Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has been your favorite MMO?

Comments

• ilovespoonsilovespoons Member UncommonPosts: 46

PLAY TO CRUSH!!!

Shadowbane, oh I miss you.

• GrimshadyGrimshady Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Star Wars Galaxies
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Helleri

Runescape and I have 3 great reasons...But, I am going to digress a bit. And, there is a point to it that leads into the reasons Runescape is my Favorite MMORPG. So, please bare with it.

I once read a book on Chinese cooking (I like to cook and like learning about new ways of cooking). The author starts out the book by saying that Chinese is incomparable to any other system of cooking. I thought this was a rather bold, and egotistic statement...Until the author explains that he is not saying it in manner that is meant to express that Chinese cooking is better then other systems just that you quite literately can not fairly compare it to anything else because it is not quite like anything else. He goes onto say exemplify this with simple contrasting forks/chop sticks, flat pan/wok, cooked in it's own juices and oil at low temperatures for long periods of time/ Juices evaporated with almost no lubricant at extremely high temperatures very rapidly.

And, I thought about it, as I kept reading the these, and the author was right. Chinese cooking has methods and tools all it's own. That simply make the comparison to other traditions, at very least, extremely difficult to make. Because, it naturally contrasts that which is around it.

Which brings me to my first reason.

1) Runescape is not quite like anything else.

While you will find features it possesses in other games. And, while runescape may take a same or similar approach in some of its aspects that you see in other games. these are small singular instances of comparison. You will find no sets of features in such a way or combination that you can come close to evenly fairly saying 'I have played a few games that were a lot like this". It is a clone of nothing, And nothing comes close to cloning it. The number one comment I can recall having heard from people who have tried runescape is not that it is bad or good. Just that it is "very different". I have had good friends on their over the last 12-13 years that have ventured off to try and find other games like runescape and they always come back and say the same thing when asked..."It doesn't exist. There is no other game like Runescape."

2) Freedom. I am locked into nothing on Runescape.

If I don't like my hair, skin color, name, faction affiliation (even to have no affiliation at all) or just want to change genders. I just do it. It costs me nothing and I am not penalized for it. If my server is laggy or I feel I can get something done better on another server. I just go to the worlds list and switch. That simple. If I want to just roam and explore and find new places and content I have not seen before I just do it. If I want to set down the staff or wand and pick up a shield and sword or 2h or something else i just do it. Yes, there are requirements to do things. But, I am not channeled a long a path that is like an airstream from the start to the end-game. I run into reasonable obstacles that I have to find out how to over come. It's big and it's open and every game space of it is dripping with deep content, for me to discover at my own pace and along a path of my choosing.

3) Something for every one.

It doesn't really matter what you like to do in a game. We got that. Do you just like playing the market and getting rich? Are you a mini game or distraction and diversions fanatic? Do you like to roleplay? All you want to do is kill monsters? All you want to do is kill players? maybe your a mad skiller and want to be able to make just about anything that there is to be made? Perhaps you love lore or epic adventures that will take you to places you had not conceived of existing just below your feet or right above your head? That and more....its all there. There is just no end to the new content. No stop to the development of greater depth and diversity.

I know exactly what you mean here, about Runescape.   And I always ask myself the same question each time.

Why can't this game be made into a AAA MMO?  Simply with updated graphics, the mechanics of that amazing gameplay are already in place!   It boggles my mind when I think of this game and then look at most MMO's that are out there right now.  Pretty much blows each and every one away in terms of varied and interesting gameplay.

It has to happen someday doesn't it? 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• alternativedalternatived Member Posts: 3

City of heroes to me is still the best super hero mmorpg ever made .

since its ending I have tried many games  even DCUO and CO  both have some merits but were both lacking in game  long term appeal.

why are there no super hero themes out there ?

there is a market for this type of game

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Selo

I think this topic shows up once a day :P

People that say WoW are to young to have experianced the older mmos.

DaoC, without question, are the best for me, followed by EQ, UO and Lotro. LotrO becouse of the great community and friends i still have there.

In the end, i think most will say the game where they made the most friends and had the best community.

Which is strange, since most developers nowadays tend to move away from sozialising and making good communities and instead focus on "minding your own business"  soloing of all content. Heck in TESO you even get rewarded for soloing and penalized for grouping by getting less loot.

I know it's been up before for sure, but the people who come here, as well as the opinions of those who are already here, can change.  So it's a fun topic to update every once in a while.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    The list of games is way too small and is missing hit titles. I've devoted 8 years of my life on Lineage 2 alone. Although my favorite MMO right now is Guild Wars 2. It's by far the best I've ever played and I've played a lot. TSW is a good MMO in my opinion buut it's on 3rd place for me after Lineage 2. Nice missions, poor UI and combat :/ 
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

Originally posted by jesad
    Along the same theme as my "What was your favorite quest" string, what, so far, has been your favorite MMORPG?  You don't have to justify it (because there is always going to be someone who is going to say it sucked anyway) just be honest.

