Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Consensus, I want to see where everyone is at.

DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Whether it is pay to play, free to play, or buy to play. Give me some feedback telling me truly what your views on gameplay mechanic preferences are.

So If you're on the Pub frequently, you've probably noticed that I like to post very controversial P2P/F2P topic posts. But payment method aside, and however the company achieves this gameplay, what would your preferences in the game be? Below I will describe a sandbox game, that I feel would be very successful, even in today's market. The reason i believe this is because the only games you have the option to play today are really just themeparks, I want to see that if a sandbox game was successfully released, and it was polished and executed well, if it would be successful payment method aside.

Simply vote yes, kind of, not really, or no and I just want to examine the feedback. No comments necessary unless it's something you'd personally change, or improve.

I'm not expecting negativity, but as this is the internet, just try to contain yourself if you are aware you are a troll.

.................................................................................................................

~So, you walk the expanse of a world rich with lore. It's either sci-fi or fantasy, I'll describe both here.
This expanse features about 50k people on a single mass-server. The race selection is a variety of brutish, intelligent, and the humanoid races, each one features distinct racial features pertaining to said lore, largely effecting gameplay, but making each race unique.

~You have a multitude of skills to level as well as combat abilities which can be trained to increase your efficiency with certain types of weapons, all weapons being usable by any race and character build. Said character build would completely custom and non-level effected (no levels). And said skills would increase your efficiency (speed/quantity/ability) in those skills.

~All gear degrades at a reasonable level making OP gear only feasible during certain bosses, and giving crafters a 24/7 demand for their knowledge or resources. Only crafters can repair gear, and drops from mobs are always resources, raids offer only resources and a few select items that are epic, but degrade as well rather than all gear drops and OP loot giving crafters any disadvantage.

~Drops from mobs are always resources, on a scale of quality. Raids will drop only rare qualities of resources rather than the best putting crafters at a disadvantage, but also allowing for strictly PvE players to get income, and certain special gears, or schematics that still degrade and are surpassible in quality by crafting. Certain legendary weapons or armors of the lore for example could drop, not being OP at all, but being a link to the lore and the player, still requiring repairs nonetheless.

~Upon death characters lose what is being carried on them.

~Dungeons could be instanced, for more advanced mob/boss mechanics or could be open for exploration and public grouping.
Raids would also be included, either large-scale PvP raids, or PvE raids also instanced and non-instanced. Raids would by no means strictly enforce combative PVE players to rule the game but rather give elite PvEr's or guilds a means to master or achieve new things and allow a new means of income for the PvE-centric players to work for. All this creating an even ground between combat-centric and crafting-centric players a balanced relationship within this world.

~An EVE-esque form of advanced industry/taxation on land/economy/crafting and the sorts, as well as politics governing guild land-territory ownership/ in-city home-owning auctioning as well as open world housing plots. Security levels similar to the safe-zone mechanics of EVE and open world PvP.

~Guilds could own large transports whether space-ships or sea-vessels for mass guild transportation as well as personal mounts/transportation. Guilds could own large pieces of land, and auction of the land.

~Home-owning/guild-hall crafting would be a long project collecting resources and the sorts making a guild-city and involved community-run project.

~And of course, the ability to travel as far as the eyes can see.

**Also, any thoughts on a completely unmapped and unmappable region of 'unexplored' land that players can take to new frontiers on harvesting rich resources and surviving unknown elements.
.......................................................................................................................
So what are you thoughts? Give or take a few minor details, overall how would you enjoy this?

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
Thank you for your patience.

Comments

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    You will lose a ton of people on  -

~Upon death characters lose what is being carried on them.

and

~All gear degrades at a reasonable level

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

I voted NO because I don't think your proposal would actually work. It feels like you are trying to appease everyone but the result is going to be nobody really being happy with the product. It looks like you tried to cross EVE with Everquest 1.

You need to pick features that go together and not try to do everything. Ideal feature model combinations for me are the Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxy Model and the Action Combat themepark like Vindictus. EQ-Next is trying to mix action combat with old school sand box design which has the potential to be really good.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    How do you "kind of " and "not really" play a game?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Novusod

You need to pick features that go together and not try to do everything.

I think I just heard Smed sobbing?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PalinrirPalinrir Member UncommonPosts: 15

I agree with Frostvein, you will lose people on those points (although I would still play the game regardless). I suggest making it to where only crafters can repair items, so that they would still be in demand, and also make something that fits into the lore that allows the player to keep items even after death.

Maybe have a ritual/spell if the game was high fantasy, or have some kind of implant system or a teleport system for a limited amount of items the player owns. 

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Icewhite

You need to pick features that go together and not try to do everything.

This has nothing to do with Smed. I am really talking about features that are impossible to go together like gear dropping on death and item decay combined with progression raiding.

