Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best single player/solo MMORPG?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I can't think of a single MMO that has a better single-player story than most single-player games. There are many MMOs that are solo friendly, and have great story lines that are accessible solo. But in a single player game, that and the combat/action are all you have, and the good ones are really good at it.

Take into account the graphics/engine sacrifices you have to make to make a MMO online game, and I can't think of one that looks better than an equivalent-generation MMO either (although Vindictus comes the closest I think).

And then add in the subscription/cash shop/what have you, on top of the box fee. Single player games may have DLC, but the main story isn't usually locked behind DLC unless that's it's only monetization (I can think of a few iOS single player games like this, free for the first chapter, then pay as you go for the story). You pay once for the single player game, you pay continually for the MMO. Even the F2P ones - you have some very inconvenient convenience factors locked out unless you decide to pay for them.

Taking all that into account, I think if your in it for "the best" single player experience, your better served by single player games. If the purpose of this thread is just a thought experiment, though, then have at it; I'd probably say either Neverwinter or SWTOR - both had decent storylines (SWTOR has multiple ones), and I never had to group up at all through the entire storyline or to max level.

Who says i don't play SP games? The point is that one cannot always play the "best" experience because sooner or later, you will finish the game.

Let's say i like Dishonored better than Splinter Cell Blacklist. So Dishonor .. in this case .. is "best" for me. Do i just play Dishonored and ignore Blacklist? Of course not. Two reasons. One, i finished Dishonored. Second, while Dishonored is better (for me), blacklist is fun for me too.

The same applies to MMOs. For example, D3 is much more polished, and i like it better than Marvel Heroes. But i can't just play D3 forever and nothing else, can i? So i play MH as a SP game too, and that gives me 30 hours of free fun. I don't see a reason why i should not do so.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by grhuff
    I'd recommend AOC and TSW.

I have never thought of AoC since it is a bit old already. It is F2P right? May be i should check it out too.

F2p, with a pretty decent model might I add.

But I wouldn't call it single player. It has an awesome storyline (imo of course) and many many well-written side stories, so it's definitely worth a playthrough (did I mention it's free? lol).

You can do a lot in solo mode - but "a lot" is not equal single player game, almost every bigger storyline ends up in group quests, or leading you into instances for the conclusion. It's not a huge problem though, AoC has nice instances with fun mechanics :)

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Definitely TSW. Most content is solo with great story telling and quite a few excellent quests.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Who says i don't play SP games? The point is that one cannot always play the "best" experience because sooner or later, you will finish the game.Let's say i like Dishonored better than Splinter Cell Blacklist. So Dishonor .. in this case .. is "best" for me. Do i just play Dishonored and ignore Blacklist? Of course not. Two reasons. One, i finished Dishonored. Second, while Dishonored is better (for me), blacklist is fun for me too.The same applies to MMOs. For example, D3 is much more polished, and i like it better than Marvel Heroes. But i can't just play D3 forever and nothing else, can i? So i play MH as a SP game too, and that gives me 30 hours of free fun. I don't see a reason why i should not do so. 

No, you didn't say "what should I play"

You asked for "The Best"

I said, the best is a single player game.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by free2play
    Tera, TSW, LotRO, STO, FF14, WoW to name a few. FF14 does have some forced grouping but it can be avoided. LotRO during the original Angmar version was very group driven but it's easy to solo now. Group content is optional. The greatest virtue of TSW is the infinite repeatability of the quests. Each zone has a play style and if you prefer the original zone you really never need to leave. You go in, do a circuit and log out.

I'm curious as to the avoiding of forced group play in FFXIV. Do you have any more info on that? I have done the group thing, but would love to avoid it if possible while still progressing. I am ready to not continue playing if there is no way around it. I get the impression one will miss a ton of content without go along on the rails

Call me an mmo semi-intravert like I'm am in real life. I like being around people and saying hello and converse, but I hate it when I'm "forced" to go out and party. I prefer  those decisions on my terms, not the storyline

Originally posted by Ridelynn

Who says i don't play SP games? The point is that one cannot always play the "best" experience because sooner or later, you will finish the game.

Let's say i like Dishonored better than Splinter Cell Blacklist. So Dishonor .. in this case .. is "best" for me. Do i just play Dishonored and ignore Blacklist? Of course not. Two reasons. One, i finished Dishonored. Second, while Dishonored is better (for me), blacklist is fun for me too.

