system. The guild storylines were so awfully grindy. Not to mention "Dark Brotherhood Forever", did anyone actually bother with that? That quest was awful. All in all, I think Oblivion had better storyline, Morrowind and better atmosphere and wonder too it but Skyrim was just their most polished game.

Skyrim had great graphics considering the nature of TES games, the combat was bad, but much better than their previous titles, it felt very much like an elder scrolls game and whenever you progress slightly in the mainstoryline you are forced into bothersome combat with tons of Dragons á la Oblivion gates. But all in all, the quests and story were weaker than previous titles.

• mav1234mav1234 Member UncommonPosts: 82

You could try Rift.  It's a decent solo experience, though quite a bit like WoW.

TOR's stories are pretty fucking awesome, so if you like questing, that might be for you.  But I think it's F2P is WAY too penalizing.

I recently went back to Rift, and I'm liking it.

• pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Guild Wars 2 is your best choise, you can solo almost everything, because of open-group mechanics, fixed party for 5 man dungeon only. I found community is pretty nice there, cool and drama free, i would recommend Gandara server (unofficial UK) and our very fun active guild TAC :) http://thorinandcompany.shivtr.com/
  • Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Rift fits your description well. Also, it is F2P without being heavy handed and gimping you.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by Alka_Setzer

The way the game plays it feels like a single player MMO, I would completely agree with Blazer on that... I felt like I was playing an MMO without the rest of the people.

Exactly.....

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    SWTOR is probably your best bet.  It is very solo friendly and it also makes grouping relatively worthwhile.  Crafting wise biochem could keep you pretty well flush with cash and most of the cartel market items (like pvp passes, flashpoint passes etc) are available off the auction house for ingame credits.  Gameplay is a slight evolution from wow's whether for the better or worse is up to the individual.
  • scarlettxscarlettx Member Posts: 30

Wow, so many responses already?! You guys are amazing. <3

Originally posted by saitohx

Final Fantasy Realm Reborn (subscription-based)... is pretty fun. I think the profession and instance are what makes it fun. 0 pvp thot.

Dragon Nest (Free to Play)... fun but can get boring unless you start making friends or have friends playing with you.

I know I'm likely one of the few and far between, but I actually don't have any experience with FF games, so the idea of jumping into an MMO based on that storyline doesn't really appeal (same with SWTOR). Cheers for the recommendation though, and I'll certainly look into Dragon Nest.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

"...questing, crafting, and rollin' in the gold."

I'd say Lord of the Rings Online.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Oh believe you me, I'm a huge fan of Skyrim. I spent about two straight days re-installing and re-modding a few weeks ago, after I finally took the time to figure out Wyre Bash. Incredible game! I can see where you're coming from with the comparison, but even though I'm a solo gamer at heart, being able to branch out in an MMO environment is compelling, and being in a small guild was hella fun in WoW. So in that way, I just don't think Skyrim can compare. Looking forward to ES: Online though!

Eden Eternal is a MMO I recently played for quite a while, it seems to have a lot of what you listed that you like.

The game starts off pretty easy and basic but down the road it gets much much more complex with all sorts of crafting. You may like this. Guilds can buy their own towns, purchase and upgrade merchants that sell better stuff, get guild buffs, etc... lots and lots of features. It is in an anime/chibi style if you like or don't like that. The class system is similar to Ragnarok Online mixed with some Final Fantasy games ...

I am hesitant to suggest TERA online only because I feel it has probably one of the worst crafting systems I've ever experienced. They made the gathering the materials part fun and rewarding by giving you buffs for every time you collect something but the actual crafting is the most boring and odd system I've ever seen. It feels completely pointless and unrewarding. The only time you'll probably need to craft stuff is end game, otherwise it's just not worth it. Combat is great if you don't like auto targeting (click on an enemy and go through your hotkeys). If you do prefer combat like WoW you may not like this due to having to aim your hits and spells (most of them). Again very fun and depending on how good you are you can solo most things but it's much much faster and efficient with a few other friends.

