Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 vs new pc

SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
I know most people will say pc's are better suited to handle mmo graphics and are preferred for mmo gameplay.  But I am really enjoying FF14 on ps3 and previously I played FF11 on ps2.  I just prefer a console to play a game then a pc.  With ESO coming out for ps4 and likely EQN on ps4...there is no real incentive to buy an expensive new pc.  The only reason I ever really bought pc's before was to play MMOs.  Now it seems like the console is able to handle mmos rather well.  I think thats a good thing as it suits my preferred playstyle.  My pc is 6 years old and instead of having to buy a new one for $1500+ I can just get a ps4 for however much it costs...prolly $500-600.  I bet blizzards Titan will even release on console.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

disclaimer:  I prefer PCs

you can buy a prebuilt PC for $500

or build your own

http://toptengamer.hubpages.com/hub/Best-500-Gaming-Computer-Build

otherwise i agree w you

with a wifi tablet and a console -- you are good to go for many things

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

PC>Console

1) Two/Three-boxing seems kinda difficult on a console or tablet. :P

2) More than 1 screen is easy to handle. I have internet on one screen, maps on another and main game on center or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogVw-3l43ss

3) Depending on the game, Razor Tarantula Keyboard and Lachesis Mouse set up with Macro's etc. Making certain tasks easy peasy. FOr shooters going from 4000dpi - 400dpi or macroing going from sniper to pistol in 1 button press is pretty sweet without key ghosting.

4) With SSD drives, game loading times are almost non-existent now.  

5) PC based VOIP. 

There are many more reasons but I'll stop there.

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Just buy both and a new TV to use as a monitor for both.
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Whatever you think you will get the most use out of is the answer. If you think the MMO's you plan on playing will be on PS4 then you're safe there. I plan on getting a ps4 but I still have a PC suitable for gaming. Good luck.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    PC every time.
  • SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

I pretty much only have a budget for one or the other...and I prefer the less expensive option.  ALso I have not the skills to build my own pc...and a prebuilt for $500? Prolly get a  barebones system with minimal specs that will be outdated in a couple years.  I really don't know anything about pc hardware.

So yea, there are definite advantages to the pc, but I am a more casual player and can do my  map/quest lookups on the old pc while I am playing ps3/ps4.  I don't multi box so that is a non issue for me.  Eventually, if the Saviour of MMOs ever appears...maybe I'll get a new pc for that.  But the second coming is prolly pretty far off...if ever.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    PS4 is cheaper for the same amount of power. However, you do not get STEAM.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I agree with you on most points.

I still prefer to have a gaming PC and a console. If that is not an option for you then go PS4 IMO. I am currently playing no MMOs on my PC, but playing FF and D3 on my PS3.

I use my PC more for movies and single player games now than anything.  I must say tho playing games like Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, ect on my 47" TV with max PC graphics in DX11 beats the hell out of any console. Wired x box controller and a recliner with PC graphics is the way to play most single player games for me now days.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I prefer PC and no console can even come close to it especially rigged up to my 55in samsung smart tv. I will buy the PS4 though just like i have owned every PS.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by Slukjan

I pretty much only have a budget for one or the other...and I prefer the less expensive option.  ALso I have not the skills to build my own pc...and a prebuilt for $500? Prolly get a  barebones system with minimal specs that will be outdated in a couple years.  I really don't know anything about pc hardware.

So yea, there are definite advantages to the pc, but I am a more casual player and can do my  map/quest lookups on the old pc while I am playing ps3/ps4.  I don't multi box so that is a non issue for me.  Eventually, if the Saviour of MMOs ever appears...maybe I'll get a new pc for that.  But the second coming is prolly pretty far off...if ever.

For what it's worth I knew nothing about building PC's until I decided to build one. With a few guides I found online I knocked it out no sweat and it still runs great. People on here can school you about hardware.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
     I just prefer a console to play a game then a pc.  

