Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO: False Cash-shop Rumour

This should clear some of the confusion regarding the rumours regarding a cash shop ontop of the Subscription fee in The Elder Scrolls Online:

After a recent interview in Cologne the Elder Scrolls Online fanbase blew up. Matt Firor spoke about "Fun stuff" and name change services which were gravely missunderstood as "Cosmetic/Item shop". About a week ago Paul Sage announced that it was all a missunderstanding and there will be no cash shop within the game.

You can listen to the podcast here:

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/2013/09/05/episode-81-the-paul-sage/

Missunderstood Matt Inteview:

http://esohub.de/news/154-eso-interview-abomodell-itemshop-entwicklung%5B1%5D

Doomsayers spoke too soon once again.

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Er... can you really blame people when the lead dev comes out and says there's a cash shop? Doomsayers weren't speaking too soon, they were reacting to a very real implication that this game would be double dipping price models. Since I don't speak German, I went to another site that had a translation:

"One line during the interview is: “Laut Matt Firor wird es in The Elder Scrolls Online einen Itemshop geben, wo ihr Spaß-Items und Charakterservices wie eine Umbenennung des Charakters kaufen könnt,” which roughly translates to “Matt Firor said there will be a cash shop in The Elder Scrolls Online that will sell “fun items and character services like character renames”."

I'm glad this was cleared up, though.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by rygard49

Er... can you really blame people when the lead dev comes out and says there's a cash shop? Doomsayers weren't speaking too soon, they were reacting to a very real implication that this game would be double dipping price models. Since I don't speak German, I went to another site that had a translation:

"One line during the interview is: “Laut Matt Firor wird es in The Elder Scrolls Online einen Itemshop geben, wo ihr Spaß-Items und Charakterservices wie eine Umbenennung des Charakters kaufen könnt,” which roughly translates to “Matt Firor said there will be a cash shop in The Elder Scrolls Online that will sell “fun items and character services like character renames”."

I'm glad this was cleared up, though.

"We'll have a shop to buy kind of fun stuff and services too, like namechanges and things like that. But it's not part of the coregame. Everthing in the coregame included in the subscription base"

He never used the terms "Cash Shop", "Itemshop", "Ingame Store" or anything like that. And anything within the core game refers to the game without additional content updates such as expansions. Most of the things were taken out of context by people too lazy to scroll down the interview to find the video (which is spoken in English) and instead relied on some half arsed, out of context translations.

They definitely spoke too soon. Nothing pointed to a cash shop other than that he said "Fun stuff" which would rather relate to their physical TES:O merchandise than cosmetics.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I haven't really been following TESO's features that closely, but the sad fact is that I'm probably going to buy it anyway, with or without cash shop. Guess I really don't care that much if someone likes to sink more money in the game.

If someone wants vanity stuff, exp boost, healing potions, silly little pets etc. it really doesn't bother me. It's weird how people can be on the edge with something like this. And I'm not talking about TESO only, just mmorpgs in general.

Originally posted by Mortemia

I haven't really been following TESO's features that closely, but the sad fact is that I'm probably going to buy it anyway, with or without cash shop. Guess I really don't care that much if someone likes to sink more money in the game.

If someone wants vanity stuff, exp boost, healing potions, silly little pets etc. it really doesn't bother me. It's weird how people can be on the edge with something like this. And I'm not talking about TESO only, just mmorpgs in general.

See, you're making some very valid points. But if you wouldn't spend money on the itemshop anyhow, it would be in your favour for one not to exist. Mainly due to the fact that there won't be hundreds upon hundreds of people in the same vanity armour running around in the PvP battlefield. Or any massive pets with intrusive particle effects or such.

In either case, I agree. I would have bought it regardless. But I'm not a nomad. I wish to stick to one MMO for several years, that also means that I want those vanity items to be earnable throughout the game alone, hence becoming a bragging right much like titles in World of Warcraft.

But I assume that being an "MMOHOLIC" means that you jump onto every last MMO that launches just to rush through the content without spending a dime on any possible cash shop and then leaving. This isn't meant to be anything negative, but I think that might be why you wouldn't bother to care, which is respectable.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

they wont call it a cash shop because it is a subscription game and they know people will have bad reactions. They said they will sell account services, which is good. They also said they will sell "fun stuff" and Trinkets" that arent part of the core game. Fun stuff and trinkets that arent part of the core game can easily translate to convenience items that belong to a cash shop.

