Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: PvP 'Shut Off' for the Time Being

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a post by Red 5's Mark Kern on the official Firefall forums, PvP has been taken out of the game for the time being. The team indicates that PvP wasn't attracting enough players and that it needs to be tabled and overhauled.

Dear Firefall Fans:

As you know, Firefall started with PvP. We have gone through several iterations, and for some time, pursued the controversial e-Sports route. As many of you know, its not working very well. Our last big attempt was a pure PvP eSports mode, Jetball. While very fun, its a high skill game and doesn't attract many of our players (less than 3% PvP in Firefall).

Also, PvP has suffered as our focus has had to focus on the popular PvE part of our game. People want more content, fewer bugs, and more polish on these world systems. For these reasons, we have made the tough decision to suspend PvP and take the system offline so that we can rethink it and relaunch it. PvP is an important part of our game, and we want to get it right. 

So we’re going to regroup, rethink, and deliver the best PvP system we can that can be enjoyed by everyone. We don’t have a timetable for this, but at some near future point we will shut off the PvP aspect of the game, which we feel does not represent Firefall at its best, and relaunch that part of the game when its ready. 

Thank you for your understanding. We only want to deliver the best experience that entertains all of our players, and we feel that by taking the time to completely rethink our PvP and re-implement it to the highest standards, we can do much better.

- Mark Kern

CEO, Chief Creative Officer, Red 5 Studios

Thanks, Dakirm, for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I was on the fence for this game waiting for more reviews, but all I do is pvp. So this makes the decision easy for me.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I've always played Firefall as PvE game and can't really see it as a PvP game. But the PvE side is quite good currently, though I would like to see much more content for it. Right now it get's repetitive fast but it still has a solid base to build on.

And luckily I just got my hands on 120 red beans ticket from Gamescon, so I know I'm stuck on leveling my Arsenal tonight. :P

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I think they can make one amazing PvE game if they focus on that and forget the PVP. They got a great foundation and some really fun gameplay.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Ive said this loooooong ago

Pvp in a game like this would never ever attract many players. They should just scrap the whole pvp idea for this game and concentrate on the pve part.

PVE has suffered immensly because of PVP. So now they have a sucky pvp that no one wants to play and a pve part where they destroyed because of it

GOOD JOB!

Ive bought the biggest pack for this game long ago because I saw how great the pve part could become.. they failed alot

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by spawn12345

Ive said this loooooong ago

Pvp in a game like this would never ever attract many players. They should just scrap the whole pvp idea for this game and concentrate on the pve part.

PVE has suffered immensly because of PVP. So now they have a sucky pvp that no one wants to play and a pve part where they destroyed because of it

GOOD JOB!

Ive bought the biggest pack for this game long ago because I saw how great the pve part could become.. they failed alot

Good thing is that they are aware of it and hopefully focusing more into PvE - and making the game even better. So, I'm sure your 'biggest pack' didn't go to waste yet. :)

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

less than 3% PvP in Firefall

Wow didnt know that few people pvp-ed. I only played for the PvE with my wife, glad to see they are focusing on that. This game could be really great if they added player built bases homes / static shards / worlds that you could play on.

Right now defending anything seems kinda pointless as you are placed into a random world every time you log on.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I'd like to say they are going "back" to the drawing board, but let's be honest....they never really left.

I'm sure by now Red5's employees have all begun tearing their hair out with one hand, and updating their resumes with the other.

Joined - July 2004

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Ha ha not good when you are trying to sell a pvp focused game that you want to be jousting for the competitive competition market. Overall the game sucks anyways being F2P ect ect.

MurderHerd

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    The Open World PVE is so much fun most don't care about the PVP at all lol, I know thats the boat I am on.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Wow closing down the PVP a step in the right direction, now toss it out completely and I may consider reinstalling.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by remyburke

I'd like to say they are going "back" to the drawing board, but let's be honest....they never really left.

I'm sure by now Red5's employees have all begun tearing their hair out with one hand, and updating their resumes with the other.

LOL updating their resumes?  I thought they all had full time jobs elsewhere and only worked on Firefall while eating dinner and watching TV.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    with MOBAs being hot right now i would love to see them add some sort of MOBA PVP to the game
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Mithrundir
    I was on the fence for this game waiting for more reviews, but all I do is pvp. So this makes the decision easy for me.

I was already off the fence because the graphics style doesn't appeal to me, but this certainly eliminates any chance of me giving it a second look. Mark Jacobs is really on to something with Camelot Unchained by making an RvR only MMO. Trying to make MMOs that are all things to all types of players including PvE and PvP doesn't have a good track record.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think it says a lot about Red5 that they have the nads to admit it and take the PVP portion out of the game while they fix it.  Personally I wish more companies would do this.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    This is a huge step back imo. Stop listening to the players and release the game you wanted to release. Players don't know what they want, that's why they keep switching games.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Important part of the game, really? You just don't eleminate important intragul parts off mmorpgs...

I thought this was a pvp game? I played the beta for a night early last year I think, and pvp was all it was.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    And here I thought PvP was supposed to be the main selling point of FireFall...
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Important part of the game, really? You just don't eleminate important intragul parts off mmorpgs...

I thought this was a pvp game? I played the beta for a night early last year I think, and pvp was all it was.

PvP hasn't been an important part of the game in over a year and it hasn't been a pvp game in 2 years now ? It was the right thing to do. They are a 20 person dev team....you can't split your focus into two games and still make an mmo with a team that small.

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Mortemia

I've always played Firefall as PvE game and can't really see it as a PvP game. But the PvE side is quite good currently, though I would like to see much more content for it. Right now it get's repetitive fast but it still has a solid base to build on.

Ditto. I have hours of fun blasting stuff and playing with all the different frames. Haven't even attempted PVP yet, but the open world really needs to be expanded upon.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Just release HALO type PvP and problem solved.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    This game has had one problem after the other... Red 5 has to be made up out of the least competent developers in the industry. They were in beta for literally years, and are still having major problems and don't seem to know what they want their game to even be.

Smile

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Good move IMO! Firefall PvE is incredibly fun and has more potential than any game I have played in years. I would like to see open world PvP maybe in the firm of adding a chosen faction. Something complex, not like GW2's WvW which is just a zerg fest. Tie it to resources which are a huge part of Firefall. Let us build bases or fortifications. So many cool and reasonable things they can do. Until then though make Firefall the best Pvae experience you can. The world is so damn cool!
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

this makes total sense!-iam glad they have put pvp in the back burner for now.

as a ff player, i think pve needs major attention and they do it very well, when they add new content

- the events are stellar in the game and instances are amazing(arcs). pvp can come at a later time when players feel comfortable with their battle frames!

i support red5 with this new announcement! i look forward to seein new pve content! and lets keep in mind RED5 isnt a 200 man shop spitting out content- the devs talented and are pretty in tune with the community .

great move!!!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by remyburke

Either that or they're sighing with relief that the company acknowledged the issue before it reached that point.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Wait.. The PvP wasn't popular, so they just took it out entirely?

... That seems very odd

Firefall is like my primary reason for not pre-ordering and supporting in development games anymore.

Way to mess up, again.