If you liked PC but were worried about price I could point out that for the price of a new console you could likely upgrade an existing rig which you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading for a long time, but it seems like you answered your own question.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Depending on how many games you buy, you come out ahead with pc due to all the game sales in the long run.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I pretty much only have a budget for one or the other...and I prefer the less expensive option.  ALsskills to build my own pc...and a prebuilt for $500? Prolly get a  barebones system with minimal specs that will be outdated in a couple years.

prebuilt for $460

http://www.amazon.com/CybertronPC-Trooper-Gaming-PC-Black/dp/B007ZKQ9SU/

8 gig ram,  Win7, 500 gig hard disk, DVDRW

2.7 GHz AMD A4-3400 dual-core processor

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Normally I'd recommend a PC, but with a 400-500$ budget it'll never last you long, where as if you're lucky the new console generation might go on for another 6 years.

Get the PS4, it'll stay relevant a lot longer then a useless 400-500$  computer.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    If you're already convinced, why are you asking us?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

So you don't need a PC at all? What about homework, if you are at school? Text editor/Powerpoint/Excel etc. for work?

If you are doing anything serious on a computer, then you need a PC. Of course, you can get away with a very cheap PC that can't really be used for gaming, but most people will need a PC, whether they have a console or not.

I just prefer to have one machine for all, but that's just me.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

It depends on what you're going to do with it.  If all you want to do is play single-player games using a gamepad, then get the PS4.  If you want to do things that you really need a keyboard and/or mouse for, then get a PC.  While you can plug in a keyboard and/or mouse into a PS4, software written for PC can assume that everyone has them, while software written for PS4 cannot.

Also, if you have ideas about playing MMORPGs on the machine, go with a PC.  While a handful of MMORPGs will come to PS4, it is highly probable that most MMORPGs will remain PC-only.  I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if three years from now, there are more MMORPGs for Android than for PS4--and if there are decently capable $200 Android consoles that can run those Android MMORPGs.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

If you want to play a lot of games the PC is a better choice. Because unless money isn't an issue you are going to have to spend more per game on a PS4. Not counting the insane steam sales, many PC games release for a cheaper price. If you prefer a gamepad, that's also not an issue. Feel like an MMO? Well you'll have a ton to try out on the PC. Not including being able to participate in beta's and what not. 

Spending a bit more now on a PC will pay off in the end as your savings on games alone will be worth it. Plus, you'll be able to play all the releases for years to come at console quality or more, and you can even simply upgrade your graphics card down the line to improve it further. Before the next gen of consoles comes out I might add.

For some people, mod's dont play a factor. But obviously thats a big strong point for PC's.

The biggest bonus a console has is that games are typically tailored to it. Which means less bugs. I myself rarely have bugs in my games. Plus, I have almost no loading times. I use an 360 controller for some games and back to keyboard and mouse for others. 

So all in all, just my personal opinion and I'm not a fanboy, for me its about logic, I'd go PC. I'd console for the exclusives ONLY. So if they are that important to you, all the more power to you.

• SkogSonSkogSon Member Posts: 59
    I know most people will say pc's are better suited to handle mmo graphics and are preferred for mmo gameplay.  But I am really enjoying FF14 on ps3 and previously I played FF11 on ps2.  I just prefer a console to play a game then a pc.  With ESO coming out for ps4 and likely EQN on ps4...there is no real incentive to buy an expensive new pc.  The only reason I ever really bought pc's before was to play MMOs.  Now it seems like the console is able to handle mmos rather well.  I think thats a good thing as it suits my preferred playstyle.  My pc is 6 years old and instead of having to buy a new one for $1500+ I can just get a ps4 for however much it costs...prolly $500-600.  I bet blizzards Titan will even release on console.

As people have previously stated. Gaming PC not nessecerely that expensive any more.

Just get the input devices to suit you, be it mouse and gameing keyboard or something like the razer nostromo (which i currently use). Gamepads. Its all available, and youhave loads of MMOS to chose from instead of just the few featured.

It just cant be compared, the pc is THE platform for handling real big mmos.

Free to live, Free to play!

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I would say it isn't so much about the hardware at all -- it's the user experience you desire (and can have/afford).

