Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason I think FFXIV is going to fail: Staying power

Comments

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Nr 4 being avoided by a slower pace? It's an inherent flaw in the trinity design. You will never be able to achieve perfect symmetri between the different roles among a shifting playerbase, you can however alleviate the issue in various ways.
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

If I had to guess an estimate on my play time... let's see.

During open beta, it was a weekend, and I played 10 hours on Saturday (didn't have anything else to do at all), but then got 1017'd and 3102'd for Sunday, and never got back on.

Early access, I got probably 15 total hours in, due to the server issues and log-in issues.

During the week, I can play at work for a few hours during the slow times, and I play at night at home, so maybe 6 more hours each day.

Weekends, I don't play on Sunday much, but Saturday is like a 12 hour marathon session.

So it'd be something like 6 x 5 = 30, x 2 = 60. +10 = 70. + 15 = 85. + 20ish = 105.

I'd estimate around 100 hours in 20 days. With that 100, I got my crafts leveled, my BRD to 50, did all the dungeons, etc. I haven't finished hard mode stuff yet, but I'm not keen on raiding, so there's that.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I agree with the OP regarding the crafting. It's a damn shame too because it really is a nice crafting system, but made pointless by other aspects of the game.

I initially wasn't planning on doing much crafting, but then I got sucked in for several days. Started working on all of my crafts, did almost nothing but crafting for those days and got every craft up around 25-30. Then I went back to doing other stuff, and quickly realized all of that time & gil I just invested in crafting was pretty useless. Not only was I quickly out leveling all of the gear sets I had made for myself, but the reality was I could just buy it all from an NPC anyway. Sure theyre not HQ versions, but that only makes a very minor difference. Even when I was still within level range for my crafted stuff, I was always replacing it with better gear for those levels from dungeon & GCs.

So at this point I've kind of given up on crafting as it is rather pointless, especially for the amount of time invested in leveling crafts. The only real purpose I see to crafting at this point is the ability to slot materia, which requires craft levels. The actual crafted items are pretty pointless though.

Also, things like Alchemy... what a waste. Sure some of the stuff you can make can be pretty useful (like potions / ethers) if you can get the materials easy / cheap enough. But buff potions that only last very short times, like 15 seconds... whats the point? That only makes it useful for a fraction of a boss fight, and useless for regular content. If you want people to invest in crafts like Alchemy, those things have got to be improved. Buff potions should last at least several minutes, like 3-5, in order to make them useful for full boss fights and at least somewhat useful for other content.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

With all due respect, this prediction is a bit too early and only applies to content locusts such as yourself. I understand where you are coming from where you are asking for more content NOW. However, you have to consider that not everyone plays the way you do. Some like myself are patiently awaiting the patches to come - Arenas, Golden Saucer, 3-way PVP, housing.

Those changes are bound to come and we accept that it will take time. I respect your opinion and your incessant reminder that "you're a big fan who loves the game with rainbows and butterflies", but that doesn't invalidate that which you are saying is something coming out of lack of patience.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

While you make a solid point(s), the numbers are behind SE.
    It won't fail (again) in my opinion, but similarly to what you said it is just my opinion.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    It is important to keep in mind that a rather addicted casual will play about 3 hours per day, which is 90 hours per month. 

That isn't casual play.  That is closer to the median time played. In other words, your average MMO gamer. Not even addicted.

Casual players are in the 5 to 10 hours per week range.

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

I've been waiting on digital sales to resume as where I live you can't buy the game (in the entire country). Also never played FF Online before. However been a fan of the FF series since FF2.

Reading this makes it a bit depressing to potential new players like myself with the bickering back on forth of if its worth it or not. Is the game going to be one you remember fondly 10 years down the road or think it was a waste of time and another failed MMORPG in a line of failed MMORPGs.

