Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How far has Guild Wars fallen? Super Boombox? Really?

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I went to fire up the game and login today, and saw the notifications for the latest updates.  I really enjoyed GW1, and to this day, I'm convinced it has much more heart as a fantasy MMO game than this new one.  Guild Wars always had the holiday theme stuff, and I really enjoyed it as a seasonal break from the norm.  There were some cutesy things here and there, but GW2 just seems to be taking this garbage way too far for me.  I know most of you love it, but I just don't want to log in to a fantasy MMORPG and see people walking around with boomboxes and 8-bit video game tunes coming out of it.  

This game has next to nothing for personal character development, even something as simple as being able to go fishing, or customize pets.  Yet the devs are sitting there coding toys like this boombox.

I couldn't do it.  Ultimately I just ended up removing the game today.  Free or not, it's just not a fun fantasy world for me anymore.

What do you guys think?  Does stuff like this Boombox ruin immersion for you, or do you like these kinds of toys in the game?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Different strokes for different folks!  But do tell =)
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I went to fire up the game and login today, and saw the notifications for the latest updates.  I really enjoyed GW1, and to this day, I'm convinced it has much more heart as a fantasy MMO game than this new one.  Guild Wars always had the holiday theme stuff, and I really enjoyed it as a seasonal break from the norm.  There were some cutesy things here and there, but GW2 just seems to be taking this garbage way too far for me.  I know most of you love it, but I just don't want to log in to a fantasy MMORPG and see people walking around with boomboxes and 8-bit video game tunes coming out of it.  

This game has next to nothing for personal character development, even something as simple as being able to go fishing, or customize pets.  Yet the devs are sitting there coding toys like this boombox.

I couldn't do it.  Ultimately I just ended up removing the game today.  Free or not, it's just not a fun fantasy world for me anymore.

What do you guys think?  Does stuff like this Boombox ruin immersion for you, or do you like these kinds of toys in the game?

I stopped playing GW2 after I realized all the content being released is just fluff and has very little meaning. Seriously, endgame is a battle to be the most fashionable living being in Tyria. GW2 is a joke compared to the original Guild Wars. A sad, sad joke.

Smile

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685

This is the same company that wouldn't let us wear town clothes in battle or make wild costumes or whatever else because it would break the immersion.

....frankly I think I would have preferred being able to whack mobs as a chef or in a sailor fuku to these boomboxes, though I suppose others might disagree.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar

This is the same company that wouldn't let us wear town clothes in battle or make wild costumes or whatever else because it would break the immersion.

....frankly I think I would have preferred being able to whack mobs as a chef or in a sailor fuku to these boomboxes, though I suppose others might disagree.

The way things are going, you will probably get that ability sooner or later.  I mean where's the limit when you have something like this boombox in the game?  Might as well go all the way.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

I have to agree. There really isnt any real character development. I use to like GW2 and played allot in the beginning. I just feel like my character is running around aimlessly with no real purpose. And stuff like the boombox, pictured below, does break immersion. Leave real life modern objects out of the game world.  No depth to lore, or at least not promoted well within the game. If you really want the lore you need to read the novels or read other tidbits on blog sites/wikki. The only thing that it has going for it is the combat.  But, thats just my opinion and I am sure many others enjoy for what it is.

Originally posted by elitero
    [mod edit]

No, it's a serious question about immersion and toys in a game like this.  Some of us rather like the idea of escaping to a fantasy world and having some level of immersion in that world. It's not hard to imagine a lot of other toys like this going into the game.

I sometimes wonder if anyone even experiences immersion in these games anymore.  I miss it because it greatly enhances the experience.

Originally posted by Falcomith

I have to agree. There really isnt any real character development. I use to like GW2 and played allot in the beginning. I just feel like my character is running around aimlessly with no real purpose. And stuff like the boombox, pictured below, does break immersion. Leave real life modern objects out of the game world.  No depth to lore, or at least not promoted well within the game. If you really want the lore you need to read the novels or read other tidbits on blog sites/wikki. The only thing that it has going for it is the combat.  But, thats just my opinion and I am sure many others enjoy for what it is.

Obviously Asura Lore is a myth to this one. =/

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I agree with the OP.  I'm not saying that there should be no merry-making or humor.  That doesn't break immersion because every time period and culture has that.  I just want to have one serious game out there.  I'm hoping TESO may be like that.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Asura lore created boomboxes? ArenaNet is really stretching it there...

Smile

Really?  Asura lore includes 8-bit mario brothers style music coming out of a "boombox"?  Citation please.

Really?  Asura lore includes 8-bit mario brothers style music coming out of a "boombox"?  Citation please.

