Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Away with Fates

That's what I think SE should do.

The Fates, atleast in their current form, make leveling too easy. Too much content can be skipped because of it.

It just seems cheap, and doesn't seem to fit the game in general. It's almost like an after thought.

I understand that from your third class on there are really no quests, but the present state of Fates is NOT a good solution.

Maybe they need to up the exp from Leves? 

Who's got some good ideas?

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    or just nerf fate xp by 50% and boost instances by 25%
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Why not just not do them? Because you don't like it, nobody should? Am I understanding you correctly?

• teknotazteknotaz Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by vidiotking

That's what I think SE should do.

The Fates, atleast in their current form, make leveling too easy. Too much content can be skipped because of it.

It just seems cheap, and doesn't seem to fit the game in general. It's almost like an after thought.

I understand that from your third class on there are really no quests, but the present state of Fates is NOT a good solution.

Maybe they need to up the exp from Leves? 

Who's got some good ideas?

getting rid of FATES all together is not the answer. maybe making then spawn less could be or maybe as you said at the end, increase the XP but not just leve but overall.

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52

People actually like doing fates.

You will want them to pop often when leveling up a second combat class.

Yes they need a viable and different option and alternative to them.

Yes I think your first trip to 50 is too fast...after that though....

And no it doesn't bother me to see people playing the game in a manner different from what I chose.  I know fates are going to be my prime path to leveling additional classes...so I didn't want to burn out on them.

Also leveling speed is something that will anger a lot of people no matter which way you go.  Too fast pisses some off, too slow pisses others off.  You cant win.  No matter how fast you make leveling people will cry for faster, no matter how slow you make leveling content locusts will rip right through it and want more.

• PsistormPsistorm Member UncommonPosts: 46

I've yet to get to play the game - hoping to be able to do so starting next week - but from what I heard, FATEs do seem to be a bit of an unbalanced content type, given they reportedly give you the best exp/loot vs time ratio.

I still want to try dungeons, but in light of having a way that totally eclipses them in risk/reward etc, I can see how people find themselves frustrated. So yeah, the FATEs need to be brought in line with other content. Maybe make them slightly harder, give dungeons a purpose, and slightly reduce the amount of exp they give. It is okay for FATEs to primarily serve one loot purpose and dungeons another, that is quite a nice way of making people try both.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Why not just not do them? Because you don't like it, nobody should? Am I understanding you correctly?

I don't do them unless they're right on top of me.

I'm not sure if I think they should be gone all together, or just the frequency and/or exp from them should be toned down.

I believe they detract from the spirit of the game. 

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Leveling too easy for whom? I mean if you don't like it then don't use it. You still have to do all of your storyline quests to unlock stuff. It doesn't hurt anyone, it keeps people entertained, it makes groups come together to do fates - as you see LFGs for fate groups quite a bit. 

So what is the down side again? That will get to 50 too fast?

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I'm not sure if I think they should be gone all together, or just the frequency and/or exp from them should be toned down.

And what is the 'spirit of the game'?

Originally posted by GlacianNex

Leveling too easy for whom? I mean if you don't like it then don't use it. You still have to do all of your storyline quests to unlock stuff. It doesn't hurt anyone, it keeps people entertained, it makes groups come together to do fates - as you see LFGs for fate groups quite a bit. 

So what is the down side again? That will get to 50 too fast?

I see and agree with your point regarding 'keeping people entertained'. That is paramount. They have to keep people in game paying subs to get us some more content.

I just hope that the new content is NOT more fates.

I do not agree with the line of thought that fate groups produce any sense of community. At least that has not been my experience w/ 'public quests' in other games.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang Why not just not do them? Because you don't like it, nobody should? Am I understanding you correctly?

Ah I misunderstood then because your topic title just says "Do away with fates". I understand that there are aspects of the game you may not enjoy. But other players do. Maybe they will tweak it after the majority of players have their favorite class(es) leveled up to 50. Whats happening in the game right now is not necessarily indicative of how it will be in even a month. This is the new mmo rush. Subs havent kicked in yet, powerlevelers are everywhere. Weather the storm so to speak.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Yeah, no. FATEs should not be removed, as they are a great way to level any other combat class AFTER you've burned through all of your quests, leves, hunting log. However, the xps for them should be toned down a bit in the pre-40 areas. Since secondary classes receive an xp boost, this could make up for the lower FATE xps in addition to food xp buffs as well.