Nice! I appreciate both the recommendations. TERA is one I've been curious about for a while, but I hadn't heard that criticism about the crafting systems. Shame, that. A big part of what made WoW so compelling to me was crafting like mad and watching the gold roll in ... and then scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell to spend it on outside of transmog armor pieces. ;)

Eden Eternal sounds interesting, not one I've heard of before. I've never played anything in the anime/chibi style; I'd imagine it's quite different than MMOs in the WoW vein?

Originally posted by asrlohz

I think you might want to wait for The Elder Scrolls Online release next spring between February and May. Whilst I can't promise that it will be what you're looking for, and it won't be free to play, I do think that you will enjoy it.

Oh is it looking like a Spring 2014 release? That would be fantastic; last I'd checked on Amazon, the pre-sales were listing a late December 2014 release. I hope it proves to be the epic game that I've been imagining!

Originally posted by MyownGod

I suggest Age of Conan, amazing combat system, mount combat, awesome gore and slight nudity, guild cities and sieges, what else do you want from a game? Just ignore the group quests, you are good to solo, and leveling its rather easy by soloing as well, story quests does not require you to group up. I mean come on, you can do a execution moves on either other player (if you're in a pvp) and to the npc enemies. Oh! and don't forget crafting.

Psssh, only SLIGHT nudity? ;)

Will definitely check out Age of Conan, thanks!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

All good suggestions above^^

Might I suggest Tera,  here is a preview of a dungeon via the GM's  http://www.twitch.tv/enmasseentertainment/b/439873432

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    None of the final fantasy games share the same story, world and characters. they only share things like names of items, magic and monsters.  So its basically a fresh new game world and lore each time.

Originally posted by Konfess
    This recommendations wont go over well here, but if you enjoyed the Mass Effect series then you may enjoy Star Wars: The Old Republic.  It is a story driven RPG like the M.E. series or the original KoTOR series.  There is no M. Night Shyamalan worthy twist in the story like in KoTOR 1.  F2P is limits the crafting,  twinking of Alts and the use of the Auction House.  The gear you get from quests, and flashpoints(dungeons) is fine.  Check Subscription, Preferred, Free-to-Play Features to see the difference between the different levels.  Preferred, IMO is the only comfortable F2P option, and is available after spending $4.99 in the cash shop. Good luck.

Originally posted by severius
    SWTOR is probably your best bet.  It is very solo friendly and it also makes grouping relatively worthwhile.  Crafting wise biochem could keep you pretty well flush with cash and most of the cartel market items (like pvp passes, flashpoint passes etc) are available off the auction house for ingame credits.  Gameplay is a slight evolution from wow's whether for the better or worse is up to the individual.

So y'all have me curious ... do you think someone with no extended familiarity with Star Wars would be able to get into SWTOR? I can see the appeal of Lord of the Rings Online straight-away, having read the books and loved the films, but without a base of interest/knowledge in SW, do you think the game would be as appealing? (Kind of the same question I had about FF as well.)

Originally posted by mav1234

You could try Rift.  It's a decent solo experience, though quite a bit like WoW.

TOR's stories are pretty fucking awesome, so if you like questing, that might be for you.  But I think it's F2P is WAY too penalizing.

Originally posted by Afro-Thunder
    Rift fits your description well. Also, it is F2P without being heavy handed and gimping you.

Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Originally posted by mav1234

I have to agree with this. Rift sounds like it has just what you want for the most part, though it's not as solo friendly as GW2. I think you are on the right track with that one, for what you want. But Rift is better for crafting and the AH.

So economy/crafting = Rift (f2p), but make sure you are on a busy shard.

Solo friendly = GW2 

When did RIFT go f2p? I'm thrilled to hear it, as that was the one I was going to switch to after WoW before I got sidetracked with Skyrim. I've seen TERA compared to RIFT a few times, but would you say the latter is the superior game?