OP, you are saying that people who reacted bad to this are lazy but you defend Zenimax's stand because they never called it a cash shop when you know they will never call it a cash shop because it will sound bad for them..... sigh.

Lets just wait for the game to launch and see what "fun stuff" and "trinkets" actually mean on their "store"

Originally posted by rojo6934

they wont call it a cash shop because it is a subscription game and they know people will have bad reactions. They said they will sell account services, which is good. They also said they will sell "fun stuff" and Trinkets" that arent part of the core game. Fun stuff and trinkets that arent part of the core game can easily translate to convenience items that belong to a cash shop.

OP, you are saying that people who reacted bad to this are lazy but you defend Zenimax's stand because they never called it a cash shop when you know they will never call it a cash shop because it will sound bad for them..... sigh.

Lets just wait for the game to launch and see what "fun stuff" and "trinkets" actually mean on their "store"

Listen to the podcast. Paul came out and announced that there would be nothing like that in the game. So I guess your reaction was bad because you were too lazy to read through the post properly.

I guess you proved my point by yourself.

Originally posted by cura
    I dont give a crap what they want to sell in the shop. Shop and sub is fucking no go. 

Most MMO's have namechanges and such. Read through the post again instead of reading the title and go straight to rage.

Originally posted by asrlohz

See, you're making some very valid points.

his points are only valid in a game that does not have a mandatory subscription. When you are stuck with a subscription, the price you pay covers everything that is in the game. If they want to sell additional stuff they can make an expansion, include all those litle items in it alone with the new content, then sell the expansion.

Just because one or more people dont care about cash shop items doesnt mean it is ok to have a cash shop in a subscription game for other people to use. The fact that the store is there is just not ok.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I dont give a crap what they want to sell in the shop. Shop and sub is fucking no go. 

Most MMO's have namechanges and such. Read through the post again instead of reading the title and go straight to rage.

I bet you feel like your changing diapers lol.

you keep bringing up account services (name changes, etc). Nobody is talking about account services. We all know that is acceptable to have as extra paid services. What is not acceptable is in game items. Just stop.... your making yourself look bad. Nobody is talking about account services.

See, you're making some very valid points.

his points are only valid in a game that does not have a mandatory subscription. When you are stuck with a subscription, the price you pay covers everything that is in the game. If they want to sell additional stuff they can make an expansion, include all those litle items in it alone with the new content, then sell the expansion.

Just because one or more people dont care about cash shop items doesnt mean it is ok to have a cash shop in a subscription game for other people to use. The fact that the store is there is just not ok.

His points are valid nonetheless. They are not wrong in any aspect. I don't agree with having a cash shop as well as a subscription since I stick with MMOs for a long while. But he most likely finishes one within the first month with the free month included in the retail copy, hence it wouldn't matter to him.

You are also making some valid points, except that you assume that everyone will agree with you. It is their product, if they wanted to have subcription fees as well as a cashop (even if it is pay to win) that is their choice and that's okey. All it means is that I, and most likely others might not play their game.

you keep bringing up account services (name changes, etc). Nobody is talking about account services. We all know that is acceptable to have as extra paid services. What is not acceptable is in game items. Just stop.... your making yourself look bad. Nobody is talking about account services.

Read through the post. The only services that they will sell in their store are services such as name changes. You are making yourself look bad by assuming that they will have a cash shop.

You are also making some valid points, except that you assume that everyone will agree with you. It is their product, if they wanted to have subcription fees as well as a cashop (even if it is pay to win) that is their choice and that's okey. All it means is that I, and most likely others might not play their game.

i dont expect anyone else to agree with me. But yes you are right that it is their product so they can add what they want. With that said, they should be aware than these bad business practices will cost them more when they fail out of pure greed. It has been proven by every company that tried to do it. They all changed their model after burning themselves playing with fire.

Read through the post. The only services that they will sell in their store are services such as name changes. You are making yourself look bad by assuming that they will have a cash shop.

now they changed their message then. Only account services? good, because they said before that they will sell trinkets and fun stuff as well, which doesnt mean account services.

i dont expect anyone else to agree with me. But yes you are right that it is their product so they can add what they want. With that said, they should be aware than these bad business practices will cost them more when they fail out of pure greed. It has been proven by every company that tried to do it. They all changed their model after burning themselves playing with fire.