So what you are saying with all that knowledge they have they are not allowed to listen to music out a boombox may it be 8bit. shit lol didnt know that.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Asura have lasers, robots, battle suits, teleportation devices and holograms. They had all of them in GW1, too. Why wouldn't they have boomboxes?

Instead of letting out hot air, maybe post a snippet of lore where they create boomboxes for music. Oh wait....There isnt any because its a fluff item.

Originally posted by Scalpless
    Asura have lasers, robots, battle suits, teleportation devices and holograms. They had all of them in GW1, too. Why wouldn't they have boomboxes?

You guys are reaching.  Would the Asura, should they invent the boombox, put this music in it?  You can make all the lore excuses you want, but it's really just a toy prop, and an annoying one at that.

Instead of letting out hot air, maybe post a snippet of lore where they create boomboxes for music. Oh wait....There isnt any because its a fluff item.

I guess it should be added that "hey anet some idiots cant tie in a device that can play music too all the futuristic lore that the Asura have, please add something where it shows a music device is made by the asuras".

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it's just a fun item reward for their back to school event.  I don't particularly care for stuff like this.  but,  it doesn't break my immersion.  speaking of immersion,  how do mini-pets fit into this games lore?  what explains the 3ft queen jenna following people around?  if anything map chat is more immersion breaking than any "fun" vanity item they add.
    Originally posted by muffins89
    it's just a fun item reward for their back to school event.  I don't particularly care for stuff like this.  but,  it doesn't break my immersion.  speaking of immersion,  how do mini-pets fit into this games lore?  what explains the 3ft queen jenna following people around?  if anything map chat is more immersion breaking than any "fun" vanity item they add.

Yeah, I understand the pets thing.  I don't think they are all that great either, really.  I guess for me it's about limits.  There are so many other things they could develop for people to enjoy in this world, so many places individual characters could be developed.  I just find fluff like this to be ludicrous, and it shows that their main concern is putting garbage in the store for people to buy.

Originally posted by muffins89

Mini-Pets like the queen, you hit spot on. I can see small animals, maybe even a asura mini golem. But some of the stuff is just way out there. I rather see Anet focus more on improving the game, making it feel like your character belongs and has purpose, rather than work on silly fluff items. Make me want to care more of whats going on around me.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

You guys are reaching.  Would the Asura, should they invent the boombox, put this music in it?  You can make all the lore excuses you want, but it's really just a toy prop, and an annoying one at that.

Would the race of quirky, borderline crazy inventors put weird music in their boombox? Yes, they probably would.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I bought the game expecting world class server vs server (WvW) conflict.

i stopped playing when I discovered the devs had no concept of what world class faction warfare was.

(currently not playing any mmog)

• ZagaZaga Member Posts: 23

Yes, they would. Silly crap which I hate has taken over GW lore, I agree with you there... but this has been hapenning since the introduction of the Asura in GW1. Just look at the character creation options for Asura in GW2 - "your greatest invention was... a personal butler robot" (which probably did something else stupid, I forget).

The issues you point out are not new or a consequence of the boombox... The stupidization (IMHO) of GW lore is a few years old and not many people seem to care as much as we do.

• I understand that people may hate WvW or living story or combat or lore etc.[mod edit]  Asuras can make robots, use beams, create holograms etc. but no they can't use boomboxes... Really!? Seriously that's your excuse for hating a game? God...

• Originally posted by Zaga

Originally posted by Scalpless Asura have lasers, robots, battle suits, teleportation devices and holograms. They had all of them in GW1, too. Why wouldn't they have boomboxes?
    Yes, they would. Silly crap which I hate has taken over GW lore, I agree with you there... but this has been hapenning since the introduction of the Asura in GW1. Just look at the character creation options for Asura in GW2 - "your greatest invention was... a personal butler robot" (which probably did something else stupid, I forget).

The issues you point out are not new or a consequence of the boombox... The stupidization (IMHO) of GW lore is a few years old and not many people seem to care as much as we do.

It isn't about care the lore. I'm playing Guild Wars since 2008. And I love Guild Wars. Trust me I care the lore maybe more than you. But this is about matter of taste. I like asuras.I love their lore. I love their "personal butler robot". Sorry but everyone is not like you.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

I understand that people may hate WvW or living story or combat or lore etc. [mod edit]. Asuras can make robots, use beams, create holograms etc. but no they can't use boomboxes... Really!? Seriously that's your excuse for hating a game? God...

I think you are over exaggerating anyone hating the game. Some are just speaking there mind about the fluff added that seems, in there opinion to break immersion. You cant tell me you like every aspect of every game you play.