Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I played patch 5.4

expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

So I jumped in and played patch 5.4 this evening, what did I get up to?

What I did in 2 hours

When you first arrive on the Island prepare to witness the senseless slaughter of turtles, why this was happening I never found out, but I endulged in 20 minutes of free skinning nonetheless.

Moving further into the Island you’ll hit a hub of sorts, there is one quest giver but I decided to go off on my own, if you like beer and noodles you’ll love this place cus’ you encounter NPC after NPC trying to flog you that stuff.

There is one thing you’ll want horde while on this island and that is “timeless coins”, you’ll earn these by doing almost anything on the Island, Killing mobs, collecting crystals and best of all finding chests, the Island is littered with literally dozens of these chests, smaller ones are on daily respawn timers and larger ones on weekly.  Also in the chests (more so the bigger ones) will be high level PvE gear (iLvl 490’ish), gearing those who have not done much raiding for the siege of orgrimmar raid.

So what do you do with the timeless coins? I found just one NPC selling items those these were novelty items, currently you’ll mainly spend your coins gambling, you’ll run across a monkey fella in a cave who will sell you a key for 500 coins (500 rather easy to come by), you can then open one of the chests around him in hopes for some epics.  It’s strangely addictive and you’ll be back just as soon as you have 500 coins again.

Flying is disabled on this Island (yay), so this jumping puzzle of sorts was a welcome addition I was lead to believe there was a chest at the end of it but either I was lied to or I missed the spawn.

The basic mobs on the Island are all rather tough, plenty of level 91 mobs who hit harder than you'd expect,  there are also several rare spawns though I only saw them in corpse form.

You only have access to half of the Island at the moment, currently if you’re not a mage your journey ends at this broken bridge. Mages can use slow fall to span the gap. pffft.

PVP

I wish my server had a good alliance population because this place is ripe for some classic PVP group action.  I do not believe my server has been enabled for the new virtual realm stuff, Blizzard said they’ll first roll it out to a small number of servers to make sure nothing goes wrong so here’s hoping it happens soon.

In Closing

It appears there is only a few things to do on the Island at the moment, but I could have easily missed things - I did see other players with NPC's following them, I saw players flying on giant seaguls (well they were being carried in their beacks) and there are those big boss mobs I didn't have time to investigate.  I guess I just need to spend more time on the Island.

Comments

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    This game gone f2p yet?
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    So... nothing really new and exciting?
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I am bummed as I do not have the cloak required to get to the island yet, but soon enough.

And for the next two posters after the OP, how about a bit of originality? Your mantra is pretty tired and broke. Or you could totally ignore this post, that can't be too hard to do...

I don't understand why people like you just feel so compelled to drop by and spout off, time to move on.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by Slampig

I am bummed as I do not have the cloak required to get to the island yet, but soon enough.

You don't need the cloak to get to the island...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    I liked the pics - thanks for posting
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    I haven't played WoW since Lich King.  So, I'm not fully up to speed on the story.  Just curious, is this the last big content raid for this expac?  If yes, have they announced, or has there been any rumors of what the next expac will be?  Thanks in advance.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    I haven't played WoW since Lich King.  So, I'm not fully up to speed on the story.  Just curious, is this the last big content raid for this expac?  If yes, have they announced, or has there been any rumors of what the next expac will be?  Thanks in advance.

Yes last content patch, there will be a pre-expansion patch to setup the new expansion but it will be small.  the next expac money seems to be on the burning legion coming back for another round.  We should find out at Blizzcon in Nov

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

5.4 is going to be insanely fast / easy to gear up alts for raiding.

On my Shaman, who was/is already geared enough to do Siege of Ogrimmar LFR - i got like 3 epic boot drops, 1 belt, 3 shoulders, 2 rings, a necklace, bracers, a cloak, and a chest piece - all in about an hour.

Plus some cloth bracers and plate bracers for an alt.

These items are all iLvl 496 - which conveniently is the iLvl you'll need for SoO LFR.

So now I'm leveling my Paladin from 89-90 finally and will hit Timeless Isle as soon as I ding and gear up probably both Ret and Prot sets.

You can do all of that ^ without killing a single mob with chests and spending coins for keys for random chests.

It feels KIND OF like a GW2 zone, no quests, some "events' , some puzzles, rewards to find via exploration, and of course everything is heavily camped and groups are just cycling through the most profitable areas.

