Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next interview, your questions answered!

Before Gamescom we asked for your questions: here

Hey guys, sorry for the late link to the interview, but it is finally here!

We get to chat with Dave Georgeson, was highly enjoyable!

Subjects covered:

-Water in Everquest Next

-Verticality of Everquest

-Guild made buildings

-Hints at auto locking and ranged combat

-Securing land for your guilds

-The divergent AI, and how Rallying calls will evolve and not get dry

and mucho mucho more!

The interview is at 1h28, but you should listen to the entire show, its awesome and we have some great competitions!

You can download it directly from the site here and click on the episode 157.

Or

you can get it from I-tunes here.

Enjoy!

Comments

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Thanks for the interview.

And especially the rallying calls part was very interesting and clarified quite a lot.

As much as i have heard and understood it, rallying calls will actually a lot more dynamic, with a lot of different outcomes. Now i have the impression, that rallying calls are much more like a warp field above a certain zone, so there any change in this area will now be permanent.. and it may start similar on all servers, but the outcome will be completely different whatever the players do. And.. that it really is not that much scripted, and much more dependent on player action and reaction of the emergent AI system.

I really want to see and to play it.. because i guess we will really understand it, when we actually can play and experience it.

• MionixMionix Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Thx for the interview. Didnt hear this one yet. I'm just hoping the action combat will be good with some good dodging/blocking. I'm tired of tab targeting. Guess we will have to wait for some more details about that.
  • ZolltinZolltin Member Posts: 3
    If you are listening to it JUST for the interview, the start for me was about 1 hr 28 min
  • georgatos7georgatos7 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the effort.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Just want to remind, that when GW2 developers described their DE system, they also hinted at global and permanent changes, influenced by players etc, not unlike what we see here.

And everyone who said "from the looks of it it'll still be circular, with resets and..." were called haters and so on.

Please keep in mind that "what I think they hint at" is always more grand and glorious than "what really is going to be".

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Very cool interview, I hadn't realised that in EQ:N guilds could "import" buildings and stuff...

that would be awesome to secure some land and build a sweet guild complex.

Thanks for posting this!

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Originally posted by Grahor

Just want to remind, that when GW2 developers described their DE system, they also hinted at global and permanent changes, influenced by players etc, not unlike what we see here.

And everyone who said "from the looks of it it'll still be circular, with resets and..." were called haters and so on.

Please keep in mind that "what I think they hint at" is always more grand and glorious than "what really is going to be".

Most of us know that. Some people get carried away with their expectations, but as many posted that they wondering how it would work and expecting some kind of control. I'm guessing that many, many more were quietly thinking the same thing.

The majority have been around long enough to have their eyes open to some degree.

Once upon a time....

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

Thank you.

I find the last question interesting. Georgeson said:  

"Well, I hate to end the Interview with a non answer, but to be honest we haven't made all the final decisions about what you can do. But yea, we want you to able to have (fat or thin characters). We know it is very very important for players to have their own unique appearance, and we are setting everything up so there is a wide variety of not only shapes an sizes for your character but also clothing details, the way you can customize you weapons. Wait until we are telling you about crafting, it is really cool."

this hints that they haven't come very far with the character models jet. It sounds as if they are still more or less in the planning phase. This matches the fact that they keep showing us the same four characters in the same clothing over and over, and that they still ask us about the beards on the female dwarfs.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Agreed Sengi..  I too get the feeling they are still in the concept phase in many parts of the game.. I really can't see this game going live before 2015.. 
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    I have a suspicion that they still don't know exactly what their engine is able to do, so they don't know the limit they should target. *shrug* not an unusual situation, but you don't go from that situation to release in a year or two.
  • Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    I would not be so sure on the speculation that they do not know what their engine is capable of as the reasons why certain things are not finalized yet. The tasks to do those things just might be at a lower priority than many other things.  I believe that the EQN team is working in an agile development setting and I have a feeling that all the different customizations are lower in the backlog and will get finished in later sprints.  They might even be done, but not yet integrated into the build at the time of the interview.  I am actually happy with the way the EQN team is slowly releasing information about certain things, as to me it shows that they are really trying to make sure things are at a certain level before leaking the info.
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

So the games are different Critters.

I think that much had been clear already, at least for me.

"EQ:L is immagination/creativity and exploration oriented"

Better Minecraft kind of thing in my view, a Sandboxy experience.

"EQ:N is a a Fantasy Game" 

In other words, pretty much a Themepark experience, albeit a very evolved one with all the new tech used, to be vary dynamic unlike anything seen up to now and automated. Still, basically Player vs Environment Gameplay.

Thanks for the link, this confirms a bit more my view up to now... nothing to change it yet thought.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by Suraknar

So the games are different Critters.

I think that much had been clear already, at least for me.

"EQ:L is immagination/creativity and exploration oriented"

Better Minecraft kind of thing in my view, a Sandboxy experience.

"EQ:N is a a Fantasy Game" 

In other words, pretty much a Themepark experience, albeit a very evolved one with all the new tech used, to be vary dynamic unlike anything seen up to now and automated. Still, basically Player vs Environment Gameplay.

Thanks for the link, this confirms a bit more my view up to now... nothing to change it yet thought.

I think EQL is more along the lines of a developer toolkit/test environment where users can create stuff  and maybe get it ported over into the EQN game.  I think if you had a guild build a guild complex/town/castle ..... there is a chance it could get added into EQN after some guild unlock/rank/size/cost?  They are two separate things, but connected at the same time.

EQN is not a true sandbox, nor is it a true Themepark, to call it one thing or the other at this point is rather silly. Does it have some themepark elements, sure does but it also has many sandbox elements as well.  Granted if you have a very narrow and limited view of what a sandbox is then to you it is a themepark, but that would only be your opinion based on the information shown so far.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Keep in mind too that SOE just laid off 70+ peeps..  I know Smed tried to downplay it, but that is still not a good sign for any company , nor the games they support..  Trust me, you don't lay off 70 people and not feel it internally.. Plus the mood it puts everyone into that is left behind.. 
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         Keep in mind too that SOE just laid off 70+ peeps..  I know Smed tried to downplay it, but that is still not a good sign for any company , nor the games they support..  Trust me, you don't lay off 70 people and not feel it internally.. Plus the mood it puts everyone into that is left behind.. 

Lots of companies either have or plan to lay off people. It's a sign of the times, and I'll leave it at that since this is a games forum.

Once upon a time....

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

I don’t think there is a reason to say that EQN is not going to be a true sandbox. We haven’t enough information to say how sandboxy it will actually be in the end. At least we know that there won’t be much linear content. I hope they are able to apply the Voxel-farm engine and StoryBricks right. I think there is still a good chance Smedley was right about his “The greatest sandbox of all times”-thing. Of course you won’t be able to build everything you like in EQN. That would be necessary to keep the world consistent. It would kind of break my immersion if there was a spaceship standing around in Norrath.

The people that where fired had nothing to do with EQN as far as i know. In the games business many people are hired related to a project. Maybe SOE didn’t need that at this point. Or maybe they just needed the space in the office to put more people for EQN in there.