It does seem like the standard consensus though with those complaining that leveling should be much much much slower. Gear should be rarer or least a few spots should be mostly reserved for crafted only. Crafting should be horrendously expensive and time consuming so not everyone is a crafter and only those who wanted to dedicate huge sums of money and time could manage it. That or maybe make crafting much more limited based on specific factors that aren't easy to reach.

Makes me remember EQ1 classic (which I loved of course) where leveling a later level could take a week or 2 easily. You could lose experience from dieing and even lose levels which was common in a bad group. 1 bad group for a few hours could cost you days of grinding exp. 1 bad raid and you could be severely hurting. Crafting was expensive especially such like Jewelry and only enchanters could really be proper jewelers. It took a fortune to get high enough so you could make a back your money and another fortune on top of that.

Yet today do people want to spend 3-7 days per level for the last half of the levels? Do people want crafting to be insanely expensive and time consuming only a few dedicated will do it so those few dedicated can make loads off of others? Do people want to lose experience or even lose their corpse/gear requiring a corpse run again... and losing levels?

I personally would be all for that in a modern graphics MMO. I'd probably love it. But the majority however don't want that, its sadly no longer a hardcore gamer's world in MMORPGs were once we ruled and today we,just flip around because us hardcore players can't find something to keep going at.

The secret everyone knows but doesn't mention about us hardcore gamers. We do have an EGO myself included. We like feeling ahead of everyone else, that our time and skill even at times puts us ahead of the game in a serious way. That we can do things the *casuals* can't. But the truth is it isn't going to be that way again. IF a game was created to do that it could do very well... but it will never rake in the huge $$$ that MMORPG developers and publishers are wanting. It takes a set of old school game devs and publisher who is more focused on a great hardcore game rather then money.

In other news I really hope this can keep me for a few months at least when digi sales resume. I was a huge fan and player in old school MMORPGs from UO, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, WoW classic. Since then I haven't seen any game or expansion I'd consider top notch. Sad to say the wow craze after classic killed it all and changed our genre.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Dungeons, quest, and mobs CANNOT drop gear if you expect to have a viable crafting economy. It just does not work. They have to give something else.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Not sure that the game will fail but it won't suprise me to see the numbers drop significantly after the first few months . Personally I'm only lvl37 In one class and I'm bored already, fate grinds are just a mass Zerg, quests are pretty standard kill and fetch and have become pretty boring so I'm not even gonna bother subbing once my free time ends. Shame because the game looks great it just seems to be missing that wow factor that keeps me wanting to play.
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Syanis

Sad to say the wow craze after classic killed it all and changed our genre.

Easy to blame it on WoW, but the reality is that most of us hardcore players have grown up, have careers (instead of jobs), have families, have other interests and a circle of friends outside of gaming. My ego is still there, it's just that it is no longer satisfied by moving meaningless pixels around on a computer. Rather, real world accomplishments are what matter. Games are but a distraction.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    Originally posted by Syanis

Sad to say the wow craze after classic killed it all and changed our genre.

Easy to blame it on WoW, but the reality is that most of us hardcore players have grown up, have careers (instead of jobs), have families, have other interests and a circle of friends outside of gaming. My ego is still there, it's just that it is no longer satisfied by moving meaningless pixels around on a computer. Rather, real world accomplishments are what matter. Games are but a distraction.

Why comment then? If games are but a distraction, then design issues must be just that much more insignificant. If you don't play that much, or with any intensity, then you can't really be that invested in the discussion. 

Syanis is correct imo.  

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

Originally posted by bcbully
    Dungeons, quest, and mobs CANNOT drop gear if you expect to have a viable crafting economy. It just does not work. They have to give something else.

Not true, they can but such needs to be limited. Quests should only offer a gear reward at end of like a long chain. Mobs shouldn't drop random gear but like dungeon boss's drop stuff. This leaves many gaps for crafted to fit in. Lets say you have 15 slots for gear total in whatever game you have half of those slots at any level reserved more for crafted stuff. You can also make certain desired stats only available through crafted items. But this means someone either has to craft themselves or be willing to buy off of a crafter. But the games these days don't want to force people into needing either craft or buy off a crafter.

