Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 Things DAoC did right in the early 00s that MMOs today ignore, are ignorant to, or took a decade

13»

Comments

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
          Instead of trying ot make better games than EQ1 and DAOC which they just can't seem to do making me lose interest after 10 years of BS why don't they just remake them with AOC graphics. I would play both in a heartbeat.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Wizardry

FFXI did all of that except no real focus on anything PVP which i am more than fine with,you can't mix them anyhow,it will never work.# realms as well but opened up to more choice as you venture out of the realms.

FFXI's crafting was and probably is the most robust of any game but no it did not boast the best weapons and again i am ok with that,it does have it's uses.Gear until recently really was never the big factor in combat it was group play,something games now a days do not get at all.

Eq2 has their guild emblems on their cloaks,also has a robust craft system everything you need in a game except again no real focus on pvp,again imo that is a good point.

Too many people keep pointing to pvp and idk why,it is NEVER done well let alone right.Pvp in every single game is nothing more than have players stand out in the open and spam their dps.I come from a pvp background,i was more into pvp than rpg's at one time.I am used to cosntant strategy,trying to out think your opponent or to confuse him,using and knowing when to take cover and knowing how to play a map.I also found that utilizing z axis was huge in pvp,NONE of these factors are present in rpg pvp games.ALso in good pvp you have to make choices on weapon selection again in rpg's there is no such strategies.

I take it from your comments you haven't or don't play DAOC?  I'm currently playing a 2003 version of it and it has all of these things, strategy, proper tactics and it is clear why some groups win and how they properly use the game mechanics and design.

These tools have existed for over 10 years, but have been largely forgotten by the mainstream MMO's, so I'm not surprised you feel the way you do about MMO combat.

Exactly - this definitely supports my previous post.

• SilkravenSilkraven Member UncommonPosts: 74
    To bad Trials of Atlantis came along. Very much enjoyment before that.
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

I really don't see the point in swooping in on your air of superiority and making smarmy post in every thread attempting to lump them into one.  If people are having a discussion then why not let them do so without your own ironic perpetual post?

In the gentle hope that some day the forum (in general) moves beyond 2003. Or at least peeks into this century.

But you're right, I should stick only to MOD-safe backhanded insults (like yours), and aimed at one of the four standard mmorpg.com approved-to-hate groups.

A) WoW players, B) Themepark (in general) players, C) F2P players, or D) Youth.

I just consolidate your groups into one WoW-playing, F2P supporting, Themepark loving bunch of youth and save myself the effort of bashing in 4 different threads image

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

There should just be a button at the top of the page, to save posters needing to re-enter this stuff every day.

Well, maybe you could create a new thread instead of adding nothing but smarmy post. 

A new thread about...perpetual posts that never stop coming?

I was just trying to save them some time; surely they have ten years of back-posts to copy/pasta from?

We could auto-generate standard text, even "/rawr me too" standard replies. Or if that's too impersonal, maybe some fill in the blanks? Multiple choice?

Would you like to add a couple of paragraphs about These Kids Today? (y/n)

Actually, I think your post tend to be more perpetual than anything other people post about.  The OP gave an original post about specific things from DAoC that today's MMORPG don't have.  Please find me a thread repeating the same thing.  Not the general topic that MMORPG's are lacking.  

I really don't see the point in swooping in on your air of superiority and making smarmy post in every thread attempting to lump them into one.  If people are having a discussion then why not let them do so without your own ironic perpetual post?

If you look over her posts, you'll find that 90% or more of their posts in no way contribute to the thread/conversation. It's quite often just one liners. If not then just some sort of representation of their arrogance and self important attitude. This is why I typically have her on ignore so I don't have to skimp over the same thing over and over again. She rarely has anything to add. If you do the same, you'll find you aren't missing a thing from ANY thread.

With that said, I see nothing wrong with the OP's post. Like other industries, sometimes it's discovered that what was done in the past is better than the present. In this case, for some, a return to DAOC style mechanics would be a welcomed change. 

• bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

TOA helped kill Camelot... however even after TOA I had a blast just doing /level and running thidranki till I capped out and then making a new /level to play on.  I even had a set of gear made exclusively for thidranki on my characters... I loved my scout and infiltrator.... and doing an air pet spamming elementalist was fun too not to mention running a 2 hand axe skald with that 1 time drop 100% axe.