If you want to add why you can be my guest.

Mine was City of Heroes.  My reasoning?  Simply because comics was my thing before computers and it was the first time I got to do both things at the same time.  Who cared if it was good? LOL  I stalked that thing from the first time I heard about it, which was years before it was ever made, until the day it came out.  It inspired me to roleplay, to make movies, and write fan fiction, and to me, if a game gets you like that, then that's a good game!  I had not been nearly as inspired before and not nearly as inspired since.

What was/is your all time favorite?

Gotta say, Asheron's Call, even Asheron's Call 2 because of teh allegiance I played with was THE game for me. Could describe everything, but i'd only scratch the surface. So good it still creates a whopping amount of nostalgia.

P.S. SWG is an even contender with AC tbh.

I agree ac 1 is one of the games of all time

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Planetside 1 (if you want to count that as an mmorpg)
  • TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Selo

I think this topic shows up once a day :P

People that say WoW are to young to have experianced the older mmos.

DaoC, without question, are the best for me, followed by EQ, UO and Lotro. LotrO becouse of the great community and friends i still have there.

In the end, i think most will say the game where they made the most friends and had the best community.

Which is strange, since most developers nowadays tend to move away from sozialising and making good communities and instead focus on "minding your own business"  soloing of all content. Heck in TESO you even get rewarded for soloing and penalized for grouping by getting less loot.

If WoW was their favorite, that's not a bad thing. It was the first MMORPG I played (yes, young'in) and it got me hooked into the genre. It was a good game, I played retail for about a year before switching to private servers. Oddly, the game was leagues better when you found the right private server and had friends to play with. I still have fond memories of KaosKrusade, a server that Blizzard shut down very quick and took no ideas from. Quite sad really, Alterac Valley RvR was fantastic.

WAR was my favorite though. I didn't play DAoC during it's heyday, so WAR's RvR was the first taste that I got and it was incredible. Combined with the IP and great community, it was a fantastic gaming experience.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    EVE online as my favorite MMO with a rather distant second being vanilla GW1 (never got any expansions for it).

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by Helleri

Runescape and I have 3 great reasons...But, I am going to digress a bit. And, there is a point to it that leads into the reasons Runescape is my Favorite MMORPG. So, please bare with it.

I once read a book on Chinese cooking (I like to cook and like learning about new ways of cooking). The author starts out the book by saying that Chinese is incomparable to any other system of cooking. I thought this was a rather bold, and egotistic statement...Until the author explains that he is not saying it in manner that is meant to express that Chinese cooking is better then other systems just that you quite literately can not fairly compare it to anything else because it is not quite like anything else. He goes onto say exemplify this with simple contrasting forks/chop sticks, flat pan/wok, cooked in it's own juices and oil at low temperatures for long periods of time/ Juices evaporated with almost no lubricant at extremely high temperatures very rapidly.

And, I thought about it, as I kept reading the these, and the author was right. Chinese cooking has methods and tools all it's own. That simply make the comparison to other traditions, at very least, extremely difficult to make. Because, it naturally contrasts that which is around it.

Which brings me to my first reason.

1) Runescape is not quite like anything else.

While you will find features it possesses in other games. And, while runescape may take a same or similar approach in some of its aspects that you see in other games. these are small singular instances of comparison. You will find no sets of features in such a way or combination that you can come close to evenly fairly saying 'I have played a few games that were a lot like this". It is a clone of nothing, And nothing comes close to cloning it. The number one comment I can recall having heard from people who have tried runescape is not that it is bad or good. Just that it is "very different". I have had good friends on their over the last 12-13 years that have ventured off to try and find other games like runescape and they always come back and say the same thing when asked..."It doesn't exist. There is no other game like Runescape."

2) Freedom. I am locked into nothing on Runescape.

If I don't like my hair, skin color, name, faction affiliation (even to have no affiliation at all) or just want to change genders. I just do it. It costs me nothing and I am not penalized for it. If my server is laggy or I feel I can get something done better on another server. I just go to the worlds list and switch. That simple. If I want to just roam and explore and find new places and content I have not seen before I just do it. If I want to set down the staff or wand and pick up a shield and sword or 2h or something else i just do it. Yes, there are requirements to do things. But, I am not channeled a long a path that is like an airstream from the start to the end-game. I run into reasonable obstacles that I have to find out how to over come. It's big and it's open and every game space of it is dripping with deep content, for me to discover at my own pace and along a path of my choosing.