Originally posted by Drakephire

Yes we have grown up and moved up in the world. But we still want the same sorts of things we wanted before. We are not the same type of gamer's today's younger generation is. In were from a generation when gaming was much more skill and thinking based and not just cool graphics and animations with quick rewards. But we still want ingame accomplishments while we divide our time more between RL and game life. But yes, much of the change in MMORPGs from the developers end is on WoW's shoulders. They are the ones who changed the genre to increase profit and pick up casual kiddies (plenty of hardcore young players out there).

• cherubimscherubims Member Posts: 2

Ok , firstly i would like to share my experience as a lv 50 dragoon in ffxiv ARR, and would like to point out a few inconsistencies with the OP's discussion thus far.

1. OP has NOT completed the main storyline.

Ok people this info ALONE says a LOT!.

Basically it goes like this , 6 of the end game raids and bosses are LOCKED unless u complete the main story.  So the point of OP stating that the game is "Lacking" is absolutely rubbish. Not to mention the new Grad company quest that leads to a new promotion of rank are completely missed.

2. Relic weapon.

This is a super rare and extremely hard weapon to get / acquire , the skills used to make it and the bosses to beat make it a very hard and rewarding thing to acquire , ( will take weeks if not months for some ).

3. +1 Artifact gear and Darklight armour

At the real end game ( which OP seems to hae missed by not completing main story ) , you get acquainted with new vendors that sell u very rare and powerful gear , which cost tomes ( philosophy and Mythology ) . One of which is locked at 300 per week.

The armour unfortunately requires  atleast a minimum of 375 tomes , ranging up to 800+ . This will take an average gamer 3- 6 MONTHS! to acquire the gear , depending on how frequently he completes the dungeons ( diffrent dungeons drop diffrent amounts of the tomes , rewards for completing it successfully.

4. Diffrent classes

FFxiv ARR has a very nice system where diffrent classes can use cross skills from others , so if ur a lv 50 lancer u can use the skills from a lv 50 conjurer , making it very versatile , if u really want to be powerful , u would do well to level up as many classes as possible.

5. Upcomming content

There are some major update comming for FFxivARR , such as PVP , housing , gold saucer ( Chocobo breeding and racing FTW! ) , the crystal tower , Ishgard , new primals to fight , expansions etc etc .

SO to say that the game has very little staying power is kind of selling it short.

Cheers loving it so far and am hooked.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by cherubims

Ok , firstly i would like to share my experience as a lv 50 dragoon in ffxiv ARR, and would like to point out a few inconsistencies with the OP's discussion thus far.

1. OP has NOT completed the main storyline.

Ok people this info ALONE says a LOT!.

Basically it goes like this , 6 of the end game raids and bosses are LOCKED unless u complete the main story.  So the point of OP stating that the game is "Lacking" is absolutely rubbish. Not to mention the new Grad company quest that leads to a new promotion of rank are completely missed.

2. Relic weapon.

This is a super rare and extremely hard weapon to get / acquire , the skills used to make it and the bosses to beat make it a very hard and rewarding thing to acquire , ( will take weeks if not months for some ).

3. +1 Artifact gear and Darklight armour

At the real end game ( which OP seems to hae missed by not completing main story ) , you get acquainted with new vendors that sell u very rare and powerful gear , which cost tomes ( philosophy and Mythology ) . One of which is locked at 300 per week.

The armour unfortunately requires  atleast a minimum of 375 tomes , ranging up to 800+ . This will take an average gamer 3- 6 MONTHS! to acquire the gear , depending on how frequently he completes the dungeons ( diffrent dungeons drop diffrent amounts of the tomes , rewards for completing it successfully.

