Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon GRINDER for Tokens: Let the gear grind games begin!

124»

Comments

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Gravarg

You can tell people who didn't play FFXI long.  There is sooooo much more to do at 50 than just gear grind...

Even though you're not forced to group to level like in FFXI, the OP said it, this is still a very social oriented game.  At 50 the more friends you have, the better off you'll be.

Agreed.

It seems like a lot of people wrote the game off before hitting 20, which is fine.  The game certainly appeals to one type of crowd and is going to upset another because of it.

Im also seeing a lot of complaints regarding game play based on the optional way to progress.  People think farming fates is the best way to level up...its not the best way, perhaps fastest way however...you are putting yourself at an endgame disadvantage racing though levels on fates...as well as netting you nearly no GIL...and no gear.  Not to mention you skip out on a great story.

You level up fast enough your first class though...why not do it in a manner that's the most enjoyable, rather than the most efficient way to gain levels and the most boring method?  Some will prefer fate farming though...I get that..just for those who hate it...why continue to play the game like that?

If you ask me, if you wanted a game with quick progression, no farming, no real progression, and nothing but dynamic events...well they got this game that specializes in that...this isn't that type of game, and it wont be. They don't hide what type of game this is trying to be either.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

Race to cap like your life depended on it, mindlessly grind gear, only to have it rendered useless in next xpac.

or

Don't race to top, enjoy the journey, and enjoy the gear in next xpac if your there by the time the xpac comes out.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    The word is EASY.. this MMO is just way to easy... thats good and bad.. 
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Its copying WOW dungeon gear treadmill so no surprise there. I stopped playing at 50 because i am done with gear grinding.

And WoW copies EQ/DAoC/FFXI.  Know why?  It's called basic MMORPG gameplay.  Grouping, gear carrot, progression (which is just gear carrot/treadmill).  If you don't like it, why do you play MMORPGs?  For the amazing quality solo ez-mode idiocy like the solo quest content in this game or the even worse moron mode stuff like fate grinding in this game?

This game has some of the most dumbed down and simplistic questing, story, zerg - leveling content - of all of MMORPG history.  It couldn't get any dumber without just having everyone login and be 50.  The gathering and crafting are both more involved and challenging than any of the combat leveling.  It's kind of silly.

The only remotely decent content in this game is the group content, which starts off dumbed down to preschool levels but picks up nicely over time.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Voqar
    Its copying WOW dungeon gear treadmill so no surprise there. I stopped playing at 50 because i am done with gear grinding.

And WoW copies EQ/DAoC/FFXI.  Know why?  It's called basic MMORPG gameplay.  Grouping, gear carrot, progression (which is just gear carrot/treadmill).  If you don't like it, why do you play MMORPGs?  For the amazing quality solo ez-mode idiocy like the solo quest content in this game or the even worse moron mode stuff like fate grinding in this game?

This game has some of the most dumbed down and simplistic questing, story, zerg - leveling content - of all of MMORPG history.  It couldn't get any dumber without just having everyone login and be 50.  The gathering and crafting are both more involved and challenging than any of the combat leveling.  It's kind of silly.

The only remotely decent content in this game is the group content, which starts off dumbed down to preschool levels but picks up nicely over time.

Wait....did you just use circular logic to invalidate your own post.....and the poster you were trying to agree with?

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I like a medium high difficult gear grind curve. Eq1 was hard, GW2 is super easy not counting legendaries. WoW and Rift pretty much hit the sweet spot. From the sound it FFXIV seems to be a but more harder than WoW? Probably too early to tell.
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Husvik

Race to cap like your life depended on it, mindlessly grind gear, only to have it rendered useless in next xpac.

or

Don't race to top, enjoy the journey, and enjoy the gear in next xpac if your there by the time the xpac comes out.

Ya, I mean, if someone likes the game, why are they rushing to "finish" it. To not play it any more? /mind boggle

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

That's why I'm a future White Mage that comes equiped with a future Paladin and a Dragoon.

It's so much easier to adjust for the stupidity of one player, rather than the ignorance of an entire party.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by LizardEgypt

Yeah the genre isn't going to change until something large comes and makes it change. In the mean time a 3 week old game (reboot is irrelevant) is likely to be lacking additional content, most of the planned features are a horizon away. There are more issues with these games than the tired ancient model. As I've said. I am not a fan of the gear treadmill style of design either, but I'm also trying to play the game to enjoy adventuring through the content in front of me, and not worrying about the future of it. 

I disagree that reboot is irrelevant. Yoshida did many surveys on official forums and had tons of feedback and player data with him. So he had the oppertunity to grab pulse of the players and make a MMO which will be a lot more than just copy of WOW's gear treadmill at level cap.

The reason which kept me playing till lvl 50 is because i have said it multiple times that leveling is the best part of the game and once you hit 50 everything falls apart..reminds you of any other MMO? yeah just every other single themepark MMO in past.