I loved bonedancer class, loved necromancer class, loved my thane, and that the thane could focus on melee or casting, valkyrie was fun, shaman was fun, friar was pretty cool too and heretic and reavers are awesome now too. The armor especially the epic armor just looked awesome, made my own legendary staffs and while click and wait 5 minutes and pray you got a skill up was frustrating you know it was actually worth while unlike todays mmo where everything you make is pointless with raids and patches...

I would play DAOC right now if they came out with a FTP model with some kind of cash shop but  no interest in paying 15 a month on what DAOC has become where you can have multiple realms on same servers and still having to deal with artifacts and the grinds for them and master levels.... yuck!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by bestman22

I would play DAOC right now if they came out with a FTP model with some kind of cash shop but  no interest in paying 15 a month on what DAOC has become where you can have multiple realms on same servers and still having to deal with artifacts and the grinds for them and master levels.... yuck!

It's funny how me and you are somewhat in the same boat. Except I would only return if it was a sub model, no cash shop and no TOA. They had classic servers opened years ago but due to their lack of advertising I missed out.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by madazz

With that said, I see nothing wrong with the OP's post. Like other industries, sometimes it's discovered that what was done in the past is better than the present. In this case, for some, a return to DAOC style mechanics would be a welcomed change. 

That is the issue. Is "some" big enough to support a game?

And "better" is subjective. Usually the market evolves in the direction that is "better" for a majority ... because that is how you make money.

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

I have to agree majorly with the OP. Todays games just cannot match up to old school EQ1 and DAoC. They had so much more that it was scary and daunting but that just added to the excitement. DAoC was amazing with its content. The player housing was great also especially as you could send people looking for your house to avoid the broker fee and save a bit of cash.

The only things that I may have to say are these days a bit out dated is especially the raid system and the dungeon system. I did like the contested dungeons especially Darkness Falls. Especially the contested raid content though just can't hang in there vs todays world. To many want it and to few can control hence have SOME world raid content but have some instanced as well. I liked some of the old shared dungeons as well were you didn't have your own instance but there should be multiple instances per server depending on the amount of people in that dungeon. Old school it did suck a bit waiting in line to get a spot on a boss camp that could take hours and all you do is sit and sit such as in EQ1.

Great post by the OP thou.

If only todays MMO makers took some lessons from EQ1 and DAoC we could see some amazing games. But now the content is really lacking and very linear. Was especially great where you had a dozen or more class's and races and each one felt unique with its own story and its own quest area's for quite some time.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

EQ1 and DAOC are definitely awesome games, nothing today even compares

I remember the early days of DAOC there were NO maps. You actually had to explore to find the dungeons, and when you did, you had to use landmarks to remember where it was

The players that knew the most spots became very popular. The community was a-buzz!

I Miss those days

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Syanis

/snip

If only todays MMO makers took some lessons from EQ1 and DAoC we could see some amazing games. But now the content is really lacking and very linear. Was especially great where you had a dozen or more class's and races and each one felt unique with its own story and its own quest area's for quite some time.

Amazing games for who?

Might be amazing for you but it wasn't for me.

I thought EQ1 / DAoC were awful games.

Both of us have our preferences except my preference is the majority.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by jpnz

/snip

Amazing games for who?

Amazing games for millions of players, even today after more than 10 years.

Oh, and they still have a sub, because the games are that good

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by jpnz

/snip

Amazing games for who?

Well this only goes to show the majority can be wrong in their preferences.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SkogSonSkogSon Member Posts: 59

+1 on this.

Alot of the MMOS of today seem to have even regressed.

Free to live, Free to play!

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Utinni
    Almost all of these points applied to multiple early MMO's. It's what MMORPG was built on and somehow slid off of the foundation into something that can be played on a leapfrog.

Yes most mmo's in those days including Asheron's call mmo's had most of these points but this is in today's mmo's unthinkable.
    If you have open dungeons these days you would have crybabys like tsunami whole day everyday of the month ingame and forums.

Most points would not work anymore the general populations of gamers has changed so much its BEYOND REPAIR.

For me the reason why i abandon the mmorpg scene and play solo games i can't stand todays mmorpgs anymore plus the inhabitants(playerbase) it hold these days its so worse im gald no part of it anymore.

Daoc was not special more had these points you mentioned but there lays also problem.

My dad(or mom) is better then yours, you never learn do you people:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

My favorite MMO experience EVER. Can only pray Camelot Unchained can capture the magic again. Sadly with today's MMO community I doubt it, they would kill Daoc before it released if it were coming out today.

MMO's did not change by themselves, the people who now play them changed them. Thank WoW for that one.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!