4. Diffrent classes

FFxiv ARR has a very nice system where diffrent classes can use cross skills from others , so if ur a lv 50 lancer u can use the skills from a lv 50 conjurer , making it very versatile , if u really want to be powerful , u would do well to level up as many classes as possible.

5. Upcomming content

There are some major update comming for FFxivARR , such as PVP , housing , gold saucer ( Chocobo breeding and racing FTW! ) , the crystal tower , Ishgard , new primals to fight , expansions etc etc .

SO to say that the game has very little staying power is kind of selling it short.

Cheers loving it so far and am hooked.

Well said.

So many People are currently racing to the cap like mad by zerging FATE's day and night, skipping all the quests and totally forgetting about the Main storyline that unlocks Critical content!

They are completely clueless, don't bother to read up on the game and then start complaining there is no content!

It's hilarious and extremely sad at the same time.

I have been playing pretty hardcore (for my doing) the last 2 weeks and currently have two chars at lvl26. One Gladiator and one Lancer. And having a blast.

Still have to Reach 30, have to Level up conjuror to at least lvl15 on my Gladiator to unlock the quest for Paladin job, do the Companion quest and Level up that.... Do some crafting, etc, etc.

So much Things to do and more to come With patch 2.1, like housing.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

get a life op.

Even with fates and leves, you made it sound like everyone can have a lvl50 job and a lvl50 craft/gather in a matter of few days which is simply not true. Not for people with a job and real life.

You burn yrself out and run out of EASY TASKS to do and complain this game has not enough content when u lack the patience and determination to run the hardest dungeons or acquire the best items.

Take a break, go play other games and come back again. Making contents need time.

This game isnt going to fail instead i can see FFXIV being the dominating mmo along with wildstar next year. Nothing else comes close to the quality and polish and freshness of these games.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Well thought out OP but I do not agree.

Infact I enjoy how they have done things, I have just turned my hand to gathering and find it refereshing 1) That nodes are personal and 2) How deep and engaging the system it.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    I do not agree with the OP.  I do not think the vast majority of people have even it 50 yet.  Let alone multiple classes at 50.
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    I do not agree with the OP.  I do not think the vast majority of people have even it 50 yet.  Let alone multiple classes at 50.

That's why these topics always crack me up. It's always a pure personal point of view, but they always think they can make it look more important by blowing Things out of proportion by including the tagline "The Majority....".

Sure this game has a bit more Level 50's already on the Legacy servers, because characters have been copied over from Version 1.0.

But lot's of Legacy players, me included, have started fresh With New characters to enjoy the New game and storyline With a fresh New character, because so much has changed!

But like someone else already pointed out, the OP is likely one of the many who have raced to the cap like mad by zerging FATE's day and night and not even bothered finishing the Story line and so didn't even unlock most of the Dungeons this game has! /Shrug

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

To the OP and all the other people who have recently gotten 50....

you say you've done all the content. I find that hard to believe because with only one 50 battle job you are kind of gimping yourself.

All content? So you've completed all the hard mode primals including titan? You've beaten all the turns in the binding coil? you've gotten your relics? you've gotten your relics +1 and AF +1? I find it hard to believe.

In all fairness though the game does become a grind at the end...but to say you have nothing left to do is just a blatant lie.

Originally posted by kaludytk

you say you've done all the content. I find that hard to believe because with only one 50 battle job you are kind of gimping yourself.

All content? So you've completed all the hard mode primals including titan? You've beaten all the turns in the binding coil? you've gotten your relics? you've gotten your relics +1 and AF +1? I find it hard to believe.

In all fairness though the game does become a grind at the end...but to say you have nothing left to do is just a blatant lie.

He hasn't even bothered, like so many other ragers, to Complete the Main storyline yet. So he can't even do what you meant, because he hasn't unlocked anything.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by JeroKane

He hasn't even bothered, like so many other ragers, to Complete the Main storyline yet. So he can't even do what you meant, because he hasn't unlocked anything.