However, all this will do is somewhat slow down the leveling process for some. I have played since early access and I am only level 25 on my highest combat class, but I've dabbled in a bit of everything as I have two combat classes above 20, 2 more in their teens and the rest hovering around 10. As well as having botany and mining both around 15 and armorcraft, alchemy and leatherworking all in their teens as well. I could care less if anyone else levels faster than me, I am having fun doing what I am doing.

I figured the 'headline' should be a bold statement. To attract an audience.... It's standard 'news' protocol.
  • netsamurainetsamurai Member UncommonPosts: 23

I'm not entirely sure how you can skip content by doing FATEs.  I mean, you can pass up the side quests, but you cannot do the level 50 story quest without actually going through all the other story content.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Trying to force people to play a certain way is a really bad idea. If people want to level the fastest way possible in a game then that is what they will figure out and do. If you take away fates they will simply find then next fastest way to grind to the end. If that is doing dungeons then they will figure out how to speed clear dungeons and will only make pugging even more of a nightmare. No thank you. At least in fates I don't have to deal with the idiots to terribly directly. Fates are fine the way they are. If fates keep the locust out of my dungeons and away from my quest mobs, then they are alright by me.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by netsamurai

I'm not entirely sure how you can skip content by doing FATEs.  I mean, you can pass up the side quests, but you cannot do the level 50 story quest without actually going through all the other story content.

I think you could skip whole areas of the game. So you wouldn't be 'soaking' it all in if you just chased Fates all day. You would miss some/a lot of the 'vistas'.

This is just my gut feeling. I'm not saying I'm right, because opinions can not be right or wrong. I don't like Fates. I liked them more in WAR or even RIFT. They don't seem, to me, to fit into FF....

Maybe if they did more w/ them, like linked them together and made some kind of quest w/ them....

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    sounds like the feedback of a lowbie. fates become necessary at higher levels and branching into additional classes, very necessary. it gets very grindy even doing fates

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by netsamurai

I think you could skip whole areas of the game. So you wouldn't be 'soaking' it all in if you just chased Fates all day. You would miss some/a lot of the 'vistas'.

This is just my gut feeling. I'm not saying I'm right, because opinions can not be right or wrong. I don't like Fates. I liked them more in WAR or even RIFT. They don't seem, to me, to fit into FF....

Maybe if they did more w/ them, like linked them together and made some kind of quest w/ them....

I agree that they don't fit. From what I've seen, all it amounts to is people charging in and attacking anything with the purple mark next to their name. There is no story or reason for the FATE being there, at least not one anyone can enjoy amongst all the blizzards and AOE spam going on to tag the mobs.

Not sure what the "good loot from FATES is" either...since I play melee and everything is tagged by the time I hit it...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Too late, the genie had been let out of the bottle.  One thing we've learned over the years is any attempt to take away something, especially if it is the easiest or most efficient way to progress is met with a huge player outcry.

I mean face it, if you don't want to do the fates, nothing is making you, other than your own inability to resist the fact they are the most effective way to progress.  You could do something else, but since you lack the control, and you certainly don't want to see others make use of them when you don't want to, you want them removed.

I suspect most people running fates are perfectly fine with how they work, because at the end of the day, the progression is what the game is all about, and not the actual gameplay itself.  Basic MMORPG design actually. probably the core behavior that drives both the games and their players.

Working as intended.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Easy leveling ruins an MMO. That's all I am going to say

I'm not currently doing Fates.

If Fates are the best way to level your 3rd to 8th class, then I would say that Fates are a design FLAW.

It's lame in my opinion.

It is a lack of content. Throwing some mobs in an area and having people zerg them is not content. Atleast that's how I see it.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

I'd prefer to see more things like Behemoth and Odin, although they must have level requirements attached to them.  This is to reduce the quantity of "spectators" that lag out the zone and cause failure.

With harder FATES there should be an associated bump in experience.  I do not want to see it removed.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Who made you the video game police?  Seriously.  They don't detract.  Some people prefer them to level.  Others do not.  Frankly as an alternative levelling device once people have a LOT of classes it works.  SE doesn't mind them so far.

If you don't like them or are getting your pants in a wad because someone hits 50 before you and skips the game, why should it matter?  Live and let live.

Originally posted by Ikeda

Who made you the video game police?  Seriously.  They don't detract.  Some people prefer them to level.  Others do not.  Frankly as an alternative levelling device once people have a LOT of classes it works.  SE doesn't mind them so far.

If you don't like them or are getting your pants in a wad because someone hits 50 before you and skips the game, why should it matter?  Live and let live.

This^^

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Are you trying to save me from myself?
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Are you trying to save me from myself?

Pretty much. People don't know what's good for them. They need me to tell them.