Originally posted by pinktailz
    Guild Wars 2 is your best choise, you can solo almost everything, because of open-group mechanics, fixed party for 5 man dungeon only. I found community is pretty nice there, cool and drama free, i would recommend Gandara server (unofficial UK) and our very fun active guild TAC :) http://thorinandcompany.shivtr.com/

Drama-free is gold to me after dealing with nonsense in my WoW guild. ;) And yeah, GW2 has been tops on my list for a while now, just hoping for a better price on the deluxe edition before biting.

Thanks again for all the excellent suggestions, everyone!

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by scarlettx

So y'all have me curious ... do you think someone with no extended familiarity with Star Wars would be able to get into SWTOR? I can see the appeal of Lord of the Rings Online straight-away, having read the books and loved the films, but without a base of interest/knowledge in SW, do you think the game would be as appealing? (Kind of the same question I had about FF as well.) 

There aren't any prerequisites storywise or lorewise to play SWTOR. The story takes you back in history (so to speak) in regards to the movies. Actually it plays several hundred years after the KOTOR1 & 2 games. There will be the occasional reference to events in KOTOR but that's only nice gimmicks.

If you are familiar with WOW then the gameplay wouldn't be totally different. Dunno how things have evolved since the transition to f2p though.

• AtlasGravesAtlasGraves Member UncommonPosts: 16

Dont want to post like a fanboy here, but serisouly The Secret World is pretty damn amazing.

I have played MMO's since text based MUD's before the internet existed, and everything from UO to Sierra Online, to Wow, to you name it, but this game really has an amazing story, world, settling, blend of fact, fiction, fantasy, and just suspense and intrigue , its the best $14.99 I have spent on a game in I cant tell you how long

I have heard all the naysayers , see all the trends, but its just a well put together experience that I cant put down and I havnt been like that in years, spend a couple of bucks, you wont regret it, im sorry I waited on this game.

When did RIFT go f2p? I'm thrilled to hear it, as that was the one I was going to switch to after WoW before I got sidetracked with Skyrim. I've seen TERA compared to RIFT a few times, but would you say the latter is the superior game?

Personally I don't think Rift is anything like TERA. I didn't play Rift very long but to me personally, the movement and combat felt sort of clunky and unresponsive. The battle systems couldn't be anymore different. Rift has the more traditional of target and press hotkeys while TERA has the more action-y type of combat where it's basically the same but you are able to dodge, block, and get out of the way of monster attacks. Normally in the traditional MMOs when you run away monsters still hit you even from quite a distance, not so much in TERA. Again I didn't play Rift enough to be able to really judge it, that's just really my first impressions. I definitely didn't get far enough into it to craft and do all of the end game stuff, maybe I will go back and check it out again. TERA is good if you wanna try something different, the download is quite large though, I believe 20-25gb total so be prepared for that. First impressions for TERA after the f2p change http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUStlCYLink combat starts around 4:30. Around 24:10 he's fighting one of the tougher monsters meant for multiple people which shows off the whole dodging and aiming aspect of the game.

As for Eden Eternal, the anime/chibi style doesn't really change the game much itself. The biggest difference from WoW is the whole class advancement system probably but I'm sure you've played other games with similar types of features. In WoW you really only have one class and that's it, in Eden Eternal one character can be every class if you want, just only one at a time. The combat is also more towards the traditional type of MMO where you just target something and press hotkeys to attack. The combat isn't much different from what you're probably used to but I found it to be more exciting than WoW. The whole style is very colorful and vibrant so if you like that, it's a plus. You can check out a first impressions video from MMOHuts here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_wAvHYBTEI Just be aware that it is a first impressions from closed beta so a lot of things might be different. For one you can preview all classes on character creation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbl3QbOwgiM This also gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. Don't expect you to watch both as they're pretty long. (pets also seem to be extremely powerful from what I've found, it basically does more damage than my own character which is kind of crazy).