The same applies to MMOs. For example, D3 is much more polished, and i like it better than Marvel Heroes. But i can't just play D3 forever and nothing else, can i? So i play MH as a SP game too, and that gives me 30 hours of free fun. I don't see a reason why i should not do so.

No, you didn't say "what should I play"

You asked for "The Best"

I said, the best is a single player game.

No. I asked for the best solo MMORPG, i did not ask for the best game. You answer does not fit the narrow confine of my question.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

GW2

you can have great fun running solo and then jump into a dynamic event with other players without dealing with the "formal" group thing

Originally posted by gatheris

GW2

you can have great fun running solo and then jump into a dynamic event with other players without dealing with the "formal" group thing

Do they have solo-able instances with story events?

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

IMAGINE a game with a HUGE solo challenge, that combines perma death (die once - avatar dead for good )with a centralised economy where "the still living " are trading goods, resources, gear ...

IMAGINE every  day may be your last and demand for goods is high as perma death is all around you ...

You can craft leveling gear as demand is kept huge as everyone dies some day, you can earn Gold by playing it safe ... or ADAPT the difficulty and gain MORE lucrative resources and Gold to climb higher and have a small group of other hardcore avatars.

IMAGINE a game with 100.000 players on one centralised server, so this hardcore perma death economy is always alive and kicking.

Imagine  this totally insane economical driven on line game even exists ...and is not called EVE.

Imagine it is even made by ...Blizzard.

Diablo 3 HARDCORE mode.

Best all in one challenging hardcore game ever invented.... and the laugh is Blizzard stumbled over it by accident and players are not even aware before stumbling in it by pure boredom after playing the softcore dud.

Even automated bots are hardly a problem since ... you die a perma death ... :) 

So no discussions here: hardcore D3 with its built in hardcore Gold only AH is the best on line solo experience for anyone searching.

It is almost the Holy Grail of what mmorpg has been searching for in the past years. 

"You are dead" and you just spend the last 57 million Gold in trading ...

Start from scratch.

The rest of the bunch of games is kid stuff compared to this. 

PS. the game is so good I'll make a 3rd dispensable HC character of the same class to not lose my 2 other HC heroes that downed Diablo Inferno previously... and so have a back up - back up to grind for crafting resources....

Originally posted by sportsfan

IMAGINE a game with a HUGE solo challenge, that combines perma death (die once - avatar dead for good )with a centralised economy where "the still living " are trading goods, resources, gear ...

IMAGINE every  day may be your last and demand for goods is high as perma death is all around you ...

You can craft leveling gear as demand is kept huge as everyone dies some day, you can earn Gold by playing it safe ... or ADAPT the difficulty and gain MORE lucrative resources and Gold to climb higher and have a small group of other hardcore avatars.

IMAGINE a game with 100.000 players on one centralised server, so this hardcore perma death economy is always alive and kicking.

Imagine  this totally insane economical driven on line game even exists ...and is not called EVE.

Imagine it is even made by ...Blizzard.

Diablo 3 HARDCORE mode.

Best all in one challenging hardcore game ever invented.... and the laugh is Blizzard stumbled over it by accident and players are not even aware before stumbling in it by pure boredom after playing the softcore dud.

Even automated bots are hardly a problem since ... you die a perma death ... :) 

So no discussions here: hardcore D3 with its built in hardcore Gold only AH is the best on line solo experience for anyone searching.

It is almost the Holy Grail of what mmorpg has been searching for in the past years. 

"You are dead" and you just spend the last 57 million Gold in trading ...

Start from scratch.

The rest of the bunch of games is kid stuff compared to this. 

PS. the game is so good I'll make a 3rd dispensable HC character of the same class to not lose my 2 other HC heroes that downed Diablo Inferno previously... and so have a back up - back up to grind for crafting resources....

I agreed. D3  is a great game. Not only that, i like it better than all MMOs.

However, the question is that what is the best single player MMORPGs. D3 certainly deserves a honorary mentioned, but not an answer to the question.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by gatheris

GW2

Do they have solo-able instances with story events?

There are some. Most instances are group based though.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Personally I prefer LOTRO's solo experience over SWTOR.  LOTRO has a lot more freedom and a larger world to get lost in. Also LOTRO has a lot less repetition to its content, whereas SWTOR becomes a bit boring if you level a new character.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by arieste

TOR is very much designed for single-player as well, but the writing and story quality are just atrocious.  Most of it makes no sense whatsoever even from a protagonist perspective.  It's just extremely dumb and aimed at 8-year-olds.  