Gear decay is fine if the best gear comes from crafting and there is a player driven economy. However, if there is raiding then there is a limited amount of items that ever enter the game. Progression raiding is based on the idea that players keep getting better gear to defeat harder raids. If the gear decays then you can't have that type of progression. A game that attempted this would fail almost instantly.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    No, I'm afraid you lost me on the Eve-like security.  As much as I admire EvE as a concept, that's just not the sort of environment I'm interested in.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I voted no. Because, I can't play a game that can't exist due to sheer impracticality and expense.

• DajagDajag Member Posts: 55

I voted NO because I don't think your proposal would actually work. It feels like you are trying to appease everyone but the result is going to be nobody really being happy with the product. It looks like you tried to cross EVE with Everquest 1.

You need to pick features that go together and not try to do everything. Ideal feature model combinations for me are the Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxy Model and the Action Combat themepark like Vindictus. EQ-Next is trying to mix action combat with old school sand box design which has the potential to be really good.

This is precisely what's wrong with the industry today, I feel a game developer should try to include everything, and stop giving us these half-baked games we are forced to play now. Oh we have action combat, and nothing else, worthless crafting, no housing, poor end game, no group dynamics, lazy PvP... the list goes on and on.

The last game I played that had a close to complete game was EQ2, SWG and Vangaurd, all other games have felt weak and left me empty. 

I agree that some of the original posters ideas colide; but the ideas are solid. Some gear should be bind and not losable if it takes weeks to get and so on.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

So If you're on the Pub frequently, you've probably noticed that I like to post very controversial P2P/F2P topic posts.

I've never seen you before, or if I have I instantly forgot you, so your "very controversial" posts must exist only in your head.  Sorry.

• DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Icewhite Originally posted by Novusod You need to pick features that go together and not try to do everything.
    This has nothing to do with Smed. I am really talking about features that are impossible to go together like gear dropping on death and item decay combined with progression raiding.

Gear decay is fine if the best gear comes from crafting and there is a player driven economy. However, if there is raiding then there is a limited amount of items that ever enter the game. Progression raiding is based on the idea that players keep getting better gear to defeat harder raids. If the gear decays then you can't have that type of progression. A game that attempted this would fail almost instantly.

Yes, my bad, what you said about the crafting/gear is the mechanic I had in mind, thanks for the input!

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I voted no,my biggest problem would be that the raids drop the best resources (that's fair enough) but then when you move on to next boss everyone whos already got a decent drop will bugger of back to town to drop of their hard earned resource so they don't lose it when/if they die on next boss .

Originally posted by Dibdabs
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi So If you're on the Pub frequently, you've probably noticed that I like to post very controversial P2P/F2P topic posts.
    I've never seen you before, or if I have I instantly forgot you, so your "very controversial" posts must exist only in your head.  Sorry.

Man, this isn't necessary, and has nothing to do with the poll, don't nag me for no reason.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

I voted not really, but it is mostly due to the dynamic you have set up between crafting and combat/raid mechanics. I would love to see a game where crafting and harvesting/gathering/mining/ leather-making/... are based only on the skills of the character and not on which zones a person can get to or whether or not they like to raid boss/dungeon mobs. I would like to see a game where the crafters can be 100% crafters without also having to be raiders or adventurers to be the best or make the best.

The other complaint I have, and it is not aimed at your design, is that in most games resources are tiered in some way.  Lets take copper as an example, it is usually the first tier metal in most games and is never really used much  in games after the first tiers of crafting. In real life Copper was one of the first metals used just as it is in most games, yet we still use copper today in very high tech ways. So I would like to see a game have crafting skill and some modified resource limiter on some key resources (example if gold is rare make the skill needed to mine/smelt gold high and the yield low) determine on what can be made instead of tiered resources and adventuring skills and level.  I think it is OK to have some raw materials be available from raid bosses or dungeons, but it really makes little sense that the only place they come from or can be found always has to be the most dangerous locations.  IMHO crafting in games should be equal to the combat in games in all ways. Crafting in most games seems to be an afterthought tacked on at the very end to just say look we have crafting.

Originally posted by Yyrkoon_PoM
    I voted not really, but it is mostly due to the dynamic you have set up between crafting and combat/raid mechanics. I would love to see a game where crafting and harvesting/gathering/mining/ leather-making/... are based only on the skills of the character and not on which zones a person can get to or whether or not they like to raid boss/dungeon mobs. I would like to see a game where the crafters can be 100% crafters without also having to be raiders or adventurers to be the best or make the best. The other complaint I have, and it is not aimed at your design, is that in most games resources are tiered in some way.  Lets take copper as an example, it is usually the first tier metal in most games and is never really used much  in games after the first tiers of crafting. In real life Copper was one of the first metals used just as it is in most games, yet we still use copper today in very high tech ways. So I would like to see a game have crafting skill and some modified resource limiter on some key resources (example if gold is rare make the skill needed to mine/smelt gold high and the yield low) determine on what can be made instead of tiered resources and adventuring skills and level.  I think it is OK to have some raw materials be available from raid bosses or dungeons, but it really makes little sense that the only place they come from or can be found always has to be the most dangerous locations.  IMHO crafting in games should be equal to the combat in games in all ways. Crafting in most games seems to be an afterthought tacked on at the very end to just say look we have crafting.
    True! unique view on the use of lower-rarity mats as well, That would be very interesting always having a use for that more common material. Thanks for the input!

