Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One game you would reccomend/one game you wouldn't and WHY

FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

My brother in law just got his new comp and asked me the same question this weekend - he was looking to get into a new game and wanted to see what I thought.

I told him to try EVE, because even though it wasn't for me, I thought it was a solid game.

I told him not to try SWTOR, because I was so turned off by its original implementation and its shoddy F2P practices.

I was curious as to what everyone else thought too, because outside of WildStar and TESO I haven't been following PC/MMO gaming development as much recently.

Are there any "hidden gems" that people might have overlooked but are really fun? Is there anything out there that is supposed to be great but really isn't?

Comments

• Dragon43591Dragon43591 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Hey man, First off dont tell him not to play something because that just might be what he turns out to like. secondly show him this website theres nearly every mmo you can think of in this list. let him start at the top and look at and review each one. then give him your opinion but dont turn him away. you could ruin mmos that way for him.
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Most MMORPGs have free trials, just tell him to use those and make up his own mind.

The only games I would NOT recommend (and for a good reason) are those which do not offer some form of free trial... games like Darkfall, for instance. They don't offer a trial because they know their game is substandard and only try to force people to buy in order to try it. Just don't do them that favor, don't feed those failures.

Totally agree here. And in that category add GW2 also, which is a game that will get everyone excited for the first 3-4 days but then for many people the fun goes downhill - guess what's the trial period they are giving at max? One weekend...

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by kinart

Most MMORPGs have free trials, just tell him to use those and make up his own mind.

The only games I would NOT recommend (and for a good reason) are those which do not offer some form of free trial... games like Darkfall, for instance. They don't offer a trial because they know their game is substandard and only try to force people to buy in order to try it. Just don't do them that favor, don't feed those failures.

Totally agree here. And in that category add GW2 also, which is a game that will get everyone excited for the first 3-4 days but then for many people the fun goes downhill - guess what's the trial period they are giving at max? One weekend...

Quite a large amount of people still playing GW 2 and loving the biweekly updates would disagree. Just saying.

I would recommend FFXIV, best MMO to come out in a LONG time. 

I would most definitely not recommend Darkfall, feels like I'm playing a game from the 90's.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Ffxiv:ARR Best themepark mmo since vanilla WoW.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87

Currently I would probably recommend Minecraft (unless they asked about a superhero game).

The MMO I would not recommend The Secret World (TSW).

Why?  Because TSW has useless gameplay, indistinct factions and a setting with too many internal inconsistencies.

• FenliusFenlius Member Posts: 6
    I missed Steam's 50% off sale on The Secret World. The lowest I can find is $26.9 now. The game's rating on this site is overwhelmingly positive. Want to give it a try... just waiting for another big discount.
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

I would echo the sentiment to play the free trials.  Personally, I only take recommendations from trusted sources...which rarely includes anonymous internet posters.

Having said that, I will recommend one game some may not know about: WWII Online.  It's a great indie PVP combined arms MMO simulator. The graphics are a bit aged, but the gameplay makes up for it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Plus Juan

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Games are like clothes.What one person likes another hates.
  • SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53

recommend:

1 Wow.

Solid game with good mechanics and classes. Loads of endgame pvp and pve wise.

2 Rift:

Decent game, less good mechanics every class feels sorta the same. But solid gameplay and endgame. grind heavy though.

3 Defiance.

Awesome game, extremely fun to play. No gear progression though so after you've completed the story quest it seems boring, with nothing to do. Pvp is also quite bad in it.

Not recommended:

1 Eve. Generally boring gameplay. Very grind heavy. Feels pointless after a few days.

2 Guildwars 2. No gear progression, pve combat extremely boring due to lack of actual tactics other than nuke and selfheal. Bad combat.

3 Tera. Fun game to play, extremely good (the best) combat of any mmorpg I've tried. So why wouldn't I recommend it? Persistant ui bug they ignore which causes you to play at around 20% of the actual fps you have without it. The enchanting system is pure bullshit. And the community is horrible. If you have not already completed the endgame dungeons you better have 4 people you know really well who are willing to learn them with you because else you will never ever get them done. Also prepare to spent 3 months grinding for enchanting.  Could be the best game with no contest if not for retardation in the development team.

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Recommend:

1. Guild Wars 2. Updated every half a month with living stories. E-sport PvP where all classes are practically viable. Best community so far in a game. People think that gear doesn't matter, but essentially it's about progress and having badass looks that makes you stand out, both in PvE and PvP.

2. Neverwinter. Very solid gameplay, good graphics, but no open world. Dungeon finder and player made dungeons.

Not recommend:

1. WoW. No E-sports, candy-cutter classes in arenas. Everyone plays the same class setup to win. Outdated graphics (although they are updating the character models in an expansion). Most of the time an anus community.

2. FFXIV. Gameplay is bad, 2.5 sec global cooldown on skills. EU server located in Montreal, Canada. Can wipe because of ping issues. Only thing that's good about it is the graphics. Oh and beware of bad support.

• jfoytekjfoytek Member CommonPosts: 150

Recommend:

1) Wurm Online - Large Sandbox, great crafting, open world pvp

2) Atlantica Online - Its simply different, there are not any other MMO's like it and it has a lot of content + Free 2 play..

3) Pirates of the Burning Sea - Visually beautiful, epic sailing simulator, very enjoyable quest lines (and I normally hate quests) all and all its, its own game not a WoW knock off....

Not Recommend -

1) SWTOR - heavily Instanced- terrible crafting - single player game inside of a chat program

2) Darkfall - Remade game very similar to the original (a better game) fancier graphics brand new subscription fee for the game even though you may have already bought it once...  clunkier less intuitive UI...  Added Safe Zones added grind...

3) Neverwinter - One of many WoW clones, if you want to try WoW then play the real thing its fairly good game been around a long long time....

UO,Shadowbane,SWG,Darkfall,MO,Wurm Online,Secretworld,GW,GW2,PotBS,LotR,Atlantica Online,WWII Online,WoT,Battlestar Galactica,Planetside2,Perpetuum,Fallen Earth,Runescape,WoW,Eve,Xsylon,Dragon Prophet, Salem

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Games are like clothes.What one person likes another hates.

Can't argue taste.

I couldn't get into SWTOR, doesn't mean other can't love it.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• MaurizioMaurizio Member UncommonPosts: 162

Recommendations :

Wurm Online - Full of content, pvp, pve, full world terraforming ( true sandbox). Territory control, kingdom warfare. Muli servers which allows different play styles.

Not Recommend :

Darkfall Unholy Wars - bullshit sandbox, lack of content, only good for twitched style pvp, other then that after the fight is over just log off till someone texts you about more pvp.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

recommended:

Creeeeeper world 3 (possibly released next week?).. well the title just said game, not mmo :).

Dungeon Defenders 1.. bah again not an mmo (defense 3d game, addictive if You are into that type).

Path of Exile.. bigger, better, faster and more awesomer than diablo3 - And one of the few true free to play.

not recommended:

Any current mmo lol.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Recommend: Warframe

A really, really good looking, solid shooter. Very nice multiplayer/coop action, lots of content, skills, "classes", weapons and totally free from Steam.