I'm more excited for SoO - T16 Paly set looks awesome, Shaman set looks.. OK? 14 boss raid is always a good time - Ulduar was always my favorite, with ICC a close 2nd. I hope SoO feels just as epic.

Already seeing lots of PUG groups for FLEX difficulty, great time to be playing WoW - if you have 90's and enjoy raiding!

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by BadSpock

5.4 is going to be insanely fast / easy to gear up alts for raiding.

On my Shaman, who was/is already geared enough to do Siege of Ogrimmar LFR - i got like 3 epic boot drops, 1 belt, 3 shoulders, 2 rings, a necklace, bracers, a cloak, and a chest piece - all in about an hour.

Plus some cloth bracers and plate bracers for an alt.

These items are all iLvl 496 - which conveniently is the iLvl you'll need for SoO LFR.

So now I'm leveling my Paladin from 89-90 finally and will hit Timeless Isle as soon as I ding and gear up probably both Ret and Prot sets.

You can do all of that ^ without killing a single mob with chests and spending coins for keys for random chests.

It feels KIND OF like a GW2 zone, no quests, some "events' , some puzzles, rewards to find via exploration, and of course everything is heavily camped and groups are just cycling through the most profitable areas.

I'm more excited for SoO - T16 Paly set looks awesome, Shaman set looks.. OK? 14 boss raid is always a good time - Ulduar was always my favorite, with ICC a close 2nd. I hope SoO feels just as epic.

Already seeing lots of PUG groups for FLEX difficulty, great time to be playing WoW - if you have 90's and enjoy raiding!

Yeah I got gloves, shoes, helm, legs and and bracers for my hunter plus some other account bound epics for other classes.  But to be honest you need that gear for the mobs on the Island, I like that a good amount of gear that drops in the raid are heirlooms should mean the gear will be viable come the next expansion rather than throw aways on day one,

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The first time you get to the island and still have the introductory quests to do you will indeed find a TON of stuff and of course the quest rewards are nice. You also will find all your chests but when I went back the next day I say none. I assume these are weekly or for how ever long the island stays in one spot or whatever. You won't find chests like that again right away. It mainly comes down to boss and mob kill loot after that so things slow down.

Pvp on the island offers Blood coins when looting enemy players. This is another currency allowing purchase of some nifty things but hardly game changing in any way. Nice little change and makes open world pvp something useful.

My complaint is that I envisioned the island to be far larger. 3 times the size would have made it perfect. It basically is just a nice alternate method to gear up newer 90's. You can have a 496 set complete and waiting for an alt or a set for off-spec. The best of the best gear is still gated through more difficult raiding. It is Blizz's attempt to not force players into instanced game play for all their gear grinding. I just wish the game offered far more open world solutions to game play than even this.

You stay sassy!

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

I am knee deep into Diablo 3 HC mode for over 8 months now...

But I keep coming back: old main lvl 86 now, won 4 out of 5 BG's and did some odd quests.

2 hours of D3 and 2 hours of WOW.

Choices ...

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Might a start playing again, keeping in mind its just a casual game, ths second i start taking it serious i loose interest. I really want to fuck that horde scum up....
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Kanester
    Might a start playing again, keeping in mind its just a casual game, ths second i start taking it serious i loose interest. I really want to fuck that horde scum up....

I got my Shaman up to iLvl 500 real quick so I can do Siege of Ogrimmar Raid Finder next week.

My Paladin was at 88, but they changed the amount of XP required to level up, so 1 mob kill and I was 89 lol. So now I'm ~60% through to 90 and already have a few iLvl 496 pieces from the Isle - going to gear up my Paly super quick.

Tankadin/Retadin 5.4 is super fun, they really fixed the rotations and abilities. Much better than in Cata or anything in MoP up to this point.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Kanester

Don't expect much of it.

Yesterday they nerfed getting the Burdens to upgrade the ilvl 496 gear to 535 (now you either have to farm rares or be prepared for eye popping grinding for purple "of the fireflash" type green gear with purple stats (badly optimized 535 gear with no set bonuses -- can't have raiders go ape). DO NOT take the PTR notes about Burdens on Wowhead as the gospel, it's been nerfed severely yesterday. Burden drops from rares are extremely rare.

13 items converted to ilvl 535 (mind you it is better than LFR, but non upgradeable) = 650,000 Tineless coins. Rare bosses can drop around 1100 to 1400 coins. Their respawn times are about 1hr, too.

Don't expect to rush and get your main, let alone alts, upto 535 (and PvP gear drops from weeklys).