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I won't play any progression raid game anymore..  Whether it be crafting mats or gear..  I'm done with that carrot chase years ago..  I have no objection to people raiding for shits and giggles, but no way should they have a choke hold on gear and/or mats to make gear.. 
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I voted yes because I would play it if it existed, but I too think that the gear degradation and item loss aspects don't really go well with progression based raiding. It wouldn't stop me from playing it though. I think it's pretty counter productive for people to vote no simply because they don't think the game would succeed. 
  • aspectofgoreaspectofgore Member Posts: 17
    Sounds like a fun game, would play it for sure

Originally posted by Rydeson
         I won't play any progression raid game anymore..  Whether it be crafting mats or gear..  I'm done with that carrot chase years ago..  I have no objection to people raiding for shits and giggles, but no way should they have a choke hold on gear and/or mats to make gear.. 
    Wow I'm getting a resounding negative feedback from the raids! This is interesting, now, I'll edit the post after this cutting out the raids, but this was my original intent...

So, you and your guild are looking for an awesome challenge, so you want to spend the night going hardcore using your latest gear and mastering your roles in combat, testing all this out in this new instanced raid. I personally would find that to be cool to have the option to go running these raids with this awesome new gear you obtained, even better with the high stakes full loot drops!

As for mats, what you would recieve is nothing more than what you would find on rare material nodes/ areas. So basically you can find a good alternative to moneymaking if your not an intense crafter. Also, just legendary gear drops, no better than crafting abilities can obtain, would drop and it would be cool to connect with an item from the lore of the game.

Just some thoughts :P

Thanks all for the great feedback! Interesting results!

:EDIT: Soz, I slightly altered the raid mechanics description to provide a means for elitist PvErs and guilds looking for a challenge to prove themselves and gain moderate income, rather than an OP advantage over crafting. It also allows a new link between player and lore by allowing rare drops of certain mythical gears, more as an aesthetic touch for roleplayers rather than an OP gear for people.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I voted "kind of" because there was no "let me see the results" AND I CAN'T NOT VOTE ON A POLL!

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by VassagoMael
    I voted "kind of" because there was no "let me see the results" AND I CAN'T NOT VOTE ON A POLL!
    :P polls are fun lol

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    DAOC has warped me. I cannot play a game that does not have world class faction conflict.Soooo I wander.....looking and not finding the next DAOC.
  • 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

The main problem with the best gear being craftable is no matter the system of obtaining the materials someone will script it dupe it or bypass it.

If you can manage to fix that problem we could have a decent crafter based economy again and hence the sandbox game can be on top again.

Look even those vocal about being fans of theam parks are only on that bus because of the real problems the sandbox presents.

Players who manipulate the system!

Weather it be bots or scripts or exploits and dupes in a sandbox these problems have a HUGE impact on the everyday players experiance. In a theampark it only effects a small portion of players usualy the PvP group.

Otherwise I love the idea but to touch on one thing with non instanced spawns in dungeons, spawn rate.

Yea materials gathered need to have a spawn rate that doesnt make it so time consuming and boring but balanced enough that it doesnt flood the market too easily.

Not an easy problem.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I just want challenging combat, no one week to max level, multiple things to do or ways to level, grouping encouraged to the point most people would do it, some realism, very little insta-travel, mobs that use multiple tactics/unpredictable, some death penalty and community building mechanics. Is this so much to ask?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

@Op..

What i look for in a game is a massive undertaking,i could not give a full account in less than many paragraphs.I give both developer and game a grade based on everything.

I can actually scan several ideas on game development as soon as i enter a game ,within the first 10 minutes.If i see enough bad signs,i might log out in those 10 minutes,if it is hit n miss ,i might need to play for much longer.

I can tell immediately how mush effort the developer put into their game and there are a lot of signs.

NONE of it matters if the pay plan is not right,i do not like to be fooled or not know exactly what i am getting and how i pay for it,that does not happen anywhere else in the real world except in banks with interest rates but usually we know exactly what we are getting into to.

When a developer does NOT give me the straight up n up,they are up to no good,hiding something or simply being snaky,i don't like that.When i use my personal criteria for quality of a game ,i only use that when the pay plan is right,otherwise i give the developer a real low grade and not necessarily the  game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.