3) Something for every one.

It doesn't really matter what you like to do in a game. We got that. Do you just like playing the market and getting rich? Are you a mini game or distraction and diversions fanatic? Do you like to roleplay? All you want to do is kill monsters? All you want to do is kill players? maybe your a mad skiller and want to be able to make just about anything that there is to be made? Perhaps you love lore or epic adventures that will take you to places you had not conceived of existing just below your feet or right above your head? That and more....its all there. There is just no end to the new content. No stop to the development of greater depth and diversity.

I know exactly what you mean here, about Runescape.   And I always ask myself the same question each time.

Why can't this game be made into a AAA MMO?  Simply with updated graphics, the mechanics of that amazing gameplay are already in place!   It boggles my mind when I think of this game and then look at most MMO's that are out there right now.  Pretty much blows each and every one away in terms of varied and interesting gameplay.

It has to happen someday doesn't it? 

Have you seen it recently?

Here is a pick of my character, blaze hound in tail, in Taverly - one of the more recently revamped areas- just after killing a troll who was photo bombing me (I mean an actual troll, not another player, PvP is restricted to PvP areas).

This is in the HTML5 Open beta (which free players and members alike may now access). I have graphics turned all the way up for this pic...

And, even the java version -shown below- is not as bad any more (for which both the browser and downloaded applet version of are live with the HTML5 Beta).

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Tally marker.  Totals updated in original post.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Of course, WoW.
  • Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Ultima Online
  • AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Age of Conan. the combat, the mature setting and the gritty world. i love it:)
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

WoW -  I haven't played it since mid-way in WOTLK (started Vanilla), but I have fond memories of it playing with my friends. I  played Warcraft 2 in 14.4kbps modem-to-modem games with those same set of friends back in 4th grade. We came to WoW as fans of Warcraft and enjoyed the game to that degree.

My friends has since then outgrown gaming altogether. It's rather ironic that despite not having played it for so long and with no intention of playing it again, I would still place it as my favorite. To hell with the (select) toxic community and the silly politics around "how the evil Blizzard-Activision has changed" - my friends and I simply had genuine fun playing together and that was all that mattered. :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Have to go with SWG - PreCU, as being my favourite all time MMO, i've played many since then, but its the only game i would play in favour of anything else on the market, even FF XIV, which is my 'current' favourite game, which i've even stopped playing Eve for, which was also a bit 'unexpected' despite all the problems that surrounded the launch of FF XIV, is turning out to be something of a phenomena, really curious as to how popular this game will become.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I would have to split my vote for DAOC as best PvP + Leveling game and SWG as best Virtual World game but if i cant i vote SWG for i like more the Virtual World than PvP + Leveling:

SWG (2003 - 2005)

PS: I really do not understand why never again a game had a good open "Soft Limits Grouppplay" like DAOC had where you could compose Groups of any size and almost any Class (of course some Healer is needed) and go to whatever Content you are able to handle instead of the "modern" "Hard Limits Group Content".
    Why do devs allways tend to shunt the good things?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

WOW of course.

No discussion: everything is in it PVE, PVP.

Too much actually.

Present day re rentering it, but these days D3 hardcore (perma death)  mode beats everything (but not as an mmorpg).

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Well, I have the fondest memories of EQ, but I've spent the most time in WoW.  So EQ for quality, WoW for quantity!

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    For me has to be EQ2, played it from the start  have had several breaks playing most other mmos but always gone back has more depth and I like the way you can lvl guilds the fact you can meet in your guild hall place assesories etc .I had hoped EQN was going to be like eq2 with better graphics the cartoony graphics are not to my liking tho I will give it a go and maybe it will grow on me .
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Star Wars Galaxies. Easily.

I guess I can sum it up like this: I've played a lot of MMOs over the last decade. So have a lot of other people. If I could sit in a large room with every one who played the same games I have... and If we each took the time to talk about the experiences we had with every MMO ... we would all tell the exact same stories... except when we talked about Star Wars Galaxies.

• GeschaeferGeschaefer Member Posts: 117
    Star Wars Galaxies - Pre CU

G.E.Schaefer
    Played: EQ1. EQ2. FFXI. SWG. Aion. WAR. LOTRO. TabulaRasa. Hellgate London. Diablo 1. Diablo II. Diablo 3. STO. WOW. Vanguard. Guild Wars. Rift. Terra. The Secret World. EVE. Guild Wars 2. Firefall. Neverwinter.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Anarchy Online was my favorit for nearly 10 years.

Currently im full on Tera hype ^^

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    UO