Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AO: beta testing for new graphics engine

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

don't need to have an active account to join this beta

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/03/anarchy-online-opens-beta-testing-for-new-graphics-engine/

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=607346

Monthly Development Update - 3rd September 2013

Hi everybody,
I am very happy today to announce the beginning of beta for the new rendering engine signups. Please follow this link to sign-up for the closed beta. https://register.funcom.com/account/ao_beta/ctrl/

We will be inviting people into the closed beta in waves and eventually we will drop the NDA and transition the closed beta to the open beta. For now we hope that players, both past and present, will indicate their interest by signing up.

In these early stages of the closed beta, we will not provide the ability to copy over characters to the beta server. This is because the New Player Experience is also available in the closed beta and we would like to get as many eyes on this new content as possible. As the beta progresses, we will add the ability to copy over characters and gather focused feedback on higher level areas.

In other news, the itemshop has undergone a visual revamp which will be released on Tuesday the 3rd of September. This update will also contain a new sub-category system for easier browsing and all the items in the itemshop have been resorted for this purpose. Less popular social items will be removed and some new items will be added. Among them are the long awaited SSC "Bastion" Nanopaint Chip, Old English Trading Company Retropads, a Bucket helmet and of course, your new best friend: The Pink Silvertail.

Genele has been hard at work revamping the whompah system. I'll let her provide all of the new details about where the new whompah outposts will be added in her update next month. Macrosun has been teaching the residents of Rubi-Ka about rainmaps in the new engine - finally the citizens of Rubi-Ka have fixed all of the holes in their ceilings. Nobody likes a soggy leet.

That's it for this update, thanks for listening!

Comments

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I couldn't sign up.  So I believe this beta is for current paying customers only.  Anyone else with a "free" account able to sign up?  It's been too long since I created my AO info I had to use my AoC/TSW account.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    (removed)
  • R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

One word: unbelievable!

Signed ofc, but still can't believe it.

[[i]edit[/i]]

I just signed with account frozen, so... 

Was paid long ago in 2009. 

B)
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

Im afraid the update is a bit too late. The update will make it look better but not amazing.

If graphics update was the only thing this game needed I think far more would still be playing it.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Nasa

Im afraid the update is a bit too late. The update will make it look better but not amazing.

If graphics update was the only thing this game needed I think far more would still be playing it.

That worst p2w itemshop ever seen in online gaming came and extreme dumbing down about 4-5 years ago which has been continuing process.

+ i dont see them saying anything about Dreamworld engine.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/03/anarchy-online-opens-beta-testing-for-new-graphics-engine/

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=607346

Monthly Development Update - 3rd September 2013

Hi everybody,
    I am very happy today to announce the beginning of beta for the new rendering engine signups. Please follow this link to sign-up for the closed beta. https://register.funcom.com/account/ao_beta/ctrl/

We will be inviting people into the closed beta in waves and eventually we will drop the NDA and transition the closed beta to the open beta. For now we hope that players, both past and present, will indicate their interest by signing up.

In these early stages of the closed beta, we will not provide the ability to copy over characters to the beta server. This is because the New Player Experience is also available in the closed beta and we would like to get as many eyes on this new content as possible. As the beta progresses, we will add the ability to copy over characters and gather focused feedback on higher level areas.

In other news, the itemshop has undergone a visual revamp which will be released on Tuesday the 3rd of September. This update will also contain a new sub-category system for easier browsing and all the items in the itemshop have been resorted for this purpose. Less popular social items will be removed and some new items will be added. Among them are the long awaited SSC "Bastion" Nanopaint Chip, Old English Trading Company Retropads, a Bucket helmet and of course, your new best friend: The Pink Silvertail.

Genele has been hard at work revamping the whompah system. I'll let her provide all of the new details about where the new whompah outposts will be added in her update next month. Macrosun has been teaching the residents of Rubi-Ka about rainmaps in the new engine - finally the citizens of Rubi-Ka have fixed all of the holes in their ceilings. Nobody likes a soggy leet.

That's it for this update, thanks for listening!

Oh, cool!

With this, Anarchy Online should be caught up to Vanilla WoW for graphics. Now, if they could only see how that Store destroyed the game.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Still the best and most complex game on the market. When that graphics upgrade hits, I will subsrcibe faster than you can say Atrox.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

Originally posted by Harafnir
    Still the best and most complex game on the market. When that graphics upgrade hits, I will subsrcibe faster than you can say Atrox.

How long ago were you subbed?

You may be sorely disappointed in the direction the game has taken since they started developing content around the store.

Graphics aside, the game is a shell of it's former self.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Harafnir

How long ago were you subbed?

You may be sorely disappointed in the direction the game has taken since they started developing content around the store.

Graphics aside, the game is a shell of it's former self.

Not subbed since SL. Froobing on and off until this day, playing it old school, never even looked in the store. I go in, run missions, go to old school spawn points, spend a lot of time crafting. Just enjoying it all. If you want to play it like before, its just as it was when I left it. If you want to use the store, of course it gets flipping different.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124
    They could at least make previous paid subscribers eligable for the beta so we can see whats comming. I can understand why they dont invite the foobs, but I paid a lot of money i8nto this game years ago, would be nice if they would throw a few invites to previous subbers.

I just get a kick out of how old this "new" engine really is. Well, at least the game will be on par with 2006 graphics.

I knew even before I ever looked at that screenshot, it would be full of Light Rays and Fog.

