Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel Free to Subscribers

2»

Comments

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I doubt it will boost sub numbers or population, they made a pig mess of the game. I'll give one reason to play, and that is to experience the story of each class. They have brilliant twists and turns in the story and I enjoyed it very much. But other than that it isn't worth playing.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by rolandhyatt
    slap in face if you pre order and purchased this at release..

Thats why you dont preorder....There was no need to preorder this....Also I didnt know SWTOR had any subscribers.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by rolandhyatt
    slap in face if you pre order and purchased this at release..

Thats why you dont preorder....There was no need to preorder this....Also I didnt know SWTOR had any subscribers.

All you have to do is log in to see the population is fairly healthy.

And most active players appear to be subscribers as well.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Free?

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Karteli

EA made their money off of RotHC sales.... now sales have fallen to near zilch, and its suddenly "free".

Then there is the problem of subscribers getting "their money back", via free $10 worth of Cartel Coins, along with a free title, so long as they already bought the DLC.

EA: Just make the frickin game free already and stop playing games.  I understand you like media attention, and the RotHC announcement, then BIG announcement (RotHC release date), then Release, then free RotHC for subscribers, are just media hooks.

Milk the money, but damn .. give us better announcements, than the same content promos over and over.  I mean you reveal what any SWTOR player already knows (or already paid for) .......  Expect 1 year for SSSP.  ..!..

My bet is still the SSSP in late 2014 / mid 2015 :P

(1 year development, 6 months hassling the customers, 6 months promoting .. (6 months defending and promoting current content while SSSP is readied).  12 months fixing bugs)..... (SNAP!). 2016, there ya go.

edit: OK I was being silly .. the 12 months to fix bugs was a joke ..release it as soon as it's done, just like every content update to date.     2015.

Do you really think it will take that long ? You do know they are hiring testers for October , it might be the SSSP or other content but i doubt they will hold back that after it's tested , they need something ready for the spring to counter the forth coming MMO's.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Free?

Haha!  My thoughts exactly.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Translation: most non-subscribers didn't buy the expansion so maybe if we include it with a sub we can get those players to pay $14.95 to subscribe for a month to get it.

That was my first thought too, these people are so backwards its mind boggling.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by JeroKane

People should be more worried that a game with such a big IP as this, has to resort to making a micro expansion already free just 6 months later to make news headlines to desperately keep it in the spotlights.

I mean, other games make News headlines with actual "exciting" content, features and expansion updates. You know.... give their customers encouragement and satisfaction that their game is still activily supported, instead of being completely milked to the point of nothing but laughable and sheer sadness.

I don't see how this is a desperate attempt to be in spotlight? did you see this annoucement on billboards around your city or on television? newspaper or a magazine?

Way to make a mountain out of a mole there bud. No matter what BW/EA does it is just 'desperate'. 

Well atleast you didn't say game will be dead in 6 months so kudos to you for that.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't, seems to be the case with everything TOR. It's been that way since before release. While I can see those who paid for it before being upset about this, such is the way of things with products that don't meet expected demand. We should be accustomed to it as gamers. Be it single-player, multiplayer, PC or console this type of thing is normal. One month a game is 60 bucks a month later its practically giving itself away in some cases. It's just the way of the gaming business.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    wait wait wait.......they reward the loyalty of  those who bought it recently with 1050 SC coins but if you were really loyal and bought it when it came out you get a title and no coins? Am I reading this right? Either myself or the person at SWTOR who did this is retarded and I think it's me, because I actually expected better than this.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

After leaving the game shortly after launch, I returned about two weeks ago to see what was different.  I was satisfied enough with the advances the game has made to stick around.  I subbed up, and bought RotHC two days ago. 

Being someone who falls into the "free title and coins" timeframe, I'm satisfied with the items given.  I'd have been a little irritated if they suddenly made RotCH free to subscribers without any announcement two days after I purchased it, and given me no compensation for that purchase. 

What's being offered is perfectly fair to me, but I do think that they should give subscribers who purchased the X-pac something as well.  Give them the title or a few hundred extra cartel coins for supporting the game.  While server population seems fairly stable and healthy, good customer service will go a long way toward keeping it that way.   

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    If they are going to advertise it as free to play, you shouldn't have to pay for one specific zone, IMO. You should only be paying for cash shop items.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    The Ad makes it out like they're doing some great thing for people....
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

You are correct in your assumption huskie77 "wait wait wait.......they reward the loyalty of  those who bought it recently with 1050 SC coins but if you were really loyal and bought it when it came out you get a title and no coins? Am I reading this right? Either myself or the person at SWTOR who did this is retarded and I think it's me, because I actually expected better than this."

Which would also explain why there are 73 pages  of not so favorable posts  to Biowares latest marketing ploy. Another aspect to look at is  why should any one preorder any Expansion that they may be releasing in the future if a few months later they are going to give that content away for free.

• athynzathynz Member UncommonPosts: 9

"Additionally, players who have already purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel and are an active Subscriber on September 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT will receive a new title, “The Risen,” via in-game mail on or before September 25, 2013 as our appreciation for the purchase.

Finally, Subscribers who purchase Rise of the Hutt Cartel between August 11, 2013 and September 12, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT will be granted 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel. The 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins will be granted by September 13, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT"

No you read it right - I preordered the DLC and now all I get is the title and no credits? Really EA, really? How about you give some credits to ALL who purchased it from the preorder to September 12th? 

<quote>Calerxes writes:

Originally posted by jpnz

Apparently giving away expansion packs is now a cardinal sin or something. /facepalm

EA / Bioware isn't a saint in any gamers eyes but the response to this is just 'really? FACEPALM' material.

These are the same people they call other gamers "entitled" I bet you.</quote>

Nope - not in my case. Giving the expansion away is cool as long as those of us who paid for it (vs getting it for free) get something other than just an in game title... basically anyone who preordered or purchased the expansion before August 11th got hosed.

I love the game but despise the management behind it.