Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel Free to Subscribers

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Beginning Thursday, September 12th, subscribers to Star Wars: The Old Republic will receive the first expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel, for free. Those who purchased the expansion previously will be granted an in-game title and a complimentary gift of Cartel Coins under certain restrictions.

Beginning September 12, 2013, active Subscribers will receive the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel free of charge as a newly added benefit to the Subscriber Rewards Program! Rise of the Hutt Cartel offers the breathtaking planet of Makeb, five new levels of story-driven missions increasing the level cap to 55, and exciting technology devices which unlock valuable rewards.

Additionally, players who have already purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel and are an active Subscriber on September 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT will receive a new title, “The Risen,” via in-game mail on or before September 25, 2013 as our appreciation for the purchase.

Finally, Subscribers who purchase Rise of the Hutt Cartel between August 11, 2013 and September 12, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT will be granted 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel. The 1050 Bonus Cartel Coins will be granted by September 13, 2013 at 9:00AM PDT / 4:00PM GMT.

Source: Star Wars: The Old Republic official site

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DarhammDarhamm Member UncommonPosts: 68

That's... great news, actually! I just recently bought the expansion myself, and some extra cc and a title is nothing to sneeze at!

*atchoo!*

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    I've got my waterproof hat, coat and lifeguard ready for the incoming squall or storm though a hurricanes a good bet. Glad I didn't purchase it when it released I save myself a whole £6 yippee! don't get the title *sad face*

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FregrinzFregrinz Member Posts: 4
    slap in face if you pre order and purchased this at release..
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    I have been thinking about trying SWTOR again. Been over a year so it is a good new for me. I will surely give it a try and see what has changed in last one year.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Translation: most non-subscribers didn't buy the expansion so maybe if we include it with a sub we can get those players to pay $14.95 to subscribe for a month to get it.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Ah you beat me to it this time Suzie :)

I don't mind this at all , obviously they are giving those CC away to the people that buy it between now and when it's free or no one would buy it between now and then , use your brains people. We also already got a hutt trainer holostatue and some other thing a pet was it , so yeah not bothered there either. The only thing that bothers me is the fact the game might be getting less popular for them to give the expansion away free so soon , but this will bring people in and at least we will have a few new subbs to try it out that way for at least a month.

It seems I was slightly mistaken , I thought the coins would be free from now up to a month's time , the word "purchase" confused me as it's not really future tense ( well for 36 hours it is or so ) and not fully past tense. So now not sure they should give just the recent people who bought it the free coins. Everything else I said is still okay though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Can't really say this is a bad thing or a particularly good thing. It's like when blizzard made their WoW companion app free when it was pretty stupid to charge money for it in the first place.
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162

Additionally, players who have already purchased Rise of the Hutt Cartel and are an active Subscriber on September 12 at 4:00AM PDT / 11:00AM GMT will receive a new title, “The Risen,” via in-game mail on or before September 25, 2013 as our appreciation for the purchase.

So because I'm not an active Subscriber they don't appreciate my purchase enough to grant me "The Risen" title?

Weak EA, weak.

:D

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I don't understand...do they want to run a freemium model or a subscription model? I wish they'd make up their mind.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    So it is free... so long as I pay for it? Seems legit!

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

EA made their money off of RotHC sales.... now sales have fallen to near zilch, and its suddenly "free".

Then there is the problem of subscribers getting "their money back", via free $10 worth of Cartel Coins, along with a free title, so long as they already bought the DLC.

EA: Just make the frickin game free already and stop playing games.  I understand you like media attention, and the RotHC announcement, then BIG announcement (RotHC release date), then Release, then free RotHC for subscribers, are just media hooks.

Milk the money, but damn .. give us better announcements, than the same content promos over and over.  I mean you reveal what any SWTOR player already knows (or already paid for) .......  Expect 1 year for SSSP.  ..!..

My bet is still the SSSP in late 2014 / mid 2015 :P

(1 year development, 6 months hassling the customers, 6 months promoting .. (6 months defending and promoting current content while SSSP is readied).  12 months fixing bugs)..... (SNAP!). 2016, there ya go.

edit: OK I was being silly .. the 12 months to fix bugs was a joke ..release it as soon as it's done, just like every content update to date.     2015.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

yea Im a little pissed I missed the cartel coins by 3 days.  

Just goes to show once Im done with a game I should just be done for good.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Who can be surprised?

EA hasn't alienated the remaining TOR customers in weeks now... something like this was due.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

I discuss my feelings about free Rise Of The Hutt Cartel here.

http://youtu.be/5HfbgqVDrXI 

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Awesome news. I just bought it last week and now I get some CC in return. I like it.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Wanted to come back and check out the changes, but the combined sub + expansion was off putting. Wish Funcom would do the same with AoC.

I don't see why its so hard for these developers to figure out monetisation. Either charge for the content in packs like TSW, or have a subscripton. Stop trying to do both, it just puts players off.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4

I discuss my feelings about free Rise Of The Hutt Cartel here.

http://youtu.be/5HfbgqVDrXI 

Commentaries deserve their own thread .. your other one didn't do so bad.

It's a good commentary to boot, knowledgeable, and a face behind the disagreement with EA / SWTOR.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402
    I've just started playing again as a subscriber and I must say, its quite enjoyable after all the polishing and performance fixing they've put in.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    I was going to resubscribed when i got my money (2 months off work killed my resources) glad to see i can get the expansion for free then. That will be nice.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Tierless
     OMG Star Was MMO history is repeating itself! Feel bad for the loyal people that paid for it.

it's going to as long as scummy greedy companies keep picking up the franchise (SOE, EA)

Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by Tierless
     OMG Star Was MMO history is repeating itself! Feel bad for the loyal people that paid for it.

it's going to as long as scummy greedy companies keep picking up the franchise (SOE, EA)

Star Wars is the biggest cash cow franchise ever, George Lucas invented a whole new way to make money on top from the film tickets in the 70's and Star Wars fans fall for it time and time again. Is it any surprise companies keep on doing it? Star Wars fans will open their wallets first then complain like the companies have come round their house and shot their cat.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Apparently giving away expansion packs is now a cardinal sin or something. /facepalm

EA / Bioware isn't a saint in any gamers eyes but the response to this is just 'really? FACEPALM' material.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

Apparently giving away expansion packs is now a cardinal sin or something. /facepalm

EA / Bioware isn't a saint in any gamers eyes but the response to this is just 'really? FACEPALM' material.

These are the same people they call other gamers "entitled" I bet you.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

People should be more worried that a game with such a big IP as this, has to resort to making a micro expansion already free just 6 months later to make news headlines to desperately keep it in the spotlights.

I mean, other games make News headlines with actual "exciting" content, features and expansion updates. You know.... give their customers encouragement and satisfaction that their game is still activily supported, instead of being completely milked to the point of nothing but laughable and sheer sadness.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by JeroKane

People should be more worried that a game with such a big IP as this, has to resort to making a micro expansion already free just 6 months later to make news headlines to desperately keep it in the spotlights.

This... not to mention even that seems pretty ineffective, I sent the news to a few peeps (former players, a few with CE) and the reactions spread from "who cares?" to "what cartel?" :) So while it's a nice gesture to the subscribers, I don't think it will boost sub numbers...

(of course only based on my limited experiences mentioned above; not a single one said "cool, let's resubscribe then")