Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

xbox 1 question!

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
Ok!I read some nonsense about a second GPU.not long ago today I had wrote to a guy about him making sure msix was enabled .this got my mind thinking about Xbox one design and msi-x.
By the way Xbox one look to be designed.I seems like the 30 mb will be used for msi-x and all stuff that usually use ram.
Wouldn't this be overkill.since ms never speak about existing product I doubt they would response to this question.but for those knowing today's standard regarding hpet timer apic apic 2 etc.am I right in thinking ms won't need so much GPU power because the way the processor is designed by ms everything will be done in real time?something today's computer just can't do.

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Mm!if I'm right !32 mb esram is 100+gb/s And pci3 top at 32gb/s
    Last I checked computer GPU do use the the pcie3 pipe.going from 32gb/s on computer pcie3 to 103 GB/s on the 32mb esram!means one thing this memory will buffer everything and process msi-x .basicly ms plan to realtime everything or close to!
    This is brilliant this means this would effectively fix the problem of various component sync and the need of a lot of computing power just to cover timer lacks!hell if I am right this is huge!
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    There is no denying that the 32MB ESRAM will be fast on the XBOX One, but what do you store in the 32MB?  Its really not that much when you consider how much memory modern games consume. If it can't be stored on the ESRAM, then the system is still waiting on fetches from the DDR3 memory. Obviously you could balance this by properly picking the components most likely to greatly benefit from the ESRAM like temporary data and physics you can pull out multiple times a frame, but its still going to be waiting on more memory intensive components like textures and geometry data.
    i searched a bit on server aide for th
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    they probably had to do it to support the gpu, as modern gpu's need DDR5, but, it still represents a huge bottleneck, which will only get worse as games become more graphically intensive. In the battle of the consoles, its this factor alone which means that the Xbone already lost the fight between it and the PS4. MS's selling point for the console is probably going to have to concentrate on things other than gaming, some people will probably like that about it, but anyone who is buying a console just for games will probably go for the more powerful PS4, unless they are determined to stick with MS due to brand loyalty.
    I read a bit of server side idea from ms (numa io optimisation.and I ll go on a limb here but it seem the ps4 as a a limitation .ioapic and msix are huge but standard way of implement I on doesn't handle that well in the situation.unless I miss understand the term 8 processor.was probably too close to the limit of hardware.one thing is sure NOBODY I MEAN NOBODY put a 100 GB/s cache of 30 mb on a customer CPU .so clearly at the hardware level ms asked the engender to make a fix.as for the gddr5 it won't Mather.I all say it again msi-x will equalize odd.I wish my ssd supported MSI.
    Only way Xbox one make sense is if CPU play fetcher and put data after the GPU.there would nothing for GPU to render since everything would already be rendered!GPU part is rendered ,server part is rendered CPU put not together and show .bother would already be rendered the 30 mb is for the server part ioapic and msi-x .it is separate from ram for two reason accuracy and prevent tempering(cheating)
    Mm!by the look of the spec it looks like esram is quad channel and ddr3 ram are also quad channel!
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Choosing a platform is frustrating as can be right now. I'm leaning on an 8 core pc build. I do have a ps4 on pre order but im just planning on dishing it off on ebay. Now you post this earth shattering news, and it weren't Microsoft I would just let it slide, but if Microsoft would just put windows os on thier machine, I would have an easy decision to make.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_random-access_machine This site explain the concept!ya as you can see it freakishly sound a lot like the Xbox one.now we know why they use esram.to remove the various hardware limit they didn't have the choice and this design only work with SRAM involved .this is my last post on the Xbox one.I hope ms will had 1080i option.I didn't expect ms to go this far!a lot of stuff they implemented are not consumer product technique!
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    This would truly be amazing and a serious game changer. This entire idea would shake up current pc market prices tremendously. I dont know what it will add to xbox one capability, but the sheer fact that at what appears to be an inferior machine turns out to actually be more technologically advanced than any game system for at least another year is very exciting. Imagine if we could retrofit our current pc configurations. I doubt performance will match ddr4 in a pound for pound system, but for people that want to squeeze everything out of thier system they can, this is definitely worth keeping an eye on.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    When it comes to these systems it is not about raw power. Its more about how the components inside the system works together. People look at these systems like they look at computers. Better gpu / cpu means better system. Its not that simple with consoles.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    There is no denying that the 32MB ESRAM will be fast on the XBOX One, but what do you store in the 32MB?  Its really not that much when you consider how much memory modern games consume. If it can't be stored on the ESRAM, then the system is still waiting on fetches from the DDR3 memory. Obviously you could balance this by properly picking the components most likely to greatly benefit from the ESRAM like temporary data and physics you can pull out multiple times a frame, but its still going to be waiting on more memory intensive components like textures and geometry data.

The depth buffer and the frame buffer don't take that much space, but do account for a large fraction of video memory reads and writes.  That would free up the standard video memory for accesses from textures that spread across a much larger space.

Mm!beats me!when was the last time you saw a quad channel eSRAM?I didn't even think it was possible .and from pram website it look like everything ms as said is right .but they need to attribute stuff differently.lol a new processor affinity would take what max a week for ms to have ready .so this isn't a biggy.am I reading right?each 8mb are quad channel?mm.