I agreed. I purposefully did NOT list TOR. It is a much worse SP games than these other ones i mentioned, to me at least.

If they have spent more effort in terms of writing and story scripting, instead of making the world, it would have been a much better game.

Now you're just being silly.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by arieste

TOR is very much designed for single-player as well, but the writing and story quality are just atrocious.  Most of it makes no sense whatsoever even from a protagonist perspective.  It's just extremely dumb and aimed at 8-year-olds.  

I agreed. I purposefully did NOT list TOR. It is a much worse SP games than these other ones i mentioned, to me at least.

If they have spent more effort in terms of writing and story scripting, instead of making the world, it would have been a much better game.

Now you're just being silly.

nah .. .the world in TOR does little to add to the fun (for me) anyway. I won't miss it if it is taken away.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    TOR hands down. TSW is also good, certainly worth playing are Lotro, Duco, sto-oh and Never Winter
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

It's always funny to see a troll thread fail.

Games like Skyrim are by far the best solo MMORPG. If one is really serious about playing solo, he doesn't play MMORPGs, single player games have way more "value for the money".

The only reason "some" people play MMOs are because of the F2P model. Games for free. Makes me wonder how those guys pay for their Internet access.

My computer is better than yours.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Games like Skyrim are by far the best solo MMORPG. If one is really serious about playing solo, he doesn't play MMORPGs, single player games have way more "value for the money".

Nah .. SKYRIM has too much running around. I don't like that game. Many MMORPGs are better (for me of course) .. because they are less a "virtual world" than SKYRIM.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

TSW is very much like a single player RPG, but with the advantage or option of having other players around. The combat doesn't flow as smoothly as most single player games as it still sticks with the 'hotkey' style combat, but otherwise, it would be a good single player rpg replacement.

As far as the Skyrim references, Fallout 3 & New Vegas are both really good mmorpg style rpgs, but I think they would benefit from being multiplayer. My opinion of course.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

It's always funny to see a troll thread fail.

The only reason "some" people play MMOs are because of the F2P model. Games for free. Makes me wonder how those guys pay for their Internet access.

It's the same copy/paste comment every time somebody brings up the solo playstyle.

Play Skyrim it's a single player game blah blah blah. Next time try not to sound like a sheep and provide something original.

When will it sink in that people like to play the game at their own pace and enjoy the game rather than be forced to play on other people's schedules?

I have a limited time to play so i want to get in there and do as much as possible before i log. There is nothing more annoying to me than having to wait for people to put a group together or answer the phone or take a bio. That's infringing on my game time.

If you are in the mood and have some time you can join a group  but most of the time the solo play style is the best fit for people with limited time.

Back to the original question, Lord of the Rings Online is the best solo game at the moment.

Lots of content, great community, awesome lore and if your smart no subscription model

Originally posted by lizardbones

TSW is very much like a single player RPG, but with the advantage or option of having other players around. The combat doesn't flow as smoothly as most single player games as it still sticks with the 'hotkey' style combat, but otherwise, it would be a good single player rpg replacement.

As far as the Skyrim references, Fallout 3 & New Vegas are both really good mmorpg style rpgs, but I think they would benefit from being multiplayer. My opinion of course.

I think it is very interesting that some SP games can benefit from being MP, and some MMOs (like TOR) can benefit if it was developed as a SP game.

• DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

This entire thread is painful.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Nah .. SKYRIM has too much running around. I don't like that game. Many MMORPGs are better (for me of course) .. because they are less a "virtual world" than SKYRIM.

So the question goes like this.

What is the best single player/solo MMORPG? better (for me of course) ..

because they are less a "virtual world than SKYRIM.

Of course your question doesnt make sense at all,basicly what you are asking is What MMO is worst(not virtual world at all)  which is best for you.

Well mmm maybe these forums ?

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

This entire thread is painful.

For you, sure.

It has been a lot of fun for me.

Your comment is a perfect illustration of the fact that people have different preferences and find different things fun.

Originally posted by PAL-18

Of course your question doesnt make sense at all,basicly what you are asking is What MMO is worst(not virtual world at all)  which is best for you.

Worst for you, best for me. It makes perfect sense because we have different preferences.

And certainly the answer can be answered. There are plenty of MMORPGs with good solo content. I understand that you don't like them. But i am not making this topic to talk about games you like, am i?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by PAL-18

He he heee. I believe you have exposed his favorite MMORPG. It makes sense, it's the only one he's been playing that he never quit image

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb