Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext winning best of show is like awarding the Nobel Prize to the person with the best theory with

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Since when have games been awarded best of show for their ideas?  Because that's what EQNext is right now for the most part, a big set of ideas on paper.  Sure there have been a couple tech demos to show - but there is nothing that is completed to a point where we can even know if everything is going to work the way they want it to, or turn out how they say.  It's a bunch of PLANS, IDEAS, GOALS.  Hell if that's all it takes to win a best of show, Xsyon should have won it a few years back with it's 8 page long list of features the game was going to have that were LITERALLY unbelievable, but what's the difference with this?  There is no difference - it's a big company making big promises before much development has taken place.  You all have never seen that before?  Because it sure seems like it. 

As the title of this thread says giving this game in its current state best of show awards, which 2 big name mmo sites including this one did, is like awarding a scientist with the smoothest tongue and fancy theories of science the Nobel Prize - but who hasn't actually produced the results or tested his ideas.  It's ridiculous to me, and it's sad as well seeing how many people just eat up the marketing candy like there's no tomorrow and claim it's the second coming.  And you know what?  Maybe it will be incredible.  But at this point in development, NO GAME should ever win an award like this one got.

Comments

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Isn't 'best of show' also about presentation - not just 100% about the game. And EQN had so much stuff going on there.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Give us a list of the last 5 or 10 winners of that particular 'award', so we can actually tell if this is standard operating procedure.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    These shows are also about presentations. 
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Shows like these are specifically made for unfinished games. After EQN comes out, it'll be a candidate for various awards for released games, such as Game of the Year.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Margulis

Since when have games been awarded best of show for their ideas?  Because that's what EQNext is right now for the most part, a big set of ideas on paper.  Sure there have been a couple tech demos to show - but there is nothing that is completed to a point where we can even know if everything is going to work the way they want it to, or turn out how they say.  It's a bunch of PLANS, IDEAS, GOALS.  Hell if that's all it takes to win a best of show, Xsyon should have won it a few years back with it's 8 page long list of features the game was going to have that were LITERALLY unbelievable, but what's the difference with this?  There is no difference - it's a big company making big promises before much development has taken place.  You all have never seen that before?  Because it sure seems like it. 

As the title of this thread says giving this game in its current state best of show awards, which 2 big name mmo sites including this one did, is like awarding a scientist with the smoothest tongue and fancy theories of science the Nobel Prize - but who hasn't actually produced the results or tested his ideas.  It's ridiculous to me, and it's sad as well seeing how many people just eat up the marketing candy like there's no tomorrow and claim it's the second coming.  And you know what?  Maybe it will be incredible.  But at this point in development, NO GAME should ever win an award like this one got.

I can gaurantee it won't have all the features they claim, they are just theorycrafting as you said.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    No, it really isn't.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

They have shown world building, combat and movement. Thats probably equivalent to some of the theories that have won nobel prizes in terms of solid information / results.

I would hazard a guess and say that the Landmark tool, which was presented in detail, was the primary reason that EQN won. Its far more interesting than any other crap churned out at the shows this year.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Completely agree with the OP. So far EQN is a pure hype talk. Best of show my arse...
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

If you base this game on the Landmark tool, which for me is alot of time and development spent on something that is not going to sell me this game. It's new and different but it's not something I am going to focus on.

The thing I like about EQ is it's lore and land mass, it's a huge landscape. It's vast and I am concerned that there will be large gaps in content due to SOE spoon feeding us areas of content...slowly. Meaning we pay for each update or for most of them. A literal cash monster which I am not willing to pay. F2P? Does anyone not realize you're going to shell out $60+ to play? I highly doubt it's going to be larger than SWTOR and people were max in that within 30 days. This is where we are. People will burn 40+ hours a week and be done and gone in 30 days because most games are Solo/Moloable to win. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Margulis

Since when have games been awarded best of show for their ideas? 

Always. Because in those shows games in development, where noone knows exactly what it will be, get awaded. And yes, those awards don't say a lot, or mean anything at all.

Nobel Prize and other Prizes are awarded after the product is finished(like literature prizes) and is reviewed entirely. Which would be in MMORPG terms.. after a lot of reviewer played it over a year, and know exactly what it is. Do we have something like that? Not really.. or some lifetime awards come close.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mortemia
    Isn't 'best of show' also about presentation - not just 100% about the game. And EQN had so much stuff going on there.

Correct. Best of Show is an award based on how much the demo/booth/title impressed the reviewer.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

I don't see the problem. It was best in show simply because what they showed them was far and beyond every other game there. EQN shows something new and innovative whereas all the other titles were just things we've seen before with different skins. How hard is this to understand?

Best in show =/= Best game. It's the judges' opinions... Get over it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

If they are doing this as a Best of Booth why not call the award that?!

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Because it wasn't seen in a booth. It was shown privately to a selected few. Besides, what difference would it make? ... None.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Ok Best in Private Showing, let it says what it is on the tin. So what they saw was in private, is that true for every game there??!!
  • ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Just because you don't understand the criteria, doesn't mean they should change the name of the award. Were you even there or is this just another random internet complain for the sake of complaining?

That award is about who gave the best presentation. In the past it has been won by other games that weren't released yet either.

Oh, and several people have won nobel prizes for theories. Including Albert Einstien.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

This is marketing hype at it's best.

I love EQII so much I burned out on it, but having seen what SOE had done to the game (when you get a moderator trying to influence how you post -- yeah, it's all about PR -- not even Blizzard went that far).

Innovative designs is perfect. But until they are tried, tested and polished we certainly won't know if they can even pass the smell test of over hyping yet another MMO.

Crying Chicken Little too many times, it backfires. So a game that truly is noteworthy, players are so jaded to even care to try it (including this next Titan).

Blizzard blames the players, but the players resemble the "system". Attitudes and behaviors come from top down and it trickles into the specific gaming culture. EQ's culture is of the diehard variety, so diehard new players will h-a-t-e being the new guy in a 14 year-old game.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    There is a thread for discussion of awards in the News and Features forum. There's also an EQN forum, where I'm moving this. However, the title leads to an inappropriately political and/or ethical discussion and thus I locked this,

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.