Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Nine Recent MMORPG Novels

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the games we play become more and more mainstream, they begin to appear in other places in our lives, literature, for instance. In her latest column, Genese Davis profiles nine new books based in and around the MMO genre. Read on and then let us know what you think in the comments.

Even though to us MMOs are an incredibly popular type of video game, a lot of my co-panelists and audience members were unfamiliar with the term MMORPG. Quite a few book industry big wigs asked me to describe recent MMO-themed novels published within the last decade. So, I set aside virtual reality-themed and older MMO-themed books like Enders Game, Snow Crash, and the Otherland series for a moment, to share the nine most recent novels that I’m familiar with. The following list describes all nine novels from 2004 to present that are explicitly about MMOs or incorporate MMOs heavily into the plot.

Read more Genese Davis: Nine Recent MMORPG Novels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

Nearly every book features a bad corporation or a bad government. It is interesting to see that when MMO's are centre stage the stock themes of modern SciFi have not let us down. :)

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Nothing about aliens, though, so they are missing out on that particular trope. Maybe someone could write a book about an alien invasion, where the alien advance scouts attempt to take over the world's computer infrastructure first. By accident they access an MMO server for "Wildguild of Evercraft Online 2 Next" and confuse it with reality.

Originally posted by ButeoRegalis
    Nothing about aliens, though, so they are missing out on that particular trope. Maybe someone could write a book about an alien invasion, where the alien advance scouts attempt to take over the world's computer infrastructure first. By accident they access an MMO server for "Wildguild of Evercraft Online 2 Next" and confuse it with reality.

To tick all the boxes they would need to be aided by a bad corporation or bad government who thought they could get some advantage out of it, maybe as token rulers of an enslaved earth.

Remember folks those corporations and governments need to be watched or they are going to go bad! Keep watching the skies too!  :)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Wish I'd thought up the idea to do a novel mmorpg where the far away land is an online game. Guess 10 years too late... again. ;)

Actually I really enjoyed reading this summary and advice from the author. Which is considered the best? I know Raph kept on mentioning Ready Player One and the author includes her own work. Which novel splits the worlds ie mmorpg remains recognizably mmorpg? I think it's more relatable if the "other world" remains a computer game  instead of all this extra sensory future tech... for my own preferences. It would take a more interesting descriptive method also?

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    I really should finish a book someday. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    the anime series "lain" will always be my favourite interpretation of an online RPG, which is neat because when Lain was made, they didn't exist...

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

Ready, Player One is one of my favorite books that I have read in the last two years and is probably my favorite vr/cyberpunk books.

• larrypsylarrypsy Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Where's Isaac Asimov........
    Originally posted by larrypsy

Now there is an author who did not need bad governments and corporations or aliens attacking every time he wrote a novel. Not saying he never used them, but he was able to find other issues to drive his stories.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    How is Ender's Game an MMO-themed book?

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Stile_TeckelStile_Teckel Member Posts: 8

*chuckles* I remember playing Ultimate Collector when the "ready player one" part of it hit the game. Was fun (and i did end up with a Lamborghini in my drive way in the game). Great stuff.

I'm more excited about Tracy Hickman writing a novel to go with Shroud of the Avatar. Not only that, if you back the project at a decent enough level you can even get a signed copy. Considering Tracy Hickman's history with both gaming and Novels It's probablly going to be big! 

If you haven't already checked out the game you really should. If you don't want to back the game, you can pre-order wither a digital copy or print copy of the book from the shroudoftheavatar.com store. If you find the information useful please use me as your referral for any of your purchases! [email protected]

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Umm, where did she include Ender's Game?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by Hokie
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Umm, where did she include Ender's Game?

"So, I set aside virtual reality-themed and older MMO-themed books like Enders Game, Snow Crash, and the Otherland series for a moment, to share the nine most recent novels that I’m familiar with."

Try reading the opening paragraph's.....

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Scot
    Originally posted by larrypsy

Now there is an author who did not need bad governments and corporations or aliens attacking every time he wrote a novel. Not saying he never used them, but he was able to find other issues to drive his stories.

Trantor had Imperial government for a very long time, with some bad leaders occasionally, the Mule / Gaia (or Fallom and the solarians) was pretty much alien, and Mule's Empire was built and expanded similarily like mega-corps do :)

But I agree, Asimov was awesome, he's one of my all-time favourites.