Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason I think FFXIV is going to fail: Staying power

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by simulacra
    You haven't done any hard-mode content and do not like raiding, and you complain that this game is too easy? What? It certainly is easy leveling up, but the challenging part is the endgame raiding. You should've mentioned this in your original post. It's clear now that this whole thread is a waste of time for everyone. This game just isn't for you. Not sure what you were expecting, but endgame = challenging raiding. That's where all the staying power is. 

If this is true then this thread is very valuable actually. As what you're saying is, the game only has staying power for one very specific demographic. I find that somewhat concerning in a sub based MMO in this day and age.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The game is a lot of fun, and really well made - sure there are obviously problems, but for me - I have become perfectly 100% comfortable with the idea of not-subbing after my free month is up and waiting until I can try the game on PS4 early next year.

It just... I was so hooked and had that constant drive to log in and play... but then it was gone. Just "poof" vanish. 

I have long way left to get to that point XD.

Got lv27 lancer(main), lv27 archer, lv27 puglist. Got five crafting professions at lv30, three at lv25-27, got botanist at lv26, miner at lv26. 

I think I would honestly dislike backtracking, that's why I level all "together" so to speak. Hardest to level are definitely the botanist and miner; so those are the ones "slowing" me down XD. 

I don't think I would like rushing a crafting class to 50, while the rest are far behind. I am done for today, but my goal tomorrow is to get the three remaining crafting classes to lv30; need to collect bomb ash trough lv26 miner to get those mats and simultaneously get some exp on my miner. Of course I calculate so that I collect just enough bomb ash to get my armorer and blacksmith to lv30 through crafting steel ingots (steel ingot = 2 x iron ore + 1 x bomb ash); after that I need to use leves to level my gathering classes:/. I do not like selling gathering materials on the AH. 

I think my playstyle is very enjoyable. This way, I am never feeling that I "outlevel" stuff. I practically always play in full HQ gear. I refuse to use any gear that isn't crafted by me.

I notice that I run out of quest on my main rather easily; so I intend to let my Lancer gain exp from all quests while my archer and puglist are mainly leveled through dungeons and leves. Which reminds me that I need to get my lancer to 28 through questing so that my archer and puglist can get the 50% exp bonus from mobs and fates.

If I skipped the gathering classes, I would be so much higher level on remaining classes XD. 

My gathering classes are only lvl 15, but the best time for me to level them is while I'm in the Duty Finder Queue. I'll make a goal of farming full stacks of 99 and, so far, my queue has popped very near to when I've reached that goal.

Not sure how it'll be at higher levels tho. Hopefully similar.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The game is a lot of fun, and really well made - sure there are obviously problems, but for me - I have become perfectly 100% comfortable with the idea of not-subbing after my free month is up and waiting until I can try the game on PS4 early next year.

It just... I was so hooked and had that constant drive to log in and play... but then it was gone. Just "poof" vanish.

I have long way left to get to that point XD.

Got lv27 lancer(main), lv27 archer, lv27 puglist. Got five crafting professions at lv30, three at lv25-27, got botanist at lv26, miner at lv26. 

I think I would honestly dislike backtracking, that's why I level all "together" so to speak. Hardest to level are definitely the botanist and miner; so those are the ones "slowing" me down XD. 

I don't think I would like rushing a crafting class to 50, while the rest are far behind. I am done for today, but my goal tomorrow is to get the three remaining crafting classes to lv30; need to collect bomb ash trough lv26 miner to get those mats and simultaneously get some exp on my miner. Of course I calculate so that I collect just enough bomb ash to get my armorer and blacksmith to lv30 through crafting steel ingots (steel ingot = 2 x iron ore + 1 x bomb ash); after that I need to use leves to level my gathering classes:/. I do not like selling gathering materials on the AH. 

I think my playstyle is very enjoyable. This way, I am never feeling that I "outlevel" stuff. I practically always play in full HQ gear. I refuse to use any gear that isn't crafted by me.

I notice that I run out of quest on my main rather easily; so I intend to let my Lancer gain exp from all quests while my archer and puglist are mainly leveled through dungeons and leves. Which reminds me that I need to get my lancer to 28 through questing so that my archer and puglist can get the 50% exp bonus from mobs and fates.

If I skipped the gathering classes, I would be so much higher level on remaining classes XD. 

That's how I am also.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Except that this is a different game? I never played 1.0 - I just know a good MMO when I play it. Have fun with whatever game you deem worthy of your time :)

You didn't have to play 1.0, your post is exactly how fans used to post during 1.0. So it gave me a deja vu feeling and we know how things went after couple of months.When people start wishing for people to leave and how it will make community lot better it just raises all kind of red flags. Seen it happening so many times.

I didn't say I "wish" players would leave - I said that we don't need players like that. There are other games out there for the hardcore gamer elitists - the rest of us are thrilled with what SE has done and are looking forward to the upcoming content.

It's going to take me at least another month to finish leveling my crafting profs alone...maybe. I take my time and am enjoying the ride.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I agree that the game will experience a significant drop off. But I do not agree that it has no staying power. The issue here is that the staying power it has, isn't the staying power the OP wants. There are several factors that are not being considered.

1. The game is just released and is not complete. And I don't mean like major patch content like WoW. I mean things that are supposed to be implemented and will be in the game before content patches become regular. There is much to come yet.

2. The game's design was around experiencing different aspects of the game. OP has not done this. You bypassed so much content in the game's design philosophy just so you could hit 50 and now are saying it's not good. But you are choosing not to go back and experience the game's content. This isn't like SWTOR where they thought you'd be so enthralled with the story line you'd want to do it again and again on alts. This game is designed to give new experiences to further develop the same character. Basically, You are not as done as you say you are.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

@OP Nice write up. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

I preordered and was in Beta 4 and Early Access.

When people had hit 50 before Launch Day I knew there were problems.

agree - that's not a good sign for longterm play

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    The game might be fun and entertaining but as I found out in SWTOR, crafting seems obsolete when you can get similiar items from adventuring etc.  Even if you don't level fast, 2 months in your going to be pretty high. Seems on par with SWTOR. However that game is still fun for some people. It is early yet but there is not more content around the corner. Not for a while. My main issue is when I run out of content I tend to gravitate away. Mostly though I do not come back for  along time and by then there is tons of content. Lately though, the newer games go F2P after the mass exodus and that model doesn't sit with me well. Back to an older game I go *sighs* 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by simulacra You haven't done any hard-mode content and do not like raiding, and you complain that this game is too easy? What? It certainly is easy leveling up, but the challenging part is the endgame raiding. You should've mentioned this in your original post. It's clear now that this whole thread is a waste of time for everyone. This game just isn't for you. Not sure what you were expecting, but endgame = challenging raiding. That's where all the staying power is. 
    If this is true then this thread is very valuable actually. As what you're saying is, the game only has staying power for one very specific demographic. I find that somewhat concerning in a sub based MMO in this day and age.

There are a lot of ways to play. I can attest to that when my partner and I log on it takes a few minutes to decide what we want to do first. And it takes forever to log off because we keep remembering things we wanted to work on haha.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

What's the problem? The box is cheap for an AAA mmo and you get a free month. Enjoy the game and then move on.  Its not the player's job to earn money for Square Enix. 

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

My opinion is that FFXIV will do just fine in the long run.

It wont ever make WoW subscriptions but it will have a healthy one. FF is a very strong IP with thousands of followers.

Game is no perfect but it's a solid and legit title.Critic is already praising it. This game will improve and expand and will last for years, just like XI, even if you like it or not.

I expect to read a thread like this about, TESO, Widstar, EQNext and whatever new game comes out.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

I do like the game ... well to a point. I think some of the failings are that they have closed servers to character creation ... even if you already have a character on that server. That to me makes no sense ... not like you can play more than one per account as it is.

The other issue is .. and this is tied to the one above ... gold spammers ...  If they close off the server to make new Characters and durring launch you could not even get on to make one .. yet here they are again .. spamming ...

I think the game could be great .. but I think the exploits (fate farming) and the server issues have left a bad taste in my mouth and i am really not sure about persuing the game further.

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972

Most MMO i play i always stop playing when i reach a certain point and i'm asking this simple question, why i'm i doing this ?  When i cannot asnwer it, i stop.   FF XIV lasted 3 weeks for me....

I do the same, and I too am starting to not have a good answer for that question. 

But to be honest, I'm starting to have that feeling about all MMOs.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It may be my opinion but a long term MMO needs 2 things;

1. A grind

2. Players willing to do it.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

OP is right

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Pin_Cushion

When people had hit 50 before Launch Day I knew there were problems.

^This

This and

THIS!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by knightaudit

I do like the game ... well to a point. I think some of the failings are that they have closed servers to character creation ... even if you already have a character on that server. That to me makes no sense ... not like you can play more than one per account as it is.

The other issue is .. and this is tied to the one above ... gold spammers ...  If they close off the server to make new Characters and durring launch you could not even get on to make one .. yet here they are again .. spamming ...

I think the game could be great .. but I think the exploits (fate farming) and the server issues have left a bad taste in my mouth and i am really not sure about persuing the game further.

Character creation has been allowed since the "fix". That is also when the Gil spam began.

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Playing a few days, pc version not really enjoying it i found the starting experiance just insanely slow paced, which  really just bored the crap out of me for the best part of an hour or two nearly. Not to keen on the look of it either zones feel small the quests arent very interesting. Cant really see my self sticking with it im only lvl 16 its just not lacking polish and interesting things to do for me. Just to much mob grinding repeating missions for my liking. 

• TambourineTambourine Member UncommonPosts: 181

I could be mistaken but did Square Enix not have the audacity to completely scrap the initial release of this title and rebuild it entirely in a rather brief amount of time for the player's sake?

Isn't this some sort of precedent?

I haven't played yet myself and am eagerly awaiting sales.

Two questions -

Is the consistently gorgeous Final Fantasy art present?

And the music?

I loved FFXI despite being a little too casual to really experience a lot of the game. The complaints on leveling being too quick have me a little worried to be honest but really what I desire is a dynamic and engaging grouping experience as found in FFXI and the art/music characteristic of any FF title.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Except that this is a different game? I never played 1.0 - I just know a good MMO when I play it. Have fun with whatever game you deem worthy of your time :)

You didn't have to play 1.0, your post is exactly how fans used to post during 1.0. So it gave me a deja vu feeling and we know how things went after couple of months.When people start wishing for people to leave and how it will make community lot better it just raises all kind of red flags. Seen it happening so many times.

I didn't say I "wish" players would leave - I said that we don't need players like that. There are other games out there for the hardcore gamer elitists - the rest of us are thrilled with what SE has done and are looking forward to the upcoming content.

It's going to take me at least another month to finish leveling my crafting profs alone...maybe. I take my time and am enjoying the ride.

Well that is great but not everyone is into crafting and seeing the amount of DOW  and DOM classes at 50..it is pretty clear that a lot of people are going to quit. I didn't get the memo where it said 'if you only play DOW or DOM classes you are doing it wrong'. You can't blame the players for this. For those who like to focus only on one class it takes roughly two weeks to hit 50 even with most casual play.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

Well that is great but not everyone is into crafting and seeing the amount of DOW  and DOM classes at 50..it is pretty clear that a lot of people are going to quit. I didn't get the memo where it said 'if you only play DOW or DOM classes you are doing it wrong'. You can't blame the players for this. For those who like to focus only on one class it takes roughly two weeks to hit 50 even with most casual play.

I've been playing a lot, or atleast what I consider a lot, since the 27th, and I'm only lvl 32arch/15pug/21fisher...