Good point. didnt read far enough.

well if he doesnt quit now he will quit from raging on wiping to hard modes, chimera and hydra. most likely.. lol. (in pugs at least)

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

lvl 50 BSM and lvl 40 paladin, non-legacy

I am definitely subbing for months to come. Even at lvl 50 as a BSM i still have so much to do. i just spent the last 5 hrs running around advertising my trade,doing melds and crafts for people, making friends and connections along the way. i've been making money in the marketplace ever since lvl 20 and i am making even more money now, even with the ever increasing amount of cutthroat competition. if you treat crafting as just "something to just get over" then you are not going to make money or make it as a crafter. its not something that you become rich at just cuz u hit max level, its something that pays off if you put work into it and actually care about the market and the trade.   

i believe the game will succeed because the game promotes a community that is very social and interactive. content locusts will never understand this because they all keep to their own guild as they power through the game without even once thinking that there are other people around them. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Originally posted by JeroKane

Good point. didnt read far enough.

well if he doesnt quit now he will quit from raging on wiping to hard modes, chimera and hydra. most likely.. lol. (in pugs at least)

It's just sad what a lot of gamers have become. Cattle that runs behind eachother. If someone is showing that zerging FATE's is the fastest way to powerlevel to the levelcap..... everyone else follows and does the same thing.

I see it in chat every day, People asking how they can enter a specific Dungeon or why they cannot find nor enter that Dungeon.... simply because they blindly join the FATE zerg and ignore all the quests, but most importantly the Main Storyline!

People are spamming for FATE Groups day and night in /shout and so only making the problem worse. As the clueless blindly join in on it and think that's the way to go in this game.

PS. I am not talking about People leveling up several jobs at a time and using FATE's for it, because they already leveled up 2 or more classes, finished the main storyline and ran out of quests.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Imho the OP has some points but we differ way about the playstyle - i want to do every Quest and do all the Story and tend to ignore FATEs most of the time.
    If i stumble upon a FATE that fits my Level i participate but i dont run for them on "dinging" the bell.

Leveling is to quick in any and all of the modern MMOrpgs i know!
    Economy/Crafting is not working in any and all of the modern MMOrpgs i know!
    Staying Power is lacking in any and all of the modern MMOrpgs i know!

FF14 ARR will have content for many more months (i guess at least 6 months for me) and if i reach the point i have seen all and done all i will decide what to do.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Cymdai
    For the record, I want to make sure people understand that I have completed the content there is to complete; my storyline is essentially finished, and I did all the quests in between. It's easier to go faster when you've done the first 30 levels of the game like 6 times in the betas, and read all the dialogue before, etc. So I hope people realize I'm not skimping out on the content, but rather, there just isn't enough content to take up the time.

This tells a lot !!! ..................." done the first 30 levels 6 times in betas "......The OP is both smart and OBSESSIVE.

Unfortunately we have a lot of players like this as of the past few years. I'm older than most of you. When I was younger, people like this had become Doctors or lawyers, now they sit home and play video games.

At this gym I belong to, we have this twenty year old kid. Possibly the smartest person I had ever met. He just started pre-med and tells of the difficulties involved almost to the point that he feels like a nothing, its so hard. Other than the gym, his life is consumed. BUT AT LEAST IN THE END IT WILL PAY OFF !.....What will video games do for you ?

I love mmos, been playing for years, but sometimes reality hits and I know taking it to extreme isn't right. But at least I'm established in a field of work.

For me :

I'll allow myself to really indulge for a week, then go casual. Everything after that in life will contnue to come first. Even indulging for a week is not normal. But Hay, I love mmos too !

About FF14 :

Its about mid pace between old school and the other crap that has been handed to us in the last few years. I'm enjoying the journey as a level 32 White Mage playing two or three hours every few days.

It's Friday.  I'll get out of work early, cut the grass, looking fwd to going to an all-you-can-eat, come home and play for two hours.....Thats my day !