Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it true that EQ Next is coming out in 2013?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
Thats what this site says. " Status:Development  (est.rel 2013)" I do not think it will be out this year. They havent even done open beta and there is so much stuff not known about the game. I think second half of next year is more likely.

Comments

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    No. EQ Next Landmark is due sometime Winter 2013/14. EQ Next, sometime 2014.
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Negative. It is not. Just the lil builder thingy is .
  • CragfireCragfire Member Posts: 38
    Landmark this "winter" and EQN sometime in 2014 (More then likely, anyway. No offical word on EQN's release date as of yet, just tons of speculation).
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    I don't believe in EQN going earlier than 2015. So far, they have absolutely nothing actually programmed. The level of what they show is at most "proof of concept", certainly not something implemented.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Naw.. Landmark 2013 / 2014 ..

EQN 2015+  ... Earlier if they pull an EA and do a beta release, complete with bugs for paying customers to report (over the next year or 2), while the devs fix problems.

Judging from some of the EQ expansions .. it could be an untested release.  50 / 50.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

>>complete with bugs for paying customers to report<<

Ah, but you forget. It's Free To Play. It's customary, amongst the most sh!tty companies, to release "open beta" of F2P products, so that nobody could complain about HUGE amount of not just bugs, but of not-implemented-features - and yet take real money in their cash shop for not-even-released-product.

Anyone wanna bet on the level of not-sh!tteness of SOE? :)

I'm a huge proponent of F2P, but of F2P done right. And all my faith in SOE can fit in a thimble.

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    God, I hope they are farther along than I think they are. I cannot wait to play. I'm hoping for a 2014 release maybe fall or winter so I can save up for a killer PC to play EQN maxxed out :)
    I am a little surprised they went with stylized graphics, however, I understand their reasons and I'm glad they aren't SO stylized (WoW) just a nice middle ground that looks beautiful and ages well. Anyway, can't wait. Expecting late 2014
  • KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

While EverQuest Next won't be coming out this year; they have been working on this game in some respect since 2009.  They did a reset in 2011 (two years ago) and have been working in earnest since then.  The reveal and subsequent conventions are only used to give us a taste of what the game will be like; not necessarily any indication of how far they are or are not along.  They are keeping how far along they are secret for now.

EverQuest Next Landmark will be coming out this winter, possibly even this year.  Landmark is built using the same tools as EverQuest Next.  Landmark and Next share a big good deal of programming.  The overland and sub-ground layers are built in the same way for both games; procedurally.

EverQuest Next Landmark will be an excellent way to judge how far along they actually are with EverQuest Next. 

To everyone, all we need to do it wait patiently and all will be revealed in due time.  Keep watching the official site and the twitter feeds.  Ignore what most people on this board espouse; they don't know any more then the rest of us.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    agree with the above posters 2015+ for EQN  - Landmark this year
  • ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

Landmark was announced for 2013 and "this winter".

Landmark is supposed to feature all races, most character interaction/mechanics besides combat which does imply that eq2 development is pretty far just lacking tuning for combat and content(part of that should come from landmark but i think most stuff coming from landmark is going to be used for later rallaying calls) . In addition there is this comment about a 6 month development cycle after landmark goes live that could imply EQN will release summer 2014 and that is a plausible date. From a PR point of view i would think release after SOE Fan Faire(maybe right after it and some exclusive stuff for fan faire).

Originally posted by ghorgos

Landmark was announced for 2013 and "this winter".

Landmark is supposed to feature all races, most character interaction/mechanics besides combat which does imply that eq2 development is pretty far just lacking tuning for combat and content(part of that should come from landmark but i think most stuff coming from landmark is going to be used for later rallaying calls) . In addition there is this comment about a 6 month development cycle after landmark goes live that could imply EQN will release summer 2014 and that is a plausible date. From a PR point of view i would think release after SOE Fan Faire(maybe right after it and some exclusive stuff for fan faire).

I personally hope they get it done and released before SOE Live! 2014.  But from a marketing standpoint it makes sense to announce the games release date during SOE Live! Be it immediately after or later.  I am sure that the marketing folks are clearly telling the management that not doing so would harm their IP. 

Originally posted by Margulis
    agree with the above posters 2015+ for EQN  - Landmark this year

There is no evidence that they have announced that allows anyone on this forum to make up a release date.  It may be next year, it may be later but know one knows how far along they are because no one has told us yet.  Let them finish building Landmark for release this year or very early next year.  Once they finish Landmark I am certain more and more info will be released about Next.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Grahor

>>complete with bugs for paying customers to report<<

Ah, but you forget. It's Free To Play. It's customary, amongst the most sh!tty companies, to release "open beta" of F2P products

I'm a huge proponent of F2P, but of F2P done right. And all my faith in SOE can fit in a thimble.

SOE's Free Realms released as ftp

it was a very stable release

PlanetSide2 - I cannot speak for,  didnt play it

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

to my knowledge the SOE FTP is different as you can easily bypass all the  cashshop bs by getting a gold or all access pass.

if someone can correct me, please do.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

If I had to throw out a random guess

Landmark will come out this year with some features not implemented (like deep character customization and race choices) which will probably get added in later.

EQNext will go into one of those new "Beta's" in August 8th, 2014, in which you can spend money on things and they promise not to wipe the characters and you acknowledge the game isn't done yet but you can play anyway. It would have come out in Aug 3rd 2014 but they are going to have technical difficulties and the main networking guy will be out sick delaying it to the 8th.

The PowerBall for that week will be 17 by the way.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    I don't believe in EQN going earlier than 2015. So far, they have absolutely nothing actually programmed. The level of what they show is at most "proof of concept", certainly not something implemented.

Listen to this guy.

He has been inside the Black box and is actually a developer for the team working on this title....

He will probably be fired just for releaseing this inforamtion...

Or...

The best GUESS anyone can have is that winter means late this year or early next year with no real indication of when a full release of EQN will be.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    ....So far, they have absolutely nothing actually programmed. The level of what they show is at most "proof of concept", certainly not something implemented.

Dramatic overexaggeration.

It took a ton of programming to support the cooperative build-out sessions, the parkour videos, the live combat sessions, the boss fights complete with effects, the building and terrain destruction, etc.

FWIW, I agree that Winter 2015 is the earliest launch window, but they've clearly got a lot of the core engine systems in place.  What they don't have are the gameplay layers.

Originally posted by dandurin
    ....So far, they have absolutely nothing actually programmed. The level of what they show is at most "proof of concept", certainly not something implemented.

Dramatic overexaggeration.

It took a ton of programming to support the cooperative build-out sessions, the parkour videos, the live combat sessions, the boss fights complete with effects, the building and terrain destruction, etc.

FWIW, I agree that Winter 2015 is the earliest launch window, but they've clearly got a lot of the core engine systems in place.  What they don't have are the gameplay layers.

Disclaimer: all said here is based on my experience in programming single-player games, and not on my experience in programming mmorpgs. And no, I was not under Smedley's table watching how it was done. But I have eyes and brain which is a lot more than most people here may brag about.

Yes, this one is an exaggeration, no doubt. But the core engine is something done by 3-5 core team programmers, working on the engine for some months (considering they already use that engine in other games). Parkour part looks like "wow, we made that movement library to work with our engine! Good work, guys! Great 3 weeks of work!".

The game itself is created by many dozens of programmers, designers, etc working for years in a coordinated effort, and I don't see it at all. 

We see a lot of "we have plans", "we haven't decided yet", "we are thinking about" with added "it's gonna be epic".