I don't know what your definition of 'casual play' is, but I think you maybe over/under estimating how much people play, and what is casual vs. psudo-hard core.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Cymdai

Issue #1: Crafting is utterly useless As I got my LTW to 50, I had a sense of relief. "Alright, I'm done with THAT part of the game..." I thought to myself. I figured with my newfound craft, I'd be able to start making money almost immediately in the game. There is just one small problem; there is no demand for hardly anything. Gear, which should be utilized to a degree by all classes, isn't necessary. Because of the incredible ease of the game, it hasn't been uncommon to see people wearing severely outdated gear throughout the game. I've seen level 40's rocking level 18 armor, and to no real penalty. Since there's no reason for combat classes to buy gear, there's no reason to craft combat gear. Furthermore, combat classes can get gear cheaper/free, and easier simply by doing quests and dungeons. Furthermore, due to Issue#2, people are leveling so fast and efficiently that there's no reason to EVER buy gear! In fact, the irony of crafting +gathering and +crafting gear is that the only people who buy it is fellow crafters and gatherers. Essentially, you're creating gear for crafting because it's mandatory, but crafting has no purpose other than to build more crafting gear...and, of course, materia melding. I basically spent all my gil buying crystals and ingredients to level a craft which is now essentially worthless. Also, since no one needs to buy anything... there is no economy. Gil is essentially used to skilling up a craft, or repairing your end game gear. That's it. And once you lose it, it's 10x harder to make it back, because there is ample supply, and meager demand. This is probably related to the fact that...

At level 26 Armorer I have doubled my gil roughly every 4 days of playing (20k > 40k > 80k > 160k.....) by a couple of hours per day of actually trying to make gil. This is at level 26, not even level 50.

Issue #1: Players create imaginary issues to make it seem like the problem is not on their end.

Interesting. Your reply had anything to with what he was trying to say. He gave some solid points regarding crafting being nothing more than a time and gil sink and all you did was show how much gil you are making everyday.

Issue #1 ; People on these forum do selective reading.

I'm no FF ARR fanboy - this is the 1st time I've played a FF title but it's the best MMO I've played in years. All of the "content locusts" will run off leaving a decent community of great players and quite frankly...we don't need or want that kind of player.

Posts like these give me such a  deja vu feeling from 1.0. Sigh..some people just never learn even though history keeps repeating itself over and over again. 

He said crafting is nothing but a gilsink, I explained how I am making money as a low level crafter (so in my case crafting is the opposite of a gilsink). Quite clearly my post, thus, addressed his complaint.

As for whether crafting is a time-sink, it would be great to know how the rest of the game somehow is not a timesink. Crafters just like battle classes have their own storylines and gear to aim towards in the endgame, and their gameplay consists for a large part of playing with the economy.

I guess this is easy for me to grasp because I don't come from an mmorpg where money means nothing and npc's handle everything for you. Making money in this game as a crafter is like boiling water.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354

The problem is the change that came with ARR brought the wow crowd and that crowd won't stay for more then 2 months. 

My problem is the devs now days suck more then the wow crowd. I want to play a square Enix game not the bastard game changed every few days cause someone at the forum cries about certain feature. Devs creating their game is all a gamer should ask for.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV

The problem is the change that came with ARR brought the wow crowd and that crowd won't stay for more then 2 months. 

My problem is the devs now days suck more then the wow crowd. I want to play a square Enix game not the bastard game changed every few days cause someone at the forum cries about certain feature. Devs creating their game is all a gamer should ask for.

So now if FF XIV doesn't thrive you're going to blame WoW?

/facepalm

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Sunnyguy46
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV

So now if FF XIV doesn't thrive you're going to blame WoW?

/facepalm

Quite an intepretation of his post you have there, champ.

The game needs its FF gamers to thrive though, as the WoW crowd will undoubtedly leave within the next few months. The cmomunity will be much better as the result, so hopefully the transition goes smoothly.

It also helps if SE implements features that make it important to give a crap about your image. Nowadays people spam the shout with their nonsense because they don't have to give a crap about what anyone thinks about them. Such a blast from the WoW past.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".