Very well. But please, I beg you, read through the post and listen to what Paul Sage said in the podcast before making any additional comments. You've been arguing as if I was pulling my points out of my arse.

now they changed their message then. Only account services? good, because they said before that they will sell trinkets and fun stuff as well, which doesnt mean account services.

They never claimed that they would sell trinkets or such in any store. People just started taking Matt Firor out of context. Hence they didn't change their message. This is what they've always planned and everything prior to this podcast pointed to that as well. It was just a metric ton of people getting the wrong end of the stick.

Of course I do not blame you for missunderstanding after the whole forums lit up about it.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

IF you don't like it, don't use it. This goes for any games with a cash shop. Who cares who decides to spend THEIR money on whatever THEY want. It doesn't take away from the game unless it's the main feature. I don't even know how people so closed minded like you, even found their way to this site. Next thing I'll be hearing, "I have to pay for my internet connection, and buy the game! Hell no!"

Originally posted by Carnicide

IF you don't like it, don't use it. This goes for any games with a cash shop. Who cares who decides to spend THEIR money on whatever THEY want. It doesn't take away from the game unless it's the main feature. I don't even know how people so closed minded like you, even found their way to this site. Next thing I'll be hearing, "I have to pay for my internet connection, and buy the game! Hell no!"

The Xbox/PS TES:O fans have already been shouting that, sadly. "I already have to pay for Xbox live, why would I have to pay for a subscription ontop of that!"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

You don't have to wait. You can see some of those items right now since the "cash shop" already exists: Just go to the same old Bethesda Store that has been around for years, and under the menu heading "Brands" just choose the Elder Scrolls Online Page:  http://store.bethsoft.com/

Only T-shirts and glasses so far but there you have the mysterious and infamous "ESO Cash Shop."

That was how WOW's cash shop started also. Figurines, etc. will be there eventually as will all the other crap I never buy in any game image

As to the people who reacted to the original bit in the German website... There wasn't just one type of "people" nor one type of reaction and certainly more than one agenda... most of the hysteria came with those who hate the sub model to begin with in the form of "and another fu**ing thing!"

Most of us just knew we didn't have enough info yet and we would see when we see.

I know, I know...hysteria at mmorpg.com... what next, eh?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

The Xbox/PS TES:O fans have already been shouting that, sadly. "I already have to pay for Xbox live, why would I have to pay for a subscription ontop of that!"

LOL yeah I know that shout all too well, but I actually meant like your broadband internet connection. Not the connection XBOX live or PSN makes you pay.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

LOL yeah I know that shout all too well, but I actually meant like your broadband internet connection. Not the connection XBOX live or PSN makes you pay.

Might as well add in the cost of the computer or console, the desk it sits on or the 60" 3-D TV, and the house the desk and TV are in to the "total cost" package. Paying money sucks, no question about it. Why isn't everything free? image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Might as well add in the cost of the computer or console, the desk it sits on or the 60" 3-D TV, and the house the desk and TV are in to the "total cost" package. Paying money sucks, no question about it. Why isn't everything free? image

That's my point exactly, we're paying for a service that we don't need. A luxury if you will. We won't need ESO to live will we? Nothing is free in life, so these people need to stop complaining about everything in life. The ESO looks and plays great, so I on the other hand will be partaking in this adventure with the sub, AND with or without a cash shop.

Originally posted by Iselin

"You wouldn't download a car - Yes I would" - mentality is getting a bit obnoxious isn't it?

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

People say this all the time, that "I don't/won't use the Cash/Item Shop but I don't care if others do or if there is one".

Don't be too sure about that one. I speak from experience with SWTOR. I don't use the Cartel Market (cash shop) there, and I even stay away from almost all CM items up for sale on the GTN (auction hall), but when you see Patch after Patch crammed full of Cash Shop items it begins to get on your nerves.

I understand completely how some potential future Players of TESO might get worried by what some people thought was said.

I'm content with this thread. It turned out much more civil than I thought it would. Good job, fellow Forum-Dwellers.