I mean that in both terms of game availability as well as how you use the console.  As much as people laud having voice, I would guess that most communication (in mmos) is still done with text boxes, otherwise you would never hear anything (barring you only communicate with your friends in a game).  For that alone, unless you are sitting on top of your tv set or have your chat boxes expanded across your entire tv, then you will likely be using a computer where the monitor is only about 10-14 inches from your face. The other factor is the UI -- gaming consoles, by virtue of being on a tv, can't have very sophisticated interfaces for that same reason of dealing with screen real estate. Otherwise, I guess you could be moving your console back and forth between tv and monitor, assuming you're investing in the additional peripherals that would go along with that....So, I think it comes down to user experience.

I guess I'm fortunate enough to be able to own a PC, a PS3 and a PS Vita (the wii collects dust) - I have no interest in an xbox.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

im very happy with my gaming PC and will keep upgrading (when needed) for gaming purposes. And i will be even happier when i look at my table in my room and see my PS4 next to my PC. That is all i need, and the new iteration of the Vita which ive been expecting since original Vita launched (which i refused to buy).

EDIT: PC is superior than consoles when it comes to multitask, game pricing (lol its true) and hardware potential, BUT that is completely irrelevant when you have more fun gaming on a console. THat being said, whatever system gives you the most gaming enjoyment is the best gaming system for you.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    ms is lunching surface por 2 soon!might be able to play on tablet!(we ll see if ms use similar power to xbox one for surface or better!)intel is getting good at making apu and at 22 nm ! if they supply the option to set tablet on game mode(high performance)and normal mode (very efficient battery life)this could become a very interesting proposition!
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

PC Forever!!!

Becouse its so much more then a console plus a high end PC now is already superior in every aspect to limited PS4/XBOX ONE graphics or in other ways wise.

Its only becouse most games are optimized for consoles and then ported to PC that you console fans think console is better choice.

Money wise offcorse a console is cheaper choice but ima PC fan for building and programming and playing which i can't witha limited console which is more build for kids playing games on TV.

At moment im playing SKYRIM with over 30thousend MODS to choose from do we get those on console????

Don't think so and one of reasons why i always choose PC over console open platform where nobody dictates how i use my hardware/software FREEDOM you dont have with console.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Agoden

Normally I'd recommend a PC, but with a 400-500$ budget it'll never last you long, where as if you're lucky the new console generation might go on for another 6 years.

Get the PS4, it'll stay relevant a lot longer then a useless 400-500$  computer.

this!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

@classicstar:i aint too sure console will be behind computer this time around!why?the way ms is building its console this time around!it looks like they are separating the ram stuff!basicly a lot of stuff in computer make use of ram that probably wouldn't need to .message singal interrupt is a very good exemple!but my question is,why would Microsoft bother with this.line based interrupt no mather how you look at it and in regular today pc a huge majority of component still use line based interrupt!

the response to this is their offload!the 30mb  of 100gb/s +isn't there just for show!ms plan to real time this console!

this mean,they will almost need no resource since they will have fixed the various timer issue wich is usually the root cause why we need so much hardware power .(ya basicly it was to hide the fact timer in computer sucked!i over simplify here but the basic Idea remain!

ms went hard core this time around .they took a subpar cpu and a good gpu and plan to real time it!i don't know about you but trying to real time a console is not a small job!so to resume,i aint sure console wont be on par with todays computer this time around!oh not offloaded they wont .but offloaded?mm I suspect if they did this at server end also xboxs one might actually give user a better quality of gaming then pc!oh its possible to do on pc,but the vast majority rarely get better then 480i looking 1080p

yes the resolution is 1080p but the image is blurred like when we had 480i (for those that remember what I talk about!

anti aliasing?rofl!most of the time is caused by timing issue be it ms not doing a proper job!its like this .ms and intel created a lot of new stuff but ms didn't enable it because of backward compatibility sadly today you cant not offer it at least in menu .ya again the fr4eaking compromise coming to bite back !

and now people are moving to 4 k ,even tho average people still don't get 100% of the 1080p quality they expected ,but then good luck if people don't show them the difference they might not notice and I bet most still wouldn't see it ,to user both would probably look equal since their system cant handle the quality the way they re set.so I suspect xbox one and ps4 will give a b etter experience to average customer!