LOL.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    This Update was due back in 2005.  So your getting an 8yo graphics update.   Sorry not interested.  Back when i left in 2005 they were already talking about that update, so if you think this update would bring the game in par with 2013 games, think again, it will look like a 2005 game instead of a 2001.
  • krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139
    If you are testing it, please post some of your feedback here; eager to see how it turned out.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

You don't have to be subscribed to sign up.

I just signed up With an inactive account.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Are they even updating character models? Those were the things that needed updating the most. The environments aren't that bad, just the character models.

• krekenkreken Member UncommonPosts: 139

I just logged into account management and don't see an option to participate in beta. Does anybody have a link?

edit: NVM, failed to read first post.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Nadia

seen at the comments for massively:

I just talked to a Funcom GM and the beta is for paid accounts only. If you are free or have cancelled your subscription you are out of luck like me.

Not true. I could sign up With my InActive account.

Be sure to attach Your dxdiag file, as that might be the reason registration fails perhaps?

• Hero001Hero001 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    If you read the updates you would understand why it took so long to implement. Basically 1/2 people worked on converting the code to the AoC engine, while a small team converted art assets. For a game the size of AO it's a miracle it is even happening. From the posts that I've read now that they've converted the code, which had some of the strangest methods to hear it, new life should come back to Funcom's flag ship. It will certainly be easier to maintain and update for them. Everquest is as dated, are they doing something to update it, not that I've heard. Credit where credit is due, no one else has tried to breath life back into a really solid game, Save perhaps when Eve overhauled its assets.

So perhaps instead of crying too little too late, why not see, after all the base game is essentially free. Hats off to the people that made it possible with blood sweat and a lot of tears.
    Celebrate the fact that a company cares enough about its product/world to attempt this. Instead of just shutting it down.

• TrappinTrappin Member UncommonPosts: 66

"Everquest is as dated, are they doing something to update it"

SOE upgraded the engine in  2004/5

Orc, Kobold and Goblin and loads of other models were updated YEARS ago. Character models were updated during the Luclin era  - YEARS ago.

SOE updated zones Lavastorm, Nektulos Forest, East and West Commons, North Ro, Oasis of Marr, South Ro, Innotjhule Swamp, Misty Thicket and more many YEARS ago. Players hated the new graphic updates so SOE stopped fiddling with old content.

SOE added classes  Beastlord and Berserker and races Var Shar,  Iksar,  Drakkin, Froglok.  Funcom added  classes Keeper and Shade and no new races.

EverQuest has 20 exapnsions while  Funcom added 1 expansion Shadowlands and 4 booster packs - Notum Wars / Alien Invasion / Lost Eden and XAN

Funcom had one full time employee working on a new engine for 8 years, the class rebalance has been been delayed and project leads have changed five or six times. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by JeroKane

You don't have to be subscribed to sign up.

I just signed up With an inactive account.

thanks for clarifying image

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Been waiting for this for a long time.. will jump back in once its released.

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

I just successfully signed up with my froob account and I personally can't wait. :D

I used to have a paying account after SL came out and when I finally quit I gave all my high end symbiotes away. Kinda regret that now.

Anarchy Online is huge rich game and one with a level of depth not seen since. I mean nanos?! The Armour sets?! The dungeons?! The world bosses. AO has everything that every other MMO claims to have or will have.

Who cares that this is late? Bring it on. They could change nothing but the graphics and it would still be awesome.

And they dumbed it down? How? The shop ruined the game? How? Please explain instead of just making blanket statements.

Eagerly waiting the wave that will let me in :D

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Well, we'll get to see if a graphics upgrade will actually revitalize a game or not.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Hero001Hero001 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Trappin

"Everquest is as dated, are they doing something to update it"

SOE upgraded the engine in  2004/5

Orc, Kobold and Goblin and loads of other models were updated YEARS ago. Character models were updated during the Luclin era  - YEARS ago.

SOE updated zones Lavastorm, Nektulos Forest, East and West Commons, North Ro, Oasis of Marr, South Ro, Innotjhule Swamp, Misty Thicket and more many YEARS ago. Players hated the new graphic updates so SOE stopped fiddling with old content.

SOE added classes  Beastlord and Berserker and races Var Shar,  Iksar,  Drakkin, Froglok.  Funcom added  classes Keeper and Shade and no new races.

EverQuest has 20 exapnsions while  Funcom added 1 expansion Shadowlands and 4 booster packs - Notum Wars / Alien Invasion / Lost Eden and XAN

Funcom had one full time employee working on a new engine for 8 years, the class rebalance has been been delayed and project leads have changed five or six times. 

Ofc EQ had to get updates, it sits in a saturated fantasy market. Not so with AO. Also SoE had many techs to draw on while updating EQ, the Graphics overhaul I believe was a test of some of the techniques they were going to use in SWG.

You still however poke with two handed blunt weapons. Hoping to see updated animations with the new AO overhaul.

Better late than never.

• TrappinTrappin Member UncommonPosts: 66

This

Everquest is as dated, are they doing something to update it, not that I've heard.

And this

Ofc EQ had to get updates, it sits in a saturated fantasy market

Okay, SOE has in fact updated Everquest, contrary to what you claimed originally.  I'm not the one making you type those words, so why argue with me about it? I forgot to mention Funcom did update RK ground textures and RK mission texture files when LE launched. 

If you want to talk about broken game features then don't forget to mention AO's problems.

-Riposte and parry skills broken for years.

-Fall damage broken for years.

-Backyard zoning bug present since launch day.

-Rubberbanding, warping and client-game server snyc problems since beta.

One more issue, and it's a game breaker for me and many other players. The time required to get bots for AI armor. I stopped subscribing because of this artificial cockblock to advancing characters.