I have lost account how many times i have heard that 'not worth continuing past free month' in forums, chat and in my FC. And i don't blame players for quitting because not everyone is into hamster wheel gear treadmil. 

I found the leveling to be rather boring. The main story was great, very well told but the whole path to 50 ) was like a tutorial.(did it for the new jobs since i am legacy and alraedy have 50's)

The real challenges start at 50. Titan Hard Mode is probably the first real test and its a complete halt for progression if you can not beat it. This will most likely anger a lot of people but this game is meant to be played with a group and not with pugs. Coils of Bahamut does not have a duty finder.

Yoshida already mentioned that dungeons and encounters will have a gear check to enter.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Zeblade

You have no idea what you are talking about.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Murugan

He probably does. What you don't want to understand is that people play games in different ways. For example when it comes to themeparks I can't diggest the so called endgame gear treadmill. It becomes easy and super boring after you learn the scripts and clear a dungeon for the first time. Some new shiny pixels are not enaugh to keep me playing for long.

So instead I find the whole leveling experience either worth it ot not buying (and playing) a themepark mmorpg.

For example TOR and TSW, I played both and I really enjoyed the leveling experience and I found it easy to immerse myself along the way. I played to max lvl, went through all the dungeons, even raided a bit. But once I experience most of it, the journey ends for me when all there is left is gear grind through repeating same dungeons/quests/fates/whatever.

So what does this have to do with FFARR? Well first of all it has the same boring gear treadmill "endgame". Which for me means that MY "endgame" is actually the whole experience of exploring from level one to whenever I'm hit hard by repeating same shit into infinity. Unfortunately FFARR already felt mind numbingly boring in it's cookie cutter straighforwardness (easy yes) after I leveld to 30+17. The lovely graphics weren't enaugh to keep me so I've quit.

And to those who want to argument this discussion with socializing  being the key to enjoyment... while that is very true in it's own way, it's also very true that watching paint dry can be very entertaining if you spend it with good company.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by Murugan

He probably does. What you don't want to understand is that people play games in different ways. For example when it comes to themeparks I can't diggest the so called endgame gear treadmill. It becomes easy and super boring after you learn the scripts and clear a dungeon for the first time. Some new shiny pixels are not enaugh to keep me playing for long.

So instead I find the whole leveling experience either worth it ot not buying (and playing) a themepark mmorpg.

For example TOR and TSW, I played both and I really enjoyed the leveling experience and I found it easy to immerse myself along the way. I played to max lvl, went through all the dungeons, even raided a bit. But once I experience most of it, the journey ends for me when all there is left is gear grind through repeating same dungeons/quests/fates/whatever.

So what does this have to do with FFARR? Well first of all it has the same boring gear treadmill "endgame". Which for me means that MY "endgame" is actually the whole experience of exploring from level one to whenever I'm hit hard by repeating same shit into infinity. Unfortunately FFARR already felt mind numbingly boring in it's cookie cutter straighforwardness (easy yes) after I leveld to 30+17. The lovely graphics weren't enaugh to keep me so I've quit.

And to those who want to argument this discussion with socializing  being the key to enjoyment... while that is very true in it's own way, it's also very true that watching paint dry can be very entertaining if you spend it with good company.

Why would you ever think this was the MMORPG for you?  This is not a sandbox, no one cares that you like sandboxes and hate the "grind" of themepark MMORPG endgames.  Whatever, that's great good for you.  Go play a different game.

What does any of that have to do with the game being "easy".  Pretty sure the person I quoted has not beat bahamut, and I'd wager he has not beaten even titan hard yet.

There are most definitely many very difficult encounters already in ARR's endgame.  Most people 95%+ struggle with them.  Even if the person I was responding to (before you rudely interrupted with your irrelevant rant on themepark endgames) is one of the few people who have started Bahamut's Coil (as far as I know no one has beaten it yet), that does not mean the content is easy by any means.

Easy content is beaten by a majority on their first attempt.  Easy content is the stuff you played before you quit (if you even played who knows), endgame content in ARR is far from easy.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

got my LNC to level 20, so I had storage space, unlocked 4 battle classes 2 craftting classes, 2 gathering classes. Working on my Marauder right now, got my Carpentry to 17, botany to 18. Still Not level 50. I dont fate grind...maybe i will with an alt class. but my main class just dont feel the need to rush to end game.

EVERY MMO in the last 10 years has some sort of Gear Grind at the end or token aquisistion. I do have to say that Lotros Relic system is a cool idea for end game, and rifts elemental atuning system seems a nice touch to end game mechanics. Once you hit end game what do you expect there to be? people complain about not ENOUGH content (usually the ones who rush threw the games) and never say what they mite want at end game, just state "Another Gear Grind"