Originally posted by theAsna

There aren't any prerequisites storywise or lorewise to play SWTOR. The story takes you back in history (so to speak) in regards to the movies. Actually it plays several hundred years after the KOTOR1 & 2 games. There will be the occasional reference to events in KOTOR but that's only nice gimmicks.

If you are familiar with WOW then the gameplay wouldn't be totally different. Dunno how things have evolved since the transition to f2p though.

Very curious to check it out, as SWTOR has come up repeatedly in this thread and others similar. Thanks!

Originally posted by AtlasGraves

Dont want to post like a fanboy here, but serisouly The Secret World is pretty damn amazing.

I have played MMO's since text based MUD's before the internet existed, and everything from UO to Sierra Online, to Wow, to you name it, but this game really has an amazing story, world, settling, blend of fact, fiction, fantasy, and just suspense and intrigue , its the best $14.99 I have spent on a game in I cant tell you how long

I have heard all the naysayers , see all the trends, but its just a well put together experience that I cant put down and I havnt been like that in years, spend a couple of bucks, you wont regret it, im sorry I waited on this game.

Atlas, thank you for the reminder! I completely forgot that I picked up TSW during an Amazon sale several months ago, but lost the download when my external hd died. Going to see if I can re-download, was really looking forward to trying that one out. The reviews are so divergent too. Some people really seem to dislike it, wonder why?

Personally I don't think Rift is anything like TERA. I didn't play Rift very long but to me personally, the movement and combat felt sort of clunky and unresponsive. The battle systems couldn't be anymore different. Rift has the more traditional of target and press hotkeys while TERA has the more action-y type of combat where it's basically the same but you are able to dodge, block, and get out of the way of monster attacks. Normally in the traditional MMOs when you run away monsters still hit you even from quite a distance, not so much in TERA. Again I didn't play Rift enough to be able to really judge it, that's just really my first impressions. I definitely didn't get far enough into it to craft and do all of the end game stuff, maybe I will go back and check it out again. TERA is good if you wanna try something different, the download is quite large though, I believe 20-25gb total so be prepared for that. First impressions for TERA after the f2p change http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUStlCYLink combat starts around 4:30. Around 24:10 he's fighting one of the tougher monsters meant for multiple people which shows off the whole dodging and aiming aspect of the game.

As for Eden Eternal, the anime/chibi style doesn't really change the game much itself. The biggest difference from WoW is the whole class advancement system probably but I'm sure you've played other games with similar types of features. In WoW you really only have one class and that's it, in Eden Eternal one character can be every class if you want, just only one at a time. The combat is also more towards the traditional type of MMO where you just target something and press hotkeys to attack. The combat isn't much different from what you're probably used to but I found it to be more exciting than WoW. The whole style is very colorful and vibrant so if you like that, it's a plus. You can check out a first impressions video from MMOHuts here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_wAvHYBTEI Just be aware that it is a first impressions from closed beta so a lot of things might be different. For one you can preview all classes on character creation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbl3QbOwgiM This also gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. Don't expect you to watch both as they're pretty long. (pets also seem to be extremely powerful from what I've found, it basically does more damage than my own character which is kind of crazy).

Alka, you're rad - going to check out these videos shortly. Thanks for taking the time to find them! <3

Alka, you're rad - going to check out these videos shortly. Thanks for taking the time to find them! <3

Yep, no worries. Again about Rift, don't write it off because of my comments since I really didn't play it long, didn't really give it a chance since it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time. For all I know you could love it especially because of the similarity between it and WoW.

Aion might be another one you'd be interested in although my brother has told me it gets very grindy later on, especially with upgrading gear and crafting (though that's the case in most MMOs anyways). Can't say too much bad about it, it seems like a solid MMO and from what I have seen it is getting updates pretty consistently so it must be doing well. I do know they made leveling much much easier and less tedious from when I played it so that's kind of a plus. The one thing I think you may not like about it is that it seems to be very PvP oriented, especially end game. I'm not huge into PvP so I've never bothered with it in Aion but from what my brother has told me almost all of the best gear is gained through PvP.